The Over-40 Hang-out

+
gamewidow said:
that *is* what it says :) translation previously included
Actually my translation isn't perfect. 'Quam minimum credula postero' is more like 'place the least possible trust in the future' but that makes the English much more cumbersome than the latin and I was trying to capture the terseness of the original.And remember: in faecibus, sapiens rheum propagabit.

RogueRoxy said:
Oh! Oh! Just remembered a good one:Sibili si ergoManibus es in eroNobili demis truxSewatis inemCowsenduxAn Oren to the winner!~ Roxy
The benefits of a classical education:See Billy, see her goMany busses in a row.No, Billy, them is trucksSee what is in them, Cows and ducks.I also know that 'sic transit gloria mundi' means 'Gloria was sick in the van on Monday'.

SimonBrooke said:
SimonBrooke said:
Oh! Oh! Just remembered a good one:Sibili si ergoManibus es in eroNobili demis truxSewatis inemCowsenduxAn Oren to the winner!~ Roxy
The benefits of a classical education:See Billy, see her goMany busses in a row.No, Billy, them is trucksSee what is in them, Cows and ducks.I also know that 'sic transit gloria mundi' means 'Gloria was sick in the van on Monday'.
That was fast. I have to wait 21 hrs. to reward you. Sorry. Only error was that it's 'SO what is in them?'
Good job.~ Roxy

SimonBrooke said:
The benefits of a classical education:
Since you enjoy showing off so much, tell us what the words under your picture mean.(Yes, I know what it means. You'll enjoy enlightening us more. :) )

MikeDanger said:
Umm Hmmm. One line zingers. What else does this town have to offer?
That's about all we're good for most of the time, but if you'd like to see a thoughtful discussion of serious issues, feel free to start one -- several of us will probably join in.

That's just it Corylea. It's not all that you're good for. There is a very bright group that hangs out here, you in particular. My reply last night was on the bad vibe side and one I regret. No excuses. Your over 40 post was one for others to say what they please and we are all fortunate for such a realm.So, I would like to mention that one reason I visit this Witcher hang out is not just because the game is so well written, excellent game pace, interesting settings, or just the fun I have. But for me, there is something else I can't quite put my finger on. I'm taking my time with this game so as to draw out the time I have with it. I only have a few nights a week at this computer anyway to play it on, but even so I may have never paced myself so slowly rather than want to get to the finish to move on to the next game. Even visiting here is a means of involving myself with other Witcher ideas and related discussion rather than completing the game. I quess I'm just savoring something I enjoy and something my imagination can wrap around. But for now, I've got a ton of stuff to kill in this crypt so, thanks for having me.

I never made to the crypt. 20 times. Wasn't the first time the best though? If not, I'm curious what you are doing to enhance each time through.

MikeDanger said:
I never made to the crypt. 20 times. Wasn't the first time the best though? If not, I'm curious what you are doing to enhance each time through.
Well, if you're still on your first time through, you may not realize this, but there are a number of important choices you need to make in the game. There are three different paths that are obvious, as well as some smaller permutations. So, many people play the game three times in order to experience each of the three major paths.Then there are the quests that you somehow miss the first time around. Sometimes it isn't obvious that completing a given quest will end the Act, and one says, "No, wait! I haven't gotten to Dead Hand of the Past yet," or whatever, so of course one needs to play again in order to experience the missed quests. I've played the game four times, and I'm still learning about things I haven't done from other people on this forum.So, while I appreciate the desire to draw the game out and savor it, I think you don't have to be quite as ruthless with yourself as you've been.Now, go kill some ghouls! :)

