The Ranking System and its Shortcomings (MMR/ELO/Rating)

+
after i reached rank 15 i just started playing fun decks in ranked like mill nilfgaard because casual mode still gets me long queues

dont really think its good when the game forces you to play after achieving a rank you want, if people reaching high rank and stopping to play is a problem then ranked seasons should be shorter or it should be tougher to get higher ranks

also i dont think that a lot of people actually do stop playing after getting rank 15, since you dont visually lose the rank after getting there many just play to enjoy the game and drop to 3k-3.6k MMR playing silly decks like me while others continue tryharding and pushing MMR in leaderboard to new limits

So what do you propose apart from a "different" system? I'm not sure how the ladder culture is pictured by CDPR, but I believe that more regular ladder resets are needed to keep ranked plays interesting in the long run. The way it is now you lose a lot of "appetite" after achieving r15. I would not change the current "you can't lose rank" system since it feels very rewarding and enables you to toy a little more. I would also not recommend a sort of rank decay system that lets you lose mmr over time

HenryGrosmont;n8332060 said:
Dear high rank players. I'm sure you are all familiar with the situation. Let me present it:
If you go lower than 4200 mmr, it's a grind where you drop a lot and jump a little. The problem is that there are more and more rank 15 and those who actually play get punished. I see people just stop playing altogether and sitting there with their higher mmr. Not playing gets rewarded... which shouldn't be the case.
Maybe there should be a slightly different system for higher ranks? Or even just for rank 15?

Your ideas, people?

Would like to see some changes myself. Before the Gwent Open I went to #19 on the leaderboards. A single lost match took me to #42, so as I had a business trip coinciding, I just waited it out so that my spot was guaranteed. I would definitely like the system to receive minor tweaks.

No reward on winning !

Sometimes i get 0 points ( No Change ) after winning in 2 rounds ! Other times i get 2-10points,..
its totaly annoying because when i get defetead i lose 70points...

This happens on the higher ranks (14+), especially when the opponent has a much lower rating (MMR).

Random Matchmaking

What happens to this game? I play against people of less rank, if I win, they give me 0 points, and if I lose, they take me 90 away.
im so tired. :(

Gość

Winner - Looser. You should be able to care.

May I know why am I getting 13 levels - rank 2 and such as my opponents (I am 18 level - rank 9). It is a middle of the day. I am being rewarded with minus points to my score for winning with newcomers. My guess would be that there are no people playing what I would say is unlikely, or rather the matchmaking system is having some issues pairing me properly.

I am playing in order to get my lvl up a little - just to be ready for open beta get my current deck back if possible, however, I am having a stagnancy because of countless minus points being given to me for winning. It feels so unrewarding - Card Kegs for rank feel out of reach for me, probably for many as well... I could just take a break as I am now and still get something once the closed beta ends, but that would pretty disappointing, my gameplay is fine as it is. Why would I accept being at a loss because of something independent from me.

Shall I know if the problem is being adressed, at least, please?

at least 10 would be nice :( .
Also i noticed something even annoying: i had under 4600score and i won 2 times with 30-40points so my score passed 4600 twice, in global ranking remained 4570 !!!

ImLoliLover I feel your pain.

The difference between your MMR (which isn't the same as your rank) and the opponent's MMR is what determines your gain/lose in points. If a lower ranked opponent wins from you, the penalty is greater. That's how the MMR/ELO system works. I think it's pretty flawed and unjustly punishes you. Just because the opponent is of lower rank, doesn't mean he is less experienced and vice versa. I rather always face opponents of higher rank just so I can gain more points (and lose less).

Last edited:
The Ranking System and its Shortcomings (MMR/ELO/Rating)

A sudden influx of varies threads about the same topic. Time to wave my magical merging wand.

Please continue the discussion here.

OMG, now i reached 4656points but in global ranking i have 4615 ...

Attachments

• gw2.jpg
    gw2.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 72
  • gw.png.jpg
    gw.png.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 77
Pruny;n8396660 said:
OMG, now i reached 4656points but in global ranking i have 4615 ...

Probably still needs time to update. Also, when playing on 4.5k+ ranking, losing does hurt a lot. It gets exponentially worse.

PS. Someone has been busy, I see.

What is the point of playing after rank 15 now? Is there a unique season reward like an animated legendary of your choice or something? Or maybe there are tournaments specifically for high ranked people from ladder? Gladiator title?

Ranked Matches

I am a 7th tier, leven 17. Somehow the matching system thinks I should be taking on 9th tier level 27 players, which I don't mind, but what I do mind is the Ranking points system.
when I lose against that player I lose a considerable amount of RP, but if I win I only gain a small amount of RP.
Like I said I don't mind the challenge but I think there should be some kind of risk\reward system that makes losing less painful and winning more rewarding. This should only be in place if the opponent is a higher tier and or at the least 5 levels above.
If this has been brought up before sorry, if not hopefully someone can pass the word along to the powers that be.

It's all based off of your mmr. If you beat someone ranked higher you gain more and vise versa. You will also see the system takes into account where it thinks you should be. If you have a 60% win rate and drop a game to someone lower than you it will hurt a lot less than if you have a 40% win rate.

I am not sure how they are calculating MMR but that isn't what needs to be changed. What needs to be changed is the ratio they add and subtract Ranking points after the match.
Perfect example just happened: 9th Tier Level 29 vs. me 7th tier Level 18. So I lost one round he won 2. When I get to ranking point distribution screen I lost 72 pts?
I admit I should lose something but I think the ratio should factor in his tier rank and level and vice versa if I would have won I should got a larger amount of ranking points than i would if I was facing someone who was the same tier and rank as I am.
Like I said I don't mind losing to someone better than me, I just don't like losing very, very hard earned Ranking points.

You can play against opponent 5 tiers higher, but he still may be way below you in MMR points, since dropping below tier threshold doesn't revert you to previous rank. Thus, facing an opponent of higher tier than you often means that he has ~same MMR as you do, but not always. Now, if you encounter an opponent of several tiers lower, and you know your current MMR is a couple hundred points higher... that's the game you don't want to loose.

Top Bottom