The popularity of the Witcher 3 ruined the franchise's magic for me

+
After over 4 years of planning to share my thoughts about this, I've finally decided to sit down and get it off my chest. Maybe it’s taken me this long because I've been scared of how people will react to an opinion of this sort. Or maybe I've been procrastinating because it feels like a huge, impossible task to explain what I mean. Writing this all down and reading it now makes it all feel really silly and embarrassing, but it's something I must do, so here goes.

I'm sitting in a train passing by foggy mountains, about to start a new life in a new place, listening to The Witcher soundtrack after many years as I write this (well ok, that's where I wrote the majority of this) It seemed like the perfect moment to finally get to it. Hopefully, posting this will allow me to get over my issues and rediscover the magic and my love for the Witcher franchise. (Note: Due to the 10k word limit, I'll post the rest of this as a comment.)

I played The Witcher 1 in 2007, and it immediately became my favorite game ever. The story, atmosphere, the greyness of morality and the general weird, dark tone grabbed me and took me to another world. It was otherworldly, dream like and beautiful. I loved the strange environments, the dark, grimy cities, even the unique costumes and the strange, ethereal locations such as St. Lebioda’s Hospital and the village named Murky Waters. This tone was never recreated in the subsequent games imo. I loved the feeling of sitting in the tavern in Murky Waters at night, the warmth and coziness of the inside surrounded by the weirdness of the things that lurk in the darkness outside.

The village of Murky Waters

I wanted to immerse myself in that strange world with its unusual soundtrack, and eventually I started slowly reading the books. Unbelievably, they too held the same magic. They immersed me in a new world, better than any franchise had ever done before or has since.

The Witcher 1 has some of the best and most unique music

I couldn't wait for TW2, but upon release I found it a bit disappointing. It seemed to be going for a more Game of Thrones style political games plot. Upon a second playthrough, I was able to tilt my perspective and ended up really enjoying it. (Specifically by reading this and this article)
This was now my favorite franchise across all mediums. I treasured its soundtrack, and any mention of the game would make me super happy and it would take me to another world. Just reading the word “Witcher” would give me goosebumps. You might laugh, but it was almost spiritual (in a creative sort of way, at least)

One of my favorite images related to The Witcher. It captures everything that I love.

I was unbelievably hyped when The Witcher 3 was announced. I'd never been this excited for anything. This was going to be the best game ever, no doubt. CDPR seemed like intelligent devs (they are) that loved franchise. I trusted them to nail it (they did) An open world Witcher game? The world from the Witcher? I could actually immerse myself, explore and live in that world? Holy crap.

When the game reached my house, it was one of the most important days ever. I wore the shirt, framed and put up the map on the wall above my desk, and took a lot of pictures of it all. As for the game itself, I enjoyed it. I was mildly disappointed as the world didn't include many iconic locations from the books (like the forests of Brokilon) but also my ageing laptop that could barely run the game affected my enjoyment quite a bit. I don't mean that it isn't an enjoyable/ beautiful experience (I guess a 2nd playthrough on a new machine will answer that - I intend to finally do that after posting this blog!) but this post isn't about that. But maybe the framerate is one of the main reasons why I don’t have fond and strong memories of playing that game (compared to TW1, where I clearly remember many of the moments)

The game was doing very well and gaining fame, and at this time it didn’t bother me at all. I remember really enjoying Angry Joe’s review of it as well. A few months later, it started becoming REALLY famous. People/friends that don't play games, and those that casually play one every now and then began asking about it, buying it, and everyone wanted to own it, just because it was the cool, new thing. They’d ask me - "Have you played The Witcher 3? It’s a new game with the best graphics and the biggest world! You can do anything!" It was now “the new Skyrim”.

It was now becoming this ultra popular thing that had been pulled out of the darkness and into the light, under the bright lights of an examination table almost. This might be childish, but because of this feeling, it was hard to look back at TW1’s ethereal tone and atmosphere and enjoy it, because its new found popularity made it feel as if the mystery was gone, or revealed. Does that make any sense?

I loved this strange and beautiful album that came with TW1 ("Music inspired by the game")

Still, none of that actually affected me until an incident with a friend of mine. He'd keep talking about how much fun TW3 was. He'd keep shitting over the previous two games and keep calling them crappy games in all aspects just because they were old, without giving them a shot. He /we aren't young, we're in our late 20s. He probably just did this to annoy me (and succeeded) I’d try to explain how the previous games were great too, but he wouldn’t listen. Him continuously playing TW3 while poking/ intentionally annoying me is probably one of the biggest reasons for the negative feelings I have for TW3’s popularity. Even though I've gotten over my irritation with him about this, the negative feelings towards TW3's popularity have remained.

