The sheer scale of Night City

+
"What you’re seeing here is from early in the game. It may be different from what you’re seeing now, but it is part of the game."

I wonder what that means.
Also, you can't deduce anything relevant from Iwinski's response. He only says that it was not pre-rendered or anything, that it was actually played in-game. But we already have proofs of their other "conveniences" - Dexter DeShawn's car going around in circles making the ride seem longer than it actually was. Making the map seem bigger than it actually is.
The progression of time being bent.

And now we face this inconsistency.. Yeah, I wouldn't say that single line of dialogue is enough to refute everything else that aligns perfectly with my location and just simply fits in.

In fact, I'd say it's probable that the whole quest won't even get to the final game in the same form. It might be just a demo version of the quest, just like it happened in the Witcher 3's gameplay demo, it was all completely different and bent there compared to the final, released version of the quest. So my hypothesis is that the finished version of the quest will be far longer and we will end up travelling further, taking a turn towards the NID while on the way. Something like that. Seems like it's just a condensed demo-version of a quest that's deeper and bigger.

They say the quest is still in the game as of now.

They say the quest is still in the game as of now.

Probably in a changed form. As I said, a similar thing happened with the quest shown in the Witcher 3 gameplay demo.
Post automatically merged:

Fixed Heybrook to Heywood, fixed City Center name placement, deleted the unsure location of the All Food Plant.

This is the current, final version of my map as of 9/06. Enjoy!

And remember that I made a map size comparison!

Here's how I made it:
https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/the-sheer-scale-of-night-city.10982168/page-9
Post #172

Last edited:
Not sure if this helps anyone at all, but:

City Center: Night City's biggest pride, this is the heart of corporations, the cluster of neon, and the quintessence of luxury.

Watson: A unique mix of Asian cultures, it is a fallen corporate giant now populated by immigrants, hiding various bazaars and markets in a tangle of narrow alleyways.

Westbrook: Featuring tourist-oriented Japantown, it is a place for the wealthy who like to work hard and play hard.

Heywood: Living in one of the neighborhoods of the predominantly Latino area means you successfully managed to climb the social ladder -- it's a massive suburban housing district, with an underlying gang problem.

Pacifica: On the other end of the spectrum, this is the most dangerous part of town, abandoned and overrun by gang activity. Separated from the rest of the city, it's a place of immense poverty.

Santo Domingo: All of Night City is powered from here, with its countless power plants and industrial factories, stuck in an endless cycle of modernization.

Has anyone figured out what location the original teaser trailer takes place in? I love the old vs new aesthetic. Very Blade Runner.

City Center? Westbrook?

The well dressed bodies make it seem like a wealthier area of the city, but there's still graffiti to be seen so it could even be Heywood.

Has anyone figured out what location the original teaser trailer takes place in? I love the old vs new aesthetic. Very Blade Runner.

City Center? Westbrook?

The well dressed bodies make it seem like a wealthier area of the city, but there's still graffiti to be seen so it could even be Heywood.
This is seven years old now. Long before any pre-production started.

If nothing from the teaser makes it in, that's really unfortunate since this is still my favorite trailer and captures the look and feel of cyberpunk the best imo.

It even makes cyberpsychosis the main theme which is super interesting from the base lore of 2020. I hope that whole aspect makes it in the game but seeing how it hasn't been in any of the other trailers doesn't give me much hope.

It even makes cyberpsychosis the main theme which is super interesting from the base lore of 2020. I hope that whole aspect makes it in the game but seeing how it hasn't been in any of the other trailers doesn't give me much hope.

"Weber: So I can definitely say it will be part of the world, part of the story... but as for how it will affect the player, I can't really say. In Cyberpunk 2020 it was a gameplay system and if you used too much cyberwear you could get cyberpsychosis which would essentially be Game Over for you. It can't really work like that in our game because it would be too frustrating if it was just 'Game Over'... I can't say how we're handling it yet but cyberpsychosis is definitely part of the game. " (https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-08-24-the-big-cyberpunk-2077-interview )

Interview is from 2018, but i think you won't have to fear that it won't be part of the game. Just not something V has to struggle with him/herself. But e.g. the Maelstrom leader is supposed to be a Cyberpsycho...

