The sheer scale of Night City

+
Some people on the game's subreddit noticed some interesting things about the metro map shown in the PC Gamer’s Cyberpunk special cover.

iayn5f0w4ct31.jpeg

Their observations, and mine, are mostly these ones:
  • The city map seems larger now. Notice how the M1 and the M8 lines extend further north and south now, respectively.
  • The previously restricted-looking lines of Pacifica have normal colors now... whatever that means.
  • The Pacifica and Santo Domingo labels have been slightly repositioned.
  • The Orbital Air Space Center label has been removed. Makes some sense to me, since it was as big as the ones they used for the district names and, clearly, the OASC is not a district...
  • ...however, a new big label has appeared on the southern end of the now-extended M8 line. Honestly I doubt they added another district, so this might mean it’s an important-enough area, as important as the OASC was at least. And it's not Rancho Coronado, as far as I can tell.
The last two observations are the most intriguing ones to me :think:

Last edited:
Some people on the game's subreddit noticed some interesting things about the metro map shown in the PC Gamer’s Cyberpunk special cover.

You're talking about that cover where there's an Asian dude sleeping next to V, with corpo-cops outside the train?
It's an unofficial artwork entirely, as far as I know. Created for the magazine by some non-CDPR artist

You're talking about that cover where there's an Asian dude sleeping next to V, with corpo-cops outside the train?
It's an unofficial artwork entirely, as far as I know. Created for the magazine by some non-CDPR artist

Mmm, shame, the artwork is pretty rad though. Do you have a source on that?

EJ6ZlLKX0AAWkSB.jpg

A more recent, higher-res, but still incomplete version of this artwork. Some additional little details can be seen here now, like that V is in the New Harbor station on the M2 line ("The Glenn") which seems to be located between Medcenter and Japan Town. This according to the metro line shown in the rightmost window.

Of course, nothing seen here is definitive (e.g. the first metro map showed that Arasaka Waterfront was in Watson, while the metro line here says it’s in City Center o_O), but still looks cool regardless.

Oh by the way - Cyberpunk staff has read my message. I asked them whether the metro map is "tilted" (in terms of geographic directions). They just read it and didn't respond to me at all

They don't wanna disclose anything :p
Post automatically merged:

I have determined the height at which V's apartment is located

height.png

1. I measured the time of the elevator ride while at the same time keeping in mind the diminishing distance to Jackie.
At around 12:10 (Point A), the distance to Jackie is 121 meters. 3.5 seconds later, at around 12:13 (12:13.5 - Point B) the distance to Jackie is 115 meters.
At ground level, the distance to Jackie is 112 meters.

2. Using the elementary geometric formula - the Pythagorean theorem, I calculated the altitude of V for Point B and for Point A.
Point B: sqrt(115^2 - 112^2) = sqrt(681) = ~26 meters
Point A: sqrt(121^2 - 112^2) = sqrt(2097) = ~46 meters

3. I measured the speed of the elevator. Since the elevator passed 20 meters in 3.5 seconds, the speed of the elevator is around 5.7 m/s.

4. Final measurements: I measured the time it took to get from the top (the place where V entered the elevator, 1 story below her apartment) to the bottom. It was around 21.5 seconds.
The conclusion:
Since it took V 21.5 seconds to get from the top to the bottom, and the elevator speed is 5.7 m/s, the place where V entered the elevator is located ~122.5 meters above her.

Since V's apartment is 1 story above her, and we can assume that 1 story = ~4 meters, then V's apartment is located ~126.5 meters above ground.

Hope you guys will find this interesting, lol.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Thanks to close observation, I managed to pinpoint where V's apartment is precisely located in the megabuilding.

Thanks to this (and thanks to my knowledge of the height at which V's apartment is located) I managed to calculate the height of the entire megabuilding (using Paint.NET, measuring pixels and calculating simple proportions).

I estimate the height of a standard Night City megabuilding in Cyberpunk 2077 to be around 480 meters.

cyberpunk height.png

More info on how I managed to pinpoint V's apartment's location:

cyberpunk 5a.png

1575249458340.png

And finally:

cyberpunk 5c.png

(the green \/ is an arrow, not "V")

EDIT: Just looked deeper into the details and the "DEVON" hint might not be useful. Maybe it's two same ads in two different places. BUT even then, they would be very close to each other. Remember about the geographic directions on the compas.
However I still think V's apartment is located where I showed earlier.

