The Players Responsibility?

+
The Players Responsibility?

We see a lot of discussion about what we want from a developer or publisher but what is our responsibility as consumers?

Should we care about whether a game studio is taking a risk, or anything but the quality and value for money of their finished product?

Should we accept shady business practises and thereby tacitly support them with our purchase?

Should we accept the excuses of developers that their next game will be better, so buy that and forget about the one that you currently have paid for and found lacking, because they'll try and do better?

Should we pay more than the traditional £35-40 because games have become more expensive, or should we ask first that they at least match the content of the games that we were buying twenty years ago, with big boxes full of stuff, cloth maps, feelies, big manuals and storybooks in the standard edition as well as games that were much larger and more complex.

Should we forget utterly about Caveat Emptor and blindly, faithfully support a developer without any reciprocation?

If we see a product that costs less and gives more for a fraction of the budget, is it not in our own interest to support this rather than the more expensive one that gives less?

Should we support games that have a clear mandate to strip features and content, to the point where a supposed roleplaying game no longer allows you to choose your stats or what weapons you even weild?

Should we support streamlining in any manner when it seems obvious that games should be improved and built upon rather than stripped down to support the core content, because too far in that direction and we simply get a CONGRATULATIONS YOU WIN! screen with no gameplay whatsoever?

Should we support cinematic games, when the strength of games is interactivity not to be shown, told or explained to but doing rather than watching?

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Last edited:
This little world of our favourite hobby is an odd bird, distinctly unlike other entertainments in more ways than I care to mention and sure they'd be no news to anyone here anyway... gamers treat devs with behaviour they don't show the movies or music business, and devs kowtow to mainstream thereby belittling and ultimately sacrificing a - struggling to assert itself anyway - artform for the sake of the bean counters (otherwise known as the Soulless Minions of Orthodoxy). Not to mention that unhealthy relationship with the marketing industry and its tendency to be fast and loose with the truth.

But no matter the obvious sense in acting like proper consumers of any other industry by refusing to buy into pre-orders & season passes, accept broken products and dubious promises from a few individuals considered gaming icons, all these things that have and will continue to inexorably drag us further down the road to banality, will continue to win, because the majority of gamers are way too easily influenced & hyped.

Aye, at the risk of alienating the majority... I'm starting to lean towards blaming the constantly shifting younger demographic (not the individual people, but the crowd, the fact that gaming may simply not be able to "mature" precisely because of constant influx from the young, and the early retirement of the old). Theres a lack of perspective, less experience of the ground we've travelled over already, repeatedly, and they are an easier market to cater for because of this so appeal to the bean counters. And to be honest it seems to me a lot of kids these days are highly orthodox themselves, seemingly insisting on the same old same old.

Of course this is the internet, and just like we don't notice constant gradual change in ourselves, we don't quite register the gradual change in society around us either, but I could swear we're becoming less social, and much more egotistical. Though any ruckuss online isn't a truly valid snapshot of the wider opinion anyway, as its more likely to involve some types than others.

Och, tbh I can feel myself heading towards the exit, wish I hadn't typed all this now but I'm sad to see the lack of progress too... I do miss the golden age of gaming, but I hardly grump about it anymore, not much point, its big business now, wave goodbye.

Personally I wouldn't blame the younger demographic, because i'd blame no majority for the actions of others, but i'd ask whether they feel less inclined to exercise their rights as consumers? It seems to me that it's no longer fashionable to court the consumer and champion their rights, indeed it seems "cool" to mock them. I wonder if this apathy(?) to protecting their own rights and ensuring better service is a response to a larger pool of disposable income, or whether it is the demonisation and prejudice that is aimed at game players by the media?

Personally I wouldn't blame the younger demographic, because i'd blame no majority for the actions of others, but i'd ask whether they feel less inclined to exercise their rights as consumers?

I doubt they feel less inclined, but what was happening less until now is being aware of these problems. Various disruptive events bring attention to them and people quickly start caring about it.

It seems to me that it's no longer fashionable to court the consumer and champion their rights, indeed it seems "cool" to mock them

I don't think anyone mocks them except those who do all they can to tramp those rights (DRM proponents, lock-in proponents, privacy abusers and so forth). And it also depends on the demographics and who you talk to I guess. It can vary from indifference to active opposition to violating them, but I never saw any person in their right mind who was mocking such rights (excepts those very proponents above who are expected to be crooked to do it).

