The role of Kaer Morhen and Vesemir in the Witcher 3

+
I think the game will start with a flashback to Geralt training with Ciri in Kaer Morhen. It's gonna be something like this:

Ciri wakes Geralt very early and ask him for some additional practice, before she start another training with Lambert, who is not as forgiving as Geralt. He agrees and then they go outside to practice some fighting moves. She get hurt, so he make her a medicine that let her heal faster, as she's to eager to skip any lesson (introduction of alchemy). After that they talk about her dreams with burning Cintra and her role as Geralt's destiny (you know, introduction for a players who didn't read the novels). Then Vesemir came by and ask Geralt that if he's already awake, he can go and hunt something, because they're short on food supplies.

Geralt goes to the local forest, in which we learn how to use witcher senses, track and hunt monsters by hunting deer or some other animal. Right after that Geralt find a monster lair nearby and decide to get rid of him. This way we find out more about preparations and also how to use this skill with hitting specific part of the monster. Then he head back to the Kaer Morhen. After everything is over he finally use meditation to get some rest.

When he wake up we've got this scene mentioned in the books, when Ciri get back from the training and drinks White Gull (if I remember right). In the original she start rambling about something, that witchers can't understand, but as it turns out it's actually foreshadowing of The Witcher 3 plot.

Flashback ends and we cut to the depressed Geralt, who was unable to reach Nilfgaard, because of the war and winter or simply was unable to find Yennefer trace. He spends the winter in Kaer Morhen without any knowledge what to do. Then suddenly he's approached by a mysterious rider...

guipit said:

I am pretty sure Kaer Mohren will be in W3 because of this artwork.

It's Triss's room from W1's prologue.

also it looks like Salamandra is at it again.

found the art here http://www.creativeuncut.com/art_the-witcher-3-wild-hunt_a.html

If Salamandra is back, I'd take pleasure in kicking their asses again. I remember the scent of incense quest I killed everyone in the cave because they were probably working with Salamandra.

I dislike the idea of returning to Kaer Morhen. It's simply irrational, as living in Kaer Morhen has only disadvantages. The only reasons that kept them from leaving that place were mutagens (and equipment for doing mutations) and Leo's training. As Azar and his lackeys attacked, they took mutagens, equipment and professor killed Leo.
That place is far too large to be inhabited by handful of people, they would have problems even with guarding gates. It's far too away from civilization, in the middle of nowhere. Walls are crumbled and unstable, the castle has to be unhabitable in winters.
Geralt himself said that war is kinda good for witchers, as every man is in army and there are only women, children and cripples in villages. They can't protect themselves or their closest, so they have to pay for protection.
Also, don't forget that battlegrounds are full of necrophages, wraiths and similar monsters.
Those are main reasons why won't witchers return to KM in close future.

Btw: i doubt that Geralt would travel north to KM after discovering informations about Yen being in Nilfgaard. Even if he couldn't go directly south, he would find a way eventually.

Sorry for my grammar mistakes and poor language. Thanks:)

emperorzorn said:
Viridiane also did voice work for Falskaar. :)/>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20RnjAUhnm0

Here is her demo reel, I think she's pretty good.

I have to say that she would be a great Ciri :p

wojto16 said:
I think the game will start with a flashback to Geralt training with Ciri in Kaer Morhen. It's gonna be something like this:

Ciri wakes Geralt very early and ask him for some additional practice, before she start another training with Lambert, who is not as forgiving as Geralt. He agrees and then they go outside to practice some fighting moves. She get hurt, so he make her a medicine that let her heal faster, as she's to eager to skip any lesson (introduction of alchemy). After that they talk about her dreams with burning Cintra and her role as Geralt's destiny (you know, introduction for a players who didn't read the novels). Then Vesemir came by and ask Geralt that if he's already awake, he can go and hunt something, because they're short on food supplies.

