The sheer scale of Night City

+
It’s certainly a factor.

But I think the center of it is what all you, the player can do there. Visual stimulants can only last for so long.
To that end, I think we'll both be disappointed (or nonplussed, as disappointment implies expectations), so I figure I might as well waste my time speculating on map size and scale here instead.

Some stimulus is better than none.

To that end, I think we'll both be disappointed (or nonplussed, as disappointment implies expectations), so I figure I might as well waste my time speculating on map size and scale here instead.

Some stimulus is better than none.

Yeah, well. A normal action adventure with not much interactivity to speak of is what I expect, so ”disappointment” is indeed out of the list. Disheartenment over wasted potential however...

The size of the map as an isolated issue does nothing, really, to me. The idea of squaremileage or km^2 kinda has associations beyond vistas and traveltimes, those two are just empty ideas alone. Although it (the map) being one singular element, it implies some heeeavy compression, which, in turn, affects the ”feel” of the place (i.e. compare the ”idea” of Night City versus what we’ll be getting... a bustling futuristic metropol versus a stylistic high tech town).

Yeah, well. A normal action adventure with not much interactivity to speak of is what I expect, so ”disappointment” is indeed out of the list. Disheartenment over wasted potential however...

The size of the map as an isolated issue does nothing, really, to me. The idea of squaremileage or km^2 kinda has associations beyond vistas and traveltimes, those two are just empty ideas alone. Although it (the map) being one singular element, it implies some heeeavy compression, which, in turn, affects the ”feel” of the place (i.e. compare the ”idea” of Night City versus what we’ll be getting... a bustling futuristic metropol versus a stylistic high tech town).
Yeah, the feel is what I'm referring to. This is why I care about this issue.

At this point (sadly), there's little about the game that truly excites or interests me, but the "feel" of exploring what I hope to be a dense and believable futuristic city is still something I look forward to. Hence, I'm back and mostly hanging out in this thread. I'm pretty tired of the usual gameplay/mechanics discussions now. Maybe for the next CDPR game.

I don't care about the size alone, but it's what the size implies or brings with it. If the city is large, perhaps a bit smaller than Velen+Novigrad in the Witcher 3, I think we will have a lot of interesting areas to explore and atmosphere to take in. Short of in-depth gameplay and interactivity, this is at least something new that few other games do (not even GTA V or 4 had cities as apparently large and dense as this).

If it's very small, as you said, it will feel compressed and that will negatively impact the feel. As much as I want to believe Rawls' opinions on the map size are accurate, there are too many things that make me feel otherwise, and I think the map size will be much closer to what we saw on the World Book map.

So... We'll see. I care about the map size insofar as it affects my suspension of disbelief. As its own thing, as a number on a piece of paper or as a point of bragging/comparison between other games, I don't care at all. But if this city doesn't impress me, I have zero interest in playing the game.

This is one scenario where reviews (video or written) will be helpful.

I don't care about the size alone, but it's what the size implies or brings with it. If the city is large, perhaps a bit smaller than Velen+Novigrad in the Witcher 3, I think we will have a lot of interesting areas to explore and atmosphere to take in. Short of in-depth gameplay and interactivity, this is at least something new that few other games do (not even GTA V or 4 had cities as apparently large and dense as this).
I'd much prefer a well laid out, scripted, and interactive square block to a massive boring city the size of Los Angeles.

I'd much prefer a well laid out, scripted, and interactive square block to a massive boring city the size of Los Angeles.

As would I, but we already know that's not what we're getting, so I'm simply saying I'll content myself with other things. I'm being realistic. If CDPR isn't going to provide the engaging gameplay mechanics and in-depth interactivity I crave, I hope they at least provide a believable world that doesn't feel overly compressed.

What is it exactly that you hope to find by ”exploration”, if we leave mechanics and mechanics-related things out of it? What kind of rewards do you wish from exploring?

Just out of curiosity.

Nothing whatsoever. It would be a theme park for me. I would probably enjoy whatever content is available in the same way I'd enjoy a good movie. Soaking in the atmosphere and the stories.

The "rewards" would be stumbling upon interesting content, which is the bare minimum I expect from any game, whether it's an RPG or not. I'd be very surprised if Night City doesn't at least deliver on this front.

As would I, but we already know that's not what we're getting, so I'm simply saying I'll content myself with other things
Same, assuming I don't find the combat/driving too "twitchy".
I'm sure there will be a lot to love about CP2077. And I'm pretty sure Night City will be one of them.

What is it exactly that you hope to find by ”exploration”, if we leave mechanics and mechanics-related things out of it? What kind of rewards do you wish from exploring?
Things that make a less-then-savory city (i.e. certain Night City districts) feel "alive".

Pushers hawking their wares.
Pimps hawking other peoples "wares".
A wino in a puddle of vomit muttering to themselves how the world has wronged him/her.
A Corp looking down their nose at the "Insignificant People" (without whom their job wouldn't even exist).
Two street gangs going at it.
Cops chasing someone.
Trauma Team making an extraction.

And on, and on.

Last edited:
You guys are getting worried too much. I believe the yellow map is not a truthful representation and is just a general, simplified look of what the map's gonna be

It's gonna be much denser. Notice the roundabout that makes up the Corporate Plaza. It's much denser and smaller compared to the rest of the map. The pic is taken from two nicely-straightened out high quality pics from the Collectors Edition vid (the author is a Reddit user).

i4YQBIj.gif

Now overlaid on the yellow map:

ezgif-2-105c11691ac2.gif

You see how dense and big it is?

