The sheer scale of Night City

+
Simplified version, angled the way V sees it:

1580245382898.png

It's obvious now that the map is only a vague depiction and the actual city will be far denser.

hey everyone, completely new poster here in the forums. i have no idea why i didn’t post my maps here in first place. been a long time reddit user and have been posting my map illustrations there.

i designed the black/blue map of night city that was just posted here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/eu3tqg
you guys are awesome! so many people coming together to try and figure out where everything is at in this game... i love it.

i am already working on a possible small update to map v.03 and hope to fix some stuff.

in the meantime, check out my bare bones map and the labeled map of course. i tried to best illustrate the path of the demo from a year ago but i’m not 100% how spot on it is. please let me know if you want me to add anything.

next up i’ll be adding more accurate representation of the neighborhoods as i found out by another user here that a thumbnail exists showing off the regions. i was also shown the area where “japan town” lies.

i plan on being as accurate as humanly possible on this thing over time!

It must be where I located it because it's the only corner that allows for a roughly S-W perspective overlooking the highway and its bend behind.

And it must simultaneously be at the northwestern corner of the lightwell. And given that the distance from V's window and the light well is roughly 23 meters, the base of the megabuilding must be at least 20 meters narrower at the bottom than the top.

Meaning that the highway could also be one of those that pass under the megabuilding. Specifically the one running northwest to southeast.

[edit]: Quick and dirty location of the road that I'm talking about; [edit 2.0]: Made a better one.
road.jpg

Last edited:
And it must simultaneously be at the northwestern corner of the lightwell. And given that the distance from V's window and the light well is roughly 23 meters, the base of the megabuilding must be at least 20 meters narrower at the bottom than the top.

Meaning that the highway could also be one of those that pass under the megabuilding. Specifically the one running northwest to southeast.

The geographic directions wouldn't match if so
Post automatically merged:

Closer look at the original map

Last edited:
The geographic directions wouldn't match if so

Closer look at the original map

Let's run down what do know;

1) The elevator is due northwest from V's apartment door.
2) The highway runs underneath V's megabuilding.
3) The highway runs southish and then bends to the westwards.
4) The highway has pipes running underneath it.
5) When V exists her megabuilding due south, Jackie can be seen standing under what would initially appear to be the same highway.

[edit]: Noticed something more.

At timestamp 12:12, you can see the pipes running under the highway, a Nicola ad above an orange roofed building with gray vents or ACs.

At timestamp 12:50, you can see the NCPD building, with orange roof, gray vents/AC and above it, a Nicola ad.

And finally at timestamp 13:13, you can see the highway once more, turning to the west and finally to the south again.

Last edited:
Let's run down what do know;

1) The elevator is due northwest from V's apartment door.
2) The highway runs underneath V's megabuilding.
3) The highway runs southish and then bends to the westwards.
4) The highway has pipes running underneath it.
5) When V exists her megabuilding due south, Jackie can be seen standing under what would initially appear to be the same highway.

[edit]: Noticed something more.

At timestamp 12:12, you can see the pipes running under the highway, a Nicola ad above an orange roofed building with gray vents or ACs.

At timestamp 12:50, you can see the NCPD building, with orange roof, gray vents/AC and above it, a Nicola ad.

And finally at timestamp 13:13, you can see the highway once more, turning to the west and finally to the south again.

The location of the elevator on the map of the city isn't important at all xD What is more important is the location of the entire highway itself. And I think we can both agree that I pinpointed its location accurately on the map. It makes an S-shape and all that

The location of the elevator on the map of the city isn't important at all xD What is more important is the location of the entire highway itself. And I think we can both agree that I pinpointed its location accurately on the map. It makes an S-shape and all that

Well, actually, it is significant. In so far, as it proves that the map does not fit the territory. It's placement proves that the highway does not go around the megabuilding, but underneath it's wider top. And we can also see that it goes straight due south, quite unlike the map.

Is it obvious? I'm not so sure.

All you need to do, is to look at the map and corresponding identifiable buildings in the walkthrough video and it is plain as day, that not only is the city in the game much denser, but that the roads on the map do not correspond to the ones in the video.

Well, actually, it is significant. In so far, as it proves that the map does not fit the territory. It's placement proves that the highway does not go around the megabuilding, but underneath it's wider top. And we can also see that it goes straight due south, quite unlike the map.

All you need to do, is to look at the map and corresponding identifiable buildings in the walkthrough video and it is plain as day, that not only is the city in the game much denser, but that the roads on the map do not correspond to the ones in the video.
The roads I agree with. It's clear there are a lot more side streets than we see on these vague maps.

But "denser"? That implies more buildings, no? I haven't examined this as closely as some of you, so perhaps there are clearer examples to be seen, but the last few pages haven't convinced me that there are loads more buildings than there are on the map.

The roads I agree with. It's clear there are a lot more side streets than we see on these vague maps.

But "denser"? That implies more buildings, no? I haven't examined this as closely as some of you, so perhaps there are clearer examples to be seen, but the last few pages haven't convinced me that there are loads more buildings than there are on the map.