Geralt goes to the local forest, in which we learn how to use witcher senses, track and hunt monsters by hunting deer or some other animal. Right after that Geralt find a monster lair nearby and decide to get rid of him. This way we find out more about preparations and also how to use this skill with hitting specific part of the monster. Then he head back to the Kaer Morhen. After everything is over he finally use meditation to get some rest.

When he wake up we've got this scene mentioned in the books, when Ciri get back from the training and drinks White Gull (if I remember right). In the original she start rambling about something, that witchers can't understand, but as it turns out it's actually foreshadowing of The Witcher 3 plot.

Flashback ends and we cut to the depressed Geralt, who was unable to reach Nilfgaard, because of the war and winter or simply was unable to find Yennefer trace. He spends the winter in Kaer Morhen without any knowledge what to do. Then suddenly he's approached by a mysterious rider...

You should write Thw Witcher 3

Verdade said:
I dislike the idea of returning to Kaer Morhen. It's simply irrational, as living in Kaer Morhen has only disadvantages. The only reasons that kept them from leaving that place were mutagens (and equipment for doing mutations) and Leo's training. As Azar and his lackeys attacked, they took mutagens, equipment and professor killed Leo.
That place is far too large to be inhabited by handful of people, they would have problems even with guarding gates. It's far too away from civilization, in the middle of nowhere. Walls are crumbled and unstable, the castle has to be unhabitable in winters.
Geralt himself said that war is kinda good for witchers, as every man is in army and there are only women, children and cripples in villages. They can't protect themselves or their closest, so they have to pay for protection.
Also, don't forget that battlegrounds are full of necrophages, wraiths and similar monsters.

Btw: i doubt that Geralt would travel north to KM after discovering informations about Yen being in Nilfgaard. Even if he couldn't go directly south, he would find a way eventually.

Sorry for my grammar mistakes and poor language. Thanks:)

Actually, Kaer Morhen is habitable as witchers spend every winter on KM. According to timeline posted on the front page, story of Witcher 2 ended in august and story of Witcher 3 begins in may, so only a month or so after the end of winter. It kinda makes sense that Geralt spent the time between two games, or at least winter on Kaer Morhen together with other witchers.

It also makes sense because in Killing monsters trailer Geralt and Vesemir are together, so maybe they left Kaer Morhen after snows melted and traveled together to no mans land where the trailer presumably takes place.

It makes sense concerning Wild Hunt. They come into TW world in the North, near/at the North Pole, and move always south. Probably that's why Geralt escaped them near Kaer Morhen, soon after they arrived. If Geralt wants to catch up with them early, and he knows that their usual route is near Kaer Morhen, it is perfectly reasonable to go there and wait for their arrival.

Verdade said:

Rational thought, and the place will probably never become what it was with no renegade mages left to supervise the mutagenic enhancements - the trial of the grasses. But Kaer Morhen, however doomed, is still home to those of the Wolf school. Whenever the witchers aren't out on the road doing witcher work, they always return there for the winter months. Always, unless something stop them from doing so.

I felt intrigued but also saddened when walking around the place and listening to Vesemir telling the story of the raid on Kaer Morhen several years before, and how he was the sole survivor(or one of them). The place is a symbol of how it can go when ignorant people are roused by ambitious power players that fear the possible might of an witcher army. Many called it home, and it is still home to the few that are left.

Will Kaer Morhen be in Witcher 3? Don't know, but to discard it as the witcher home saddens me even more. I shudder the thought of devs writing in such a thing. :(

Then again the place is canon lore, and the devs know their witcher lore, so

that from happening. ;)

tirim4 said:
If TW3 get's a vibrant moding scene with many custom adventures I had the idea of having Kaer Morhen as something of a quest hub, so that when you've finished TW3 (which seems likely to be finite, you probably wont be abke to continue playing after that) you could always play Kaer Morhen, a timeless place (or not, depending on the adventure) and start some of the player made quests (which would cover a huge range of what I supose would be player made areas, separate from the Kaer Morhen hub). I would love to have all of theese smaller adventures, kinda like Sapkowski's short stories about Geralt.
That's a pretty cool idea. I approve :)

A hub that all modders use as a starting point, to kind of anchor the player and immerse him in the universe, and then set him out to a village or something to do shit. Yeah. Sounds good to me.

