The one thing that bugs me about characters in this game...

+
The one thing that bugs me about characters in this game...

Every female in this game that is a quest NPC seems to have their shirts unbuttoned or they are dressed like a lot of college girls dress for Halloween parties (this isn't an insult or a stereotype... I'm in college and I've witnessed this first hand lol). I don't understand it at all and it bugs me because the world resembles a medieval world and yet most of the female NPC cast of this game dress as if they want to draw attention to their cleavage.

It's jarring to be honest, as the setting of the game's world makes it seem like women wouldn't dress this way with the way the social hierarchy seems to work in the game. I mean, I was on a quest where a women practically had to beg her husband to be able to help another NPC with something, just because the husband automatically assumed that his wife was going to be a hooker (even though she'd explained that wasn't true and as if she wasn't capable of any other job...). It doesn't seem like men would even allow women to dress in this way without being total assholes about it in a world like this, unless the women were prostitutes.

Hmm I don't know personally and I'm sure there could be a huge debate about this. But most of the women you say are dressed skimpy are the ones that are more the strong/independent types. The ones who wouldnt allow husbands etc to tell them what to wear. Such as the witch's, ciri, a certain special forces soldier etc. The only other women I've seen like this are in fact the hookers.

Now maybe I'm wrong and there are indeed others. I've played this game a long time and my memory is not so good. In the end this is a mature game in a fantasy and very sexual world.

Last edited:
Hmm I don't know personally and I'm sure there could be a huge debate about this. But most of the women you say are dressed skimpy are the ones that are more the strong/independent types. The ones who wouldnt allow husbands etc to tell them what to wear. Such as the witch's, ciri, a certain special forces soldier etc. The only other women I've seen like this are in fact the hookers.

Now maybe I'm wrong and there are indeed others. I've played this game a long time and my memory is not so good. In the end this is a mature game in a fantasy and very sexual world.
Maybe that's it. If this was true though, does this mean all the peasants (aka "normal people") are weak minded and there are no strong women among them... That doesn't seem to make sense to me.

1 - thats not the case

2 - i could go and take screen shots of many quest female without cleavage but i dont have time

3 - you're exaggerating the matter

4 - do you have problems with cleavage ? are you a boobs racist ? or worse a misogynist ? because you know in my country the only peoples that talk like you about how a women should dress are the islamists

Last edited:
Maybe that's it. If this was true though, does this mean all the peasants (aka "normal people") are weak minded and there are no strong women among them... That doesn't seem to make sense to me.

I feel it's more along the lines of the fact that these women already posses power and couldn't give a damn about how they are perceived. Not saying the other women are weak minded maybe just not willing to be labeled a certain way out of fear? In the end it's a game and motivations will never really be clear.

In the example that you gave of the npc not willing to help for fear of what the husband would say etc is a clear sign of this. To be honest medieval times were not the best for women. They were clearly defined by the men in their lives. Husbands, sons etc. Those thought to be different or unique were often burned alive.

In any case trying to impart modern ideas on a medieval fantasy type world doesn't really work.

1 - thats not the case

2 - i could go and take screen shots of many quest female without cleavage but i dont have time

3 - you're exaggerating the matter

4 - do you have problems with cleavage ? are you a boobs racist ? or worse a misogyny ? because you know in my country the only peoples that talk like you about how a women should dress are the islamists
I'm gay... So I could honestly care less how women dress sense I don't look at woman as sexual objects but for their personality traits. I just happened to notice in the game the contrast to how a lot of the main quest women dress to how women are treated within the game, and that it doesn't really make sense.

If I was a woman that lived in a world like the world that is displayed within the Witcher's lore, I'd honestly be afraid to dress like that for fear of being burned alive or beaten to death by narrow minded men. Women aren't exactly treated well in the Witcher. That's why I said it doesn't really make sense to me.

Also you might want to not assume things about people when you don't know them.

Last edited:
I'm gay... So I could honestly care less how women dress sense I don't look at woman as sexual objects but for their personality traits. I just happened to notice in the game the contrast to how a lot of the main quest women dress to how women are treated within the game, and that it doesn't really make sense.

If I was a woman that lived a world like the world that is displayed within the Witcher's lore, I'd honestly be afraid to dress like that for fear of being burned alive or beaten to death by narrow minded men. Women aren't exactly treated well in the Witcher. That's why I said it doesn't really make sense to me.

Also you might want to not assume things about people when you don't know them.

