The Problem with Nilfgaard

+
NG is popular because too many archetypes produce insane points. SK movement, SK Lippy, MO Viy, as well as NR anything have engines and/or pointslam that are auto-lose for an opponent if uncountered. And only NG has adequate counters that still allow a deck beyond counters. At least NG decks have variety.

Yes - IMO it's the only faction that allows creativity and some semblance of strategic play from match to match (not just from one "pre-fab-meta-deck-with-built-in-play-sequence" to the other). Most other factions are just trying to blindly outscore each other regardless of what the other person is doing on their side of the board. Why even have an opponent in that case? Just play once and post your high score online :p

Playing SY hidden cache a lot. Then I face Lockdown NG.

"OK, so no 3 coins for my SY deck per round, but also no more Hoard -2...."

Then i look at my hand full of Hoard cards :)
--
Why does only NG (w. any other ability than Lockdown) has the ability to counter NG Lockdown with Damien (plus Letho, cos hey, why not!). No other faction can do this.

Also played some SY self-poison decks...wouldn't recommend it.

Everyone's talking about how Skellige's so overpowered and needs to be nerfed immediately, but very surprisingly, almost no one has mentioned how Nilfgaard is just as ridiculously overpowered. I recently got to Pro Rank, and it seems as though everyone and their mother is playing Nilfgaard. I literally have yet to encounter another faction. That says a lot all by itself, but as for specifics, Nilfgaard still has the strongest scenario, amazing synergy between their various archetypes (unlike the other factions), and the new expansion gave them a number of truly fantastic cards. All of their Disloyal cards allow them to completely counter any swarm archetype as well as build a nearly unitless deck if they feel so inclined.

I'm not really sure how to fix Nilfgaard, but clearly something has to be done. I can at least say that the problem lies in the cards and not the leader abilities since they're all used fairly equally; although, I do think that Imperial Formation could stand to lose 1 of its 4 charges as its ability to protect multiple engines while still generating 13 points (after summoming Affan Hillergrand) is a bit too much. The place to start is probably with Masquerade Ball, but that in no way addresses the Spy problem. Maybe CDPR can find some way to increase the row limit. I really don't know. What does everyone else think? I encourage anyone who responds to remain constructive. I know I didn't offer much myself, but we need specific solutions that will ultimately allow other factions (not just Skellige) the ability to face Nilfgaard on a relatively even playing field. I'm not as sure about Monsters, Scoia'tael, and Syndicate, but it at least seems as though Northern Realms is an automatic loss against any Nilfgaard deck.
+1111111
I had just delete the game, because in my last 20 games ı played againts NG 15 times. Then the game itself seems to me pretty monoton. There is 5 faction and people are all playing NG. I mean ı know too it is pretty strong right now (actually always had been) but what is your problem? Do you enjoy to playing all same cards and decks over and over just because you win easily? Poison assimilate disloyal spy all the things ı saw always. Enough ı am done with this.

ya1

Forum regular
No, because nothing else wins with Viy. Also, the reason why Viy isn't played that much (which is good). Popularity of NG is only a mirror to the state of the meta.

Play Congregate or Elves or SK if you wanna have a good matchup against NG.

No, because nothing else wins with Viy. Also, the reason why Viy isn't played that much (which is good). Popularity of NG is only a mirror to the state of the meta.

Play Congregate or Elves or SK if you wanna have a good matchup against NG.
Congregate deck has little control, you could add more but that just weakens the archetype, it's also easy to bleed. Even worse is Fireswarm vs Millfgaard Reversed Mill .... Maybe Swarm vs Lockdown works.

To quote ESC meta report on Lockdown:
"Denying the opposing Leader is often considered a win condition."

