The sheer scale of Night City

+
well they did say they took inspiration from the night city source book . and if there city is as detailed as that one then that will be impressive.

Again this assumes the metro map is somewhere close to scale.

Metro 'maps' (for example London's iconic Tube 'map') are usually schematic diagrams rather than true maps, and thus are not to scale at all, as for clarity, that would actually make them much larger and harder to understand. So I suspect the Night City metro map is not at all to scale.

So I suspect the Night City metro map is not at all to scale.

I completely agree. But all of our speculation here basically requires assuming it's a least somewhat accurate in order to come up with some form of "best guess."

I completely agree. But all of our speculation here basically requires assuming it's a least somewhat accurate in order to come up with some form of "best guess."

I mean people do know that metro/underground maps are logical and not physical right? that was the innovation that the designer of the London underground map made and all underground/metro systems followed on from.

I'll be happy if something of that size is FULL (literally) of buildings with options to get in. Soooooo happy.

I think there will be plenty of content, overall a fair bit more than in The Witcher 3 (despite the likely smaller horizontal map area, the density more than makes up for that), even if on such a large map (for a city), it is probably not realistic to expect every building to have fully explorable and unique interiors.

I mean people do know that metro/underground maps are logical and not physical right?

It was mentioned a number of times throughout this thread that the metro map is probably not accurate. But unfortunately we have nothing better at the moment, in the demo, the actual game map (which I guess would have been under the GPS tab on the UI) was never shown. However, the overall layout is probably still about right, even if any single point could have been moved around by as much as 100 meters. So, guessing the scale from distant landmarks (e.g. Orbital Air Space Center vs. All Food and the view location) hopefully still gives a rough estimate within like 10-20% at worst.

How many Floors are In the tallest Building in Night City?

On the topic of heights, the building in the center of view below seems to be about 250 meters tall. That is, assuming 500 meters distance and 81 degrees horizontal (= 51.3 degrees vertical) FOV. The tower on the right, below the quest objectives is somewhat farther away and is of similar height. For comparison, the tallest buildings in Fallout 4 like Mass Fusion and Trinity Tower are about 160 meters high.
The height of the Orbital Air building (not on this picture, it is outside the view to the right) could be more than 400 meters, but it is hard to tell because the bottom part is never clearly visible.

Metro 'maps' (for example London's iconic Tube 'map') are usually schematic diagrams rather than true maps, and thus are not to scale at all, as for clarity, that would actually make them much larger and harder to understand. So I suspect the Night City metro map is not at all to scale.
I can confirm Chicago and San Francisco follow London's example of being a logical map rather than a literal one, San Francisco being particularly relevant in this situation as it is pretty close to where Night City according to the cyberpunk 2020 maps.

It does look like an idealized map, with everything at perfect 45 degrees or right angles. I think especially the train lines were subject to being moved around, for the sake of readability and not overlapping with other lines (I mean, some of those that look like running parallel close to each other could in fact only be separated vertically). But the overall size and shape of the areas with water could be about right, since there is less reason to change those, and the marker locations line up with them reasonably (that is, if within a radius of 100 meters or so counts as such, compared to ~2.5 km between the most distant marked points). I wonder if developers who know the real map could comment on how far off our speculation is.

That V's apartment looks nice. Hope this game will have many contents able to interact with a player character. Whatever the story is, I still value the player freedom when playing RPG.

I do not think they said that, it was a rumor around last September.

I honestly believe its gonna be much bigger, CD Projekt Red isnt in position to lie and bs people yet, imho. One successful series doesnt make you a hero.

Btw, Ive been thinking maybe Kingdome Come Deliverence team could join to them? Doubt they get much better publisher.

I honestly believe its gonna be much bigger, CD Projekt Red isnt in position to lie and bs people yet, imho. One successful series doesnt make you a hero.

CDPR did not lie about anything regarding the size of the map, the claim that it would be 4 times bigger than The Witcher 3 is only a rumor from unofficial sources. Actual quotes from the developers always avoided the topic of comparing the two games in terms of horizontal area, and emphasized the verticality of Night City, that would be in line with a "smaller" but more densely packed map. Knowing that TW3 is already one of the largest modern open worlds, it would not be realistic to expect a map with ~500 km2 area if it was not mostly a wasteland, or procedurally generated content, but both of those have been denied.

Top Bottom