The sheer scale of Night City

+
I think it’s from here:

cyberpunk2077-japantown-from-watson.jpg

The yellow circle is V’s and Jackie’s location, and the colored area of the map is the area of Japan Town that’s visible from there. The hills are to the east of JT, where the map shows several meandering roads (roads that, by the way, give me the impression of a Hollywood Hills type of place, given the location and the district’s description.)

If that's the "whole" map, it looks kinda small.

With the new map details, I'm cautiously growing more confident that the map will be loosely based around Morro Bay California. I think the areas shown in what I'm gonna call the "yellow map" are just Watson, City Center, Heywood and Pacifica. The more empty area seen on the map could well be the mountain ridge that runs through the middle of the valley Morro Bay is in. Check this:

Morrow Bay 7 (3)_LI.jpg

Not perfect, but fits pretty well into what we can see from our other two main sources:
Night City1.png

Night City2.png

Again, definitely not perfect, but the topography would explain the layout of the map fairly well. It would also mean that Westbrook, Santa Domingo and Badlands are not seen on the "yellow map."

Someone posted this on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/e5enql
One of the possibilities I had in mind is that perhaps what we see on the world book map is only the bigger highways, and this seems to "confirm" that.

So, perhaps some more room for hope.

Still pretty small IMO.
Remember this map of mine?
1575405802738.png

I thought the entire city is going to be THIS big.
And it turns out the entire city is JUST the PINK part! :LOL: and not even all of it!

With the new map details, I'm cautiously growing more confident that the map will be loosely based around Morro Bay California. I think the areas shown in what I'm gonna call the "yellow map" are just Watson, City Center, Heywood and Pacifica. The more empty area seen on the map could well be the mountain ridge that runs through the middle of the valley Morro Bay is in. Check this:

View attachment 11022581

Not perfect, but fits pretty well into what we can see from our other two main sources:

Again, definitely not perfect, but the topography would explain the layout of the map fairly well. It would also mean that Westbrook, Santa Domingo and Badlands are not seen on the "yellow map."
If you say mountain ridge is in the yellow map, shouldn't Westbrook be on there as well (between Watson and the ridge)? We know Japan town is on the map - it's been shown in the gif in the previous post. You think Westbrook is more up North, "off" the yellow map?
Post automatically merged:

I think it’s from here:

View attachment 11022578

The yellow circle is V’s and Jackie’s location, and the colored area of the map is the area of Japan Town that’s visible from there. The hills are to the east of JT...

Yep, agree with you.

If you say mountain ridge is in the yellow map, shouldn't Westbrook be on there as well (between Watson and the ridge)? We know Japan town is on the map - it's been shown in the gif in the previous post. You think Westbrook is more up North, "off" the yellow map?
No it would be North of the Ridge. And North/Northeast of the Map. Could be that the junkyard V wakes up in at the end of the 2019 Demo is from that elevated area North and East of Kubaki (and what I'm thinking would be south-ish of Westbrook). Since it appears he is on higher ground than the city itself.

Last edited:
If that's the "whole" map, it looks kinda small.

The image I put there is a cropped fragment of the map displayed on the cover of deluxe edition of The World of Cyberpunk, which in turn seems to be cropped as well: in theory, it appears to show between 60% and 80% of the full map. But it does look small, compared to The Witcher 3 for instance.

[...] I think the areas shown in what I'm gonna call the "yellow map" are just Watson, City Center, Heywood and Pacifica. The more empty area seen on the map could well be the mountain ridge that runs through the middle of the valley Morro Bay is in.

[...]

I partially agree.
This is what I currently believe it’s shown on that map:

world-of-cyberpunk-2077-districts.jpg

(All conjectures, as always.)

-------

I partly get people’s concerns about the overall city size. Many wanted something bigger in order to make the city feel really imposing, but the devs probably designed something more horizontally restrained in order to make exploration less of a chore, especially considering the vertical aspect of exploration in this game.

In my case, I’d be happy with something around 2 times Los Santos for the Night City area. I don’t care too much about the size of the Badlands, as long as it’s not tiny.

This is what I currently believe it’s shown on that map:
I think the area you have labeled Westbrook is still Watson, specifically Kubaki (which the 2019 Demo explicitly said was Watson).

1575408033435.png

Here is the shot of the no tell motel

1575408404751.png

Which was implied to be in this part of the city from the demo in the shot immediately before the shot above:

1575408368202.png

That part of the city is pretty clearly the area East of V's apartment (which would be the area you have labeled Westbrook on the map). That would also be fairly consistent with where Kubaki is listed as being (to the right of the relevant canal) on the metro map.

