The Ranking System and its Shortcomings (MMR/ELO/Rating)

+
If you’re trying to make my suggestions seem unwelcome here, congratulations, you’ve done it. I l can just stick with support tickets from now on then.

lemonsplitter;n9875651 said:
If you’re trying to make my suggestions seem unwelcome here, congratulations, you’ve done it. I l can just stick with support tickets from now on then.

It was not my intent to make your suggestion feel unwelcome. I am unsure as to what gave you that idea. Is it because I've merged the thread? Or because I gave a straightforward answer? For the former, the suggestion has been made a few times already, hence the merger. It doesn't mean the suggestion is less welcome, but it would be nice to keep it in one place. For the latter, that's to clarify how it is and why it works like that. Casual and ranked are not the same and shouldn't be compared with each other, in this case. Regardless, you can always directly contact support, if you want to submit a suggestion.

Exploit?

It is already second time I encounter this.

A win in ranked against a +1 rank opponent is usually giving around 50 MMR points. When I was playing the last card, Freya and looking to the graveyard to resurrect a unit, becoming clear last round is mine, I suddenly got that message that my opponent lost connection and was forced to forfeit. The result was that I got only 30 MMR, less than I would have received if played against a same rank opponent.

Stormbuster

You have to look at the opponent's MMR in order to extrapolate how many points you'll gain (or lose). If the opponent lost a series of matches, then the rank isn't a good indication.

4RM3D;n9964691 said:
Stormbuster

You have to look at the opponent's MMR in order to extrapolate how many points you'll gain (or lose). If the opponent lost a series of matches, then the rank isn't a good indication.

I don't get it...which is the connection between how many games he lost and the points I am supposed to get against this particular opponent having a higher rank and MMR then me?????

Stormbuster;n9964751 said:
I don't get it...which is the connection between how many games he lost and the points I am supposed to get against this particular opponent having a higher rank and MMR then me?????

The connection is that the points you will get from winning are not calculated by the rank that is written near his name(i.e. 10,11,19,20..), but his MMR. Now, unless you have a tracker installed your opponent's MMR is not visible to you, but basically those are the same points you will see next to people when you check out the leaderboard.

the game compares your current MMR to your opponents and based on the current difference gives or takes your ranking points accordingly...

Stormbuster;n9964751 said:

Having a higher rank, doesn't necessarily mean that this opponent also has a better MMR. For example you could lose 1000mmr after a bad streak but that has no consequences for the rank.

If you play against a rank 20 person with the MMR 3500, basically you will get the amount of points you'd get for beating a MMR 3500 person.

MMR gain and loose

Iam really sorry, but I didnt find it anywhere..
how are MMR point gained and losing?

on lower levels I got 30-50 point for win, and -1 for lost game.. but on rank 16 I got 30-50 points for win, and 15-30 for lost match.. this seems to be unfair distribution.. fot instance, if I play against 5 players and loose all mathes, I can loose up to 150MMR.. but when I win, I can gain only 250 max. its quite difference..

Mashajab thread merged

The whole point of the ladder is that it gets more difficult as you climb the ranks. You should be able to reach rank 18 with only a 50% win-rate. But after that, yeah, you will start losing more than you will gain. That's how the MMR system works in Gwent.

4RM3D;n9966851 said:
Mashajab thread merged

The whole point of the ladder is that it gets more difficult as you climb the ranks. You should be able to reach rank 18 with only a 50% win-rate. But after that, yeah, you will start losing more than you will gain. That's how the MMR system works in Gwent.

Can't be true though?
My thoughts (disregarding opponent's MMR):
MMR below level 18 gives more points for winning then losing.
MMR above level 18 gives equal points for winning and losing.

Still, above 4200 mmr you're more often matched against lower MMR players because of the smaller player base, so you indeed need a slightly higher winrate then 50% to keep you're posistion.

friketje;n9967741 said:
Still, above 4200 mmr you're more often matched against lower MMR players because of the smaller player base, so you indeed need a slightly higher winrate then 50% to keep you're posistion.

That's actually more of an issue with the MMR system. I actually rather face stronger opponents in order to win more (or lose less) because that one rank doesn't really make that much difference in terms of the skill of the player.

This might be a little off topic or might be just me, but sometimes I click on threads to read and find myself confused, like in this one. Then I look at the date of the post and find it's old and doesn't pertain to the current state of the game. Merging new threads with old ones isn't really helpful. Or then again maybe it doesn't matter like most forums because you are talking to a wall, if you know what I mean.

Kinglionsfox

It depends on whether or not the subject is meta-dependent. The ranking system pertains to Gwent in general and hasn't really changed since it's inception, meaning the old discussion is still valid. On the opposite, you have threads that talk about Weather in Gwent, for example. Even though there are like 10 different threads out there that all start with "Nerf Weather", each thread takes place in a different meta, leading to different discussions. Merging those would become messy.

I hate when someone with a top 500 border, who decided for some reason to klimb rank is behind me, I lose and I lose loads of points because he was behind me this season... Also beat a similar player, hoped I will win a lot, nope, he was behind me, so around 30 points... and that was back around rank 15. It should take into consideration the highest achieved MMR too I think.

dgabor82;n9991721 said:
It should take into consideration the highest achieved MMR too I think.

What if someone achieved let's say 4k MMR during season 1, but hasn't played for several months? The meta changes a lot after every patch, so having achieved a high MMR value in the past doesn't necessarily mean anything in the present day as there's always learning to be done with new and/or changed cards.

I think we just need a steady income of MMR and steady lose of it. It is just preposterous some times, like, gaining 11 when you constantly lose around 20.

I mean, WTF?!?

Steady income as same for all ranks or same win/loss regardless if your opponent is 50mmr +/- from you...?

Steady for the different Ranks will be perfectly fine, as the opponent's MMR has nothing to do with how good he actually is or what card you or him had draw during that game. It's enough that getting to 20/21 is just ridiculously hard to add more insult when you need 12 points to get 11, while if you lose you lose 20+.

Top Bottom