Last edited:
Nice work! I think it's pretty clear by now that this is indeed the Megabuilding where V's apartment is, above the Watson plaza, overlooking the vista of (in my opinion) either Westbrook or City Centre across the river to the east (the famous cluster of skyscrapers - I'm still inclined to think it's Westbrook).

Edit: someone over on Reddit just found this, it's a deluxe edition and features part of the map on the cover of the case! If observed closely, you can tell it's the same map as shown in the 2019 Deep Dive video.

81HErx+FaaL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Link: https://www.amazon.com/-/zh/dp/1506716997

Okay, so based on what we have now and what was posted on page 14, we had an approximation for:

2.jpg

With the new map given, I think we can finally put some districts and landmarks on it with a degree of certainty:

20191202_101333.jpg

The mountains are definitely to the East, as was seen and confirmed from the 2018 demo. The famous cluster is Westbrook, also to the East of our location in 2018 demo. Before the car chase in 2018 demo (and before we take a turn towards the famous cluster) we see another cluster in front (South) of us across the river - likely the 'beginning' of City Centre, leading down to Corpo Plaza (not seen in 2018 demo). The location of river canals and bridges across them coincides with the map. We also know Pacifica is down South and bordering the sea on the West. Northwest of Pacifica lies Orbital station on an island (seen in the 2019 demo and the tilted metro map) - off-map on the map above. All this pretty much also coincides with the metro map, if we take away metro map's tilt and "basic line plotting". Santo Domingo is Southeast.

Last edited:
Nice work @Sir_Parsifal and @Agient
I guess i was partly right, skyline before the chase is City Center, the red line on the physical map is the same as the bold white line circulating the new map, which is a highway i assume
east of V's is Westbrook, but that's begs the question, where's Kabuki and NID exactly? Badlands too
also this doesn't seem to show the whole map and there's more on the other side of the book
frankly i think it looks kind of small? maybe not when we get to see it in real time

Thanks @Mr7Beans

True, I agree with you on the locations of the clusters and think you're right. And yeah man, I also wonder where around NC the Badlands will be, it'll be an interesting part of the map for sure.

I think the map continues to the back cover. As for the size - I know what you mean, another user over on Reddit tried to pinpoint V's path through Watson during 2018 demo... and if he's correct, the map seems quite small.

Of course, that's purely speculation. And like you said, it may very well feel/be larger and different when experiencing it "live".

Tbh seeing the density of the map I'm pretty okay with this size we are seeing here.
However, if horizontally 'slightly smaller' than the witcher 3 turns out to be this, then I wonder what 'slightly shorter campaign' actually means.
It makes sense that both of them might be on a much smaller scale because if not, they wouldn't just explicitly mention it because people wouldn't notice.

However, if horizontally 'slightly smaller' than the witcher 3 turns out to be this, then I wonder what 'slightly shorter campaign' actually means.
I'd be okay even if the main quest was 2/3rds the length. The first time I played TW3, I felt pretty confident when the Battle of Kaer Morhen was starting, that it was the finale and I was satisfied with it's length at that point. Turns out there's a whole other Act after that. Though I like long games ... so IF that we true, I'd like either more side activities, or a more interconnected and reactive main/side quest system.

Map looks small to me based on the World Book image. About the same scale as Los Santos' proper city (not all the misc. wilderness).

I hope the city is measured differently, and that image is not a perfectly accurate representation of Night City itself. Verticality is great, and not commonly seen in modern games. But a dark city of the future should still feel like a dark city of the future. If I'm going from one side of the map to the other in a couple minutes, I feel that I'll be a bit disappointed. Sorry.

Perhaps we will get a better glimpse of the map's scale before launch. Or perhaps not. CDPR seems awful keen on milking this Pacifica demo for all it's worth, and it's frankly the absolute worst way you could possibly show off a high-tech cyberpunk world, in my opinion. They chose the wrong district to market heavily, in my opinion.

This matters to me more now than it did before. As I start to lose interest in the gameplay side of things, and as I become more convinced this game is not going to live up to certain expectations, I hold on to the hope that it will at least offer a compelling and immersive world.