Kaer Morhen may have been the witchers' winter quarters before, but the Prologue of TW1 shows it as taking extensive damage to the point of being undefendable, leading to Vesemir's order to abandon it. A remnant of four witchers could not repair it or gain advantage from sheltering there. (Lambert: "We're not masons.")

I like wojto16's idea of setting a flashback Prologue there, and dragonbird's idea of setting a climax there. Those are appropriate uses for Kaer Morhen. But I think putting it back in a state that was lost in TW1 would be a jarring and needless discontinuity.

GuyN said:
Kaer Morhen may have been the witchers' winter quarters before, but the Prologue of TW1 shows it as taking extensive damage to the point of being undefendable, leading to Vesemir's order to abandon it. A remnant of four witchers could not repair it or gain advantage from sheltering there. (Lambert: "We're not masons.")

I like wojto16's idea of setting a flashback Prologue there, and dragonbird's idea of setting a climax there. Those are appropriate uses for Kaer Morhen. But I think putting it back in a state that was lost in TW1 would be a jarring and needless discontinuity.
The problem is that the Witchers of the North have no other place to spend the winter at, or meet up and so on. If not Kaer Morhen, then there has to be a new hold where they call home and return to in case they get hurt or to spend the winter at. Plus I thought Vesemir told them to leave Kaer Morhen and split up until they find out who is responsible for the attack and stealing the mutagens, because they were short on time and they could cover more ground if they split up. Kaer Morhen has been home to Witchers for many many years.
Kaer Morhen can get repaired and even fortified. For example Geralt takes a contract from a king to lift a curse or hunt down a very dangerous monster, and asks the king to repair and fortify Kaer Morhen in return as a payment. It could even be a mission in the game.

The Wolf school is much reduced, consisting of just four witchers and no apprentices. I don't see them needing a place as large, costly to keep up, and badly wrecked as Kaer Morhen. If they wintered there, they would freeze to death; if it were known that they were there, they would be a target.

Henselt, if he lives, might be willing to rebuild Kaer Morhen, but only if the witchers agreed to serve him. ("Then I need an army of ploughing witchers.") But for this to have taken place before the start of the game seems implausible.

GuyN said:
The Wolf school is much reduced, consisting of just four witchers and no apprentices. I don't see them needing a place as large, costly to keep up, and badly wrecked as Kaer Morhen. If they wintered there, they would freeze to death; if it were known that they were there, they would be a target.

Henselt, if he lives, might be willing to rebuild Kaer Morhen, but only if the witchers agreed to serve him. ("Then I need an army of ploughing witchers.") But for this to have taken place before the start of the game seems implausible.

I dont think it costs them anything to keep the place up and running, they can get wood and food from nearby forests. And isnt Kaer Morhen supposed to be a hidden place? Only Witchers and Triss and maybe Yennefer know where it is, everyone else is probably dead ( Azar, Professor and their lackeys).

Also, the castle was in a bad shape since the last great attack when all the witchers except Vesemir and few others died, and still they spent every winter there, so it must be habitable.

Riordan1 said:
I dont think it costs them anything to keep the place up and running, they can get wood and food from nearby forests. And isnt Kaer Morhen supposed to be a hidden place? Only Witchers and Triss and maybe Yennefer know where it is, everyone else is probably dead ( Azar, Professor and their lackeys).

Also, the castle was in a bad shape since the last great attack when all the witchers except Vesemir and few others died, and still they spent every winter there, so it must be habitable.

Considering there was an attack on the place 2x, I don't think it is some hidden place. Also, at least with my ending of Witcher 2 the people of the north started to kill all magic users, even wanting to kill Witchers if they could find them, so being in Kaer Morhen would be a bad place to stick around in. Witchers would be better off moving around.