Last edited:
Its the mediocritification (yeahyeah) of society in general, you know this has been a losing battle for ever, lets remind ourselves of the insightful comment of the father of modern economics, back in the day:

Adam Smith in the Wealth of Nations said:
Consumption is the sole end and purpose of all production; and the interest of the produced ought to be attended to, only so far as it may be necessary for promoting that of the consumer. The maxim is so perfectly self-evident, that it would be absurd to attempt to prove it. But…the interest of the consumer is almost constantly sacrificed to that of the producer; and it seems to consider production, and not consumption, as the ultimate end and object of all industry and commerce.

Same battle, different battleground, stronger adversaries, weaker heroes. Taught what to think not how to think as my aul' schoolmaster Father would say...

To bring some interesting visualization to the above, I saw a very expressive chart:

http://dataconomy.com/congress-is-a-game-and-we-have-the-data-to-show-whos-winning/

Note how influence of chambers of commerce (i.e. groups that represent huge legacy corps) is way way stronger than any consumers' groups influence.

But it's not only because people don't care. Even if they do, corruption skews the field to those who can pay more.

I doubt they feel less inclined, but what was happening less until now is being aware of these problems. Various disruptive events bring attention to them and people quickly start caring about it.

I don't think anyone mocks them except those who do all they can to tramp those rights (DRM proponents, lock-in proponents, privacy abusers and so forth). And it also depends on the demographics and who you talk to I guess. It can vary from indifference to active opposition to violating them, but I never saw any person in their right mind who was mocking such rights (excepts those very proponents above who are expected to be crooked to do it).

I'm not sure, many anti consumer policies are actually championed by consumers, and those whom complain about it are labelled whiners or trolls. Look at Diablo 3, the game simply didn't work at launch, which should be the least you can expect, made you be online for the single player game which is idiotic and made the game unplayable for many weeks because of lag, only became enjoyable and challenging at higher levels that had to be unlocked by repeated playthroughs of the same linear content etcetera.

Yet the people who brought this up and complained about it were castigated, the gaming press either ignored it or raised a little fuss and the game went on to sell ten million plus. That's just one of many examples.

Yet the people who brought this up and complained about it were castigated, the gaming press either ignored it or raised a little fuss and the game went on to sell ten million plus. That's just one of many examples.

I didn't really follow that event with Blizzard, but I remember when EA introduced some kind of crazy DRM in their new Sim City, many also voiced opposition and the press was quite positive in supporting their criticism of EA and DRM stupidity. But again, I didn't really read all the press on that, just some articles here and there. Something similar happened when M$ announced some sickening insane DRM in Xbox One (like spying on users through Kinect and so on) - many strongly complained. The press was also on consumers' side if I remember correctly. At least some of it.

From my perspective of course such complaints are somewhat hypocritical anyway - if people really cared, they had to ditch EA, M$ and the rest of the crazy DRM obsessed companies instead of complaining while continuing giving them their money. But that's different from what you said above about castigating those people.

Last edited:
Thats a pretty stark graphic. The elephant in the room, what no one really wants to admit is, the vast majority of us are powerless, all confidence sapped by, among other things like the day to day struggle, the general acceptance that life is the result of random events interacting chaotically. Of course thats a scientific truism, but humanity has always striven to make order from that chaos, and some people still do, because they have the resources and believe they have the right, just like the god bestowed tyrants of previous ages. Shit, if I was obsessed with money, didn't know anything or care a jot about humanities continued progress towards something better for everyone, and was a little more of a nearsighted, ignorant, arrogant arsehole I'd be manipulating the masses too.

I'd be great in marketing once they perfect the conscience lobotomy.

Lot of hard questions here that I feel really don't have a right or wrong answer in some cases

We see a lot of discussion about what we want from a developer or publisher but what is our responsibility as consumers?

Should we care about whether a game studio is taking a risk, or anything but the quality and value for money of their finished product?
Should it be noted? Sure. After all, the amount of great IPs coming out is feeling more and more restricted as time goes by and therefore we should encourage new things. Should we care? Yes and no, risk can breed innovation, but it also can result in junk. Just like artists out there, there is good art and not so good art. Not every game can aspire to greatness because it comes down to the talent of the developers and other folks working on it. On the other hand, they set out to make something and they shouldn't have a free pass for everything just because.

Should we accept shady business practises and thereby tacitly support them with our purchase?
Many of the practices are optional to support, such as DLC. I'll admit, I miss the days of unlocking secret content and it's rare to find in games these days. On the other hand, if it is quality DLC, why not? After all, DLC is the evolution of what used to be expansion packs that have been around for a long time now.