Last edited:
We should put a point value (like some like to count Consume from MO as a point value which makes complete sense) on the "lock" effect, let's say 4 (minimum), in which case a unit with 5 provisions shouldn't have 5 power + 1 armor + lock!!!! wtf, that's 9 power + 1 armor basically, and that's exactly what they gave NG a bronze 5 provision unit, ridiculous! also they have a 7 power + 1 armor card for 4 provision! at least make that thing have a devotion condition like the Aen Ellse Conquerer which destroys himself on deploy if you're not playing devotion.

We should put a point value (like some like to count Consume from MO as a point value which makes complete sense) on the "lock" effect, let's say 4 (minimum), in which case a unit with 5 provisions shouldn't have 5 power + 1 armor + lock!!!! wtf, that's 9 power + 1 armor basically, and that's exactly what they gave NG a bronze 5 provision unit, ridiculous! also they have a 7 power + 1 armor card for 4 provision! at least make that thing have a devotion condition like the Aen Ellse Conquerer which destroys himself on deploy if you're not playing devotion.
Alba Armored Cavalry needed that buff badly

What if I lock, let's say, a four point Cat Witcher? Cat Witcher gets deployed, jumps to the other row and deals one damage. Gets locked by Alba which has five strength and one armor. That means we have a relatively even trade. Possible synergies with Thirsty Dame and Seargent (if they actually survive) are justified because control is meant to be strong against engines. It's pretty bad to simply say that a lock is worth four points at minimum because it completely depends on your opponent's cards. Locks do also brick sometimes, you know.

ya1

Forum regular
Lockdown NG is fine. It has some good matchups. It has some bad matchups. It's perfectly mid-tier right now. Nothing broken, nothing to see. Here's a nice vid made by top ladder players as reference:

I think NG buffs were spot on. NG still lacks unconditional tempo catch-ups. But at least it isn't so hopelessly outpointed by anything and everything.

Must feel good playing Lockdown and getting matched vs a Viy-spamming degenerate though... ^-^
You really have some deep hatred in you, right? Even making a thread about all this. I'd also like to play whatever deck I want and genuinely enjoy (Lockdown definitely isn't one of them), but that's just the way you win as many games as possible. And in a game where winning is crucial this is only natural. I'm currently using Enslave 5 which is also pretty successful. Imperial Formation is unfortunately dead.

ya1

Forum regular
Must feel good playing Lockdown and getting matched vs a Viy-spamming degenerate though... ^-^

Sadly, Viy comes in waves. It's probably the dumbest, most polarized deck there ever was. When it's around, people start packing double Spores and Yrdens, and then it's gone. People stop packing double Spores and Yrdens, and Viy comes back invincible. Now it's kinda gone afaik so Lockdown isn't having so many great matchups thus it isn't all that strong.

The fact devs didn't hotfix it or even patch Viy is really hard to digest. I get it devs need vacations but... But!

20210205005409_1.jpg

Ok so gg you just win cause you played a 9 prov card that I can't get to. -_-
No doubt would have been followed by Letho transformation into 1 more Cahir if I hadn't cut this crap short by forfeiting.

Gwent the Heatwave/Yrden card game. You don't play it, you lose. Same with plenty of other factions.
True though. Cheap answers for cheap questions do exist and I am guilty of not using them. Though I do roll a HW but I had to use it in R1 vs a Crystal Skull boosted Damien. On the other hand Yirden would do jack shit vs any of the 2343245423534 SK (mostly Lippy or occasional Warriors) decks that are being played rn.

OHH I HAVE AN IDEA!!!
Give us a card with the following effect:
Deploy: Randomly distribute boosts among all of your units, boost being equal to the total amount of damage you received during this round.

This would only be fair vs factions like SK who don't go tall but dish out dmg instead. Not fair that boosts can be taken away easily but damage done is always a safe bet!
(a card with this effect already exists in Thronebreaker except it's an Order ability)

Last edited:
I think the devs want control decks to be in meta so they can make the game fast and interesting for people who don't want to out their time into the game

The English forum requires users to write in English, as per the forum rules. One post and quotes deleted.

(Translating posts for other users could encourage them to continue posting in the wrong language.)

Top Bottom