The sheer scale of Night City

+
CDPR uploaded that Grimes video again but shows tiny bit more of the city if anyone's interested

Untitled.jpg

Untitled1.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

Untitled3.jpg

Untitled4.jpg

i posted the extra ones anyway but just in case
Post automatically merged:

An attempt was made, so take it with a grain of salt, if we assume that river splits City Center and Heywood
whats traced with white on the red map is traced with black on the yellow map

55.jpg

im not so sure here, i think that chunk of physical map makes city center and watson (little china) bigger than what we have here
its all tiresome
for reference

6.jpg

compare the buildings density on that physical map to the yellow or red ones.. *visible confusion*

----------------------------------------------------

ONE FINAL EDIT

someone on reddit did a much better job so here goes

8.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/ecvsfo

Attachments

• Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    588.3 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
CDPR uploaded that Grimes video again but shows tiny bit more of the city if anyone's interested

View attachment 11024720

View attachment 11024723

View attachment 11024729

View attachment 11024732

View attachment 11024735

An attempt was made, so take it with a grain of salt, if we assume that river splits City Center and Heywood

View attachment 11024771

im not so sure here, i think that chunk of physical map makes city center and watson (little china) bigger than what we have here
its all tiresome
for reference

View attachment 11024774

compare the buildings density on that physical map to the yellow or red ones.. *visible confusion*

ONE FINAL EDIT

View attachment 11024777

You beat me to it, nice job mate!

While still unofficial, I agree with you on how you tagged the districts on the map.

Some of these shots are truly amazing. This particular shot...:
20191219_201923.jpg

made me think of the teaser trailer from 2013:
20191219_202119.jpg

Because the marked street looks pretty narrow and stretches far while uninterrupted. Not to imply that this *is* the street from the 2013 trailer or anything because it very likely isn't for obvious reasons; it just reminded me of it - and it gets me hyped. I really wish for some long narrow streets where you stand on one end and gaze into the other end that's far away, while being surrounded by tall buildings on your left and right, like walls, trapping you.

View attachment 11024720

View attachment 11024723

View attachment 11024729

View attachment 11024732

View attachment 11024735

View attachment 11024771

its all tiresome
for reference

View attachment 11024774

ONE FINAL EDIT

View attachment 11024777

On your map, there is no Santo Domingo. Do you think an entire district is off-screen?

I think two are. Santo Domingo and Westbrook.

I know how you feel about it, but you never did get around to answering my question about why the Japantown matched up so well with the yellow world book map if that district isn't even Westbrook in the first place. If you don't know what I'm talking about I can find the overlayed map someone did, but it's pretty much 1-to-1. The are to the top right of corpo plaza/city center matched up perfectly with Westbrook's Japantown.

Found it:

Regarding the other stuff, it's tricky. In the yellow map, we can justify parts of it being off-screen. Makes sense. In the faded or empty area to the irght, perhaps that was just for artistic reasons.

But now we're seeing it again here (the fade bit to the right). If there was a whole district over there (or multiple!) wouldn't it be lit up like the rest of the map with lights, etc.?

1576788430502.png

I still definitely think parts of the map are cut off, just not nearly as much as you. For example, Pacifica is certainly below. But that makes a bit more sense, because we can clearly see the lit up part down there, it's just not fully exposed, plus we've seen it in other maps.

Attachments

• 1576788560322.png
    1576788560322.png
    697.4 KB · Views: 66
I know how you feel about it, but you never did get around to answering my question about why the Japantown matched up so well with the yellow world book map if that district isn't even Westbrook in the first place.
I don't recall this question, and dont think it matches up particularly well. The area to the right of that canal is clearly labeled Kubaki on the Metro Map, and that matches up what we were shown labeled Kubaki in the 2019 demo. That same demo clearly labels Kubaki as still in Watson. Which means Westbrook is most likely not represented on that map IMO.

This also makes some sense in the Lore, Westbrook and North Oaks were not connected directly to Night City in 2020. So it would make some sense if there was a bit of distance between them and Night City proper.

Last edited:
I don't recall this question, and dont think it matches up particularly well.
Really? I mean no offense, but it looks pretty clear cut to me. Same corpo plaza circle (missing a cross section, though EDIT: nevermind, it's there, just hard to see) and the same road curve and other road layouts.
1576788831144.png

Attachments

• 1576788744858.png
    1576788744858.png
    702.1 KB · Views: 551
Really? I mean no offense, but it looks pretty clear cut to me. Same corpo plaza circle (missing a cross section, though EDIT: nevermind, it's there, just hard to see) and the same road curve and other road layouts.
Huh. Hadn't seen the thing labeled Japan Town before. I assume that's from somewhere in the Grimes video? Fair enough. Unclear about how the metro map fits in now though.

Huh. Hadn't seen the thing labeled Japan Town before. I assume that's from somewhere in the Grimes video? Fair enough. Unclear about how the metro map fits in now though.

Not from the Grimes video, I believe it's from the Deep Dive video, the part where the map zooms.

If anything i am a little disappointed with the height of the buildings. They seem pretty normal to RL standards at this point.
I was low key hoping for the city center to look something akin to this
tony-skeor-02-am-s.jpg

Now, of course, the 365th floors is a bit ridiculous, but t least something out of the ordinary would be ok.
Though i am sure once we stand there in the first person and look up it will be amazing.
This game needs to run on current gen after all.

If anything i am a little disappointed with the height of the buildings. They seem pretty normal to RL standards at this point.
I was low key hoping for the city center to look something akin to this
View attachment 11024825
Now, of course, the 365th floors is a bit ridiculous, but t least something out of the ordinary would be ok.
Though i am sure once we stand there in the first person and look up it will be amazing.
This game needs to run on current gen after all.
As was I. And the initial 2012 trailer gave me hope that this is what we'd be seeing -- again, not quite that ridiculous, but yeah.