Yep this pretty sums it up. As stated in my previous post. As you said the fear of being burned alive etc would definitely deter women from dressing this way. Which is why to the best of my knowledge the only women that you see dressed like this are some of the most powerful in the Witchers world. Or arguably at least moderately powerful. Even Ves whom holds no magic and dresses this way is strong in her own way. Probably able to take any man on a 1 to 1 sword fight.

I'm trying to think of any NPC women who don't fall into this category or that of a hooker that dress skimpy. I can't seem to recall a single one.

If I was a woman that lived a world like the world that is displayed within the Witcher's lore, I'd honestly be afraid to dress like that for fear of being burned alive or beaten to death by narrow minded men. Women aren't exactly treated well in the Witcher. That's why I said it doesn't really make sense to me.

Yeah, however did the Spice Girls survive the nineties ?

I could honestly care less how women dress sense I don't look at woman as sexual objects but for their personality traits.

Are you absolutely sure about this? Have an honest think about it. And could you be by any chance treating a game differently from the real world? ANd wouldn't you be right to treat them differently?

except that the W3 world is huge, not every region has narrow minded peoples, and you have different classes , peasants the richer ect ... the higher you go the less peoples care about how a women should dress or not, or are more open minded if you will, that dosnt mean peasants are chasing womens just because they are showing some cleavages tho

its more complicated than " a women should dress like x or y because the world is like this " and it reflect perfectly our own world with all its complexity , not because ther's risk of murder or rape everywhere mean that womens should be wearing bags of cloths all over themselves, that would be very reducing for womens

Last edited:
except that the W3 world is huge, not every region has narrow minded peoples, and you have different classes , peasants the richer ect ... the higher you go the less peoples care about how a women should dress or not, or are more open minded if you will, that dosnt mean peasants are chasing womens just because they are showing some cleavages tho

its more complicated than " a women should dress like x or y because the world is like this " and it reflect perfectly our own world with all its complexity , not because ther's risk of murder or rape everywhere mean that womens should be wearing bags of cloths all over themselves, that would be very reducing for womens

I would argue that the higher you go in the social hierarchy the more people would care how you dress/act.

And I realize while a world whether in books or videos games doesn't need to reflect perfectly our world. This is normally the case. Where else is inspiration drawed from? Saying that the Medieval Era obviously has many comparisons with the Witcher world.

In those days women were indeed killed, raped and burned alive for standing out. Prositutes were probably only exempt because of the service they provided. Even these were called heretics and killed. The women who were 'reduced' as you say we're probably the ones to live the longest. Feminism was not a thing back than as its not a thing in the Witcher world.

But I degress. Admittedly this thread is getting a little out of hand and probably headed for a swift close very soon.

Trying to figure out the fictional representation of dark ages eastern Europe society? ;)

Seriously, though, in the books, it is explained that sorceresses alter their appearance and clothing with magic for a maximum of sensual effect... they know nobody can touch them, and their use their feminine wiles manipulate and distract the men around them. The power dynamics of this world are quite a bit more old fashioned than what we get with out modern sensibilities... women might SEAM worse of in this harsh world controlled by powerful men, just as it was in the real middle/dark ages, but they really aren't.

As said above, all the characters with cleavage have established 'power' and don't need to be frightened for their chastity ;).

If you ask me you're seeing something that isn't there.

assumed that his wife was going to be a hooker
To be fair, she was going to work in a place that is/used to be a brothel and the guy seemed rather unintelligent(to put it mildly). I don't see what this has to do with the way people dress though. Most villagers are dressed very traditionally.

Next thing you know people will start complaining about sailors walking around without a shirt on.

Yeah, however did the Spice Girls survive the nineties ?

Are you absolutely sure about this? Have an honest think about it. And could you be by any chance treating a game differently from the real world? ANd wouldn't you be right to treat them differently?
I know you must have seen the part where I said I was gay even though you left that out of the part you quoted for some reason... So yes, I'm very sure I don't look at women as sexual objects lol

---------- Updated at 10:49 AM ----------

As said above, all the characters with cleavage have established 'power' and don't need to be frightened for their chastity ;).

If you ask me you're seeing something that isn't there.

To be fair, she was going to work in a place that is/used to be a brothel and the guy seemed rather unintelligent(to put it mildly). I don't see what this has to do with the way people dress though. Most villagers are dressed very traditionally.

Next thing you know people will start complaining about sailors walking around without a shirt on.
I guess I just don't equate power with how one dresses, so I never really thought about it that way.

If you want to complain about how someone dresses, look at Ves:p. Though that's also (partly) discuss in the game itself.