This is also reflected in many comments online by players that discovered the franchise through TW3 that disregard TW1, calling it boring, clunky and saying that it hasn't aged well. Focusing on all that seems to be missing the point of TW1, and that's mainly because of how different, polished and popular TW3 turned out be.

One time I walked into that friend's room and another friend of ours said "You know this game? We never uninstall it from our computers." A third friend called me over to show me how impressive the hair looked in the game. Around this time was when my eyes opened and I realized just how big The Witcher had become. It seemed like it had lost its magic, its feeling of strangeness and its air of mystique. Of course, then it began to parallel Skyrim as the best game ever, a game that you could play forever, etc etc. It began being pulled into debates and arguments about which of those two games were the best ever. Began being included in "list" videos on YouTube. Its name was mentioned everywhere - YouTube comments, message boards, social media. It became a part of the Internet culture, Geralt became a household name, began being included in memes…

Today, you’ll stumble upon comments such as these:

"-How braindead must you be to play this in with this kind of visuals and most certainly sub 25fps to boot? How braindead must you be to not having played TW3 by 2019? The only people who have never played it, will never play it because they're clueless dudebros that play fortnite or pre teens that are into kiddy games. No same gamer has never touched TW3 over four years after its launch.

-Who the hell hasn't played this that's the question this damn game is 5 years old lol

-I agree. Some live under a rock. Others are just so clueless that they have fund out about TW3 in 2019. This is what happens when you've been playing yearly CoD and Madden for ten years straight

-Not carrying about a random POS game is one thing. Not carrying about masterpieces such as TW3 shows how disconnected you're from gaming as a whole."

This… ugh. That special world that had the ability to creatively and spiritually inspire through its mystery has now become a part of all this, like everything else. It takes away from its aura, you know?

Next thing, there's a Netflix TV show being made on the franchise, with a super famous actor, known for big budget Superman films, being cast as Geralt. (Though I've heard he's a big fan himself so that's a good thing, at least) The franchise is only about to get much bigger. I suspect the show is going to be huge, with GoT having ended recently and a huge fan base behind it to begin with.

*Continued...

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

Yeah, seeing someone claiming that TW1 and 2 were both clunky, buggy, cringey, barely playable mess and that it's only thanks to TW3 that CDPR is a renowned and respected developer always makes me smile (smile like when you see someone wearing a shirt backwards).
Let's forget the same AJ giving TW2 a very positive review back in 2011. Let's forget Obama's visit to Poland. Lets forget which game was brought up constantly in the aftermath of ME3 ending cataclysm as an example of the recent RPG with choices and consequences done right. I suppose TW3 was nominated for the most anticipated game in 2013 and won this "award" in 2014 because... it is a third entry in the trilogy and the general consensus regarding the previous two was that they were trash. :rolleyes:
That said, the mainstream popularity of TW3 didn't ruin anything for me, I'll always enjoy all three for what they are.

*Continued...

As a result of all this and my issues with its sudden popularity, around a year after its release I subsequently began detaching myself from the franchise to avoid feeling bad about it all, but I never forgot about it. I stopped listening to its soundtrack, watching videos of it, reading about it. But it kept bothering me that there was this unmatched magical world and experience that inspired me so often, and that source had now just gone. It still existed, but it didn't work anymore.

I stopped caring about completing my collection of the books too. Getting the books at the time was like a mysterious, rare thing, with a lack of English translations, and also, they were rarely available in shops. Even the covers were unique. Now it just feels like a mass produced item that's easy to get from any store at all. And the covers are promo art from the games...

I would instantly fall in love with anything that had a similar aesthetic to The Witcher. Movies like Black Death for instance, with themes like burning witches on the stake, cults, dark monasteries, evil priests etc. These dark themes suddenly had so much atmosphere to them. I fell in love with Rammstein because of the same reason.

Now, I obviously wish I didn't feel any of this... negativity and that I could join the world in loving TW3, but i cant.
But my hope is that writing this post is the first step towards getting over whatever that has bothered me for 4 years, so that I can get back to loving that universe again and that it can take me to those magical, inexplicable psychological and creative plains again.

