The problem with hype

+
I think people are hoping that it will usher in a new interest in gwent in general as well as fuel a whole new branch of game modes. After playing the last two events, I think this is a bit naive for many reasons, but if anyone can surprise me, it's CDPR. If you are coming down with a genuine hype fever, bless you, because you have yet to be disappointed by year after year of mediocre releases and sequels, the hype trampled out of you, or maybe you are just filled with hope, an even worse fate.

The only company that uses the media to whip people into a frenzy and delivers almost every time is Rockstar. They tend to announce things fairly late, and aren't afraid to chain their programmers to their desks to get things done on time. I'm all for it because, after all, what's a little human suffering dragged out over months - if not years - compared to the need for things to be released on time.

Last edited:
The biggest problem with hype is that consumers become more inclined to buy into marketing rather than the product itself.

CDPR haven't hyped Thronebreaker that hard. Videogamers like to hype themselves up. It's part of the culture. Myself, I don't engage with it. I'm looking forward to Thronebreaker, it's why I started playing Gwent in the first place, but I've got tons of other things to do until it actually comes out.

Riven-Twain;n9584901 said:
Ah, a hype thread. These can be entertaining, one way or the other. . . . Incidentally, the RED Team will be revealing something about Thronebreaker in their next episode of A Round of Gwent, so we may know a bit more Soon®:
click here

viddeo can't play "this video not available"

Last edited:
johnson83;n10422172 said:
viddeo can't play "this video not available"
Hmm. Seems it's been removed. However, no matter. That particular video was only a short teaser clip for A Round of Gwent, and the episode to which it referred is still available:

Last edited:
Hype seems to be easy to stir, difficult to live up to. Personally I prefer games to be announced closer to release, like less than a month. Then have a big push for it so hype doesn't have a chance to fall off, this works best when the game is good quality though, a bad game with too much hype gets trashed (looking at you no mans sky).

It's a balancing act :/

Top Bottom