Should we accept the excuses of developers that their next game will be better, so buy that and forget about the one that you currently have paid for and found lacking, because they'll try and do better?
It's not always an excuse, sometimes a studio needs to stub their toes a bit or get as far as they can and then grow from there. Just because a game isn't as good as it could be with years more of development time, doesn't mean it makes sense to do that, though I would say that at least having a degree of quality should still be the goal. The first Uncharted was a game that was really good, but when UC2 came out, you saw just how piss poor some of the things in it was (grenade system, motion control bits).

Should we pay more than the traditional £35-40 because games have become more expensive, or should we ask first that they at least match the content of the games that we were buying twenty years ago, with big boxes full of stuff, cloth maps, feelies, big manuals and storybooks in the standard edition as well as games that were much larger and more complex.
Ooooh, how I miss Working Designs. They had the most amazing packaging for their games. Definitely a good question here and one that . However, I can see the general population getting up in arms because any kind of price hike is generally not seen well. However, if there was one, I'd say it'd be fair to ask for that back.

Should we forget utterly about Caveat Emptor and blindly, faithfully support a developer without any reciprocation?
Track record is a big part here. I don't see an issue with having trust in a company if they've done well and you enjoy their work if you want to, but just like relationships with people, getting burned/hurt by someone tends to have repercussions. I think it's safe to say that developers should never take their fan base for granted though. It is not an easy balance though to cater to an audience, make what you love, and run a business though.

If we see a product that costs less and gives more for a fraction of the budget, is it not in our own interest to support this rather than the more expensive one that gives less?
I'd say yes, though this is extremely subjective on many levels. The quality of what is offered is a big factor to consider. I personally prefer quality over quantity the majority of the time, though I have exceptions.

Should we support games that have a clear mandate to strip features and content, to the point where a supposed roleplaying game no longer allows you to choose your stats or what weapons you even weild?
Again, it seems to come down to what you want. There may be great ideas that get cut because the overhead to implement them, test them, and get them working, especially in games that have these huge worlds and scopes. Does that such for the hardcore, traditional, or niche people? Yeah, no doubt, but then it probably means the game just isn't for them.

Should we support streamlining in any manner when it seems obvious that games should be improved and built upon rather than stripped down to support the core content, because too far in that direction and we simply get a CONGRATULATIONS YOU WIN! screen with no gameplay whatsoever?
The difficulty of big budget games, as it does with other media, certainly lies in being able to reach a bigger audience. That obviously is stuff that is decided on the high end of the food chain. But game have grown and grown and therefore have a big focus on appealing to the mainstream market. Nature of the beast sadly.

Should we support cinematic games, when the strength of games is interactivity not be shown, told or explained to but doing rather than watching?
Sure, why not? They have their place as much as any other kind of game/genre. People don't have to like them, but people don't have to like sports or racing games either if that's their preference. However, I think it's fair to say that people should be made aware of that before getting into it.

Thoughts complete!

Last edited:
Difficult to argue with any of the considered points @shinobi2u; makes, and in general such informed moderation is rare these days and welcome, I'd only say that its The Will that gets anything done, whether in our personal lives or in the decisions of companies & nations. You have to want to make a difference, to change things, to actually make it happen, and change is good. But not in the view of established power structures, change is frightening and unpredictable (theres that loss of the illusion of control again).

Ouch, Blo! I'd to participate in this thread, but I consider it to complex and deep for my morsed English sentences :(. Just gonna read all you and Red some of you too..

See the way we all come running when you kick off a real topic of discussion Blo? Don't you dare demob on us now !

Feel the Love !

(don't worry, on my part its a temporary affliction) ;)

I only wish to raise one point in response to Shinobi2u here, as I understand all of the other reasons, in response to: Should we accept the excuses of developers that their next game will be better, so buy that and forget about the one that you currently have paid for and found lacking, because they'll try and do better?

It's not always an excuse, sometimes a studio needs to stub their toes a bit or get as far as they can and then grow from there. Just because a game isn't as good as it could be with years more of development time, doesn't mean it makes sense to do that, though I would say that at least having a degree of quality should still be the goal. The first Uncharted was a game that was really good, but when UC2 came out, you saw just how piss poor some of the things in it was (grenade system, motion control bits).

I would take issue with this point, if a developer wishes to do right by a customer when they have sold a substandard product then there is a way to do it, go back to that game and make an enhanced edition, as CDPR have twice done, even when the base game was not substandard. If we just accept this excuse that the next game will be better then why ever make a better game, they have your money every time on the strength of a promise that makes a mockery of caveat emptor, they can do this every few years.

I'd also like to challenge the notion that games have grown, from all that I have seen they clearly have not, they have degenerated and more and more excuses are issued by consumers for this rather than demands being made. So long as we accept this notion that games have grown, innovated and become more complex when in reality they have shrunk, stagnated and simplified to the point where their accessibility is positively insulting, then the more of that kind of product we will have made for us.

Some modern games have moron marks showing you where to go and handholding at every point, QTE's instead of any difficulty because pressing a button when prompted is all that the developers expect there audience can do, and narratives that are so illogical and broken that a child could poke through their storyweaving. They are literally Skinner boxes, except we get no treat.

I say we should be asking for more not making excuses and accepting that our money has been wasted on this occasion, if a developer treats me right i'll reciprocate.

Last edited:
I only wish to raise one point in response to Shinobi2u here, as I understand all of the other reasons, in response to: Should we accept the excuses of developers that their next game will be better, so buy that and forget about the one that you currently have paid for and found lacking, because they'll try and do better?

I would take issue with this point, if a developer wishes to do right by a customer when they have sold a substandard product then there is a way to do it, go back to that game and make an enhanced edition, as CDPR have twice done, even when the base game was not substandard. If we just accept this excuse that the next game will be better then why ever make a better game, they have your money every time on the strength of a promise that makes a mockery of caveat emptor, they can do this every few years.

I'd also like to challenge the notion that games have grown, from all that I have seen they clearly have not, they have degenerated and more and more excuses are issued by consumers for this rather than demands being made. So long as we accept this notion that games have grown, innovated and become more complex when in reality they have shrunk, stagnated and simplified to the point where their accessibility is positively insulting, then the more of that kind of product we will have made for us.

Some modern games have moron marks showing you where to go and handholding at every point, QTE's instead of any difficulty because pressing a button when prompted is all that the developers expect there audience can do, and narratives that are so illogical and broken that a child could poke through their storyweaving. They are literally Skinner boxes, except we get no treat.

I say we should be asking for more not making excuses and accepting that our money has been wasted on this occasion, if a developer treats me right i'll reciprocate.

Absolutely agree with those points you made there, Bloth. This is certainly one of those grey areas, especially depending on how you look at it and which aspect you're talking about. CDPR is definitely one of those companies that does things differently from others and it'd be great if others did it. I think CDPR has a flexibility that many places don't, mainly because of publishing relations. The more cooks in the kitchen (ranging from producers to marketing to investors), the more difficult it is to do anything.

It's like the difference between a elite squad versus an entire army. The squad can change directions on a dime whereas an army takes time to change directions, but once they are going, they can plow through.

And as to QTEs, there are certain cases where I think they make sense for developers:
- They were made to mimic behaviors and movements the character is doing ala Heavy Rain.
- They want it to be more cinematic, but the amount of work that it would take to make all the different, special animations involved interactive to the user is too much. But on the other hand, they don't want the player just sitting there, so they try to involve them and give them a sense of 'control'. Now, when the game uses them too much, I can see where people get aggravated as they start feeling less and less like they are in control
- Certain minigames.

It's also certain attitude. CDPR invest in their projects long term and expect them to be interesting to players for a long time. Like any good book author does. In contrast, many studios (especially dominated by legacy publishers) are pursing a throwaway approach, i.e. they are forced to produce something regularly in some period (a year or two for instance) and they stop caring about their previous work as soon as new one comes out. I.e. compare it to pulp fiction authors who don't care about long term interest (because there is none). That's why they produce simplified trash which is marketed as some new AAA release.

Such kind of short term attitude is a common trend of certain greedy investors which plagues tons of different industries. It results in mediocrity sold for overrated prices. For example such problem is apparent in ISPs situation in US. Why do you think we don't see fiber optical lines everywhere? Because it's long term investment. And investors want short term gains no matter what tomorrow brings, and that's for example investing in trendy wireless networks today. That's why we get such mediocre quality landline Internet while in some other countries gigabit and better are already a norm for quite a while.

Last edited:
It's also certain attitude. CDPR invest in their project long term and expect them to be interesting to players for a long time. Like any good book author does. In contrast, many studios (especially dominated by legacy publishers) are pursing a throwaway approach, i.e. they are forced to produce something regularly in some period (a year or two for instance) and they stop caring about their previous work as soon as new one comes out. I.e. compare it to pulp fiction authors who don't care about long term interest (because there is none). That's why they produce simplified trash which is marketed as some new AAA release.