I'm not necessarily a "hipster", the popularity of many other franchises doesn’t bother me - I love Red Dead Redemption 2 with all my heart. I loved Game of Thrones and even enjoy its popularity as it’s fun listening to and reading theories, and is often a decent conversation starter as well. I have loved Mass effect, GTA, LotR and many other franchises without their popularity bothering me at all. In fact I enjoy how some of those are a phenomena.

20190612_182346 (1).jpg

As I watch the very Witcher-esque dark clouds and leafless trees pass me by (pictured above) while I sit on this train and listen to The Witcher 3 soundtrack (King Bran's Voyage) for the first time again after many years (I forced myself to face it and listen to it) I feel a tinge of hope that maybe I've done what I'd needed to do for the past 4 years, that I can dare to face the game and the franchise again, and not be disappointed to discover that it just doesn't feel the same anymore. I've dealt with it accepted that things have changed, and hopefully the feeling of beauty and mystery will grab me and take me to another world again. There is a feeling of hope that I was just massively overreacting. Or was really immature. Or just that it'll successfully transport me to that strange, mysterious world again, without its popularity affecting anything. Maybe, just maybe I've just grown up and it's just that everything lost its luster at the same time as the franchise did for me.

Maybe the reason why TW3 got this popular and is loved by so many is because they felt the same way I originally did about TW1 and fell in love with its mysteries, and maybe that’s something I should feel happy about. I mean, I know that's not really the reason for many people but still, maybe a lot of people are attracted to the franchise because of its aura of mystery.

Maybe now, when I finally play the Witcher 3 again after 4 years of completely avoiding and ignoring it, on my new machine that runs it at a good framerate, I'll realize that the only reason I never felt the "magic" was because of the terrible (albeit playable) framerate on my first playthrough. Maybe that simple, technical fact had me fooled all this while.

You might think it's crazy for someone to be so dependent and influenced by a franchise. But as an artist it's everything to me. I live for it, and art like this is my source of awe and wonder, which inspires me to create, which is what I live for!

Maybe I'm just a selfish, immature, elitist a**hole, but I hope it's more than just that. In any case, I had to write and share this, it’s been rotting away in me for 4 years!

I really don't have anything to lose now by returning to the game, only, hopefully to gain. Maybe ill play it and still feel that no, it really has lost its magic. In either case, it’s time to move on, accept things and mainly just get over it.

I'm glad to have finally written this. I hope I didn't offend you with this post. I just needed to write this as honestly as possible. Thank you for reading all this, and I'd love to hear your opinions.
Post automatically merged:

Post automatically merged:

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________​

Yeah, seeing someone claiming that TW1 and 2 were both clunky, buggy, cringey, barely playable mess and that it's only thanks to TW3 that CDPR is a renowned and respected developer always makes me smile (smile like when you see someone wearing a shirt backwards).
Let's forget the same AJ giving TW2 a very positive review back in 2011. Let's forget Obama's visit to Poland. Lets forget which game was brought up constantly in the aftermath of ME3 ending cataclysm as an example of the recent RPG with choices and consequences done right. I suppose TW3 was nominated for the most anticipated game in 2013 and won this "award" in 2014 because... it is a third entry in the trilogy and the general consensus regarding the previous two was that they were trash. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the response! Yeah, you bring up very good point that highlight how the earlier games were great and appreciated even at the time.

That said, the mainstream popularity of TW3 didn't ruin anything for me, I'll always enjoy all three for what they are.
Yep, I know my negative feelings are unusual (and, admittedly, unpleasant for others) which is why I'm finally trying to deal with it and enjoy all three like everyone else :)

Last edited:
Not unusual at all. I'd vouch to say that pretty much everyone goes through what you're describing at some point or another in their lives. When something "magical" is put on the table and systematically gutted by someone else who doesn't appreciate it as much. That, unfortunately, is life on Earth.

I wouldn't internalize it, myself. The world is full of "people" saying "things", trying to insist that their views are correct and other views are just wrong. Modern technology makes it very easy to do so, and the deindividuation resulting from the anonymity of the internet exacerbates the worst behavior in some. It usually manifests in "popular" being mistaken with "validated". Obviously, things that gain the most attention are also the ones that draw the most flak.

I ignore most of it. All that matters in the end is how you feel about the things you experience. Everyone else is welcome to their own opinions, and there will be no shortage of people challenging what you're thinking or doing. But if you want to enjoy TW1, 2, and 3 for what they are, then absolutely no one can take that away. They can but say "things" about it. :)

Not unusual at all. I'd vouch to say that pretty much everyone goes through what you're describing at some point or another in their lives. When something "magical" is put on the table and systematically gutted by someone else who doesn't appreciate it as much. That, unfortunately, is life on Earth.

Thank you for your kind response :) Means a lot to read that (before posting I even feared that this thread might be locked due to its negativity) You're right, and probably it affected me so much this time was because The Witcher eventually became more important to me than any franchise had done before.

I wouldn't internalize it, myself. The world is full of "people" saying "things", trying to insist that their views are correct and other views are just wrong. Modern technology makes it very easy to do so, and the deindividuation resulting from the anonymity of the internet exacerbates the worst behavior in some. It usually manifests in "popular" being mistaken with "validated". Obviously, things that gain the most attention are also the ones that draw the most flak.

I ignore most of it. All that matters in the end is how you feel about the things you experience. Everyone else is welcome to their own opinions, and there will be no shortage of people challenging what you're thinking or doing. But if you want to enjoy TW1, 2, and 3 for what they are, then absolutely no one can take that away. They can but say "things" about it. :)

I should clarify though, I'm not totally sure if my issue was people online hating on TW1 and 2. To be more honest maybe I made it sound like the main thing because that's kinda understandable. I think more relevant was the part about something strange and mysterious becoming a popular, almost ordinary product, and that I wanted to selfishly keep that world to myself. Which is not cool, of course but... it is what it is you know!
But posting this blog has been a huge relief and I have just started my second playthrough. Feeling positive about it overall for sure :)

I should clarify though, I'm not totally sure if my issue was people online hating on TW1 and 2. To be more honest maybe I made it sound like the main thing because that's kinda understandable. I think more relevant was the part about something strange and mysterious becoming a popular, almost ordinary product, and that I wanted to selfishly keep that world to myself. Which is not cool, of course but... it is what it is you know!
But posting this blog has been a huge relief and I have just started my second playthrough. Feeling positive about it overall for sure :)

Heh...I sort of get what you mean. I would guess that it's watching people trivialize (positively or negatively) what was always so sentimental to you. It spoils the magic. I don't let that type of stuff interfere with what I choose to like in any way, shape, or form. At worst, I feel bummed when something I really love falls completely flat for someone else.

In the end, though, it's a game. Some will take it. Some will leave it. The sun will rise. The sun will set...

Exactly this. What you loved about the series is still there in those games and books, it hasn't changed, only your outlook on them. I do understand that you feel like something has been "taken" from you, as its been given to the millions of people that discovered The Witcher series, where you discovered it many years before them. Maybe that is a poor description, but trust me I get where you are coming from, and I feel like i'd feel the same way. But I don't think it should influence the way you originally perceived the games and the books ;) As I said, they are still the same, and just as good.

I do hope you'll "re-discover" your love and passion for The Witcher in your 2nd playthrough of Wild Hunt, also the expansions if you haven't yet! I just ended my 3rd playthrough of Wild Hunt a couple of days ago, and am now looking to start reading the books again for the 3rd time x)

In the end, though, it's a game. Some will take it. Some will leave it. The sun will rise. The sun will set...

Yes, even though the franchise means a lot to me, it's important to remember that! :D

Exactly this. What you loved about the series is still there in those games and books, it hasn't changed, only your outlook on them. I do understand that you feel like something has been "taken" from you, as its been given to the millions of people that discovered The Witcher series, where you discovered it many years before them. Maybe that is a poor description, but trust me I get where you are coming from, and I feel like i'd feel the same way. But I don't think it should influence the way you originally perceived the games and the books ;) As I said, they are still the same, and just as good.

I do hope you'll "re-discover" your love and passion for The Witcher in your 2nd playthrough of Wild Hunt, also the expansions if you haven't yet! I just ended my 3rd playthrough of Wild Hunt a couple of days ago, and am now looking to start reading the books again for the 3rd time x)

You guys here are the nicest! :) That's a pretty accurate description actually, and it's good to know you understand the whole feeling. I started my new playthrough yesterday and it did feel quite good. I've grown up over the past 4 years regarding this, and I was happy to note that my negative thoughts were almost non existent. Let's see how the rest of the playthrough feels. I didn't play the expansions back then as they weren't out yet, so I'm sure I'm in for a treat! Can't wait to gush about them here with you guys ;)

Top Bottom