The Ranking System and its Shortcomings (MMR/ELO/Rating)

+
Of course not. I wait until my opponent played Morkvarg and Olgierd, pumped them a bit with mushrooms - then play Letho and take all that power back to my side. Veeery satisfying.

Madras_Pfeffer;n7936340 said:
Of course not. I wait until my opponent played Morkvarg and Olgierd, pumped them a bit with mushrooms - then play Letho and take all that power back to my side. Veeery satisfying.

Yeah, NG is a very good counter against SK. Medics provide great value by stealing Queen's guards too.

Btw, what rank are you now? Everyone is saying NG is the weakest faction, but it seems you are doing fine with it.

Why loose ranking points for a draw?

Just played a great round with someone in a ranked match and we came to a draw. This was my first draw but I was surprised you loose ranking points for drawing? I could understand no points being awarded for a draw but deducting points for a draw seems odd - any-thoughts?

It is to do with whoever has the higher MMR

If you draw with somebody of lower MMR you loose points because you 'should' have won the match, and visa-versa therefore your opponent will have gained points because they drew with you.

Above answer is the correct explanation. However I encountered the same situation and was quite disappointed by losing some points.
I would actually prefer if the progress system would be simpler/easier to understand.
Alternative systems as HS or ESL have of course the issue of not rewarding you, if you win vs a much higher MMR player, but unless big MMR differences are common, I would still prefer that.
What really annoys me is that I have no clue how often I have to win to achieve the next rank, bc I have received scores between 26 and 74 for winning. And without proper explanation of how the system works and since apparently there's some sort of bonus points added to an undisclosed rank level, I only know until after the match...

Ranked Matchmaking sux hard

Right now:
im lvl 12 rank 3 MMR 950 vs lvl 22 rank 4 MMR (more than 1200)
sounds legit. How can deck with 1 gold card be competitive with deck with 3+ golds? (at least thats what he used)
I was thinking ranks are there for reason. Guess not.

btw thats not 1st time i was matched with higher rank.

Last edited:
If you know what you're doing better than your opponent, you can beat a deck with 4 gold legendaries with only bronze and silvers. Just sequence your plays better than your opponent's

Saphirro;n8091240 said:
Right now:
sounds legit. How can deck with 1 gold card be competitive with deck with 3+ golds? (at least thats what he used)

You get that matchup because the sorry dude lost many games in a row and ended up with a rank 3 mmr. You cannot lose ranks, but you will lose mmr and the matchmaking system queue you based on the mmr and NOT based on the rank (which is the correct way to go imho).

Saphirro;n8091240 said:
Right now:

Just mill decks your are no using and buy some cheap golds......you will get milled bronze units back from kegs later.

JoachimDeWett;n8097160 said:
If you know what you're doing better than your opponent, you can beat a deck with 4 gold legendaries with only bronze and silvers. Just sequence your plays better than your opponent's

If enemy use Hymdall(or whats its name) with that golden bird which destroy all your side its nothing much you can do. Its not that simple to beat that while you have half of yours cards on the field.

DMaster2;n8097330 said:
You get that matchup because the sorry dude lost many games in a row and ended up with a rank 3 mmr. You cannot lose ranks, but you will lose mmr and the matchmaking system queue you based on the mmr and NOT based on the rank (which is the correct way to go imho).

So the system instead of showing rank should show current MMR. Its confusing and not explained anywhere.

St.Methodius;n8098370 said:
Just mill decks your are no using and buy some cheap golds......you will get milled bronze units back from kegs later.

i did that to get 6 silvers. I got 2 silvers in all kegs and not a single gold card. Not to mention i get bronze 90% of times for other factions(like last time 4x monster card... gg) so i was forced to craft bronze for my faction. Now i have ~500 scraps and waiting for strong gold one.

Saphirro;n8099050 said:
If enemy use Hymdall(or whats its name) with that golden bird which destroy all your side its nothing much you can do. Its not that simple to beat that while you have half of yours cards on the field.

So the system instead of showing rank should show current MMR. Its confusing and not explained anywhere.

i did that to get 6 silvers. I got 2 silvers in all kegs and not a single gold card. Not to mention i get bronze 90% of times for other factions(like last time 4x monster card... gg) so i was forced to craft bronze for my faction. Now i have ~500 scraps and waiting for strong gold one.
But your mmr is public, you see it at the end of the game (that number that goes up when you win and goes down when you lose). It's your opponent's mmr that is hidden. Btw you have no business knowing which mmr he is (hint: downloading a deck tracker will show it to you tho), all you need to know is that if you face him in ranked it means you two share (more or less) the same mmr.

Saphirro;n8099050 said:

But your mmr is public, you see it at the end of the game (that number that goes up when you win and goes down when you lose). It's your opponent's mmr that is hidden. Btw you have no business knowing which mmr he is (hint: downloading a deck tracker will show it to you tho), all you need to know is that if you face him in ranked it means you two share (more or less) the same mmr.

so you need 3rd party software? sound pretty interesting. If its hidden then you should have no way to find it. Same goes for your cards they are hidden but what if 3rd party software show them to you? I bet you already have those hacks out.

JoachimDeWett;n8097160 said:

Yea, yea, it's possible, but you are against the odds. It's not like you are playing against silly players all the time. I doubt you can do that most of the time in this scenario.

Saphirro;n8101910 said:
so you need 3rd party software? sound pretty interesting. If its hidden then you should have no way to find it. Same goes for your cards they are hidden but what if 3rd party software show them to you? I bet you already have those hacks out.
Lol no. Decktrackers are tools to track what remain in your deck, matchups, your winrate, banished cards, etc...
It will only show things you can note yourself with pen and paper, and definitely NOT your opponent's cards.

DMaster2;n8103330 said:
Lol no. Decktrackers are tools to track what remain in your deck, matchups, your winrate, banished cards, etc...
It will only show things you can note yourself with pen and paper, and definitely NOT your opponent's cards.

as you said before you can see others MMR which you have no way calculate or write on paper.

Saphirro;n8105280 said:
as you said before you can see others MMR which you have no way calculate or write on paper.

You can see it on the leaderboards. That Gwent Tracker, which CDPR has endorsed, checks leaderboards ongoing is not in any way odious.

Top Bottom