The sheer scale of Night City

+
I think CDPR should respond to this urgently because gaming-related internet is literally burning right now, lol.

Last edited:
I think CDPR should respond to this urgently because gaming-related internet is literally burning right now, lol.
Hah, yeah, map size has always been a point of contention throughout the fanbase.

Several CDPR faithfuls, including a few users here, will be pleased with whatever they get and think the disappointment is unwarranted, but I'm certainly in the opposite camp now. Before, eh, didn't care as much, but as more details about the game come out, the world itself has become a bigger priority, since it sounds like the gameplay and mechanics won't really be as good as I'd hoped.

I'm hoping that the dinky little portion off to the top right isn't actually a full district...

I'm gonna try to measure the width/length of a single megabuilding in Cyberpunk 2077 now. Basing my calculations on the fact that the height is roughly 480 meters, I'm gonna calculate the rest from proportions.

I already pinpointed locations of several megabuildings in Night City from the map. Check this out:

1575334926108.png

I'm certainly in the opposite camp now.

I'm still hyped about the game because I still believe that this might be just a preview/placeholder map and nothing certain.
Post automatically merged:

I'm hoping that the dinky little portion off to the top right isn't actually a full district...

What I'm hoping is that the entire district of Pacifica won't turn out to be JUST A SINGLE FREAKIN STREET !!
THATS RIDICULOUS!

Last edited:
I'm gonna try to measure the width/length of a single megabuilding in Cyberpunk 2077 now. Basing my calculations on the fact that the height is roughly 480 meters, I'm gonna calculate the rest from proportions.

I already pinpointed locations of several megabuildings in Night City from the map. Check this out:

View attachment 11022497

I'm still hyped about the game because I still believe that this might be just a preview/placeholder map and nothing certain.
Post automatically merged:

What I'm hoping is that the entire district of Pacifica won't turn out to be JUST A SINGLE FREAKIN STREET !!
THATS RIDICULOUS!

Hmm... That's a good point. We already know Pacifica isn't just one street as we've seen plenty of alleyways and such, so maybe theres more here that isn't marked.

Does it look like there could be more to you? As if the top part is cut off?

I doubt CDPR would have such a sharp cutoff. I think they said the "barriers" would be off in the badlands and such. Cutting off part of the city itself seems like a bad idea from an immersion standpoint.

1575336705350.png

Last edited:
I'm not worried about NC's size. Though the in-game city is highly likely finished (since the game is releasing soon), I think the map on this cover is just a more simplified and zoomed out version of it, with certain iconic landmarks (such as the Corpo Plaza and the big stadium in Pacifica) enlarged and stressed more than the others - making the city appear smaller than it actually is.

I'm not worried about NC's size. Though the in-game city is highly likely finished (since the game is releasing soon), I think the map on this cover is just a more simplified and zoomed out version of it, with certain iconic landmarks (such as the Corpo Plaza and the big stadium in Pacifica) enlarged and stressed more than the others - making the city appear smaller than it actually is.
Definitely a possibility.

All the hopeful speculations.... you guys seriously need to finally accept the fact that the map is very small horizontally. Especially since the CDPR guys are hinting 'Don't expect as big as the witcher' pretty much at every opportunity so far. You can already see all the six district in the map and both the demo has already been traced on top of that, even if there's a cut off, it won't get much bigger.

Now if the badlands turns out to be massive just for the sake of boasting a number, then that's another case. But NC itself will be pretty small horizontally.

All the hopeful speculations.... you guys seriously need to finally accept the fact that the map is very small horizontally. Especially since the CDPR guys are hinting 'Don't expect as big as the witcher' pretty much at every opportunity so far. You can already see all the six district in the map and both the demo has already been traced on top of that, even if there's a cut off, it won't get much bigger.

Now if the badlands turns out to be massive just for the sake of boasting a number, then that's another case. But NC itself will be pretty small horizontally.
I don't know if I'd say it's hopeful speculation, so much as being open to other possibilities. And they said it's a "bit smaller" than the Witcher 3 horizontally, not "much smaller" or "A lot smaller" or even just "smaller." So I don't know that we can really draw any decent conclusions from their words just yet.

What I want to know is how the map is measured, and what scale that world book preview is. Is Night City the size of Novigrad, just vertical? 2 Novigrads? 10? 500? No idea.

Without any sort of way to actually measure the distance of the map, all of this, positive or negative, is just relatively baseless speculation. We have no context. I sure wish we did. It's another reason I'm annoyed by the heavily-edited 15 minute "demo." If we'd had time to acclimate to the UI and things like distance traveled between objectives, landmarks, vehicles used, etc., we'd be so much better equipped here. (And no, I don't think the 2018 demo is that helpful, since things like movement speed and perhaps even how meters are used could have changed).

One more thing to keep in mind: even if the map is properly scaled, it is still quite large. We've seen Westbrook's famous cluster in 2018's demo - it was massive in-game, yet is but a small blip on this map. Adding verticality and Badlands to all this and I believe it's large enough.

20191203_092327.jpg

One more thing to keep in mind: even if the map is properly scaled, it is still quite large. We've seen Westbrook's famous cluster in 2018's demo - it was massive in-game, yet is but a small blip on this map. Adding verticality and Badlands to all this and I believe it's large enough.

View attachment 11022521
So we're 100% certain that this cluster is Westbrook and not City Center?

I remember there was quite the debate about that a few months ago, but I haven't been around for a while.

If so, that's reassuring. It means we still haven't seen the full scale of City Center's buildings yet (I think? correct me if I'm wrong).

@Snowflakez

While not officially confirmed, it is pretty much a given by now that it's Westbrook (in my opinion, of course).

