The sheer scale of Night City

+
I don’t know if this was discussed already but, paying a bit more attention to the gameplay sneak peek, this scene in particular where V is about to ride his bike:

cyberpunk-2077-gameplay-sneak-peek-panorama.jpg

Makes me think that, since V is watching this scene somewhere in Pacifica, the building on the center-left of the image, further down the horizon and below the airship closest to the megabuilding, is probably the Orbital Air Space Center. I also believe the megabuilding seen there might be Westwind Estate and the buildings behind it part of the City Center. Plus, could that big flat structure, on the horizon below the other airship, be a stadium?

Just a thought.

I don’t know if this was discussed already but, paying a bit more attention to the gameplay sneak peek, this scene in particular where V is about to ride his bike:

Makes me think that, since V is watching this scene somewhere in Pacifica, the building on the center-left of the image, further down the horizon and below the airship closest to the megabuilding, is probably the Orbital Air Space Center. I also believe the megabuilding seen there might be Westwind Estate and the buildings behind it part of the City Center. Plus, could that big flat structure, on the horizon below the other airship, be a stadium?

Just a thought.
Yep, I agree with the Orbital Air. Would also make sense regarding the loose map of Night City - Pacifica being South of City centre, and OA being West of it.

One thing that I CAN'T figure out from this screenshot: what the friggin' hell is that tall... thing, with ads on it, floating above the buildings in the centre of the picture (edit: it is located a bit right from the Megabuilding)??? The thing that goes way up to the upper border of the picture and beyond. It doesn't seem to have any depth so I doubt it's a building, looks more like a floating poster above the city?

Holographic ad maybe?

I read somewhere we will have dynamic and hazardous weather. Dynamic weather we saw in W3 so that's a given but hazards look interesting.

One thing that I CAN'T figure out from this screenshot: what the friggin' hell is that tall... thing, with ads on it, floating above the buildings in the centre of the picture (edit: it is located a bit right from the Megabuilding)??? The thing that goes way up to the upper border of the picture and beyond. It doesn't seem to have any depth so I doubt it's a building, looks more like a floating poster above the city?

I think it might be an ad covering the side of a skyscraper and the rest of said skyscraper hasn’t fully rendered because of distance issues (i.e. a bug.)

Either that or, as you said, a floating ad, which would be strange but cool.

I think it might be an ad covering the side of a skyscraper and the rest of said skyscraper hasn’t fully rendered because of distance issues (i.e. a bug.)

True, haven't thought about the rendering!

That's very impressive if true, i really thought they were in a different district by the time they got to allfoods
they're not fooling around when they keep calling it metropolis/megalopolis

Size is one thing, I mainly hope for so distinctive areas or districts that they'll be stuck in your head well. In other words, size alone isn't all, if they can manage to make each district distinctive not just as one blob, but then have different sub-themes, I think they can really offer a diverse map experience.

So far, I remain optimistic and I think they'll do a good job.

Not that concerning. "A little bit smaller" is not "OMG RAISE THE PITCHFORKS ITS 75% SMALLER!!1111" territory, in my opinion.

It being smaller seems like a given to me, there was a lot of empty and wasted space in the Witcher 3, and it was a medieval fantasy world with lots of hills, mountains, etc. As long as we aren't talking 2 or three Novigrads in total horizontal space, I won't be disappointed or worried.

And this is coming from someone who generally enjoys the "empty and wasted space" I just mentioned. Heck, I loved RDR2 to death.

A good comparison might be GTA 4 to GTA 5.

As you can see below, only a very small portion of GTA 5's map size was actually "city." For the most part, it was small hamlets, mountains, rivers, streams, etc. Great stuff, I loved it all, but then look at 4's, which was 100% city. Listed both below.

GTA V's map:
GTA 4 Map:

Well what map exactly? Velen + Novigrad? Everything in base TW3? Absolutely everything in TW3 GOTY?
Talking only land mass of couse.

Let's just say the landmass of Velen + the Redania parts (Novigrad, Oxenfurt and northern parts) + Skellige landmass and that all is covored by a city.

I don't know. Still sounds big.

Apparently the map is smaller than we think.
Not smaller than we think. Go back and read the sizes. Assuming it was to scale, our guess was the metro map was roughly 64 km2 8km x 8km (roughly the size of Novigrad & Velen in TW3). This of course would not have included the badlands since it seems unlikely the metro goes out to the desert ... but even assuming the surrounding area was equal and horizontal size to the city itself (which seems a stretch to me) that would still only be 128 km2 which is smaller than the TW3's total horizontal space (roughly 140 km2).

I've been thinking it'll be smaller in horizontal space than TW3 pretty much since the start. Now if you added up all the vertical floor space of the buildings in such, I would it'll probably be close or even more than TW3, but there's no way to measure that really in advance of release.

The megabuilding in the 2018 demo already feels bigger and more packed than Oxenfurt in TW3. Might even potentially rival or straight up outdo Novigrad.

Hi, I would like to start my own thread, where I post my own version of the whole map of Night City and beyond. I have substantiated my assumptions with far better evidence. How could I start my own thread? (I think it is worthy of a separate, clean-slate thread)

Turns out it’s actually a floating holo ad, plus the drawing distance has been notably improved if one compares it to the sneak peek.

cyberpunk-2077-deep-dive-01.jpg

The ad (and everything else) looks amazing :ok:I wonder if there are crazier-looking holograms in the City Center.

Hi, I would like to start my own thread, where I post my own version of the whole map of Night City and beyond. I have substantiated my assumptions with far better evidence. How could I start my own thread? (I think it is worthy of a separate, clean-slate thread)

You need to participate more in the forums (like posting at least 10 messages) before being able to open a new thread, as far as I know.

Top Bottom