The role of Kaer Morhen and Vesemir in the Witcher 3

+
@ whomever cares...

They leave the place in Witcher 1 to chase after Salamandra and take back what was stolen. I never interpreted them leaving was to be for good and the mission in question was accomplished as well. I believe Geralt must have taken or sent the mutagens somewhere, probably back to Kaer Morhen. Too dangerous to be left around for little kids(or mad ambitious men) to find. :rolleyes:

Kaer Morhen wasn't exactly in mint condition prior to Salamandra's attack but that didn't stop Witchers from living there anyway, defendable or not, and the place is actually secluded and hard to find, unless its location is betrayed.

The Frightener destroyed one gate(actually Triss did at least destroy a portcullis), but not the entire keep, nor were the surrounding walls razed to the ground. None of the witchers are masons, carpenters, or any construction engineers, but Geralt also comments that Witchers aren't that good at painting neither. But that didn't stop someone from trying to paint fresques in Kaer Morhen's heyday(and I thought they were good fresques). ;)

I believe Vesemir, Eskel, Lambert and Geralt to be very nostalgic indeed(among many others). Nostalgia and discussing the past is a major theme in the Witcher world, books or games, and many seem to lament the old ways of prior days on several occasions.

That is my interpretation at least, and I just love living in the past, and lament with them. :rolleyes:

So I'm for to return there, if implemented correctly, and CDPR know how to do just that. Yes they do indeed.

Shawnkh said:
I think Geralt is definitely going to the school of the Viper in Witcher 3 since Letho was one of the vipers to at least figure out what is going on. And maybe someone over there knows where Yen is.

I wouldn't go as fas as "definitely", but I agree that it would make more sense for him to go there during the story as to Kaer Morhen.

I'm sticking to my earlier theory of Kaer Morhen as location for the end-game, if it's there at all.

I also agree on the possibility of him having sent the Witcher Secrets back, and therefore having been in communication with Vesemir, probably during that month gap between TW1 and TW2. And that Vesemir and the other witchers may have returned to Kaer Morhen during the period covered by TW2. It was a ruin at the beginning of TW1, the attack just made it a bit more of a ruin, but it's still habitable, and home for the three of them.

I don't think he'd have gone back in person, not in that month's gap, not in the period between TW2 and TW3, and not during the main game of TW3. He has other priorities, and it's the wrong direction. The only reasoon for Kaer Morhen to be in the Prologue would be flashback, and I really hope they don't do this.

Kaer Morhen's walls and gate took some damage, but it did not get destroyed to the point where it's inhabitable. The living quarters including the hall and the rooms did not get damaged at all. The remaining Witchers don't want a 5 stars hotel, also Kaer Morhen is not used as a fort to protect them. It is as a matter of fact a nostalgic place for them to meet up and for others to find them in case they need Witcher help. They are not trying to hide in Kaer Morhen, Almost everyone knows that Witchers are at Kaer Morhen so they go there if they need their help.
Plus Kaer Morhen has a training ground, a Laboratory, and a library which they can use.
But I see your point in the fact that story wise, it may not make sense for Geralt to go back to Kaer Morhen before finding Ciri and Yen since they may be in danger.

Kaer Morhen is no Crossroads Keep, so I don't see that part working or making much sense. Whether we like it or not, witchers are a thing of the past and their history and legacy shatters before them.

As far as living in Kaer Morhen again... well. A bunch of witchers lived there just by the time of TW1 and they failed to defend it. They also lost an initiate. I'd say it's not safe, not from invaders and not from the elements. It's a relic of the past, of better times for the wolf school.

That said, I agree it is an important location likely connected to the plot and the Wild Hunt.

Don't forget that Kaer Morhen was attacked before on even greater scale and yet witchers were still living in there, because it's the only place which they can call a home. So in some way it has a great sentimental value and I belive they can still return after they retrieve the mutagens.

BellatorPiusGratus said:
I say yes!

I loved to walk around Kaer Morhen Keep in Witcher 1 and hear of its history from Vesemir while watching old fresques.

That is a Fucking Fantastic Idea!!!!

emperorzorn said:
I think the prologue and a part of the tutorial will take place in Kaer Morhen.
Maybe we'll even get to return there via fast travel.

But by foot is very unlikely, because Kaer Morhen is located in the Kaedweni mountains,
in the far northeastern corner of the world.

Hey woah emperorzom!
/> You didnt mention Ciri in your post, whats the matter with you?

i think that it will be like you just said, they will have a separate tutorial based on kaer morhen, something akin to what they had in the W2 complete edition but this time you will be controling ciri as she goes through the gauntlet.

They've said that Fast Travel is only available if you've already went to the place you want to travel to! So, how can we go there if we-I mean as newcomers- didn't go there! :/ and just thought of that; is Kaedwen being attacked or not in the Witcher 3 setting? idk about Henselt since you can either save or kill him, it varies but what was the country's definitive fate? Kaer Morhen maybe completely destroyed if Kaedwen was invaded by Nilfgaard. :[ And so that's might be the reason of Vesimier being there in No Man's Land accompanying Geralt.

I really like Vesemir from W1 and I was sad not to meeting him again during W1, he was an interesting character and a father figure for geralt. I really like him having an important role in W3

at the end of the prolog does Vesemir stay at KM because he doesn't mention where he is going to search for the mutagens like the rest of the witchers?

at the end of the prolog does Vesemir stay at KM because he doesn't mention where he is going to search for the mutagens like the rest of the witchers?

I assumed he is like a father to them so they are kind of doing his orders even if he did nothing, he only advised them! So, I've always had that impression he stayed there to keep an eye on the fortress even if there is nothing valuable it is their home and he is like the holder of that place~ idk :l

IIRC last 4 witchers from wolf school went to 4 seperate roads after the burial of Leo. Lambert to west, Eskel to east, Geralt to south and Vesemir to north.

Tell you what ... Konrad Tomaszkiewicz said that exploring whole world ( Skellige, Novigrad, No Man's Land) will be allowed after the prolog. So, according to the "Sword of Destiny" trailer, I predict that Kaer Morhen will be huge part of the prolog. Also, we saw Emperor in Wyzima, so I think we'll visit Wyzima too, in the prolog.

In the E3 demos Geralt was searching for Ciri, right ? Devs said that it was 10 hours after beggining the game, so it should be just after the prolog. In the trailer you saw Emperor talking about Ciri, "you must find her and bla bla bla ". I think all of those events will take place in prolog. Kaer Morhen, meeting with Emperor, angry power fucking boost in Geralt's mind and then you go to the open world, just like Tomaszkiewicz said, and after the prolog you start the game on No Man's Land according to his words.

Also if you dont know. OXENFURT IS BACK !!!!. IT IS COMFIRMED THAT OXENFURT WILL BE IN THE GAME !!! FUCK YEEAAHH !!!

Tell you what ... Konrad Tomaszkiewicz said that exploring whole world ( Skellige, Novigrad, No Man's Land) will be allowed after the prolog. So, according to the "Sword of Destiny" trailer, I predict that Kaer Morhen will be huge part of the prolog. Also, we saw Emperor in Wyzima, so I think we'll visit Wyzima too, in the prolog.

In the E3 demos Geralt was searching for Ciri, right ? Devs said that it was 10 hours after beggining the game, so it should be just after the prolog. In the trailer you saw Emperor talking about Ciri, "you must find her and bla bla bla ". I think all of those events will take place in prolog. Kaer Morhen, meeting with Emperor, angry power fucking boost in Geralt's mind and then you go to the open world, just like Tomaszkiewicz said, and after the prolog you start the game on No Man's Land according to his words.

Also if you dont know. OXENFURT IS BACK !!!!. IT IS COMFIRMED THAT OXENFURT WILL BE IN THE GAME !!! FUCK YEEAAHH !!!

How do you know Oxenfurt is in the game?
BTW, I also think that Kaer Morhen is the prologue like in TW1.

Top Bottom