The Old Camera Angle (closer) VS The New Camera Angle (farther and higher)

+

The Old Camera Angle (closer) VS The New Camera Angle (farther and higher)

• The Old Camera Angle (closer to Geralt)

Votes: 135 60.5%
  • The New Camera Angle (farther and higher)

Votes: 88 39.5%

• Total voters
This is a case where I don't understand why it has to be either\or.

Exactly. It should be a question of choice which, for a lot of people I imagine, will be a closer cam for exploration and a farther out action cam for combat. I don't know why so many people are knocking the closer view because of combat since most comments I read are only talking about the close view for walking/jogging; for atmosphere.

Strangely enough, sidspyker brought up Ryse as an example of the way things shouldn't be done but I was gonna actually post to say that Ryse is exactly the kind of angle I want :) Though again I must stress, not for combat. Funnily enough sid also goes on to say it's a great angle for 'beauty shots' but that's kinda the whole reason me and others are asking about it. It can look amazing right? Or else you wouldn't take screenshots would you? :)

A simple mouse wheel is all most people are asking for it seems and, thank god, it looks like we may get one after those tweets the other day. I'd just love some clarification on the exact options available since the game, with its beautiful, huge open world to explore, has got me so excited.

EDIT: Just read the remainder of the posts....no zoom or different cam positions then? :cry:

Last edited:
A simple mouse wheel is all most people are asking for it seems and, thank god, it looks like we may get one after those tweets the other day. I'd just love some clarification on the exact options available since the game, with its beautiful, huge open world to explore, has got me so excited.

Ever explored a world through a narrow FOV and with a 3rd person character that blocks 1/3rd of your view? On a 16:9/16:10 PC-monitor? You should try it for real. It's a pain in the behind.

Ever explored a world through a narrow FOV and with a 3rd person character that blocks 1/3rd of your view? On a 16:9/16:10 PC-monitor? You should try it for real. It's a pain in the behind.

The Witcher 2 did the same. But to cope with this problem (view blocking), they brought the camera level above Geralt, so that you couldn't see his feet unless you were running

Notice how you feel more disconnected from Geralt in the 3rd picture? If only they could add an option to make the camera the same as TW2, I wouldn't be complaining anymore :]

This is how it would look like in TW2 zoom mode:

Also, I noticed that the TW2 camera never let Geralt take more than 1/2 of your screen's vertical space, which is probably why it was playable at the time

Last edited:

Sorry, I don't get what you mean. Have you got an example? What did you think of Ryse? Dead Space? Mass Effect when you have weapons out? Is that what you mean?

I don't see why people want the camera so close behind Geralt for. I want to see the beautiful world, not Geralt's arse in my face. With him hoggin most of the screenspace lol.

I specifically modded TW2, back a few years ago, for the camera initially, because it gave me nausia.

I seriously hate those close up/OTS cameras, and some people love them (yuck ;p). If there's a simple camera distance option, then I don't see what the problem is, hopefully everybody wins?.

Edit: also, there's usually a slope to the zooming of camera distance in games, so it would naturally get a bit higher the closer you get to Geralt, and lower the further you zoom out, to compensate.

Last edited:
I don't see how that enhances immersion. I do see how it could force you to swing the camera around more to view your surroundings, especially in combat. At any rate, I think we can expect mods for this, maybe even before REDkit arrives.

I dont think all these pictures prove anything besides the fact that "Immersion" is highly subjective. Personally, I dont feel any more disconnected in the zoomed out examples. Red Dead Redemption has a pulled back camera just like Witcher and I found that to be one of the most immersive games in recent memory.

It is too bad CDPR isnt offering a toggle but, as others have said, it'll probably be among the first mods just as it has for the previous game.

Have to agree with OP. Always prefer closer camera in a 3rd Peron RPG.When you zoom out it becomes too MMORPG/"Gamey",which I don't like.

It takes out the intensity in some encounters too.Its really a matter of immersion.I am not trying to play a RTS game in Witcher 3.

Extreme example but it illustrates the issue.The more zoomed out you are the more "toyish" everything becomes and gritty detail is lost.

Last edited:
OK, last comparison, I promise :)

Some pics of Ryse: Son of Rome. IMO, should the camera be any farther, it would break the immersion

Moments before running into a battle

Woah, don't fall down there. Cliffs look a lot more dangerous

Escape from the enemies!

All those games we've been playing for the last decade or more must be crying their hearts out for being so 'immersion breaking'.

All those games we've been playing for the last decade or more must be crying their hearts out for being so 'immersion breaking'.

Absolutely not. Platformers don't need to be immersive. Any technical RTS game doesn't need to be immersive either. RPGs like D:OS are immersive for their narrative. Same for Dragon Age, because you're always switching back and forth between your party members. All FPS games are already as immersive as they could be. I can't really think of any good examples off the top of my head which would fit the criteria for what you're describing

*everytime I say immersion = spatial immersion

edit: just to name a few games which are very similar to TW3 (= you control one main character):
Watch Dogs, Batman, Dark Souls, Mass Effect, Mordor, Ryse, Skyrim, Assassins Creed Unity, Uncharted, - are games where the camera is closer. there must be a reason why they all share this same technical aspect

Last edited:
OK, last comparison, I promise :)

Some pics of Ryse: Son of Rome. IMO, should the camera be any farther, it would break the immersion

Moments before running into a battle

Woah, don't fall down there. Cliffs look a lot more dangerous

Escape from the enemies!

See, this looks awful to me. It reminds me of the Order where I often find myself having to rotate the camera around because the character is in the way and obstructing the view.

Dark Souls has almost if not the same camera distance that The Witcher 3^^

True, but that's only when you run. The FOV also seems lower. Once you stop moving, the camera clips in real close to the character, so it's more zoomed in a sense. I guess it's not the best example, (especially for the fact that it keeps the same camera angle while in combat), but the difference is still there

Although this is a little better I guess? It's from the PAX gameplay video.

View attachment 12056

Now, as much as I agree with most people here (in the way that I'm loving the further away camera for the combat), I also see the point of @wavebend: A little bit closer camera (not as close as Ryse or ME though, that would suck... :) ) would be better for walking/jogging for me too. An option would be perfect for this I believe. And if CDPR doesn't provide it, I'm sure there will be tweaks to the camera really soon. It's not that big of a deal for me, but like I said, I can see the point.

Attachments

• Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 113
I would be in favor of an actual option to choose, because to be honest, on the one hand I understand that somce camera angles are just too narrow and too close to the character and I really understand that some people get motion sick when having to narrow FOVs, on the other hand, I PERSONALLY loved the camera angle of TW2, it was VERY immersive for me, something I can not say for the camera angle of those TW3 scenes we have seen so far, it just makes me feel disjointed from Geralt.

* That being said I agree that the camera in Rise is just WAY too close, making the character take up too much place on the screen.
I say take TW2 as an example and give us this exact view as an alternate option, that would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Top Bottom