The sheer scale of Night City

+

So, at first glance the Badlands seem to cover an area roughly around half the size of the map, if not more :think: And the larger mountains will apparently work as the map limits, judging by their position.

TheNeonArcade pointed out that you can see the city in the background in the exact frame of the thumnail above^. seems like the badlands will be pretty vast themselves.

Looks like my old prediction may not be totally crazy about the size of the badlands?

Night City 4.png

Just useful for orientation. And it might help the people trying to pinpoint that highway

I think that the concept art book we saw that said “Japantown” was part of watson was talking about Kabuki and that something got changed in development leading to a separate Japantown in Westbrook. so that little thumbnail image that said “japantown” that people were overlaying the skyscraper cluster across the water to the east of Vs apartment IS actually Kabuki and therefore Watson per the cinematic trailer.

I have no real clue what district that is south of the city center but I think its ridiculous to think there is good reason for it to be Heywood, no way. If it isn’t Westbrook it is santa domingo.

I am a little disappointed with the south east outskirts of the map, hopefully whatever that is south of pacifica is suburban.

So, at first glance the Badlands seem to cover an area roughly around half the size of the map, if not more :think: And the larger mountains will apparently work as the map limits, judging by their position.

I wonder... There is a Turri road southeast of Morro Bay in Los Osos valley, could the Fury Road anniversary serve dual purpose here, as a obvious reference to the nomads, but also a pun about Turri road that hints at the location of the depicted scene.

With topography similar to what we see here, though I haven't been able to find a fully corresponding location in either Los Osos valley nor Chorro valley. Though I have a few candidates.

However, due to the position of the Sun - to the right when viewing the pale shadow of Night City's skyline - and since the game's topography seems to match real world topography atleast roughly; One can with a degree of confidence state that the .gif is shot in the ingame version of Los Osos valley.

Furthermore the vista towards Night City is quite flat, dark and bluish, indicating water. This would correspond to the reservoir of the Santo Domingo Dam. Which you would overlook from the hills near Turri road.

I wonder... There is a Turri road southeast of Morro Bay in Los Osos valley, could the Fury Road anniversary serve dual purpose here, as a obvious reference to the nomads, but also a pun about Turri road that hints at the location of the depicted scene.
Yeah I think it's South/South West of the city. But that's mostly a guess.

Yeah I think it's South/South West of the city. But that's mostly a guess.

If the game map doesn't correspond to real geography, perhaps. But if it does, the next mountains southwest of the city would be Havai'i.

I did some quick and dirty calculations;

If we assume that the map does correspond on a 1:1 scale to the actual Morro Bay, which is seems to. And that my theory of the timely pun is correct; One can estimate the size of the map to be at least 55-60km^2 or ~23 miles^2, this in the case that Turri road is at the easternmost edge of the map.

If the game map doesn't correspond to real geography, perhaps.
It's not a 1 for 1, though it does seem to be loosely based on Morro Bay. Based on some of the fan made 3D models and the map that was on the deluxe book we saw last November, it looks like the land South of Morro Bay stretches more to the West than it does in current day Morro Bay.

1589644202085.png

It's not a 1 for 1, though it does seem to be loosely based on Morro Bay. Based on some of the fan made 3D models and the map that was on the deluxe book we saw last November, it looks like the land South of Morro Bay stretches more to the West than it does in current day Morro Bay.

I don't think it actually stretches any more westward than the coast in real life. My hypothesis is that Pacifica reaches only halfway down the southern bank of the bay. This is because the maps that we have don't feature Morro Rock, which would be a visible landmark if Watson went north enough.

And since Pacifica on the map goes west only as far as Watson does, you can guesstimate how west Pacifica goes by looking at the rough topography of Watson and the north bank of the actual bay.

someone posted on reddit, the flat surface might be ocean or maybe some kind of wall ? https://i.redd.it/adeg6jl349z41.jpg

Judging by Night City's skyline there (notice the angle of Arasaka HQ and the giants holo-ads, plus the lack of both Pacifica and the Orbital Air island on said skyline) I'd say the car is actually somewhere either northeast or, most likely, southeast of the city. Plus, the bay west of the city should look larger.

But yeah, the theory shown on that image could be true.

Last edited:
Judging by Night City's skyline there (notice the angle of Arasaka HQ and the giants holo-ads, plus the lack of both Pacifica and the Orbital Air island on said skyline) I'd say the car is actually somewhere either northeast or, most likely, southeast of the city. Plus, the bay west of the city should look larger.

But yeah, the theory shown on that image could be true.
Could be afternoon in the gif so the south west location suggested on reddit could be correct.

Could be afternoon in the gif so the south west location suggested on reddit could be correct.

If it's afternoon or later, the sun would be in the western sky and therefor the location of the scene would be due east of Night City.

Also the closer to midday it is in the clip, the further north the scene must be. However judging from the lenght of the shadows, it is likely late-afternoon to early evening. Or it's late morning to early noon, and the scene is way aways northwest.

Top Bottom