You guys are getting worried too much. I believe the yellow map is not a truthful representation and is just a general, simplified look of what the map's gonna be

It's gonna be much denser. Notice the roundabout that makes up the Corporate Plaza. It's much denser and smaller compared to the rest of the map. The pic is taken from two nicely-straightened out high quality pics from the Collectors Edition vid (the author is a Reddit user).

View attachment 11022944

View attachment 11022947

Hm, yeah, I suppose you're right.

I dunno. I'm thinking back to TW1 and how large the areas were. Not only that, but how many buildings and caves you could explore. This carried over into TW2, and got magnified tenfold in TW3. They're clearly committed to open world design. I'm not too worried about the map size.

View attachment 11022944

View attachment 11022947

The two overlaid pictures cover up a very sizable portion of the city map... probably bigger than some of the smaller districts.
If you think about it, then it doesn't look that big tbh.

The two overlaid pictures cover up a very sizable portion of the city map... probably bigger than some of the smaller districts.
If you think about it, then it doesn't look that big tbh.
I believe the point he was making is that, it will be much bigger when you're actually a single person walking around. From the angle and distance we have, it's kinda hard to picture that.

I still have my suspicions, of course, but that did put some things in perspective.

Nothing whatsoever. It would be a theme park for me. I would probably enjoy whatever content is available in the same way I'd enjoy a good movie. Soaking in the atmosphere and the stories.

The "rewards" would be stumbling upon interesting content, which is the bare minimum I expect from any game, whether it's an RPG or not. I'd be very surprised if Night City doesn't at least deliver on this front.
Things that make a less-then-savory city (i.e. certain Night City districts) feel "alive".

Pushers hawking their wares.
Pimps hawking other peoples "wares".
A wino in a puddle of vomit muttering to themselves how the world has wronged him/her.
A Corp looking down their nose at the "Insignificant People" (without whom their job wouldn't even exist).
Two street gangs going at it.
Cops chasing someone.
Trauma Team making an extraction.

And on, and on.

So, sightseeing.

I can understand that. It has it's purpose in creating the mood.

I'd question, though, how far that alone can take the player.

Admittedly it's impractical to have hours and hours of such content (it'd cost a fortune in terms of development and data volume) but the point is a number of one-time random events to sprinkle throughout the gameplay to make city exploration/traversal at least a bit more interesting. Even in W3 once you'd explored the city it became more of a chore then anything else to traverse it from end to end multiple times while doing various quests.

So, sightseeing.

I can understand that. It has it's purpose in creating the mood.

Yes, in lieu of other things, might as well get some enjoyment out of it.

The more believably-scaled a city is, and the more detailed it is, the better for this purpose.

So... who wants to break down every bit of Night City scenery seen in Grimes’ TGA video? I would but I’m extremely sleepy for that right now :coolstory:

I know I saw the Grand Imperial Mall there, also I think we got to see for the first time how part of City Center’s skyline looks now (I noticed three really tall skyscrapers we haven’t seen before, outside of the artbook preview that is... either skyscrapers or holoads), and Corpo Plaza maybe, but the rest of it didn’t seem recognizable at all. I mean, where did that giant Buddha-like statue came from? o_O

Last edited:
So... who wants to break down every bit of Night City scenery seen in Grimes’ TGA video? I would but I’m extremely sleepy for that right now :coolstory:

I know I saw the Grand Imperial Mall there, also I think we got to see for the first time how part of City Center’s skyline looks now (I noticed three really tall skyscrapers we haven’t seen before, outside of the artbook preview that is... either skyscrapers or holoads), and Corpo Plaza maybe, but the rest of it didn’t seem recognizable at all. I mean, where did that giant Buddha-like statue came from? o_O

"4 AM is a song Grimes teased on June 5, 2018 on Grimes her Twitter account. She described the song as her ethereal chav jam which is a cyberpunk interpretation of the Bollywood film Bajirao Mastani. The song is from the film’s main character, Mastani, her perspective. "

Perhaps something to do with this. Not sure.

2077's twitter page also said the video was 'inspired' by the game's world. So in the video, we perhaps don't see the exact part of NC shown, but more of an artistic representation of the real deal, same way as if we were looking at concept art.

I think we do see those holo-ads, towering into the sky - the same ones as seen in the 2019 Deep dive video. Maybe it's loosely showing us a part of the City Centre and Pacifica in the background? Just toying around with the idea.

2077's twitter page also said the video was 'inspired' by the game's world. So in the video, we perhaps don't see the exact part of NC shown, but more of an artistic representation of the real deal, same way as if we were looking at concept art.

I agree that what they showed there is not Night City itself, just a retextured and stylized version of it. However, judging by what little I saw there I believe the layout, architectural "silhouettes", and similar stuff seen there could be an accurate representation of the "real" 2077 Night City. But I might be wrong, of course.

I agree that what they showed there is not Night City itself, just a retextured and stylized version of it. However, judging by what little I saw there I believe the layout, architectural "silhouettes", and similar stuff seen there could be an accurate representation of the "real" 2077 Night City. But I might be wrong, of course.
Most definitely.

I am intrigued by many details in the music video. We can spot the outsides and insides of the Mall from the Deep Dive video, as well as an Arasaka building. And what is that big statue? Hm...

Top Bottom