The sheer scale of Night City

+
No need to flip the video’s screenshot. Compare it to this image:

View attachment 11024861

I believe the megabuilding seen in this image is the same one on the left side of the screenshot (the non-flipped one), and the holographic billboard here is the leftmost one on the screenshot. But as always, I might be wrong, this is simply what I think things probably are.
Agreed. If the last shot from Grimes' video indeed shows City Centre and Pacifica, there is no need to flip the picture horizontally.

Keep in mind this might not be an fully accurate represnatation of the city as the video description says "inspired by the world of Cyberpunk 2077!"

Sir_Parsifal, thank you for you work on figuring out how big the map maybe is...
Is it possible to overlay both official maps (1 & 2) on your map with correct size and in place ?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 258
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    502.5 KB · Views: 292
  • yourmap.jpg
    yourmap.jpg
    579.7 KB · Views: 635
And while we’re at it, is anyone here willing to make a visual comparison between Night City’s taller structures (megabuildings, Japan Town’s skyscrapers, Arasaka HQ,...) and real-life Burj al-Khalifa? That could be an interesting exercise.

Sir_Parsifal, thank you for you work on figuring out how big the map maybe is...
Is it possible to overlay both official maps (1 & 2) on your map with correct size and in place ?

Unfortunately my map was sort of wrong (at least regarding V's apartment's location) because i assumed that the metro map's geographic orientation wasn't tilted (eg that N was situated at the top). Unfortunately it turns out it was tilted, so yeah.

is anyone here willing to make a visual comparison between Night City’s taller structures (megabuildings, Japan Town’s skyscrapers, Arasaka HQ,...) and real-life Burj al-Khalifa? That could be an interesting exercise.

I am for it! I don't know if you remember, but I did the calculations for megabuildings already.
I am 100% certain that the height of an average megabuilding is somewhere around 350-400 meters. As to the precise height, I am only 80% certain - that the precise height is around 400 meters.
Post automatically merged:

Sooo.. I took the pic from the latest 4AEM video (which already was higher-res than what we previously got in the TGA video), and then I used an "enhancing tool" (an artificial pic sharpener - a tool that uses AI; called Deep Image). After that I used standard photo editing tools.

If someone could color-correct this (like this Reddit user did HERE, but he was working on a LOWER-RES VERSION!: reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/ea4lmf) please - then we'd have a true glimpse at Night City for the first time.
Here is the clearest view of Night City to date.

Night City.png

FINAL CORRECTION TO MY CALCULATIONS:
This view provides me with a very thorough depiction of a megabuilding, and of the megabuilding's lobby. It's a completely new perspective that shows me everything that was unseen, which means my figures will have to be corrected.

I have previously ascertained that the pace of the elevator was 5 m/s. This much is left unchanged.
The ride from top of the lobby (e.g. the moment V sees light for the first time, during the elevator ride) to the bottom takes 10 seconds.
So the height of the lobby is 50 meters (not 45 meters).

1576952542630.png

Counting the pixels and calculating from proportions, I found out that therefore, megabuildings are

280 meters tall

And not 350-400 meters tall.
The average story is therefore 3.5 meters tall (280m/80 stories - figure from earlier analyses, the actual number of stories will be lower than that, I just broke up the height of lobby into a number of stories of same height).

Megabuildings seem to be rectangular in shape, not square.
I straightened out the pic, and calculated that the longer side of megabuildings isn't 100 meters long but:

105 meters long

This means my calculations about the size of the city will have to be multiplied by 1.05. Which means they remain almost unchanged.

Hope you find this fun!

And while we’re at it, is anyone here willing to make a visual comparison between Night City’s taller structures (megabuildings, Japan Town’s skyscrapers, Arasaka HQ,...) and real-life Burj al-Khalifa? That could be an interesting exercise.

I have completed my calculations.

So, to answer your question: probably the tallest structure in Cyberpunk 2077, the Arasaka HQ located in the center of Corporate Plaza, is..

around 440 meters tall

Night City 2.png

How did I calculate it?
Check out the picture above.

Last edited:
[...]
I have completed my calculations.

So, to answer your question: probably the tallest structure in Cyberpunk 2077, the Arasaka HQ located in the center of Corporate Plaza, is..

around 440 meters tall

[pic removed for previty]

How did I calculate it?
Check out the picture above.

Interesting, but I have to ask, have you accounted for any possible "foreshortening" effects. This whole discussion triggered something in my vast arsenal of useless trivia, after a short internet search, I ended up grokking what my subconcious was trying to tell me;

The inherently wide angle of view that videogames operate with, causes nearby objects to seem disproportionately larger than far away objects. Given that 2077 is developed primarily as a PC game, we can expect the ingame footage to be optimized first and foremost to high field of view, as this is more comfortable to game on when closer to the monitor.

High FoV however, magnifies the distortion effect. Quite irrelevant to gameplay, but challenging for ingame architectural photography and making assesments of the physical scope of the ingame world.

Interesting, but I have to ask, have you accounted for any possible "foreshortening" effects.

I think the buildings are too far away to be distorted in any meaningful way, even the megabuilding in the "foreground" (which honestly is so far away it's actually background, but I tried to make a distinction so as to localize the ground level of Corporate Plaza accurately).

I traced and drew a model (honestly it's more of a draft) of Arasaka Corporation's HQ, based off the music video

Arasaka HQ.png

And here's the isolated megabuilding model:

Megabuilding.png

And here they are shown in a to-scale comparison (with the tallest skyscraper in the world - Burj Khalifa, and the tallest skyscraper in the US - 1 WTC, for reference - per Maurizio's request):

comparison.png

Last edited:
I know this is just a wallpaper made for the E3 booth but i always wondered if this is an indication of the city layout to some degree(maybe an earlier version)
061825793972742302cfd9294f4e53aa.jpg

To me, this always looked like Watson(Vs building on the left) in the front looking south towards the city center with Pacifica on the far right.

About 400 meters height for "tall" buildings seems to be right to me, I recall calculating that myself for the building with the Orbital Air logo visible many times throughout the 48 minutes gameplay demo. And regular skyscrapers, like those visible from V's apartment on the other side of the canal, are more in the 200-250 meters range.

A couple of new pics from The World of Cyberpunk 2077 Deluxe Edition:

4nkpZTk.jpg

8WEOCgz.jpg

[Source]

Huh, the Orbital Air island looks a bit larger than I expected... mostly because it didn’t occur to my tiny and slow brain that that’s where Night City’s main airport is (apparently) going to be located, not just the space center :LOL:

-------
P.S.: That deluxe edition seems of a higher quality here than on previous pics, so it has my attention now. I’m a sucker for well-made books :ok:

Last edited:
Huh, the Orbital Air island looks a bit larger than I expected... mostly because it didn’t occur to my tiny and slow brain that that’s where Night City’s main airport is (apparently) going to be located, not just the space center :LOL:
Sort of makes sense to have them co-located.
I'd sort of expect the terminal to be located between the air and spaceport thus it can cover both.

A rough representation of the shape of Night City's districts:

q6zjda74fpa41.jpeg

[Source]

So, my previous guess was wrong regarding City Center, Heywood and Santo Domingo: apparently, the first two share the central island and the latter comprises the whole southeastern section of the city. Also, Pacifica seems to cover a larger area than I expected.

Top Bottom