MikeDanger said:
That's just it Corylea. It's not all that you're good for. There is a very bright group that hangs out here, you in particular. My reply last night was on the bad vibe side and one I regret. No excuses. Your over 40 post was one for others to say what they please and we are all fortunate for such a realm.So, I would like to mention that one reason I visit this Witcher hang out is not just because the game is so well written, excellent game pace, interesting settings, or just the fun I have. But for me, there is something else I can't quite put my finger on. I'm taking my time with this game so as to draw out the time I have with it. I only have a few nights a week at this computer anyway to play it on, but even so I may have never paced myself so slowly rather than want to get to the finish to move on to the next game. Even visiting here is a means of involving myself with other Witcher ideas and related discussion rather than completing the game. I quess I'm just savoring something I enjoy and something my imagination can wrap around. But for now, I've got a ton of stuff to kill in this crypt so, thanks for having me.
Actually, I can very much identify with your perspective and goals in gaming. ;) I, too, prefer to spend my time trying to explore, gather, run errands, and find jobs, rather than to simply run through the game to see how it all ends. I can you can say I like to get my money's worth, and then some. :)With other games e.g. Morrowind and Oblivion, I knew I could possibly finish the main goal of the games rather quickly. But, what would be the point in doing that? Instead, I spent hours upon hours talking to people, running the side quests, leveling up my character and simply immersing myself into the fantasy world of these great RPGs. One of my personal goals is to completely explore the entire map that the developers have spent so much time creating. After playing Oblivion for nearly 700 hours, just the other night I still found another cave I hadn't discovered until then. It's hard to describe the reaction upon a discovery like this. ;)With The Witcher, I'm actually playing through a 3rd time very, very slowly. I'm still somewhat reluctant to continue my current quest as I really am eager to see the new EE coming out in September.Anyway, you and I seem to be kindred spirits when it comes to gaming. Cheers!

The first time I played The Witcher, I really, really wanted to know the answers to the questions that the story raised -- answers that I believed (erroneously!) would be found at the end of the game. Had Geralt been dead or just missing? If he'd been missing, where had he been, and if he'd been raised from the dead, who did it and why? What happened to his memory? Whole stole the witcher secrets, and what did they want with them?I rushed through the game in order to find out the answers to these questions, only to discover that most of them were left unanswered. (Aargh!) The second time I played the game, I wanted to ride all the rides and see all the sights, and I tried to explore everywhere and do every quest. Usually I'm a "ride all the rides" player the first time around, but I really wanted to uncover the mystery behind Geralt's origin, and such a departure from my usual style shows just how compelling I found the story of The Witcher.

@MikeDanger As many people have pointed out, this game has lots of replay value :)I had initially decided to do two runs as I thought there were only 2 paths. Then i found out there was a third option, so i had to play again :) ... and then I heard that no one could get passed level 42, so i had to check that out (completely untrue, ask M.R.) ... then i heard of some other bit of trivia, so i had to investigate ...getting the idea now ? then i started editing the wiki, so i needed information and screenshots, more runs ... and so on.I can honestly say that the game *still* does not bore meenjoy!

CNDLIONHEARTED said:
I wonder if Mike Danger is scared of dark places?
Funny you should say that. I think that one reason I like the game is because it reminds me of things that scared my as a child. I can remember being of an age where, during the Wizard of Oz, I had to leave the room when the flying monkeys came on. The game also reminds me of scary dreams as a child. I think it taps into a part of my imagination from my youth somehow. It is similar to some discussion here from a few days ago regarding growing up or not growing up and allowing your youth to pull you in that direction. I like being pulled there.

you know every time I reply TW I always find something new in the game I don't remember which time I found them doing the Lumber Jack song I almost fell out of my chair :D

MikeDanger said:
MikeDanger said:
I wonder if Mike Danger is scared of dark places?
Funny you should say that. I think that one reason I like the game is because it reminds me of things that scared my as a child.
The first time I played the crypt, I found it pretty scary. Geralt was striding along confidently whenever I let him move, and I was inching him along, not wanting to be surprised by a bunch of ghouls springing up out of the floor. Of course, I'm a seasoned Witcher player now, so now I look at ghouls and think "Ah, experience points AND Vitriol-Nigredo -- go get 'em, Geralt." :)
MikeDanger said:
I can remember being of an age where, during the Wizard of Oz, I had to leave the room when the flying monkeys came on. The game also reminds me of scary dreams as a child. I think it taps into a part of my imagination from my youth somehow. It is similar to some discussion here from a few days ago regarding growing up or not growing up and allowing your youth to pull you in that direction. I like being pulled there.
*nod* A good game engages us viscerally, not just intellectually. A lot of games use gore for that purpose, but fear is considerably more interesting, at least from my perspective.

Top Bottom