I guess I just don't equate power with how one dresses, so I never really thought about it that way.

to quote your original post
It doesn't seem like men would even allow women to dress in this way...

Doesn't the fact you formulate it this way illustrate that, even for you, it is about 'power'. If there is no one to 'disallow' them to dress a certain manner nor do they have to fear of being assaulted, why shouldn't they dress the way they want?

If you want to complain about how someone dresses, look at Ves:p. Though that's also (partly) discuss in the game itself.

to quote your original post

Doesn't the fact you formulate it this way illustrate that, even for you, it is about 'power'. If there is no one to 'disallow' them to dress a certain manner nor do they have to fear of being assaulted, why shouldn't they dress the way they want?
I was talking about power as in female sorcerer's magical powers, and not equating this to how they dressed.

It's their game and art.

You don't ask an artist, painter to change his art because you feel it bugs you.

Every female in this game that is a quest NPC seems to have their shirts unbuttoned or they are dressed like a lot of college girls dress for Halloween parties

I know you must have seen the part where I said I was gay even though you left that out of the part you quoted for some reason... So yes, I'm very sure I don't look at women as sexual objects lol

I left it out because its irrelevant, Please don't deflect by positioning a sexual conflict between us. You came here to complain about the ONE aspect of female characters that struck you the most, and its a sexual characteristic. Just because it doesn't arouse you it doesn't follow that you are not still viewing women on sexual terms. Fact is you totally appear to be doing it right now.
(this isn't an insult or a stereotype... I'm in college and I've witnessed this first hand lol).

Actually, it kind of is since you appear convinced there is only a single explanation for visible cleavage.

I don't understand it at all and it bugs me because the world resembles a medieval world and yet most of the female NPC cast of this game dress as if they want to draw attention to their cleavage.

Well, you're no Medieval Scholar. You've just spouted the simplistic one-liner that while generally sums up the Zeitgeist of the +1000 years & wide geography of Europe we call the dark ages, it is certainly not the case at all times, situations, and locales. There were cultures & events were women would indeed go bare-chested in total disregard for your conception which is entirely based on modern mores, aye even beyond the approximate date of the Witcher.

I left it out because its irrelevant, Please don't deflect by positioning a sexual conflict between us. You came here to complain about the ONE aspect of female characters that struck you the most, and its a sexual characteristic. Just because it doesn't arouse you it doesn't follow that you are not still viewing women on sexual terms. Fact is you totally appear to be doing it right now.

I don't view clothing in sexual terms. I made a connection to how some female NPCs dress ingame to how some females dress in the real world. Please get it right at least. Also I wasn't "deflecting to position a sexual conflict between us." The way you last quoted me made it sound as if you doubted that I didn't care how women dressed, as if it bothered me. It doesn't bother me though since I don't pay attention to it, the only reason I noticed it in the Witcher 3 is because it just didn't seem to fit with the setting. I wasn't thinking anything about it in sexual terms.

Honestly, usually the farthest thought from head is how people choose to dress.. .Dress codes annoy me in fact (the fact that I can't wear my hemp sweater to work because it "suggests a certain lifestyle" is up near the top of my list when it comes to the dumbest things I've heard).

Actually, it kind of is since you appear convinced there is only a single explanation for visible cleavage.

I actually didn't have an explanation, I just didn't see how it made much sense compared to the way the rest of the world was portrayed. I mean, I don't see men dressing in muscle shirts or tank tops in any of the Witcher games.

Well, you're no Medieval Scholar. You've just spouted the simplistic one-liner that while generally sums up the Zeitgeist of the +1000 years & wide geography of Europe we call the dark ages, it is certainly not the case at all times, situations, and locales. There were cultures & events were women would indeed go bare-chested in total disregard for your conception which is entirely based on modern mores, aye even beyond the approximate date of the Witcher.

My example was a broad generalization, obviously there were cultures that had women walking around bare-chested, but those had nothing to do with the "civilized" European countries (quotes because in my opinion no one knows when a culture or group of people are civilized, it's all opinion), and those cultures and people were often looked down upon as "savages." I know enough about the Medieval period to know at least that much.
Read the text in red.

Last edited:
Yeah some women look like Victoria's Secret models of 2015. I think they should also add women with less teeth and dirt faces and poor clothes on.

Are we playing the same game? Most females don't have any cleavage. If anything we need more cleavage.
On a sidenote, why didn't you complain about the many men walking around shirtless?

Top Bottom