The People of 2077

+
The People of 2077

Hmm. There was no way I could make this a poll. I tried.

So, we've talked quite a bit about NPC AI, world-interaction, random NPCs, convoluted histories, (see - I'm trying, Dragon, but this "pleasantly friendly" thing is REALLY HARD), however we haven't really talked much about the characters that make up this world. OOh, let me go back and bold that. There.

The NPC Person of Night City 2077.

Who lives in 2077? What kind of people are walking the Street beside you? Where are they going? What do they do for a living? Why are they in Night City? Here are some samples that might be seen strolling or jogging rapidly away from a possible crime scene:

SINGLE PARENT: Parenting in 2077 is as hard or harder than ever. Usually a woman, she is seen walking rapidly to her Ford-Mazda from her work at a small business or as a paralegal, probably in Upper Eastside. She has one hand to her ear as she talks to the daycare about picking up the kids and the other in her purse on her Budgetarms. Just in case.

TIRED NIGHTWORKER: Clinging to the grips as they crowd the aisles of the Night City Transit Corporation buses, these people are generally seen wearing plastiform coveralls and some kind of meshcap. They sweep buildings, maintain facilities and run late-night street machines and they don't care about much other than getting home and going to sleep.

ANGRY DOGOWNER: A lot of people own pets in 2077 and some of those pets aren't even short-life pre-sterilized clones! This fellow walks his PoodleWeiler, RexKing, in Little Italy every morning. Along 2nd, up Zelazny and back down 1st, glaring at the world the whole time. He's wearing a heavy coat and green canvas pants with boots, is balding and seems unarmed. Careful observation reveals the heavyset suits of Italian descent a half-block behind him however. They do not seem unarmed.

FLAGRANTLY CORRUPT COP: You've seen "Training Day" with Denzel? Yeah, that guy, only he's Serbian and openly carrying a damn assault shotgun. Usually seen rousting drug dealers outside The Ratskellar near NCU for whatever money they pulled out of the college kids. His ride is flash and his eyes are pounded metal, gleaming in the neon. Occasionally his head twitches involuntarily and you can hear servos if you are close enough.

JUNIOR NETRUNNER: No older than sixteen and usually a lot younger, this kid has more bravado than brains. Carrying the deck she managed to order online from the money she hacked out of her school principal's "hidden" kickbacks fund, this wunderkind is just sure she's the next Rache Bartmoss. Only cool and not old and dead. She's moving purposefully but you're not near Style enough to know why or where.

CYNICAL MEDTECH: They've seen it. They've seen it done. They've fixed it or watched it die, pretty much anywhere in the world you can imagine. This professional is dressed in subdued tones, stepping off the Rapid Transit on their way to dinner at Manfred's. They're also sporting lightweight Skinweave, serious neural work, cyberaudio and a cyberarm with built-in GangJazzler for really bad surprises. On the other hand, if you suddenly start to seizure, they can probably save your life. For money.

HARBOUR POLICE: These two women are dressed in a mishmash of dark blue and grey MetalGear and Kevlar, with no uniform pattern other than their badges, prominently displayed on their upper chests. Both are talking easily and neither misses anything around them. Ever. The taller of the two has a skullplate and a series of flickering images run along the lower rim. Her partner's legs are Corvette cyberlegs, their gleaming chrome and obsidian gearing carrying her smoothly towards the waiting patrol boat in New Harbour.

Who do you see walking the streets in 2077?

Hmm. There was no way I could make this a poll. I tried.

Thank you for that. I will however, respond to votes for moving this to Off-Topic.

And regarding your suggestions, most of them seem reasonable except for...

ANGRY DOGOWNER: A lot of people own pets in 2077 and some of those pets aren't even short-life pre-sterilized clones! This fellow walks his PoodleWeiler, RexKing, in Little Italy every morning. Along 2nd, up Zelazny and back down 1st, glaring at the world the whole time. He's wearing a heavy coat and green canvas pants with boots, is balding and seems unarmed.

