The Operator Battle (Might Contain Spoilers)

+
The Operator Battle (Might Contain Spoilers)

This battle is maybe the hardest battle I've ever experienced in my whole gaming carreer!

I was in the early phase of chapter 3. Make it to level 30 with about 14 talents unspent. I'm playing on normal mode. Just wanted to say that it's a damn hard battle, and I won it maybe mostly because of luck! It took me 4 and a half hours of nonstop tries before I can finally finish this guy!

Tried everything, and after about 2 hours without results, there comes the swearing and all. The other 2 and a half I was just desperate and think hard of how to beat this guy. Tried different signs, different potions combinations, different talent allocations with the 14 unspent talents. I spent most of my talents at the swordsman path. With +1 vigor at the sorcerer path, and +bomb damage at the alchemist path. My sword is Arbitrator embedded with 2 ysgith rune, and the silver one is Blood Sword with 2 ysgith rune and +10 vitality both enhanced with whetstone. Armor is Draug Armor, Superb Nilfgaardian Boots, forgot the trousers, Alchemist Glove, and draug trophy. The potions I used was Swallow and Golden Oriole.

And after 4,5 hours of miserable, nonstop swearing experience, The Operator finally went down for good! The key to my style of playing is simple, I don't know if this works for anybody else, but the key is Dancing Star. Throw lots of em! Burn the whole place down! I don't bother changing the swords, since I tried them, and it wasn't work for me. I used Blood Sword only. When the gargoyle appears I cast Quen, dodging around, and when there's enough space, I throw lots of Dancing Star all over the place, and see if there's an opportunity for killing the gargoyles. It seems that Dancing Star's flame do damage to The Operator even when his shield's on, and do quite damage for the gargoyles. And if you're lucky, The Operator might incinerated, which forbid him from casting those shitty fireballs at you! And finally, if there's an opportunity (after the third wave of gargoyles) finish him!!

Phew... I gotta tell you I almost jumped out of my seat and swearing at the monitor at 2.30 PM when that sucker went down. And now I'm so sleepy, yet I need to work. Great job, CDPR. Now you guys responsible for making me have to go to work with the state like I've just had 8 rounds in bed.

Great game this is :)

Congratulations - it feels great when you finally get him, doesn't it? And yes, the hardest fight in the game. (And yes, Dancing Star rules)

It feels really great! I don't think I ever had this kind of difficulty in this game's other bosses. I beat Kayran the on my first try, beat Draug on my first try, beat Letho after few tries. The other battle that I remember that's quite frustrating and require me more than ten tries before this one, is when fighting the Wraiths in Melitele's Heart quest. But this one... whoa... I lost count. It should be more than a hundred tries I guess...

Damn operator. I had to look at wiki for possible poitions, get best gear possible a yet it took like 20 minutes to finally win( I was trying to kill him for 2 hours before).

I went for sword skill tree and played on normal. I had to get Vran armor, upgraded my Deithwen(silver sword with 25% damage to gargogyles) with runes and with that bonus 20% damage whetstone. I also upgraded Vran armor with enhancments for 6 armor and drinked Rook(10% damage), Tiara(10% armor) and Virga(20% armor -25% all critical chances) and lastly used trophy with 8 bonus armor. I had over 100 armor. It still took me like 5-6 tries but luckily I found out that if I stun gargogyle with aard I can kill him with one silver sword blow(from back of course). Operator himself is then actually quite easy foe without those gargogyles. Hope this might help someone beacouse it is quite easy to do this way. Also with all this stuff dragon and Letho were so easy to kill I couldn´t believe(I could let Letho hitting me and I was loosing just little pieces of health).

Anyway operator is tough bas*ard but winning that fight was most satisfying thing in whole game.

I'm with @broccolisoup on how to play this one. I challenge the Operator with characters who have developed some signcasting skills, take out the gargoyles with Aard, and the Operator himself with Igni.

1- don't even draw your steel sword ! just throw dancing stars at him when his shield is gone.
2- quen lv2 could help you a lot, as it would shock the attacking gargoyles and grant you the split second needed to get away.
3- recommend drinking virga, swallow and rook and coating your silver blade with falka's blood.
4- cast yrdan before gargoyles jump down and then try to lead one of them to the trap and just fight the other one.
5- try to keep the operator's position in your mind to more effectively dodge his fire balls.
6- hit gargoyles with quick slash when in front of them. when they blocked, quickly roll around and use heavy strike.
7- keep in mind that gargoyles have low stun resistance, so both the aard and zerrikanian sun would come in handy.

1- don't even draw your steel sword ! just throw dancing stars at him when his shield is gone.
2- quen lv2 could help you a lot, as it would shock the attacking gargoyles and grant you the split second needed to get away.
3- recommend drinking virga, swallow and rook and coating your silver blade with falka's blood.
4- cast yrdan before gargoyles jump down and then try to lead one of them to the trap and just fight the other one.
5- try to keep the operator's position in your mind to more effectively dodge his fire balls.
6- hit gargoyles with quick slash when in front of them. when they blocked, quickly roll around and use heavy strike.
7- keep in mind that gargoyles have low stun resistance, so both the aard and zerrikanian sun would come in handy.

^This is basically how I beat him. Yrden, Aard and Zerrikanian Sun for the gargoyles; Dancing Star for the Operator. Best fight in the game, I hope they learned from designing this battle and we see more of it in TW3.

I remember first time I played is was something similar...2 hours strugle to kill him..
But when you learn that Alchemy is strongest build, at max level, you can kill him with 2 hits.. so you have to kill gargoyles once, max twice..

So I finally beat the Operator today -- on my 14th playthrough of TW2, and on Dark Mode, and without any of the Dark armors. It was the first time I attempted to fight him. I died 30-40 times.

My build was a mix of sign talents and some alchemy, including the talent that takes away any penalty for using White Raffard's decoction, which nearly doubles your hp. I used that plus swallow plus another potion for regenerating vigor. My armor, sword and trophy all contained bonuses for making my signs more powerful. I also used mutagens for increasing the chances of critical effects. I didn't use any talents for increasing the power of oils or bombs.

During the fight I made heavy use of aard, the heliotrope talent and dancing star bombs. (Funny how I also came to the same conclusion as the OP of this thread.) I did not use quen. The Operator spawned 6 gargoyles, and I killed each of them with aard plus a finishing move after a critical effect (they often get dazed by aard). I killed the Operator himself mostly with bombs, because they have range and it makes it easier to dodge his fire attack if you're far away from him.

I fought only using the silver sword, and I put away the steel sword so Geralt wouldn't take it out at the start of the fight. Needing to switch swords during a fight is too cumbersome.

How about one-shotting operator on dark mode? I did it with alchemist build+oathbreaker set. Just drink Rook, Thunderbolt, apply Hangman's on your Steel Sword, activate berserk (adrenaline buff) and hit him with strong attack. 849 damage in one hit just like that. He doesn't even summon Goyles, he dies in one hit. It should be possible with any steel sword from chapter 3.

Last edited:
Hah there goes the "epic" part of the battle. :p

I'm intrigued to try it out though.

It's easy mode with alchemist build in third chapter, but its very challenging when it comes to fighting with Draug. You can't use potions/oils on him, so you'll have to kill him basically without talents. I had full oathbreaker's but i killed him at 50. or so attempt.

Top Bottom