CDPR seems awful keen on milking this Pacifica demo for all it's worth, and it's frankly the absolute worst way you could possibly show off a high-tech cyberpunk world, in my opinion. They chose the wrong district to market heavily, in my opinion.
You missed the fact that they also released a heavily compromised version of the demo in front of 4.5 million views with that 'spoiler' excuse just to keep on showing the full demo privately to some thousands while spending tons of money for traveling, booking etc.

.....was that really worth it?

You missed the fact that they also released a heavily compromised version of the demo in front of 4.5 million views with that 'spoiler' excuse just to keep on showing the full demo privately to some thousands while spending tons of money for traveling, booking etc.

.....was that really worth it?

Yeah, I have my fair share of problems with the 15-minute demo, but I'm trying to avoid discussing them too much because it makes me "ungrateful" (never mind that I've already pre-purchased a CE, a digital copy, both variants of the world book -- deluxe and standard -- and merch from the CDPR store) and "entitled." Also, it would be off-topic.

Better to stay focused on the map's scale in this thread. To that end, I'm skeptical, but I'll remain open-minded. I wish they would show us a different district. It doesn't even have to be city center. An updated view of Watson, perhaps a different portion of it, would be great. Or Heywood. Or Westbrook. Or Santo Domingo, even. It'd certainly give the theorycrafters here plenty to chew on, and it will give the rest of us a better idea of how big the map will be both vertically and horizontally.

This could come in the form of screenshots (how many more screenshots do we need of Pacifica?), or a short ~5-minute story clip or something. Perhaps in a few months.

Last edited:
So, I was wrong. I'll give it to Rawls and others that they were right about V's apartment's location, and I, and supporters of my concept, were wrong.

At least partly, because I made a ton of other analyses that I think were pretty valuable (and correct), so I don't feel completely disappointed. I operated on the set of assumptions that seemed the most probable to me at the time - like that the metro map wouldn't be tilted. Turns out that it is. Also, the river layout is kind of different comparing this map and the metro map - there's no branch of the river shooting off towards Westbrook/Japantown, like on the metro map. At the time it seemed like a reasonable location for Watson, but here it's practically absent (straight, no branches).

So - congrats to you all who guessed this right. What you suggested was actually my first guess too, but then I spent too much time working out the geographical directions and thought that it just doesn't make any sense.

Also, the metro layout made sense for the location I proposed. All the metro lines visible on the metro map were going exactly in the same directions as in all promo shoots, trailers and gameplay videos.
In the location that was currently revealed to be right, the metro lines don't match at all. Weird.

I'll offer my thoughts about the map itself shortly

I'm back.

So, the map seems small. Disappointingly small. I'll copy my comment from Reddit, because I think it's an important observation.

Comment:

"I think the final in-game map will be quite different from this. It’s already different from the part of the map that we could see in the Collectors Edition video.
I think this is just a general layout of the city but it will get more details and will get bigger until release. I really hope so, because so far it looks smaller than the city of Los Santos in GTA 5"

And yeah, I think it's a really important thing that got overlooked a lot. Even in the Collector's Edition vid, a little line of text was written at the bottom that read along the lines of:
"This is just placeholder stuff that is subject to change and most likely won't look the same."

I think they are in fact still modeling and designing the city. A year ago that's what they were doing so I don't think they stopped yet.
I also doubt that they will deliver on time. I predict they will postpone it by 3 months, and then again by another 3 months ultimately delivering in October. That would mean they'd still have almost a year of work in a team much bigger than TW3's team - and think how TW3 changed from May 2014 to May 2015!

Just compare this:
2.jpg

to this:
coiberpunk.png

Quite a substantial change IMO. And I'm not talking about the general topographic boundaries and one major boulevard (that one in red), but about the overall proportions/street layout/building layout
Notice how big the circle is in the bottom right corner on the yellow map and how small it is on the 3D map.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's just another "placeholder map" that is just supposed to somewhat resemble the final, complete look of the map in a COMPRESSED sort of way as a PREVIEW.
That's what I really hope for. We could ask the CDPR devs about it and ask them to promise to make the game larger than this :p

Last edited:
So, I was wrong. I'll give it to Rawls and others that they were right about V's apartment's location, and I, and supporters of my concept, were wrong.

