The Problem with Nilfgaard

+
If you have issues beating ST, then I am most definitely sure that the problem is with you :ohstopit::coolstory::p:p
They are definitely not as bad as many claim. The only thing that truly held Deadeye Ambush back was SK. That deck was pretty op before the expansion and now it seems to be back again:disapprove:
Post automatically merged:

If you lose R1 with Elves then you can either hope for them not drawing anything or forfeit. Ironically, Elves will bleed NG for short R3 where they can fill the row and point slam fast (the list with symbiosis). Or they often go for 2-0. If you're the devotion NG, then you either drew to defend or you didn't and you're stuck with no tutors.

You gotta win that R1. And with the NG and the where-are-my-points situation, it's always hard... And then there's is the risk of going into long round vs. Elves and finding out that they are the swarm kind with Isengrim, Talismans, Triss, etc.

BTW gotta love the Gwent meta ecosystem. SK was nerfed, and suddenly Elves pop up. :)

MO is king now.
Will try that, but if I commit Ball or Ramon and Enforcers with Fergus just to get round control there's not really much left..

I autoconcede against NG. Its just not fun for me. I really think the game would be strictly better without them.

So obviously my main complaint with NG is how absurd the amount of removal and tools to stop your opponents strategy is and adding to that - the fact that there is no way to really play around all of the tools they COULD have.

All other factions usually have 1 or 2 fairly predictable strategies that require a lot of synergy cards and after the first round you generally have a good idea what their deck looks like and can play around that.

The problem here - and what makes Nilfgaard very different from other factions in that regard - is how many different tools they have and the fact that those tools for the most part dont require synergy (with the exception of the soldier that shoots) or the synergy is just always there (Helge). In addition those tools like locks, poison, damage spam, take a 3 and so on are generally very impactful and change the way the game is played in an extremely significant way. (That is to say they are generally worth a lot of points because it is easy for NG to plan against their opponents cards/strategy --> see above most factions - except NG - are fairly predictable.)

This means that it is very hard to predict which specific cards to bring against them, how to mulligan and so on.
Do you play around them having a 3rd or 4th lock? Do you play around them having 4+ poisons after playing 0 in the first round? Will they just instaremove everything you play with damage? Do you need removal for Helge or instalose the game because nothing will stick after that?

The idea to allow you to check your opponents deck at the beginning of the game came up a while back and imo this is the only way to fix the faction without a complete rework.

tl;dr: Playing against NG is not fun because they have so many very different removal/denial tools (pretty much all of which require basically no synergy) that it is not possible to plan/play around them. It is significantly more luck based wether or not you kept the proper cards to not get countered and it feels as if the person playing against NG can not make good decisions based on information - its pure luck and winning relies on luck or the NG player not using their tools correctly against your strategy.

All the important decisionmaking is purely made by the NG player while you can just make a wild guess and hopefully guess right.
Post automatically merged:

come one man - why are we merging everything - that just kills the post entirely
no reason to use this forum anymore i guess
what a waste of time

Last edited:
Are we talking about the same game here? ST? Elves? The only ST I face are PrecisionStrike Shirru shenanigans and MF non-devotion of-course-no-zoltan-or-munro dwarfs. And that I face them rarely. I am currently playing in R2.
He's always playing a different game. He thinks ST and MO are dominating. ST is by no means weak but much like MO they fall below SK, NG and NR.
The nerf to SK has put ST in a better position because NG doesn't do well against wide plays so you'll notice less dwarves and more elves being played but SK is still pretty good so I don't see much changing for ST

please don't nerf nifgaard please. it's fine the way it is in fact add better card to it. love nifgaard.

Everyone's talking about how Skellige's so overpowered and needs to be nerfed immediately, but very surprisingly, almost no one has mentioned how Nilfgaard is just as ridiculously overpowered. I recently got to Pro Rank

I'm nowhere near that level but have played a Nil poison deck for ages. It used to do all right but I find that most factions can completely obliterate it. Nor has its BS units which just grow endlessly etc. From my point of view, Nil is probably the weakest faction. However, I am not a netdecker, so that might explain why my Nil deck is so useless against every other faction.

With the expansion, Veil units are immune to poison, so that's pretty much nerfed my deck too. And how about that Ciri? Veil. Shield. Resilience. Ridiculous.

I'm nowhere near that level but have played a Nil poison deck for ages. It used to do all right but I find that most factions can completely obliterate it. Nor has its BS units which just grow endlessly etc. From my point of view, Nil is probably the weakest faction. However, I am not a netdecker, so that might explain why my Nil deck is so useless against every other faction.