Last edited:
Can you draw on the map what you're talking about?
Yes. Give me a bit. I'll add it to this post. (right click the image and select open in new tab to make it bigger)

pasted image 0 (2).png

I could be wrong, but it fits pretty well. And Morro Bay was the original idea for where Night City was set up in Cyberpunk 2020. Could all just be a coinidence, but it wouldn't surprise me if CDPR used that area as a basis for their map, which would then logically result in something like the above when comparing the Morro Bay map, the metro map, the yellow map, and our educated guesses about where certain places are in the demos we have seen so far.

Last edited:

Interesting analysis in this video with what he believes is the location of gameplay (48 minute) in the new map.

I think its pretty spot on

View attachment 11022614

I could be wrong, but it fits pretty well. And Morro Bay was the original idea for where Night City was set up in Cyberpunk 2020. Could all just be a coinidence, but it would surprise me if CDPR used that area as a basis for their map, which would then logically result in something like the above when comparing the Morro Bay map, the metro map, the yellow map, and our educated guesses about where certain places are in the demos we have seen so far.

This looks both good and believable. I'm liking this if its true.

Yes. Give me a bit. I'll add it to this post.

View attachment 11022614

I could be wrong, but it fits pretty well. And Morro Bay was the original idea for where Night City was set up in Cyberpunk 2020. Could all just be a coinidence, but it wouldn't surprise me if CDPR used that area as a basis for their map, which would then logically result in something like the above when comparing the Morro Bay map, the metro map, the yellow map, and our educated guesses about where certain places are in the demos we have seen so far.
Interesting, but hasn't Japantown already been overlaid over the small map by someone, and it fit basically perfectly? I'd like to think this is possible, but I don't know.

One thing is certain: if that small map from the cover of the book is actually the full size of Night City, it's not just a "bit" smaller than the Witcher 3, it's downright miniscule. This puts it into perspective a bit better.

So, your theory is, the yellowed edges are not actually the edges (I mean on the world book map, not the yellow lines), but just where the designers chose to end the design? If that makes sense. I.E. there's more of the city than it appears?

Corrected my calculations:

The average elevator speed is pretty much 5 m/s.

The ride is about 19 seconds long (excluding a bit of the beginning and almost 2 seconds of braking towards the bottom of the ride). Times 5 gives us a height of 95 meters.
The distance to Jackie from the level of (a story below) V's apartment is 147 meters (as indicated by the UI). The distance to Jackie at the bottom is 112 meters, as I mentioned previously.
Again, going by Pythagorean - the height at the top is equal to sqrt(147^2 - 112^2) = around 95 meters.
After around 10 seconds of the ride, V's elevator rides outside the megabuilding and enables the player to see a highway, cars and the general outside world. So that's around 50 meters below the starting point.

So the sturdy "base" or "lobby" of a megabuilding that isn't part of the actual structure is around 45 meters tall.

1575413165184.png

I had to correct the calculations because I saw that a standard megabuilding consists of only "3" blocks, not 4, as I had thought. So the "ground level" starts way up "higher" than I considered.
Anyway, looking at the megabuilding from Deep Dive, I managed to count the height of it in stories. I got counted around 80 stories (with the lobby having the height of 9 stories).

A typical story is around 4.5 meters in height, but here in Cyberpunk a typical megabuilding story might be 5 meters tall (45m/9 stories = 5m).
So, concluding the height of an average megabuilding is anywhere from 360 meters (if the average story is 4.5 meters tall) to 400 meters (if the average story is 5 meters tall - this is the more plausible option IMO).
NOT 480 meters.

400 meters.

Okay guys, so I straightened out the pic and calculated from proportions that the length of a side of a megabuilding in Cyberpunk 2077 is around 90-110 meters, but I'm not 100% sure.

And that's mostly what I needed the height of the building in the first place (aside from acting as cool trivia).

And since I've managed to locate at least a couple megabuildings in Night City, I'll now begin calculating the map size (using the width of V's megabuilding as a measurement unit).

Brb

So this is a map of Watson/Westbrook, with the most accurately mapped out path of V to date. You can consider this her official path now, it's so accurate :p

1575416187156.png

I also attached the aforementioned scale of ~100 meters.

I'll now calculate the length of V's path, and from that I'll derive V's average speed. Adding 5-10 km's to V's average speed and we could consider the result the average cruising speed of a player.

From that, we'll calculate how long will it take to traverse the entire city. My guess? 3 minutes. Maybe 4. Sad.

OKAY DONE.

1575417376335.png

The distance V travelled in the 2018 48-minute gameplay reveal is:
27 x 100 + 2 x 0.5 1 x 100 = 2800 meters
Around 2800 meters. Keep in mind these are ROUGH estimates.

V drove the car (and covered the distance of 2800 meters) in these time frames:
24:31 - 25:35 || 25:57 - 26:30 || 31:10 - 31:35

This gives us a total of 122 seconds (2 minutes and 2 seconds).
Which gives us an average velocity of 51.5 mph (23 m/s). Quite fast for an average velocity, but keep in mind that this is a game and proportions are different from real life here.

