The Ranking System and its Shortcomings (MMR/ELO/Rating)

+
MMR and level are not used in casual matches. Instead, it uses a hidden calculation similar to MMR, but with different values. Besides, it's very well possible some of the better players go back to casual to test out a new deck.

Hunter_Butcher;n9130910 said:
I matched a player which is MMR about 2000 in a casual match, I'm about 2200. so the question is: why he ranks 691st but I'm in 50k ? is it a glitch or other things?

Ranked and casual games have separate MMR values. :)

No it doesn't benefit people that enjoy ladder and want mmr to mean something. Which is whole point of ranked play in first place.
It benefits people only in terms of rewards.

The ranking system barely displays your skill level atm, hopefully they'll fix that because thats what ranked is about.

rctboy95;n9171210 said:
The ranking system barely displays your skill level atm, hopefully they'll fix that because thats what ranked is about.
I don't know about that. There are ways to figure out if a person has been very successful.

If a person is level 14 and rank 13, you know that they know what they're doing and have been very successful so far. If a person is level 38 and rank 14, it's less clear: (1) they might know what they're doing and just playing a lot of casual, (2) they might not know what they're doing (no offense meant to the hypothetical person), (3) they might just be willing to experiment more than most in ranked. You cannot definitively say why they have the disparity ... but I do know that when I seem someone whose rank is close to their level ... I know I'm in for a fight.

Now this system becomes less common as you reach higher levels. But when your up 4000 mmr+ ... most people have a good idea of what they're doing it appears (I wouldn't know first hand as I'm not there).

Also, you can always let your play show your skill. Nothing better than beating somebody whose rank is higher than yours.

Rawls;n9171580 said:
I don't know about that. There are ways to figure out if a person has been very successful.

If a person is level 14 and rank 13, you know that they know what they're doing and have been very successful so far. If a person is level 38 and rank 14, it's less clear: (1) they might know what they're doing and just playing a lot of casual, (2) they might not know what they're doing (no offense meant to the hypothetical person), (3) they might just be willing to experiment more than most in ranked. You cannot definitively say why they have the disparity ... but I do know that when I seem someone whose rank is close to their level ... I know I'm in for a fight.

Now this system becomes less common as you reach higher levels. But when your up 4000 mmr+ ... most people have a good idea of what they're doing it appears (I wouldn't know first hand as I'm not there).

Also, you can always let your play show your skill. Nothing better than beating somebody whose rank is higher than yours.

Thats how it's supposed to work but all i see are the same decks being played, close to perfect since the meta decks arent "difficult" so the rng takes over, like going first or who draws better round 2 and 3.

I'm confident they can fix it and balance gwent more, it's still a beta game.

I myself am level 41 and rank 13/14, just play casual a lot since ranked isn't as fun yet i face many high ranking players in casual so it doesn't really make sense lol.

So, what about a new tournament rating? To play this format you would have to prepare 5 tournament decks. One for every fraction. Before the game you would ban one of opponent decks (fe. Monsters ;) ), your opponent would ban one of yours and then play a game using a random deck of 4 avaliable. Why random not chosen? Mostly to awoid having only two strong decks, but also to force you this way to play all fractions and evolve your skills in Gwent. At the end of a season players who would be high in this rating could advance to some major tournament with rewards and glory for being a tournament champ. Lets sey Top1024 players would play 1-1024, 2-1023, 3-1022, and so on. IMO this could be fun and entertaining, also if you are bored of some ladder meta decks you could ban them to not face them in this format.

I am a fan of a bit more varied quest system - like play x times with given leader in ranked for given reward. That would make the game much more varied. Also, would be great to introduce some fully prepared competitive decks (say 20 of them). Make one of those randomly available to each player (different deck for each player each day, so we have all 20 in play everyday), ask them to play with it x time in ranked for a reward. Would lead to a much more varied game at lower ranked play, which would be more enjoyable. And at top ranked, in the top 1000, well, things will be more competitive - perhaps those quests should be then different. Still playing x games with given faction (if not given leader) seems like an interesting choice even at very high ranks...

As for tournaments, some open for all tournaments should be included in the game client, would help the game a great deal...

MMR from Rank Difference

So this is getting annoying. I keep get matched up vs people with lower MMR and end up loosing way more than I manage to win. Doesn't matter that I got a positive winrate I'm slowly losing MMR.

And this is around 4k MMR.

There got that of my chest.

Exoclyps;n9557731 said:
So this is getting annoying. I keep get matched up vs people with lower MMR and end up loosing way more than I manage to win. Doesn't matter that I got a positive winrate I'm slowly losing MMR.

And this is around 4k MMR.

There got that of my chest.

Yup. And this time, it's ususally taking less than 10 sec to get that.

Ildun

Moved your post over to a different thread better suited to discuss this. The simple answer is: because your MMR was higher than your opponent's.

Stop losing mmrp for draws

Smh. It doesn’t make sense that I drop in rank points when I didn’t even lose.

At least don’t change the points at all for draws. But a drop just makes me feel like I’m wasting my time. (I didn’t lose!!!)

lemonsplitter;n9875181 said:
Smh. It doesn’t make sense that I drop in rank points when I didn’t even lose.

At least don’t change the points at all for draws. But a drop just makes me feel like I’m wasting my time. (I didn’t lose!!!)

I can see how this may be frustrating but at the same time it kind of makes sense that you lose points, when drawing against an opponent with lower MMR.

That being said, I wouldn't mind at all if draws didn't have any negative consequences. From a psychological point of view it might be more healthy.

What about an evenly matched mmrp opp with a much higher level? Smh. No one should not be dropping over that.

In casual a draw means both are closer to getting a keg. It’s a dual victory. But in ranked dual crown points still mean a loss? No d way that makes sense.

lemonsplitter thread merged

When the game is a draw, the person with the lowest MMR will gain a little bit and the one with the highest MMR will lose a bit. That's how MMR works. Imagine racing Usain Bolt and attaining the same time, that would count as a lose for Usain.

Top Bottom