Yeah to the point where they start deriding their old games and fanbase in favour of seeking a new demographic, really stupid behaviour trying to alienate your old fans, and another symptom of how low the opinions and value of consumers is generally held.

Should we support cinematic games, when the strength of games is interactivity not be shown, told or explained to but doing rather than watching?

Look this isn't some complicated equation, and the gaming industry isn't young anymore. We as consumers have been around the block numerous times, and some game makers are aging well into their golden years now.

If you make a bad game, or use a pricing structure that interferes with gameplay than you're doing it wrong. If your budget demands unrealistic sales you're doing it wrong. If you're game is nothing more than a glorified tech demo (like the order 1886), and you respond poorly to criticism than you are doing it wrong. We as consumers can do no wrong as we aren't a singular entity. We are simply people who may, or may not be interested in their product. They have to appeal to us as we are incapable of pandering to them as "we" figuratively speaking don't exist.

It's also certain attitude. CDPR invest in their projects long term and expect them to be interesting to players for a long time. Like any good book author does. In contrast, many studios (especially dominated by legacy publishers) are pursing a throwaway approach, i.e. they are forced to produce something regularly in some period (a year or two for instance) and they stop caring about their previous work as soon as new one comes out. I.e. compare it to pulp fiction authors who don't care about long term interest (because there is none). That's why they produce simplified trash which is marketed as some new AAA release.
Yeah to the point where they start deriding their old games and fanbase in favour of seeking a new demographic, really stupid behaviour trying to alienate your old fans, and another symptom of how low the opinions and value of consumers is generally held.
Not saying that CDPR is headed down this road (yet) but it usually starts with the little things like simplifying this mechanic here or introducing that hand holding feature there, and assuming that everybody has just waited for this to be brought into the game.

I'm very glad actually, that The Witcher 3 is the last installment of the franchise for now. I don't even want to imagine with what 'improvements' a fourth Witcher would be riddled and defiled with, if it were the next project to go into development over at CDPR HQ.
Even without knowing anything major about Cyberpunk 2077 I can't help but already feel a bit concerned about how it's going to turn out, especially in face of some very troubling trends in mutiplatform game design and development in recent years.

---------- Updated at 12:37 AM ----------

And yes, The Order: 1886 is a very good current example for a great many things that are wrong with AAA titles these days, as far as I'm concerned.

I'll be brief. Bloth presents a list of issues with the modern gaming industry and we already know where they come from. The industry IS rotten and becoming a serious force like the others in Gilrond's chart.

Unlike fuels and power and food and education, games are not essential. And there are several alternatives using fair methods of development and distribution, charging fair prices and delivering truly excellent content.

Why is it a large, controlling and mediocre game industry still survives? Because we feed it! Gamers are often like children and easily brainwashed.

- grumble grumble, this game has these and these problems.

New version with exactly the same crap comes out:

-ooh shiny!

And then there's of course the completely oblivious gamer who believes a game is great because, although empty and streamlined, it lets you IMAGINE (for 60 bucks).

The customers aren't nonexistent. We actually are in control and do not realize it. Critical failures weigh heavily on corps, but gamers are either so naive or weak or both they just give in and buy the current technological turd. Companies know this and take advantage. Why bother? Shit sells.

WE are also responsible. Just like DRM wouldn't be so prevalent if we had taken a stand years ago. But no, gotta have the newest, coolest "game" no matter what.

Should we support cinematic games, when the strength of games is interactivity not to be shown, told or explained to but doing rather than watching?

Preamble: I realize you and I have disagreed vehemently in the past and, alas, this is not going to be that much hoped for high five moment. There’s no consensus on the horizon, I’m afraid, but I hope you’ll acknowledge my candour just as much as I do yours. Thanks Bloth for stirring up such an interesting discussion. Look forward to reading your rebuttal.

Here it goes.

There’s a moralistic, recriminatory undertone to your use of the verb Should that I take issue with. To the extent they are not breaking the Law or infringing upon basic ethical tenets, people should do whatever the fuck they want. Period. That is especially true when it comes to how they choose to spend their hard earned cash. Top down attempts to regulate lives beyond that strict sphere have left a catastrophic trail behind. I understand you’re calling for the opposite, for gamers out of their will to stop seeking after the games they have traditionally sought after. Yet you provide no logical foundation, no rationale for such drastic move. Forgive me, but from where I stand all I read is thinly veiled condescendence that systematically disregards or diminishes the very real reasons why gamers en masse have behaved the way they have. Namely, that these blockbuster franchises fulfill their gaming needs on their own terms.