Last edited:
So, your theory is, the yellowed edges are not actually the edges (I mean on the world book map, not the yellow lines), but just where the designers chose to end the design? If that makes sense. I.E. there's more of the city than it appears?
Yes, my added yellow lines would be a rough guess of the size of the map and the rough boundaries of each district - other than badlands, which is totally a guess. The size of the non-Badlands area in the real world is about 4 miles E/W by 5 miles N/S (which would fit our prior guesses on metro map size).

• City Center: Night City's biggest pride, this is the heart of corporations, the cluster of neon, and the quintessence of luxury.
  • Watson: A unique mix of Asian cultures, it is a fallen corporate giant now populated by immigrants, hiding various bazaars and markets in a tangle of narrow alleyways.
  • Westbrook: Featuring tourist-oriented Japantown, it is a place for the wealthy who like to work hard and play hard.
  • Heywood: Living in one of the neighborhoods of the predominantly Latino area means you successfully managed to climb the social ladder -- it's a massive suburban housing district, with an underlying gang problem.
  • Pacifica: On the other end of the spectrum, this is the most dangerous part of town, abandoned and overrun by gang activity. Separated from the rest of the city, it's a place of immense poverty.
  • Santo Domingo: All of Night City is powered from here, with its countless power plants and industrial factories, stuck in an endless cycle of modernization.
Incorporating the above prior descriptions of each area, I think Heywood, Westbrook and Santa Domingo will be less vertical than the other areas, meaning that the parts on the yellow map are most of the metropolis-feeling parts of the game. I think Westbrook may feel more like Hollywood.

Also, source material-wise, it would make sense if North Oaks and Westbrook felt like a somewhat seperated area from Night City proper. Map from 2020 -

1575418595269.png

Of course this all still a guess. I've been wrong many times before.

1575418464104.png

Each unit here is 400 meters.

The goal is to calculate the distance from one end of the map (at least the "end" visible here) - the end of Pacifica, to the other - AllFoods. The more precise goal is to find how big the city proper actually is (e.g. the actual fun stuff - so excluding the Badlands).
The goal is also to calculate how long it will take for the player to drive through the "entire" "megalopolis" (haha) - how long it will take to drive from Pacifica to the AllFoods (Maelstrom hideout).
---------------------------------------
LETS GET RIGHT INTO IT.
---------------------------------------

18 x 400 + 2x0.5 1 x 400 = 7600 meters...

V'S AVERAGE DRIVING SPEED IN THE DEMO:

7600m : 23m/s = 330.5 seconds = 5.5 minutes

THE AVERAGE PLAYER'S (?) DRIVING SPEED:

7600m : 25-27m/s = ~280-300 seconds = ~4.5-5 minutes

That's it. The entire city will be traversable in 4.5-5 minutes, and that's cruising speed. Going at maximum speed, that'll be 3.5-4 minutes (probably).

What do you all think?

I respectfully disagree with this calculation. Night City does fit Morro Bay's general geography but the proportions of the World of Cyberpunk map in relation to yours seem optimistic.

I think Heywood, Westbrook and Santa Domingo will be less vertical than the other areas

I agree. Excluding Japan Town, the tallest structures those districts could feature are megabuildings but that'd be it.

Also, source material-wise, it would make sense if North Oaks and Westbrook felt like a somewhat seperated area from Night City proper.

Correct. However, we have to consider that the shape of Night City has changed dramatically, so the 2020 sourcebooks work mostly as a loose reference when it comes to geography and locations rather than a precise resource.

Take for instance South Night City, which seems like it pretty much disappeared by 2077. (Perhaps the Night City Holocaust and the following reconstruction of City Center had something to do with it?)

By the way, don't quote me on that but I think in Cyberpunk Red they said that most of the old North Oaks was transformed into Watson. Correct me if I'm wrong.

What do you all think?

You did an amazing job doing those calculations :cool:So I'll believe you for the time being. Once the game releases we could try to see how right you were with those numbers.

This makes me wonder: if Velen had modern cars and highways, how long could it take to go from one end to the other? :think:

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree with this calculation. Night City does fit Morro Bay's general geography but the proportions of the World of Cyberpunk map in relation to yours seem optimistic.
Absolutely fine to disagree. Just making pseudo educated guesses based on where we see V go in the 2018 demo (up towards NID), and where 2019 shows us being (in Kubaki). In the 2018 demo we do see one mountain closer to Kubaki (though it's a bit hard to tell the distance, and another further off in the distance. That too would be consistent with the topography of the map. If there was a Valley between the two (which it appears there is IMO - though again hard to tell from this one shot), then that's where my guesses would put Westbrook.

1575422501131.png

Overall my guesses would put the size of the map larger than the Novigrad/Velen portion of TW3 map, but smaller than the overall map.

Last edited:
Top Bottom