Unless the last attack, in TW1, completely destroyed it, Kaer Morhen should be as habitable as it was in Blood of Elves, when Ciri was living there. Nothing really changed since that time, and all major witchers are still around. Given the war, they could have picked up new orphans for apprenticeship. It mostly depends not on whether it is doable (I think it is), but on their attitude. If they decide it is not worth it, or does not make sense in a changing world, and thus, contrary to Letho, do not feel like restoring or at least maintaining the school, they may abandon Kaer Morhen for good. But I don't think it is because of the castle's condition.

i would love for us to go back to KM for more than just the prologe/ tutorial. Maybe we could get a mission to rebuild the wolf school as a structure and as an order. In his travels Geralt could save someone and call on the Law of surprise and get some new witchers to train, maybe we could even witness the trial of grasses now that the mutagens have been recovered.

P.S. in TW1 does Vesemir stay at KM or does he go somewere like the rest of them?

The last attack did extensive damage to the walls and destroyed at least one gate. At least some of what's left is crumbling and unsafe. No, keeping a place like that fit for habitation is not cheap and not within the abilities of a remnant of four witchers, nor will they have any aid or comfort from locals who trashed the place before.

I understand the sentiment for the revitalization of Kaer Morhen, but I think it cannot be satisfied realistically in the game. It would be a suitable mod or supplementary adventure.

Going to KM to live there for winter is pointless. As far as i know, witchers are not nostalgic. Sure, it was very important for them, but its just ruined castle. If they wanted to be together during winter they could find a cottage in middle of random forest. I simply can't see reason for them to return. Handful of people staying in castle during winter? I can't think of worse place to stay in winter. Old stone walls can get REALLY cold, especially in winter. To survive there, they would have to set up a large bonefire in the middle of their living hall. I can't see reasoning behind this.
If you can remember, Geralt used to guard trade ships sailing on Pontar. He had payment, food and he hadn't to do anything at all. I think he could find similar work for winter whenever he wanted to, especially during war.
But as i said earlier, i can't imagine him waiting out when he knows where is Yen, and the fact she's in hands of the Emperor.

He certainly isn't looking for Wild Hunt, i think it's quite the opposite. They are hunting him, Yen or Ciri.

As for rebuilding school of the wolf, i think it's very VERY unlikely. Renegade mages are dead or missing, ancient formulae and mutagens are missing, KM is ruined. There might be chance for another school tho, Viper or Cat comes in mind. Letho said that emperor promised him rebuilding school of the viper, so if he wasn't bluffing and Nilfgaard came out of war victorious, it might be rebuilt.

Verdade said:
Going to KM to live there for winter is pointless. As far as i know, witchers are not nostalgic. Sure, it was very important for them, but its just ruined castle. If they wanted to be together during winter they could find a cottage in middle of random forest. I simply can't see reason for them to return. Handful of people staying in castle during winter? I can't think of worse place to stay in winter. Old stone walls can get REALLY cold, especially in winter. To survive there, they would have to set up a large bonefire in the middle of their living hall. I can't see reasoning behind this.
If you can remember, Geralt used to guard trade ships sailing on Pontar. He had payment, food and he hadn't to do anything at all. I think he could find similar work for winter whenever he wanted to, especially during war.
But as i said earlier, i can't imagine him waiting out when he knows where is Yen, and the fact she's in hands of the Emperor.

He certainly isn't looking for Wild Hunt, i think it's quite the opposite. They are hunting him, Yen or Ciri.

As for rebuilding school of the wolf, i think it's very VERY unlikely. Renegade mages are dead or missing, ancient formulae and mutagens are missing, KM is ruined. There might be chance for another school tho, Viper or Cat comes in mind. Letho said that emperor promised him rebuilding school of the viper, so if he wasn't bluffing and Nilfgaard came out of war victorious, it might be rebuilt.
I think Geralt is definitely going to the school of the Viper in Witcher 3 since Letho was one of the vipers to at least figure out what is going on. And maybe someone over there knows where Yen is.

Top Bottom