At least partly, because I made a ton of other analyses that I think were pretty valuable (and correct), so I don't feel completely disappointed. I operated on the set of assumptions that seemed the most probable to me at the time - like that the metro map wouldn't be tilted. Turns out that it is. Also, the river layout is kind of different comparing this map and the metro map - there's no branch of the river shooting off towards Westbrook/Japantown, like on the metro map. At the time it seemed like a reasonable location for Watson, but here it's practically absent (straight, no branches).

So - congrats to you all who guessed this right. What you suggested was actually my first guess too, but then I spent too much time working out the geographical directions and thought that it just doesn't make any sense.

Also, the metro layout made sense for the location I proposed. All the metro lines visible on the metro map were going exactly in the same directions as in all promo shoots, trailers and gameplay videos.
In the location that was currently revealed to be right, the metro lines don't match at all. Weird.

I'll offer my thoughts about the map itself shortly

I'm back.

So, the map seems small. Disappointingly small. I'll copy my comment from Reddit, because I think it's an important observation.

Comment:

"I think the final in-game map will be quite different from this. It’s already different from the part of the map that we could see in the Collectors Edition video.
I think this is just a general layout of the city but it will get more details and will get bigger until release. I really hope so, because so far it looks smaller than the city of Los Santos in GTA 5"

And yeah, I think it's a really important thing that got overlooked a lot. Even in the Collector's Edition vid, a little line of text was written at the bottom that read along the lines of:
"This is just placeholder stuff that is subject to change and most likely won't look the same."

I think they are in fact still modeling and designing the city. A year ago that's what they were doing so I don't think they stopped yet.
I also doubt that they will deliver on time. I predict they will postpone it by 3 months, and then again by another 3 months ultimately delivering in October. That would mean they'd still have almost a year of work in a team much bigger than TW3's team - and think how TW3 changed from May 2014 to May 2015!

Just compare this:
View attachment 11022485
to this:
View attachment 11022488

Quite a substantial change IMO. And I'm not talking about the general topographic boundaries and one major boulevard (that one in red), but about the overall proportions/street layout/building layout
Notice how big the circle is in the bottom right corner on the yellow map and how small it is on the 3D map.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's just another "placeholder map" that is just supposed to somewhat resemble the final, complete look of the map in a COMPRESSED sort of way as a PREVIEW.
That's what I really hope for. We could ask the CDPR devs about it and ask them to promise to make the game larger than this :p

I don't really anticipate a delay this time around. They gave themselves a lot of breathing room with that release date.

But who knows.

If they do plan to delay, right around now is the time to announce it. I really don't think it's wise to wait until a game is 2 months out and then delay it by 3 months, then 3 months again.

I believe the city is pretty much finished by now.

I don't really anticipate a delay this time around. They gave themselves a lot of breathing room with that release date.

I don't think so. Don't you remember how they were all like:
"Oh it's not even in alpha stage"
In JUNE 2018??
With such huge of a project, I think there are going to be delays. CDPR are perfectionists (I hope so).

If they do plan to delay, right around now is the time to announce it. I really don't think it's wise to wait until a game is 2 months out and then delay it by 3 months, then 3 months again.
True, we'll see. I don't remember now how long before the official release (October 2014?) they announced the first delay of TW3

I believe the city is pretty much finished by now.
I really hope that it is not AND/OR that the yellow map does not depict the final look of the map.

By the way, here's the map in way better quality and photoshopped to show terrain and water:

1575333015982.png

I don't think so. Don't you remember how they were all like:
"Oh it's not even in alpha stage"
In JUNE 2018??
With such huge of a project, I think there are going to be delays. CDPR are perfectionists (I hope so).

True, we'll see. I don't remember now how long before the official release (October 2014?) they announced the first delay of TW3

I really hope that it is not AND/OR that the yellow map does not depict the final look of the map.

By the way, here's the map in way better quality and photoshopped to show terrain and water:

View attachment 11022491

"The game was originally scheduled for release in late 2014, then pushed back to 24 February 2015, and finally released on 19 May 2015. "

^ Witcher 3 details.

So, a vague 2014 release date.

Not sure how relevant that information is here. We'll see.

Top Bottom