The Rain and Weather effects need an overhaul.

+
The cyberpunk/neon city aesthetic is really immersive with rain. I know that the game has more important issues atm but here are some improvements that i think the game's rain effects need.

• the rain in the distance needs to not look so 2d as atm it looks like there's a filter over your screen and it looks like its running at 20fps

• Actually be able to see rain drops up close because atm you cant
    • you cant see rain drops break when they hit a surface such as the road, various objects, the player model and npc's
    • there are barley any puddles that show rain drops hitting them.

• water running down gutters

• Having variation in rain and wind would also be great.
    • i.e heavy rain, light rain, low winds, high winds. Transition's between the various effects.

• The a.i. reacting to these various weather effects would also be great. Especially when the extremely rare occurrence of acid rain happens.

What i will say that looks good is when driving fast in 3rd person at certain angles it looks good.

Games that have great rain and weather effects (for reference)

Most Titles using Cryengine
  • Crysis 3 - Cryengine 3 (probably the best)
  • Sniper ghost warrior 3 - Cryengine
  • homefront the revolution - Cryengine
  • Miscreated - Cryengine
  • Kingdom come deliverance -Cryengine
The Cryengine gives Great rain and weather effects right out of the box.

• Battlefield series - Frostbite
  • Dying light - chrome engine 6
  • Mafia 3 - Illusion engine
  • Batman: Arkham Knight - Unreal engine 3
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 - RAGE engine
  • Driveclub - Driveclub engine
  • Metro series - 4A Engine
  • outlast 2 - Unreal Engine 3

Video Examples

That concludes it for now but just imagine this game the rain from Crysis 3 or the Blade Runner movies.

Last edited:
The cyberpunk/neon city aesthetic is really immersive with rain. I know that the game has more important issues atm but here are some improvements that i think the game's rain effects need.

• the rain in the distance needs to not look so 2d as atm it looks like there's a filter over your screen and it looks like its running at 20fps

• Actually be able to see rain drops up close because atm you cant
    • you cant see rain drops break when they hit a surface such as the road, various objects, the player model and npc's
    • there are barley any puddles that show rain drops hitting them.

• water running down gutters

• Having variation in rain and wind would also be great.
    • i.e heavy rain, light rain, low winds, high winds. Transition's between the various effects.

• The a.i. reacting to these various weather effects would also be great. Especially when the extremely rare occurrence of acid rain happens.

What i will say that looks good is when driving fast in 3rd person at certain angles it looks good.

Games that have great rain and weather effects (for reference)

Most Titles using Cryengine
  • Crysis 3 - Cryengine 3 (probably the best)
  • Sniper ghost warrior 3 - Cryengine
  • homefront the revolution - Cryengine
  • Miscreated - Cryengine
The Cryengine gives rain and weather effects right out of the box.

• Battlefield series - Frostbite
  • Dying light - chrome engine 6
  • Mafia 3 - Illusion engine
  • Batman: Arkham Knight - Unreal engine 3
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 - RAGE engine
  • Driveclub - Driveclub engine
  • Metro series - 4A Engine
  • outlast 2 - Unreal Engine 3

That concludes it for now but just imagine this game the rain from Crysis 3 or the Blade Runner movies.

Whole game needs an overhaul, they should do like Square Enix did with FFXIV and re release the game in ~6months from now, finished.

They city does look and feel really atmospheric at night and in the rain.

However, the weather effects, including variations and transitions are rough. Modded Skyrim has more interesting weather and can come close in terms of looks with the right ENB, minus the neon of course.

The way volumetric clouds pop in and out is particularly disconcerting.

I agree about the rain especially. It looks fine in the few instances where you're in a car and it's scripted to fall on the windshield, but it looks downright awful when you're out and about and it randomly starts raining. It really does look like a bunch of 2D "sheets" that are falling, and it also has zero interactivity with objects. No puddles, no splashes, and it doesn't even get deflected by anything either.

The more I play and then go back and watch previews... seriously it's bad.

Sure, it might be worse by comparison, but you shouldn't need to compare it to see how bad it is on its own. Our only hope is that CDPR was serious when they said that they needed to get the trust of the gamer back, and were not strictly speaking about the botched last gen console versions, but instead are also considering the game itself and the huge lack of features coupled with the problems it currently has.

I agree about the rain especially. It looks fine in the few instances where you're in a car and it's scripted to fall on the windshield, but it looks downright awful when you're out and about and it randomly starts raining. It really does look like a bunch of 2D "sheets" that are falling, and it also has zero interactivity with objects. No puddles, no splashes, and it doesn't even get deflected by anything either.

Sure, it might be worse by comparison, but you shouldn't need to compare it to see how bad it is on its own. Our only hope is that CDPR was serious when they said that they needed to get the trust of the gamer back, and were not strictly speaking about the botched last gen console versions, but instead are also considering the game itself and the huge lack of features coupled with the problems it currently has.

i just hope they actually fix and make the game amazing. I've been burned too many times by believing game dev studios saying that they will fix their game and not give up but then they give up half way and leave the biggest issues unresolved. That's obviously not the actual developers fault but the decisions that the higher ups make, who ironically are usually the ones who make the promises in the first place

Yeah the weather doesn't change much and its usually the same weather and its making game boring i hope they fix it with the patch soon

I find the effects are stunning in appearance, but the way weather phases in and out is really basic and lacks substance... Much prefer how weather is handled in Zelda Botw
Post automatically merged:

I think what we have right now is the MVP, the (minimum viable product) which is playable and has most features, but seems they have rounded off the edges to get the game out fast or have been pressured by publishers and investors. I'd imagine if we just give CDPR a chance they can add the missing features to the game, no biggy... Not like developers can't iterate and keep improving the game, when others mention that 'It can't be saved', is false and discouraging because the core game is better than other games i've played in memory... We should be supporting the devs not demotivating them...

Last edited:
Yeah.. after fixing everything... Make act 1 not a disaster. People are skipping act one cause they made it horribly... after everything maybe fix the weather :D

Be thankful you're getting moisture.

In my latest playthrough - a severe drought has hit night city.

It's been weeks without rain, nothing but blue skies and light clouds.

Honestly i got a reshader mod and the game looks absolutely amazing now. Steady 60fps at 2K with all settings on ultra/psycho

I think the standard cyberpunk pastel shader is terrible and really diminishes the games visuals

Top Bottom