I see it more as a female role. A little old lady. And the dog is more likely to be a shihtzweiller named after her favourite video game character from way back when. White Wolf, or something like that.

And as you walk past, thinking her just as some harmless old biddy, she turns and reveals the flamethrower embedded in her forearm....

On a slightly more serious note though, it would be good to see a little more variation in the random NPCs. Most games do seem to churn out the same old characters over and over again.

Hmmm....Interesting question.

Actually I really like how you've made some nice backstories to the different people we'll be living in the world with.

The way the mother acts should for example be a blend of human emotion and character motivation. So she wants to survive, but she wants to survive in order to get back to her kids. This can help drive development of the AI in terms of realistic responses to you for example shooting into a crowd. On her own the mother might cower and freeze, or run away, but if she has her kid (random roll when generating the NPCC?) with her she might be driven to an act of heroism body shielding her kid or even retaliation - telling her kid to run while she incredibly scared pulls out her budget arms gun and attempts to shoot you.

It would be really amazing to have an ai that generates NPC responses based on embedded narrative qualities developed for the NPC types with some random variation thrown in there to keep things feeling "real". And then builds on individual NPC reactions in cohesion with Other NPC reactions in the area.

For example in the chaos of you shooting into the crowd each NPC responds invidiually, then as police arrive, they respond to the changing situation in new ways. I have no idea how feasible that is but it would great to see a growing continuously developing situation that goes further than just one type of response. Like in GTA civvies freak out and cops just shoot. Theres' very little interactive responses between the NPCs. Game world NPC characters tend to react directly only to the players actions not each others.

I want to see Festus Gusterson.... He was once a English teacher, but after hearing a student say "I seen" 4 times in less than 2 minutes, he snapped and beat the student about the face and neck with a textbook.... now he is homeless, in tattered disgusting rags and matted filthy hair. He hollers obscenities at people, but can be a good source of information of the streets. Just be careful... if you use use improper english around him then he will beat you with a sock.... the sock is filled with broken glass and something softer, but heavy.... and it smells of rot and decomposition....

Hmmm.... maybe that was a little too specific....

Couriers... often traveling on foot running all parkour style, or on bicycles, you will see them flitting about everywhere. They sneer at people in cars who are stuck in traffic as they ride by, or yell eco-based slurs at you as you drive by them. What's in those packages you wonder? Are you man enough to take it away from them? How tough can they be in those fruity little shorts anyway? Sometimes you see a full conversion courier with skate feet.... you know whatever they are carrying must be good stuff..... if you could catch them...

Creepy pickup artist... they will follow attractive women, wearing gaudy ridiculous clothing assaulting the women with a flurry of cheesy one-liners. Occasionally the women will tire of the them, and ask for their number as they reach into their purse, only to pull out pepper spray or a taser.

A middle aged frumpy salaryman, walking down the street, talking about how he's finally gonna do it, he's finally going to get that Mr. Studd Implant. And then all the women will want him.

Luddites preaching from the corner about the evils of Cybernetics... they dress like mormon missionaries, white button shirts, black slacks and ties... Alone or in pairs they are usually harmless... but occasionally you will see one run up and toss an emp grenade into a crowd. If someone with obivous cyber encounters a group of them, they will be harassed.... At night their outfits change into robes, revealing themselves as members of The Inquisitors.... if there is no one else on the street the harassment will turn into assault and possibly murder. They use tasers and baseball bats, but one member of the group will also carry a very heavy anti-cyborg handgun.

Dorphers hanging out in alleys, waiting to jump someone to score the cheese needed for their next fix... occasionally you will see them stalking someone. If you are visibly armed, or if there are people about they will ignore you, but mutter things in a drugged out haze.... "Spiders, spiders man, I got spiders... IN MY EYES!"

An otaku girl talking on the phone to someone, presumably a parent, begging for money to by the latest Mekton Zeta Roadstryker Toy...

Graffitti artists who will run up and tag your car while you are parked.... fucking hoodlums... you also occasionally see them sneaking up on people, especially cops, and tagging them from behind before running off....