Unfortunately, nope. Guess we'll have to wait for Cyberpunk 2188 in 7 years. Unless they decide to do a prequel, which would only be worse in this regard.

Just a thought, that map of Japan Town is obviously taken from the artbook
however, that same artbook explicitly says japan town is the richest part of Watson which remains unexplained
could be a typo, but hey.... idk

View attachment 11024834

Huh, you're right...

The image at the bottom left is the Japantown thing I was referring to. I thought it was from the Deep Dive video, maybe not? Maybe all of that IS Watson? Or maybe this artbook bit should just be ignored entirely and @Rawls could still be right?

I have no bloody clue. So many inconsistencies from CDPR. Granted, we're picking over a lot of little details, so the fault is not theirs alone (plus, they probably didn't write this book).

Not from the Grimes video, I believe it's from the Deep Dive video, the part where the map zooms.
Yeah the original source is this frame from the CE Unboxing which also said Japan Town was in Watson. So ... ? Maybe they called Kabuki Japan Town? Maybe they called Westbrook Watson? Something was wrong though. Could go either way. Or be something else entirely that was wrong.

japantown.png

I can't really see the roads either on this source (or even read Japan Town ... but I can tell it's two words), but I only have a 1080p screen, so that could be the issue.

Last edited:
Exactly what @StereoFlava and @Snowflakez have mentioned - it's not just that the city feels too small horizontally. It also feels small *vertically*. The buildings look frickin short.

Im seriously hoping its just an unofficial render for a music video and not an accurate representation of Night City. If Night City was as dense and as tall as here:

Then I'd be okay with that. Please, so be it

Night City.png

I believe the cluster on the left is City Center. This is the view of Night City from the newest "4AEM" video, which is more high-res than an earlier, similar shot from TGA.

Why must it be City Center?
Notice the holographic ads shooting up into the sky. We can see them in various shots from various demos, and they always seem to be located in City Center.

It's also the place with the tallest buildings, as you can see.

If really this turns out to be the maximum height of the buildings in Night City, then I'll be really disappointed

Night City.png

Highlighted my assumptions. What do y'all think?

Last edited:
A few things I noticed in this more detailed version of 4ÆM’s video:
  • Japan Town looks like it’s located in either an island or a peninsula.
  • Some previously-unseen buildings. For instance, I noticed a "new" horizontal double skyscraper spanning both banks of the canal between City Center and Japan Town. In the World of Cyberpunk 2077 cover map, it originally looked to me like tunnels or pipelines.
  • There seems to be some roads on top of other roads and buildings in some parts of the city, like the one surrounding the Buddha-like statue... Hey, that looked interesting to me at least :LOL:
  • It’s hard to really tell but, at first glance and to my non-expert eyes (I’m no civil engineer), City Center seems to be as horizontally big as 25%-35% of GTA V’s Los Santos city; the Corpo Plaza ring and half of Japan Town seem to cover an area similar to Downtown LS each. I used this map and this other one as references. If that were the case, I’d say Night City proper (i.e. the 6 districts combined) has a 35%-50% bigger area than LS city, but I could be wrong of course.
  • (No idea about the Badlands, but my guess is that they’re similarly sized to Night City.)
  • Arasaka HQ seems to be about 40% taller than the average megabuilding. How many floors could it have in total? 100, 120 perhaps?

I’m not completely sure but I think that view is from Pacifica. Notice the roller coaster on the bottom left corner.

Last edited:
It's also the place with the tallest buildings, as you can see.

If really this turns out to be the maximum height of the buildings in Night City, then I'll be really disappointed

Me too, but what if it extends down further? See:

1576816186629.png

There was a shot in the 2018 demo that suggested there's quite a few more "layers" to the city than it first appears.

Perhaps that's the case here.

Or perhaps that's wishful thinking.

Do we get any view of the ground in this shot? Or anything that should be very close to the ground? I can't tell.

If this is really the ground right here:

1576816300308.png

...Then yeah, that really sucks for height. As you said I hope it's unofficial if that's the case. We keep being told how we shouldn't worry about horizontal size because the map is so VERTICAL, and did you hear that it's VERTICAL, and that there's VERTICALITY, also guess what, the map is SUPER DUPER VERTICAL! If that turns out to not quite be the case, sad day.

True, it could actually be Pacifica, but then that means the view would have to be mirrored

Night City (1).png

And then it looks pretty convincing. But then there's this weird thing sticking out in between two skyscraper clusters - it looks like a bridge to me, but there is none in Pacifica.

50/50, the foreground is either Westbrook or Pacifica.
One thing is sure - the main skyscraper cluster is City Center

True, it could actually be Pacifica, but then that means the view would have to be mirrored

View attachment 11024858

And then it looks pretty convincing. But then there's this weird thing sticking out in between two skyscraper clusters - it looks like a bridge to me, but there is none in Pacifica.

How are we so sure that's CIty Center?

https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?attachments/untitled-jpg.11024720/

There's holographic ads here. There's the Arasaka building. Is the Arasaka building in city center based on previous information? Is there more than one (probably)? If so what about the shape?

View attachment 11024858

No need to flip the video’s screenshot. Compare it to this image:

cyberpunk-2077-city-center-from-pacifica.jpg

I believe the megabuilding seen in this image is the same one on the left side of the screenshot (the non-flipped one), and the holographic billboard here is the leftmost one on the screenshot. But as always, I might be wrong, this is simply what I think things probably are.

Last edited:
Top Bottom