It also seems to me your questions are all rhetorical. They are variations on the theme Should we support Satan?! directed from the pulpit at a Southern Baptist congregation. Every single one of them is framed in a very specific, very deliberate way so that the answer is implied and seemingly self-evident. But, of course, it is not.

I’ll take on three of them.

Should we support shady practices?

Day 1 DLC, microtransations, DRM, glitch-ridden premature games, etc., all could be argued to be examples of shady practices. Here’s the silver lining though: a game is a business proposition that the gamer accepts voluntarily. Each individual makes an a priori rational assessment, a cost benefit analysis to determine whether or not the title is worth the kind of money being asked. Some gamers are indeed prepared to pay extra to unlock content. I suppose this irks many. Nonetheless, there is nothing morally reproachable about the practice per se provided, and it’s a big caveat, provided everything is crystal clear upfront. For example and to the point, it’s downright dishonest to release a title which cannot be finished unless you pay additional money later on and omit that fact from the buyer. It’s also highly questionable to promote microtansactions that award decisive advantages in multiplayer games.

What exactly does it mean to not support shady practices? If a gamer believes he’s about to fall victim of what he deems shady practises, he 'll likely not go ahead with the purchase. He will however realize the game is unplayable at launch all too late. So the question only makes sense in the context of the potential purchase of a future title from the same developer. What’s the appropriate course of action for the conscious consumer then? It depends. Depends on the track record of the developer. Depends on the magnitude of the offense. Depends on whether or not the publisher issued a tangible apology in the form of a refund, discount coupon or sizeable free content. Yes, it does depend.

Are you prepared to claim the cost structure of AAA titles such as TW3 has not changed over the years, that it has remained intact for the past two decades, so much that it is reasonable to demand both more physical content and more in-game content than what’s allegedly the norm now and for the exact same money? Did you take a look at TW3 budget? Did you notice the ratio between development costs and marketing costs? Can you name a company employing 300 full-time devs to ship a single title around the mid 90’s?

Let’s contrast two landmark titles: Might and Magic VII (1999), whose retail version I bought at the time, and Skyrim (2011), purchased full price on release and on Amazon. For all its copious and often crass shortcomings, the latter is several orders of magnitude bigger, both hours and map size wise. Gameplay, flawed as it is, is at the very least comparable. Furthermore, I got a faux cloth map with my regular copy of TES V, whereas nothing of the sort was to be found inside Mighty and Magic VII’s box.

There is simply no way you’d be able to ship a successful AAA game – the one and only kind that allows for successors - with production values from the 90’s. Nowadays these include, but are not limited to, professional voice acting and cutting edge 3D graphics, both of which are quite costly and impact the final price tag in an unprecedented manner.

CDProjekt will not be including big manuals or big storybooks in the standard TW3 edition and that is very telling. Personally, I have no interest in physical manuals as I find their electronic and in-game counterparts more convenient. And while I welcome artbooks and storybooks, my standards require a hardcover, decent paper, quality printing and sturdy binding. I understand these are a luxury and that luxuries come at a price.

Yes, definitely. Those of us – and I am not one of them - keen on cinematic games should definitely support them. Otherwise companies that develop in the genre will eventually go out of business and our appetite for it will remain unsated. Note the disparity: buying the cinematic game you feel like buying has no impact whatsoever on the survival of all the other genres, whereas abstaining from buying the cinematic game you're inclined to buy amounts to casting a vote to reduce genre plurality.

Companies who develop such games have a legitimate artistic reason. These hybrid tittles fall somewhere in the middle of the interactivity spectrum. Not really a movie, not a traditional game either. Developers get to exercise much greater control over the end experience; they get to tailor it in its minute details, to a degree that is not possible in conventional games. And some creators do crave that kind of artistic sovereignty. Who here really believes developers of Heavy Rain or The Order 1886 have not poured their heart and soul onto these titles, that they do not reflect an indomitable creative vision and are just mere stunts? And some gamers do appreciate the tightly choreographed but still interactive experience these games provide. They enjoy the pristinely framed shots, the fine-tuned pacing and the uniqueness of each encounter, each scene, each adversary. That's what is called a meeting of supply and demand.

On what grounds exactly would you strike cinematic games out of the list of legitimate genres?

Last edited:
Top Bottom