With the expansion, Veil units are immune to poison, so that's pretty much nerfed my deck too. And how about that Ciri? Veil. Shield. Resilience. Ridiculous.
It's funny you mention Ciri since the faction that utilizes her the best is actually NG lol

The problem with Nilfgaard is that it exists. So the solution is pretty simple: abolish it completely. [ . . . ] You're welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's funny you mention Ciri since the faction that utilizes her the best is actually NG lol

Adding Ciri would defeat the point of my Nil poison deck since she can't poison anyone! Also, my main poison deck has the Scenario in it but maybe I've got another Nil poison deck without that, maybe for the Seasonal mode. I.e. Ciri would be nerfed playing in my deck with the Scenario. Ciri seems to work well with any faction though.

It's odd that Nil has been nerfed and the new Veil units just nerf it even more. The decks which obliterate my poison deck are way worse as far as OP goes. My deck is anything but OP.

It's odd that Nil has been nerfed and the new Veil units just nerf it even more. The decks which obliterate my poison deck are way worse as far as OP goes. My deck is anything but OP.
It sounds like you never adapted to the Master Mirror expansion. Poison is still ridiculously strong, but with the presence of Veil, you can no spam it because some units are now immune. You'll probably have to replace some of the Poison cards in your deck with some cards from another one of Nilfgaard's archetype (e.g. Spies, Soldiers, Assimiliate, etc.).

The fact that you can reuse a scenario via the Milfgurd mage woman is one of the most ridiculous things in this game. -.- NG seriously needs to be looked into and nerfed, at the VERY LEAST give scenarios the doomed status! Right now it's I either have Korathi in my hand that round he casts Ball or I may just forfeit and save us some time.

The fact that you can reuse a scenario via the Milfgurd mage woman is one of the most ridiculous things in this game. -.- NG seriously needs to be looked into and nerfed, at the VERY LEAST give scenarios the doomed status! Right now it's I either have Korathi in my hand that round he casts Ball or I may just forfeit and save us some time.

And yet the data shows that NG is dead last among the 6 factions.

And yet the data shows that NG is dead last among the 6 factions.

NG isn't broken in all possible aspects, some aspects of it are normal. But there are very specific possibilities to abuse stuff that NG has, thankfully not all players play in that exact particular fashion, some people actually want to have fun and try out new stuff rather then push one single broken meta again and again (double-Ball being the most notorious example).

You don't need Bomb Heaver or Heatwave to win against Double Ball, just get out of round 1 as fast as possible if you're on blue coin and the opponent used scenario. And Gedyneith can also be replayed by the way, this one is even worse in a short round.

It sounds like you never adapted to the Master Mirror expansion. Poison is still ridiculously strong, but with the presence of Veil, you can no spam it because some units are now immune. You'll probably have to replace some of the Poison cards in your deck with some cards from another one of Nilfgaard's archetype (e.g. Spies, Soldiers, Assimiliate, etc.).

Mon has spamming with the Thrive units which spawn copies of themselves. Why does one kind of spamming get nerfed and another kind not touched at all?

I'm a regular player of Nil poison decks and I can tell you that often other factions' decks wipe the floor with me and it's not even competitive. Maybe, if I'm lucky, I can win round 2 with one card. Grinding for keys, sometimes I just try and win round 1, even if I get behind on cards. I've had factions beat me even though I've had a two card advantage too. It's a bad system where that can often happen.

@Philido, hats off to you. Must be extremely draining to be in all of the NG threads having the same conversations over and over.

NG is not OP but its annoying and its popular.

Ladder is infested with NG because it's a reliable way to pro rank. Once people hit pro it drops off. Top players be it streamers or tournament goers are having more fun and success with other factions.

NG are the Neo Gatekeepers, if you can't beat them then i think you have 2 options.
1. Play/watch them and see what they struggle with then adjust your deck.
2. Auto forfeit against NG en masse. This is not enjoyable for either party but if you push the NG win rates high enough then CDPR will need to do something.

@Philido, hats off to you. Must be extremely draining to be in all of the NG threads having the same conversations over and over.

NG is not OP but its annoying and its popular.

Ladder is infested with NG because it's a reliable way to pro rank. Once people hit pro it drops off. Top players be it streamers or tournament goers are having more fun and success with other factions.

NG are the Neo Gatekeepers, if you can't beat them then i think you have 2 options.
1. Play/watch them and see what they struggle with then adjust your deck.
2. Auto forfeit against NG en masse. This is not enjoyable for either party but if you push the NG win rates high enough then CDPR will need to do something.
Well, I'm trying my best to understand the endless Nilfgaard rants. Haven't made much progress so far xD

Well, I'm trying my best to understand the endless Nilfgaard rants. Haven't made much progress so far xD

I totally get it. I play exclusively NG, and I HATE playing against NG.

It's because NG gets in the way of what you want to do.

Stop locking my units; stop copying my units; stop poisoning my units; stop filling my side of the board with your dang spies! LOL :p

Top Bottom