There is a big gray blob of nothingness in front of V's megabuilding whereas in the 48 minute gameplay vid we can see it's an extremely dense Times-Squareish place.

I shared a link to the original map which shows the highway pass very closely by the megabuilding, which doesnt exclude the possibility of passing underneath the wider side of the megabuilding.
I agree with you that the elevator is not placed in the corner where I placed it, but I don't think it's placed in any corner. I think it's placed by the side of the megabuilding, but that honestly doesn't matter all that much, it's just a matter of a few dozen meters.

But "denser"? That implies more buildings, no?
Check this one then.
Blue Night City_LI(3).jpg

I count 5 buildings on the Northern City Center shoreline within what would be V's view in the demo (you can only see one of the bridges to the right). Check the actual view:
NC Canal1.png

I mean there's a couple layers of buildings in that view. But it definitely looks a like more buildings than the map depiction IMO. Admittedly it's a bit hard to tell since one view is birds eye and the other is on the ground, but I do think there is something to those asserting the map we've seen is less dense than the actual city in game. Regardless, it definitely feels different, even if it isn't.

I think that view actually represents about half of the area you highlighted on the map, notice the bridge on the right edge of the screenshot and compare its position to the one on the map.

[...] the last few pages haven't convinced me that there are loads more buildings than there are on the map.

A valid concern, I agree. The city on the whole might not be as dense as some people might like it to be for realism sake, and we’re not even sure how many of the building are actually explorable in the first place. If I were a betting man, I’d say only around 10% of all buildings are enterable and explorable, and of course a 60-story building won’t have all of its 60 floors freely available to explore.

On the bright side, though, the city looks like it is quite dense but only in certain places, like City Center, Japan Town and some areas in Watson. Plus, ~10% of this city’s buildings is still a lot of content anyway (if it actually were ~10%). And that’s not counting alleyways, sewers, and such.

I’m actually concerned that, with this much explorable area, the writing and art teams might not be able to "catch up" and have enough interesting stories and sights to make many parts of the map worth exploring more than once. But we’ll see when the game releases.

I’m actually concerned that, with this much explorable area, the writing and art teams might not be able to "catch up" and have enough interesting stories and sights to make many parts of the map worth exploring more than once. But we’ll see when the game releases.

That isn't really a concern for me, frankly. I can see why you would feel that way, but their team is quite large now, and after seeing how their design process works (noclip doc for Witcher games, very very good I recommend it if you haven't seen it yet), I feel confident it'll be very content rich. I anticipate comparatively little "empty" space, empty in the sense that there's nothing to see or do there.

I think that view actually represents about half of the area you highlighted on the map, notice the bridge on the right edge of the screenshot and compare its position to the one on the map.

A valid concern, I agree. The city on the whole might not be as dense as some people might like it to be for realism sake, and we’re not even sure how many of the building are actually explorable in the first place. If I were a betting man, I’d say only around 10% of all buildings are enterable and explorable, and of course a 60-story building won’t have all of its 60 floors freely available to explore.

On the bright side, though, the city looks like it is quite dense but only in certain places, like City Center, Japan Town and some areas in Watson. Plus, ~10% of this city’s buildings is still a lot of content anyway (if it actually were ~10%). And that’s not counting alleyways, sewers, and such.

Does it matter how dense or how big the map or how explorable the map is if the game offers 50 hour of content?

RDR2 had massive map, most of the time you just rode, cutsenes, little bit of shooting, meet some npcs, shoot again, cutscene, a bit of minigame, and back to cutscenes again.

I think if Cyberpunk can offer something different, its just good. Yeah, Ive said ti before, but if we could call NPCs to us for example, that would be nice gameplay-twist. Or as for exploration, we could explore Night City's advertisement etc. instead of driving from location ot another, you could slow down and look the ads, maybe theres something interesting.

Last edited:
I know. That's what I said. About 5 buildings.

Does it matter how dense or how big the map or how explorable the map is if the game offers 50 hour of content?

Good point. And it also depends on the content: an experience a la Dragon Age: Inquisition's Hinterlands (i.e. a time sink with lots of filler-ish, MMO-like content), or a la RDR2 as you mentioned (disclaimer: I haven't played it yet), can be mindnumbing and/or forgettable, but not so much with CDPR's approach to level and quest designs.

I know. That's what I said. About 5 buildings.

D'oh! You're right, sorry :facepalm:That's what happens to me when I write under the influence of the greek god Morpheus :LOL:

Last edited:
That's the last thing i would be worried about tbh, they have an entire team so-called "the open world team" which is responsible for making the open world feel alive and rich with encounters and stuff to do and this doesn't involve your bigger sidequests.

Good point. And it also depends on the content: an experience a la Dragon Age: Inquisition's Hinterlands (i.e. a time sink with lots of filler-ish, MMO-like content), or a la RDR2 as you mentioned (disclaimer: I haven't played it yet), can be mindnumbing and/or forgettable, but not so much with CDPR's approach to level and quest designs.

I hope they dont do MMO-content theres so many game series already doing it, Borderlands, Division, Destiny etc. So many.

Top Bottom