The Over-40 Hang-out

+
gamewidow said:
thanks seeker! always good to see you here as well! :wave:so ... is your life also consumed with downloading this patch ? ;D
LOL I would not say all that consumed with the patch More worry about my wife taking flying lessions LOL And trying to get thing done here on the fam befor the frist snows come LOL

... the first snow comes? Overhere we are happy if we get one snowflake in Winter especially on Xmas. [sings]I'm dreaming of a whiiiiiite christmas[/sings]
sig970 said:
How in the hell did I miss the over-40-crowd section until today. Hello everyone.42, and still a diehard gamer ;D
Don't worry these times are over when everybody thought, games are only for kids.Welcome :beer:

Thanks for the warm welcome, all of you. The over 40 club looks like the place to be, or is it the place with the most trouble-makers??? ;DShould be fun!

SimonBrooke said:
SimonBrooke said:
The over 40 club looks like the place to be, or is it the place with the most trouble-makers???
You need to ask?
All the over-40is jammed the EE DL on the first day cos they wanted to be the first, but a few (only a few) had some trouble here and there so the DL couldn't continue. But eventually it were only minor delays ;D

I just found this topic. I remember when the only game was pinball machines, then came air hockey and PONG. From there I moved on to Space Invaders. I then bought a Commodore 64 and then the gaming took off. I remember the shock when my nephew came over with his brand new Gameboy Color and a Zelda game ( Oracle of the Seasons). I was really hooked then. I moved up to a "REAL" PC and was a real noobie on that thing. I look back and shake my head as I am now a moderator on the PCWorld forums ( I'm retired with nothing better to do I guess). Anyway, I game on the PC and did on the PS2 until it broke. I just got a PS3, thing won't play PS2 stuff. So yeah, I am an Old Gamer, why should the kids have all the fun ? coastie65

Nice to see all you "oldtimers" here . As a constant gamer from --72 when we used to program on punchcards I am thrilled to see New blood from old sources hehe . I loved this game as an artistic acheivment and encourage small developers to follow suit . The world of fantasy should have something to offer to our lives . It should take us to a place and time . It should make us ,for a moment , beleive ..

huuuh... there are some experienced old school gamers. I started with game on SEGA console with Sonic the Hedgehog and was very good in it. The only thing that was unbearalbe was the sound and so called music :dead:

I started with hack (the one before nethack), and I still remember the first time my character teleported out of a shop without paying. I'd eaten a Leprechaun and was teleporting randomly, and I hadn't intended to steal anything, and I was quite shocked to have done so unintentionally. I went running off to get my husband, "Norman, Norman -- you'll never guess what happened!"God, running a game AND a word processor AND a bunch of other stuff on a computer whose hard drive was only 10 MB -- The Witcher is about a thousand times as big as my whole hard drive was then. :)There's nothing quite like your first game, when everything is new. The Witcher beats hack in every possible way, yet I still have a soft spot in my heart for it. And there are lines from hack that are still catchphrases in my house:You are blinded by a blast of light! (Usually said by my husband, first thing in the morning.)You only feel hungry now. (Usually said by my husband, whose appetite is legendary, for all that he's extremely skinny.)Perhaps not what you'd hoped for. (Said whenever either of us is disappointed.)And I could go on, but I'll not try your patience further. :)

punchcards :eek: Now that take me back to the day :DThere are a lot of old timers here I have to say I go back to the days or Pong LOL when it was still in the arcade and just and yes I use the old Magnabox console lol

I can't even begin to count how many hours my husband and i spent on nethack ... back in the day! ;D I kind of miss my +6 athame and my gauntlets of power

My first computer game was a "shareware" of sorts called "Adventure" or something like that. It ran off a big, real floppie on the computerized typesetter at work. It was all words. No pictures. You went down into a cave and had to plot it yourself on paper or otherwise remember where you were. I could never get past the troll on the bridge! From there to one of the original IBM PC's with dual floppies. And pictures! Heaven!Cheers,FAM

My first games were Pong and then the old set that would allow you to play asteroids. My first computer was an Apple IIc that allowed me to play a written word game. I have no idea what the name was. I was also a hard-core AD&D player. I spent the 1980's learnig and playing D&D. Just the other day, I dragged my kids away from their homework, layed out a map, and took them through their first D&D scenario. THey loved it. So did I!!!

ah yes, text adventures ... remember "the count" ? I sure do ... i guess that technically was my first computer game. as i recall, it ran on something connected to my 12 inch colour tv at the time ;) -- not that colour was really much of a plus with that game :)remarkable how words (the count) and random keyboard strokes (nethack) were able to conjure such images and atmosphere ... i wonder if kids who have grown up with 24/7 visual and auditory stimulation would feel about those games ? ;)

gamewidow said:
ah yes, text adventures ... remember "the count" ? I sure do ... i guess that technically was my first computer game. as i recall, it ran on something connected to my 12 inch colour tv at the time ;) -- not that colour was really much of a plus with that game

SimonBrooke said:
The first computer game I wrote was for the Sinclair Z80, which had 1k of RAM and couldn't drive it's screen display and run a program at the same time. So while the program was actually running the screen would go to hash, and only come back when the program paused...So of course I wrote a game about hyperspace jumps.
Wow. What a brilliant solution to the problem!I think you've just proved the old saw about necessity being the mother of invention.

I can't remember if I have posted in this thread or not and I don't feel like going through 28 pages to find out. Yes I have lost my patience in the last few years -- smile.The first game I can remember is Pong, I was born in February of 1936 -- hehe, work for it.I am also planning for my last long -- well I think it will be my last long motorcycle ride, but then, who knows. I don't have the strength to wrestle the large Road King anymore but I have found a light motorcycle that can do it all. Well -- with a few modifications that is. But I do take my Namendia and Aricept daily.Written by Dragon NaturallySpeaking

Top Bottom