Nihilists, pale, crappy hair, all in black, walking down the street talking about how yeah, they know the last date was wrong, but if you listen to the hidden message in the lyrics of Dark Black Midnights latest album, they clearly say the world is going to end next week, and people will stop laughing at us then....

For example in the chaos of you shooting into the crowd each NPC responds invidiually, then as police arrive, they respond to the changing situation in new ways. I have no idea how feasible that is but it would great to see a growing continuously developing situation that goes further than just one type of response. Like in GTA civvies freak out and cops just shoot. Theres' very little interactive responses between the NPCs. Game world NPC characters tend to react directly only to the players actions not each others.

SR2 did it pretty welll.... Most civvies run, but some will fight you, some will shoot you, some will even come to each others aid... and some will just stand around and take pictures....

They also react this way to each other... I sat on a corner and watch as one car bumped into another, the drivers got out and got in a fight, a civilian ran up and joined the fight, only to start punching both of them, while two women stood around and took pictures... Than a dude ran up and stole one of their cars, hit a gang member as he was drving away, the gang member shot at him, then the cop who was walking across the street got involved.... things got.... crazy after that...

Man... SR2 npc's were fucking awesome...

That kind of NPC interactions sounds awesome!

But while it sounds cool to have every NPC be a special little snowflake, I think they'd also need faceless masses to set off their individuality. Make the "characters" more alive.
I wouldn't mind seeing the occasional cluster of salarymen, all in corporate uniform, corporate logo in holo-tattoo on their forehead or back of the hand.
Groups of teens from the same sub-culture: Shinjuku's, Gothicks, Neo-Grungers, Retro's, Jack Draculas and what have you, clustering together for fun and/or mutual protection...

Ooh, street vendors, I want street vendors!

Most sandbox games I've seen have been pretty good about random crowd / street traffic generation.

I particularly like when specific locations / geographic areas spawn specfic background characters. Seeing a group of salarymen on the maglev platform or waiting to catch a cab in Corporate Plaza: not unusual.

Seeing a group of salaryment in the Combat Zone? TOTALLY out of the ordinary. And probably a mugging waiting to happen.

Unless they're a heavily cybered-up covert strike team out on a hit (or just looking for an excuse to "field test" their recent upgrades)... :)

A major part of cyberpunk (for me at least) is that "shadow world" of covert ops, corporate warfare. I'd like to see the occasional glimpse of that world in CP2077.
Needing to worry about things like that lone salaryman swaggering in the middle of the street of the Combat Zone at night. Is he simply suicidal, drunk or drugged out of his skull? Or is he a corporate ninja? One that could take out your entire booster gang without even spilling his Nestlé-Starbucks Krill Latte?

I'd love to have that degree of depth in a game...

I would like to have random events, such as terrorist explosions, massive shootouts between gangs and cops, or gangs and other gangs.... I would like to see occasional corporate black op teams landing on a building or site and raiding... I would like to raid a buildings, only too see a random infiltrator sneaking down the hallway on his own agenda... Cops following suspicious people, people getting mugged or car jacked, banks and stores being robbed, all sorts of shit.... not scripted either, just random events happening.... there are a million stories in the naked city, most of them have nothing to do with you.

I got a good one. How about the overworked factory worker. He Dresses in dirty, bedraggled clothes, his hair (or what's left of it), is a sweat drenched, dirty, matted mess pressed close to his scalp from wearing a hard hat all day. He looks to be in his 50's, but don't let his appearance fool you: He's a hardcore, badass Special Forces vet who'll kick your ass faster than a 'zoner does zoom dust. Or another possible alternative could have the guy be totally fed up with his job, his boss and the world in general. In this scenario, he's still a vet but was an explosives or asymmetrical warfare expert with a wild ass bag of tricks up his sleeve. Homemade explosives, chem /bio agents...Use your imagination, just think "Maximum collateral damage, Minimal effort."

Last edited:
Top Bottom