The Problem with Nilfgaard

+
Since there were mention of some NG buffs coming up here's what I'm hoping for:

Infiltrator: Power reduced from 4 to 3, added ability "If played during Round 1 boost self by 2".
Enforcers: Gain 1 armor.
Coup De Grace: Reduced to 9 provisions (seems likely).
Cynthia: Buffed to 7 power.

There's probably more I can think of but for starters I think these would go a long way. Especially Cynthia and Infiltrator since they synergize with the added cards. If left as they are I don't think these two would see much play even with the added support.

Infiltrator: Power reduced from 4 to 3, added ability "If played during Round 1 boost self by 2".

There's probably more I can think of but for starters I think these would go a long way. Especially Cynthia and Infiltrator since they synergize with the added cards. If left as they are I don't think these two would see much play even with the added support.
I wish enforcers got their 2 damage back. Spies are too weak. The others I agree with more or less

Even though armor does not translate to points directly, I'd still see it utilized a lot more in case of NG soldiers. Adding a few extra abilities enabled while having/losing armor is a fitting passive for them. Quite honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing at least 1 point of armor on all NG soldiers (except specific golds ofc).

I wish enforcers got their 2 damage back. Spies are too weak.
This would cause problems with mass-enablers like Fergus and Usurper - those combos would be a bit too heavy with 2-3 Enforcers on board.

Even though armor does not translate to points directly, I'd still see it utilized a lot more in case of NG soldiers. Adding a few extra abilities enabled while having/losing armor is a fitting passive for them. Quite honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing at least 1 point of armor on all NG soldiers (except specific golds ofc).

This would cause problems with mass-enablers like Fergus and Usurper - those combos would be a bit too heavy with 2-3 Enforcers on board.
I disagree. It would help compensate the bad point value of bronze Spy. Besides having multiple enforcers stick on the board at the same time isn't going to be super easy with all the control flying around and to be honest there has been *a lot* of powercreep among engines: priests are 5p, Drummers are 5p and there are also Hamadryads and Kerack city guard. Finally, I think that set-up should equal to pay-off. If I've spento resources to have my enforcers survive I want to see my efforts compensated.

Last edited:
I disagree. It would help compensate the bad point value of bronze Spy. Besides having multiple enforcers stick on the board at the same time isn't going to be super easy with all the control flying around and to be honest there has been *a lot* of powercreep among engines: priests are 5p, Drummers are 5p and there are also Hamadryads and Kerack city guard. Finally, I think that set-up should equal to pay-off. If I've spento resources to have my enforcers survive I want to see my efforts compensated.
I believe making/reverting the Enforcers to sort of a glass cannon type unit is not the ideal direction. Increasing their damage should not be the right way to boost other bronzes (like spies). Synergy is important, but simply being able to put a Fergus on a board with just 2 active Enforcers would yield a total of 12 points of directed damage in one swing - too much in my book.

However, imagine them having 2 armor to start with (4 with Ramon). Removing a 4+2 point unit is way more difficult than killing a body of 4. That way they could actually stick and enable spies to yield good extra value with those free pings, yet wouldn't allow massive pointswings in just one turn (+3 dmg per Endorcer for Fergus or +2 for Usurper is still good value).

I believe making/reverting the Enforcers to sort of a glass cannon type unit is not the ideal direction. Increasing their damage should not be the right way to boost other bronzes (like spies). Synergy is important, but simply being able to put a Fergus on a board with just 2 active Enforcers would yield a total of 12 points of directed damage in one swing - too much in my book.

However, imagine them having 2 armor to start with (4 with Ramon). Removing a 4+2 point unit is way more difficult than killing a body of 4. That way they could actually stick and enable spies to yield good extra value with those free pings, yet wouldn't allow massive pointswings in just one turn (+3 dmg per Endorcer for Fergus or +2 for Usurper is still good value).
Well Fergus is meant to be a devotion payoff, just like emperor (who costs 12p) is meant to be a finisher, so imho generating good value on the board (with synergies, mind you) is a given.

And it's not like Fergus would be absurd value when you consider that new Witcher they are going to add next expansionz whose sole requirement is to rowstack

1p damage doesn't compensate for Spies being bad, because it just moves the problem on the engine. Most bronze are 5 points, which was already rather bad pre-MM and it's even worse now that you want 7 for 4s.

To Better illustrate the concept, if enforcers damaged by 2 then 1 point would be a reward for the engine and one point would go to the Spy making 5+1=6 decent value

Regarding your suggestion, while increased protection would be nice, gutting slash is a thing and would render them the perfect target, forcing even more protection. I'll take the damage.