Quoting myself from Everything We've Heard So Far About Cyberpunk 2077 (with citations included)

You need to be careful with body modifications in Night City though. In CP2020, if you installed too much Cyberware, you could become a "Cyberpsycho" who has completely lost touch with their humanity and control of their actions. However, in a cRPG cyberpsychosis would essentially be a Game Over for the player, so CDPR is handling it another way. They are limiting cyberware in 2077 by dividing V's body into sections (head, arms, legs, torso) which then have slots. Each area can only have some much cyberware installed into slots before the humanity cost is too high. At that point, you cannot install anything else. So while there will be lots of ways V can make use of cyberware, she wont be able to become a full blown soulless cyborg. Even though we wont personally become cyberpyscho, Cyberpsychosis will be represented in the game, and will be a part of the story.

We should probably wander back towards discussion on the size of night city and/or it's map.

Idea: does anyone have the Photoshop chops required to straighten out this blurry view of Watson?

1567808177215.png

It's quite low res, but it would be much more useful if straightened.

Here's a much straighter snippet from the same map, this time depicting City Center. Just to show you how it should look when straightened out.
1567808237287.png

Eh, there isn't much info to be gleaned from it honestly.
View attachment 11014649
Thank you!

I'm trying to recreate the map myself. Looks like it's the "Arasaka Waterfront" there on the left and Little China in the bottom right corner. Kind of funny they misspelled it as "Litle China"

So, we can be sure this is Watson. This is kind of useful. I suspect the orange line depicts some freeway or maybe a metro line.

Also I wonder, how did you get it in such high resolution?

Eh, there isn't much info to be gleaned from it honestly.
View attachment 11014649

I have a weird problem with the placement of what seems to be "Arasaka Waterfront"
In all honesty, the snippets of the map shown in the Collector's Edition video don't seem to be truthful at all. Misspellings, mismatchings, and like.. Compare the distance from Little China to Arasaka Waterfront on the metro map, and then here. If it's really as short as in this map, then the map is really small...

Compare the distance from Little China to Arasaka Waterfront on the metro map, and then here. If it's really as short as in this map, then the map is really small...
I wouldn't expect it to be to scale. The Witcher 3 map that came with the game looked like this:

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Premium-Edition-Map.jpg

Which was not to scale at all.

Having said that, if it were to scale, there would be another panel between the two that you can see, and at least two to the South as well. That's pretty sizable.

I wouldn't expect it to be to scale. The Witcher 3 map that came with the game looked like this:

View attachment 11014661

Which was not to scale at all.

Having said that, if it were to scale, there would be another panel between the two that you can see, and at least two to the South as well. That's pretty sizable.

I don't think there will be a panel between the two snippets that we can see. In one of the shots, we can notice the name "Little China" at the top of the City Center map. This suggests these two panels are adjacent.

Also true, the Witcher 3 map was not to scale at all. But it was generally made in a kind of fantasy/fairy tale way. Here you can make out the particular street layout, particular buildings and what not. It's a tough conundrum

Also slightly off-topic, but I think the piece playing in the background is actually Cyberpunk 2077's official theme.

And it sounds so, so good. I wish we could listen to the full version somewhere.

Last edited:
Holy cow! You people did your homework, I'm impressed :cool:

I have honestly not much to add to what you've said about the map already, other that I'm strongly on the camps of "the skyscraper cluster, despite appearances, is in Westbrook probably", "the Orbital Air logo location isn't the Space Center, it looks like a part of City Center or Heywood to me", "the abandoned All Foods factory is in Kabuki", and that I think the position of most of the locations @Sir_Parsifal figured out make quite a lot of sense to me, despite some little inconsistencies.

Boy, I'm going to love the day they show the game map. Yet, at the same time, I'd rather keep myself as little-informed about it as possible, I want to be surprised.

Top Bottom