The Ranking System and its Shortcomings (MMR/ELO/Rating)

+
Rank broken?

I lost -85 mmr twice now and gained +1 and +2 twice tonight. I was 1 game away from hitting rank 13, now I dropped to 3000 mmr and it's bullshit. How is this fair at all? I've never had this before even at this high rank, at most I'd lose 65 if I lost, it would range between 30 to 65 most of the time, tonight I lost 2 games and dropped almost 200 points, won 2 games and gained 3. This is beyond stupid.

I get facing higher players should give you more points and all that but this is way too much. Not even worth playing ranked in this state.

JustinBB7, it's "OK" situation
Happens with all of us
Since you got about 3250 - there were not much opponents of your rank (about 500, I guess)
Now devide it on 24 hours * 60 minutes (since matchmaking can search about minute, and you need "free" opponent, who is looking for the match too)

Best advice - try to play in different time per Monday-Friday, find the time, when many Eu players online (better time - evening, when everybody comes from thier jobs) and try your luck

Otherwise - it's a dead end

It's not right though and should be fixed.
Gwent is a card game and there is a bit of luck involved. A high level player can easily lose from a lower level player cause of bad luck. Also playing a meta deck can be a bit harder against a lower level player.
Current ranking system is punishing high ranked players for even playing against a lower ranked player giving no ranked points for a victory and a huge penalty when lost. Even i've you're winrate is 90% against low level players, you lose rank in the long run. Players react to this by getting out of the queue after 20-30 sec to prevent being matched against a lower ranked player, this is boring but the only way to achieve a high rank in the top 100. (canceling queueing should be banned anyway imho cause you can manipulate you're rank with it)

Last edited:
Yea guess I should use the 30 seconds trick now. My winrate is still high, but if I only get 2 points and win and lose 80 everytime I'll just rank down hard constantly. Completely broken.

Yesterday butchered my MMR as well... I was around position 1,100 on the leaderboard and got hammered all the way down to 3,200. I've never dipped below 1,400 any time in the last 3 weeks and suddenly all the games were against me (who I was being matched with). The ranks/leaderboard should be reset in a few more days though so I guess I'll just suck it up.

It seems that many people who achieved a high rank of some sort stopped playing ranks before the patch and there is now really few people in the queue there. Hence the problem with matching equally ranked opponents. I strongly agree that it is utterly and clearly unfair to lose that much MMR because of a lower ranked player especially because IT IS A GAME OF CARDS AFTER ALL. It is not some kind of a FPS or MOBA game where you can absolutely outskill your opponent - the draw you can get and the number of budget decks that can get surprisingly high numbers are big and you shouldn't be punished for it. The MMR gain/lose correction should be applied but imho it should not excess +- 25/75 for lower/higher opponnent. Taht said, I'm also salty because I myself lost 250 MMR by winning 8 games and losing 5.

It's the loss of playerbase because of the patch.

You see a similar thing in casual; Longer que times, hardly any low level players and mostly only "meta" decks.

It should stabilize again next week.

Ranked MMR

Why do we loose MMR in ranked gaming when the match is a tie/draw?
Secondly this has happened three times already.. I lost like 10 mmr when the match was interrupted due to server issues. This has happened thrice!! Why do I have to loose mmr if its the Game's/ Client's fault.

It's a beta, you have to be prepared for server issues sometimes, happens to us all.

As as to loosing MMR when your draw. It's simply because each person has a different MMR to begin with.

The player who has higher MMR, 'should' win the match. (and so you loose rating if you draw with somebody of lower MMR)
The player who has lower MMR should loose the match (and so they will gain points if they draw with somebody of higher MMR)
which closes the gap between the players.

Lim3zer0;n7697460 said:
It's a beta, you have to be prepared for server issues sometimes, happens to us all.

As as to loosing MMR when your draw. It's simply because each person has a different MMR to begin with.

The player who has higher MMR, 'should' win the match. (and so you loose rating if you draw with somebody of lower MMR)
The player who has lower MMR should loose the match (and so they will gain points if they draw with somebody of higher MMR)
which closes the gap between the players.

i understand its beta.. but cutting mmr for server issues isnt fair..
i can understand the mmr reduction in draw

How is the game supposed to know it's a server problem and not a client problem? It cannot know whether your client gets disconnected because of a bug or because you pulled the cable, so it's sensible for you to lose points.
Hopefully, disconnect bugs like this should be fixed by the end of the beta.

MMR calculations

Are there rules for mmr gain/loss calculation available somewhere? It seems quite odd to me, just now I have won a game against lvl 13 player (me being 12) and was awarded with 26 rating while some time ago I lost to a player with higher rank and lost certainly more than 50 (don't remember exact number). Is someone else having strange feelings about mmr calculations or it's just me?

/E Yeah, -56 loss to rank 13 now...

Last edited:
MMR gain/loss depends on MMR difference, not on rank as such. Higher rank player might have had a bad spell lately and thus might have significantly lower MMR than you.

About the formula - I think the gain/loss changes by 1 point per every 8 points of MMR difference between the players. Shouldn't be difficult to check: you note your MMR, play the game, note how much you gained/lost, find your opponent on the ranking list, note his MMR after the game, calculate his MMR before the game (presumably he lost/gained as much as you gained/lost), and you obtain another point of the data.

rams142857;n7723100 said:
MMR gain/loss depends on MMR difference, not on rank as such. Higher rank player might have had a bad spell lately and thus might have significantly lower MMR than you.
Hmm yeah I haven't taken that into account, thanks for reminder.

LDiCesare;n7721590 said:
How is the game supposed to know it's a server problem and not a client problem? It cannot know whether your client gets disconnected because of a bug or because you pulled the cable, so it's sensible for you to lose points.
Hopefully, disconnect bugs like this should be fixed by the end of the beta.

cuz when the match gets interrrupted it shows crashed due to server problems.
and if a player pulls the cable it shows opponent has lost connection and u win the game

Questions about matchmaking

How does it works?I am lvl 63 rank 12,i keep getting same opponents.
And im watching sometimes streams from merchant KBT ,they are higher rank but lower level and they get opponents names i never seen.

As far as I understand it, it depends on the MMR (was that the right term? The balance of points shown after every match) and not level or rank. So if you are at 4000 points, you will get opponents with similar points. And the air is getting thinner the higher you are (not as many worthy opponents as in lower mmr).

If KBP is matched with opponents of lower level it could be because he lost a lot of games after reaching rank 13 or else and so lost a lot of mmr points.

Rank Scoring

I know this is probably a repeat but the search function in the forum sucks.

Can someone explain why I only get about 20 points when defeating someone who has 2 ranks above me and a couple levels below but when I lose against the same person I drop about 60 points?

I was at level 45 with a rank of 11 playing someone at level 39 at rank 13.

Shouldn't the rank be more important since it represents wins versus level which only represent number of games played?

What boggled me was defeating some at level 54 with a rank of 14 to only gain about 30 points (8 levels and 3 ranks up on me)

MMR is what counts. You can lose a lot 1000 MMR points but you'll still have the same rank. So probably this opponent, even though higher in rank, was actually lower in MMR. That's why you lost more points then you could win.

How many point you gain or loose has nothing to do with rank or level, only with current MMR of your opponent, which could be much lower than his current rank suggest, because you can loose MMR, but you can't loose rank.I suggest instaling Gwent tracker, which also shows your opponent MMR.

Top Bottom