Leo Bonhart should be looked into so he can fit into the new expansion since now that he has a plethora of additional targets he is just too damn useful and reliable. Back in the day his "Ranged: Destroy a Witcher" deploy ability was more of a meme thing and made him a slightly better version of Geralt of Rivia since it had so little possible and useful targets... But now with this new Witcher themed expansion he's just too versatile!
I suggest the following, change his front row to "deal 4 dmg to one enemy unit" instead of the current "destroy a card with 9 or more points", or remove the witcher killing one, OR give a cap to his front row ability like "destroy a unit whose power is inbetween 9 and 12".
Or add something like "If Ciri is on the enemy side of the board cancel the deploy and destroy self", since she's the one who killed him in the books. :D
I mean... imagine if ST had a card that was like that except instead of destroy witcher it would instantly destroy a human... :|

Also the whole NG faction is just too versatile.. I really can't think of a situation where NG isn't almost perfectly equipped to deal with! They have too many tools for every possible situation, best factional locks, even the best purify! I mean look at other faction purify, each have some limitation like MO you need dominance to purifu your own otherwise it's just enemy, ST you need an Elf to purify enemies, NR doesn't have one lmao but that's okay, SK at least has Gremist but he's 7 provision and Idk for SY since I don't play them...
But yeah, NG is best at locking and best at the opposite thing being a purify, not only does their purify not have limitations on targets BUT is also a frecking engine! At what cost? being 1 power less? Lmao.....
Look, if NR has a theme of being bad at purify then maybe NG can have a theme for being bad at SOMETHING, they may also have the best thinning too since they have both dogs and Impera brigades... They have tall punish galore (poisons, damage and just outright instant destruction or banish (putting a card into your own deck so is basically a better version of banishing)), engine disable galore, purifies, thinning, decent engines of their own, deck manipulation galore, even bloody pointslam with stuff like Usurper and the guy who plays a card from ur deck + boosts it by EIGHT (forgot his name rn)!

Leo Bonhart should be looked into so he can fit into the new expansion since now that he has a plethora of additional targets he is just too damn useful and reliable. Back in the day his "Ranged: Destroy a Witcher" deploy ability was more of a meme thing and made him a slightly better version of Geralt of Rivia since it had so little possible and useful targets... But now with this new Witcher themed expansion he's just too versatile!
I suggest the following, change his front row to "deal 4 dmg to one enemy unit" instead of the current "destroy a card with 9 or more points", or remove the witcher killing one, OR give a cap to his front row ability like "destroy a unit whose power is inbetween 9 and 12".
Or add something like "If Ciri is on the enemy side of the board cancel the deploy and destroy self", since she's the one who killed him in the books. :D
I mean... imagine if ST had a card that was like that except instead of destroy witcher it would instantly destroy a human... :|

Also the whole NG faction is just too versatile.. I really can't think of a situation where NG isn't almost perfectly equipped to deal with! They have too many tools for every possible situation, best factional locks, even the best purify! I mean look at other faction purify, each have some limitation like MO you need dominance to purifu your own otherwise it's just enemy, ST you need an Elf to purify enemies, NR doesn't have one lmao but that's okay, SK at least has Gremist but he's 7 provision and Idk for SY since I don't play them...
But yeah, NG is best at locking and best at the opposite thing being a purify, not only does their purify not have limitations on targets BUT is also a frecking engine! At what cost? being 1 power less? Lmao.....
Look, if NR has a theme of being bad at purify then maybe NG can have a theme for being bad at SOMETHING, they may also have the best thinning too since they have both dogs and Impera brigades... They have tall punish galore (poisons, damage and just outright instant destruction or banish (putting a card into your own deck so is basically a better version of banishing)), engine disable galore, purifies, thinning, decent engines of their own, deck manipulation galore, even bloody pointslam with stuff like Usurper and the guy who plays a card from ur deck + boosts it by EIGHT (forgot his name rn)!
Nope. Bonhart should stay as he is. Removing his melee option would just make him a faction Geralt

ya1

Forum regular
Look, if NR has a theme of being bad at purify then maybe NG can have a theme for being bad at SOMETHING

1) Unconditional points. NG got no 8 for 5 or 7 for 4. There is no unconditional high value high-end cards. Bratheens is crazy with a setup but without he's just an 11 for 10, and you need that poor-ass Emissary in your deck. Then Usurper is 12 for 12. Now look at other factions like MO for example.

2) Engine value. NG got no Sauls, Frigates, etc. Nothing with a reliable 2+/turn.

NG is indeed kinda stupid now in this meta. But I'll rather have strong NG than the likes of Viy or Lippy running around without any counters. When Lockdown is the best NG leader, it means that something is indeed a little wrong with the meta... Instead of balancing NG, I'd turn the attention to the what NG counters and why is it so successful against everything else.

Nauzica Sargent keeps playing for like 1-3 points per turn! He should only be boosting himself for Deploy abilities that YOU play on YOUR side of the board, not like these crazy combos with Duchess' Informants where it boosts for her deploy and then for the deploy of the unit copied. I mean, you throw down Vigo or Brathens = 1 deploy then you pick Informant = 2nd deploy and they copy a unit with deploy = 3rd deploy! wtf man, a 2-3 point per turn engine for 4 provisions? That's just too much, deeze guys grow up to 14 points at some games.

Last edited:
I really hope there is no BUFF whatsoever to any NG cards.

As it is now, 8 out of 10 matches in pro rank are all NG

I cannot imagine playing 9 out of 10 NG daily next season.

I really hope there is no BUFF whatsoever to any NG cards.

As it is now, 8 out of 10 matches in pro rank are all NG

I cannot imagine playing 9 out of 10 NG daily next season.
The problem is that there are many decks around which heavily depend on their leader (Lippy, Viy) and Lockdown is very effective here. Once they get nerfed it should become better again.

NG is popular because too many archetypes produce insane points. SK movement, SK Lippy, MO Viy, as well as NR anything have engines and/or pointslam that are auto-lose for an opponent if uncountered. And only NG has adequate counters that still allow a deck beyond counters. At least NG decks have variety.

Top Bottom