The Rain and Weather effects need an overhaul.

+
The cyberpunk/neon city aesthetic is really immersive with rain. I know that the game has more important issues atm but here are some improvements that i think the game's rain effects need.

• the rain in the distance needs to not look so 2d as atm it looks like there's a filter over your screen and it looks like its running at 20fps

• Actually be able to see rain drops up close because atm you cant
    • you cant see rain drops break when they hit a surface such as the road, various objects, the player model and npc's
    • there are barley any puddles that show rain drops hitting them.

• water running down gutters

• Having variation in rain and wind would also be great.
    • i.e heavy rain, light rain, low winds, high winds. Transition's between the various effects.

• The a.i. reacting to these various weather effects would also be great. Especially when the extremely rare occurrence of acid rain happens.

What i will say that looks good is when driving fast in 3rd person at certain angles it looks good.

Games that have great rain and weather effects (for reference)

Most Titles using Cryengine
  • Crysis 3 - Cryengine 3 (probably the best)
  • Sniper ghost warrior 3 - Cryengine
  • homefront the revolution - Cryengine
  • Miscreated - Cryengine
  • Kingdom come deliverance -Cryengine
The Cryengine gives Great rain and weather effects right out of the box.

• Battlefield series - Frostbite
  • Dying light - chrome engine 6
  • Mafia 3 - Illusion engine
  • Batman: Arkham Knight - Unreal engine 3
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 - RAGE engine
  • Driveclub - Driveclub engine
  • Metro series - 4A Engine
  • outlast 2 - Unreal Engine 3

Video Examples

That concludes it for now but just imagine this game the rain from Crysis 3 or the Blade Runner movies.
Just played last week some Crysis 3 and was amazed how the game look at 4k in that first chapter with the rain. Holly Molly.
Then i tried to run Cyberpunk 2077 at 4k to make a comparison. Was shocked of how blurry, grainy, hazy it was, how bad it looked in comparison with Crysis 3 with textures not loading.

Crysis 3 4k:

Cyberpunk 4k:

Imagine Crysis 3 with Raytracing.
Would embarrass this joke of a game.

The presentation, visually without raytracing its bad.
The weather is a joke in Cyberpunk.
The AI is a joke.
What'up with the water? It looks awful.
Clothing selection and customization of appearance is a joke comparing with Saint Row.
The shooting is clunky. Rage 2 humiliates this game and its a mediocre game.
The looter shooter mechanics bores me. You change your items more often then you blink.
The rpg elements are either weak or non-existent(customization, open world activities-minigames, the dialogue choices are sparse, not nearly as diverse as options in Fallout: New Vegas which was made in 18 months). (cough changing the game to action adventure)
Interaction with the world is a joke. You can't even sit down. I could sit down in Gothic 2. Go to a hooker, drink in bar, pickpocket anyone, beat anyone and steal their stuff. NPC's would react to me sneaking, going in their houses, wearing different armors, and so one in 2002. We are now in 2021.
Laughfable.

Last edited:
i know this has been said a million times but everything in this game needs an overhaul. Its a shame that the designers, programmers, producers etc didn't get the time they needed to achieve their vision. We can only hope that the heads of cdpr will allow them to give us

Hi, I agree whit suggestion that water and rain effects could be improved to be more realistic.

One thing from me, I would really love some water drops effect on the screen. Just few water drops effect during the rain. Maybe just when you looking up to not block view of the player. And let lights from neons and sun reflect in these water drops. I think it would look really good and fit the estethic of the game well.

Anyway I enjoyed playing the game very much. It have some issues, they are addressed everywhere but the world atmospher, design, visuals, music, characters and stories its so imersive and well done. I am excited to play it again second time but I will wait a little to be more polished. :)

Thanks for the Experience Guys! Never Fade Away. (y)

Last edited:
Well, its hard to belive that the weather in a dystopic future is allways sunny and shiny.

It has to be dark, foggy, cloudy .. the sun shold only produce some god rays shortly, before the next acid rain falls down.

But what we have is sunshine and happy faces everywhere :rolleyes:

The Idea: @CDPR: please make some weather layers, witch can be adjusted in the settings - so everyone could play CP2077 with his own mood of weather settings :)

Last edited:
Is this a console issue? I'm on PC and you get
Acid rain, rain, overcast, foggy, and sunny, smoggy and sunny.

However, rain effects as in the droplets only have about maybe a 5% chance of appearing.
This is why roads appear wet and shiny sometimes yet there's no rain or has it rained. Jokes on you
it just rained lol. Hope they fixed this in the 1.2 patch.

The rain and other weather like dust storms only occur when a main story requires it and then it lingers for a bit after. It should be randomly generated, and it should have an effect on the game.

photomode_09022021_114209.png

Let's be honest here, the game is half assed/rushed under MANY aspects...
Still hoping in a prominent overhaul over time!

The rain effects feel rushed in at the last minute of development. Definitely needs overhaul. Like the OP said, it currently looks like a 2D filter. We need to see wind and rain and variations, sometimes rain, no wind, sometimes rain, heavy wind, light wind, etc. How are games over a decade old beating this in terms of rain effects. It also needs to rain much more often. There does seem to be a bug as someone pointed out, the roads look shiny as though it rained, but there was no rain. It may have been intentional though. Roads look shiny at night like 90% of the time for me, even though it didn't rain. I think a good ratio would be rain 70%, acid rain 5%, fog 5%, sunshine 20%, with intensity of wind being an added variable during each of those. Would also like to see NPC pull out umbrellas during rain. Breaks immersion to see so many people walking in the rain without umbrella.

Be happy that CDPR didn't chose to make rain like Bethesda did in Fallout 4. When it rains everything is covered in a plastic filter, no matter if you're outside or inside.

I definitely agree with you. Good rain effects will most certainly help with the nighttime 'neo-noir' aesthetic. Though unfortunately it seems that they were trying to make Night City more of a sunny Californian type city, similar to GTA V's Los Santos rather than the Blade Runner dystopian Los Angeles. But with such a rushed development it makes sense only to have very basic rain effects implemented, so hopefully it is something that can be worked on in the future with the next-gen upgrade.

i just think it was a missed opportunity. Especially since blade runner is such a massive influence on this ip.
almost every aspect of this game is a missed opportunity and a shameful waste. And more I re-watch old trailers and promo, more my anger and disappointment rise. A bad joke. Plus they asked us for "trust", to be patient. Now, after almost a year I saw poor results if not even worsed aspects compared to the game at launch (graphics)
Post automatically merged:

Let's be honest here, the game is half assed/rushed under MANY aspects...
Still hoping in a prominent overhaul over time!

in Italy we have a saying: "chi visse sperando morì cagando" (google translator is your friend XD)
Post automatically merged:

people forget that Night City is in CALIFORNIA. How much and how often does it rain there now? Compare it to 2077 after wars and climate change.
and you forget that the game it's setted in a future where the ecosystem and clima have been ripped apart from mankind

Last edited:
Top Bottom