The layout of the river canals and bridges accompanies that, with the map from Collector's Edition confirming it (it showed Watson, Little China and Corpo Plaza). While all "still in the works", there are clues which point to all of this.

There was also a topic on reddit where another user found a small map of Japantown from CP Artbook that comes with the CE and it perfectly overlays with the the map above, where we presume Westbrook is - and we expect Japantown to be in japanese oriented Westbrook. Additionally, the compass and metro map point at Westbrook being East of Watson.

The City Centre, being South of Watson, is the cluster we see before the car chase in the 2018's demo. We never get to see Corpo Plaza (our POV is too low at that point), but is likely burried deep behind that cluster.

@Snowflakez

While not officially confirmed, it is pretty much a given by now that it's Westbrook (in my opinion, of course).

The layout of the river canals and bridges accompanies that, with the map from Collector's Edition confirming it (it showed Watson, Little China and Corpo Plaza). While all "still in the works", there are clues which point to all of this.

There was also a topic on reddit where another user found a small map of Japantown from CP Artbook that comes with the CE and it perfectly overlays with the the map above, where we presume Westbrook is - and we expect Japantown to be in japanese oriented Westbrook. Additionally, the compass and metro map point at Westbrook being East of Watson.

The City Centre, being South of Watson, is the cluster we see before the car chase in the 2018's demo. We never get to see Corpo Plaza (our POV is too low at that point), but is likely burried deep behind that cluster.
Good enough for me!

I of course wasn't asking for CDPR confirmation, just curious where we as a community were at in regards to the mapping, so that's good news.

Glad to hear it's probably Westbrook, and I'm aware of the Reddit post you're talking about with the Japantown overlay.

Good enough for me!

I of course wasn't asking for CDPR confirmation, just curious where we as a community were at in regards to the mapping, so that's good news.

Glad to hear it's probably Westbrook, and I'm aware of the Reddit post you're talking about with the Japantown overlay.

Understood mate, just said it out of precaution. :)

It will be quite a game world for sure!

I'm one of those who holds the theory that the famous skyscraper cluster we've seen several times is most likely a part of Westbrook (Japan Town apparently), but I do not think that's the whole of Westbrook. I curently believe that JT probably consists of 50% of the district, if not less.

There's still more to see from the map, especially towards the north (where the rest of Watson and Westbrook lie), so personally I don't share people's concerns about the size. And based on what I've seen on both the screenshots and the post on 2077's subreddit about JT's map, JT looks big enough already, close to or even larger than Downtown Los Santos (keeping with GTA V's comparisons) at first glance, to my eyes at least.

(For the record, IMHO I consider GTA V's map as anything but small, even for a game with a big emphasis on fast driving.)

All of our speculations, though, will be cleared when they reveal the actual whole ingame map. I've been enjoying guessing which part of the map is which, how big or small they are, how far or near they're to certain points of reference, etc., but this piece of the map is not the definitive answer to our questions.

The real semi-concern I hold now is about the "tallness" of City Center. If Corpo Plaza is that close to Watson then we should’ve been able to see its skyscrapers in the 2018 demo, I believe. It might not be taller than Japan Town it seems.

Last edited:
I'm one of those who holds the theory that the famous skyscraper cluster we've seen several times is most likely a part of Westbrook (Japan Town apparently), but I do not think that's the whole of Westbrook. I curently believe that JT probably consists of 50% of the district, if not less.

There's still more to see from the map, especially towards the north (where the rest of Watson and Westbrook lie), so personally I don't share people's concerns about the size. And based on what I've seen on both the screenshots and the post on 2077's subreddit about JT's map, JT looks big enough already, close to or even larger than Downtown Los Santos (keeping with GTA V's comparisons) at first glance, to my eyes at least.

(For the record, IMHO I consider GTA V's map as anything but small, even for a game with a big emphasis on fast driving.)

All of our speculations, though, will be cleared when they reveal the actual whole ingame map. I've been enjoying guessing which part of the map is which, how big or small they are, how far or near they're to certain points of reference, etc., but this piece of the map is not the definitive answer to our questions.

The real semi-concern I hold now is about the "tallness" of City Center. If Corpo Plaza is that close to Watson then we should’ve been able to see its skyscrapers in the 2018 demo, I believe. It might not be taller than Japan Town it seems.
I rewatched the bridge scene of the 2018 gameplay a few minutes ago and tried to compare it to the map on the book cover as I always thought the skyscrapers seen there are part of the City Center.
What I noticed was the big rock/mountain you can see between two of those skyscrapers.

Now I have no idea anymore where the the 3rd person camera view from the car was on the map.

1.5 years old build man. It's entirely possible that they hadn't even started building the Corpo Plaza at that time.

I rewatched the bridge scene of the 2018 gameplay a few minutes ago and tried to compare it to the map on the book cover as I always thought the skyscrapers seen there are part of the City Center.
What I noticed was the big rock/mountain you can see between two of those skyscrapers.

Now I have no idea anymore where the the 3rd person camera view from the car was on the map.

I think it’s from here:

cyberpunk2077-japantown-from-watson.jpg

The yellow circle is V’s and Jackie’s location, and the colored area of the map is the area of Japan Town that’s visible from there. The hills are to the east of JT, where the map shows several meandering roads (roads that, by the way, give me the impression of a Hollywood Hills type of place, given the location and the district’s description.)

Mmm, seems probable, although I believe right now that Corpo Plaza might be actually a bit more to the right from there (that is, the buildings behind the ones on the right half of this screenshot, starting from the one with the big "Greaser" sign), those buildings you pointed out might be from Heywood instead.

1.5 years old build man. It's entirely possible that they hadn't even started building the Corpo Plaza at that time.

True, that’s a possibility.

-----

All of this is mere conjecture from my part, mind you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom