The sheer scale of Night City

+
I don't think LS is anywhere near this big, though someone should tweet CDPR regarding this info before jumping into conclusions

As much as I want a gigantic map which most games has spoiled us to this in open world games nowadays. Give me more things to do than I can comprehend and I'm fine with that. Had a blast with small maps as long as I can be entertained in them.
Prey (2017) was set on a space station located in a Lagrange point between Earth and Moon. It was open world-ish somewhere in the middle of the game, and it wasn't something you could call big or massive. Still, that world was open enough and filled with all sorts of areas and locations and sectors you could explore (or not) for hours and hours, including some solid quests, immersion and not feeling fatigued with all the running around.

Given all the claims about the density of Night City, I guess it is going to be the same, but on a larger scale and more diverse in terms of all sorts of stuff. The good thing is, Prey (2017) was big and dense enough to be fun as a disaster spot, while Night City is likely to be big enough for the player to have all they fun they want IF they choose to dive deep.

What I dig so far the most though is the presence of both populated and not-so-populated areas in the game. I really wonder how different the quest design will be based on the environment. Man, I already feel sorry for all the games I'll miss out while exploring nothing but Night City.

Prey (2017) was set on a space station located in a Lagrange point between Earth and Moon. It was open world-ish somewhere in the middle of the game, and it wasn't something you could call big or massive. Still, that world was open enough and filled with all sorts of areas and locations and sectors you could explore (or not) for hours and hours, including some solid quests, immersion and not feeling fatigued with all the running around.

Given all the claims about the density of Night City, I guess it is going to be the same, but on a larger scale and more diverse in terms of all sorts of stuff. The good thing is, Prey (2017) was big and dense enough to be fun as a disaster spot, while Night City is likely to be big enough for the player to have all they fun they want IF they choose to dive deep.

What I dig so far the most though is the presence of both populated and not-so-populated areas in the game. I really wonder how different the quest design will be based on the environment. Man, I already feel sorry for all the games I'll miss out while exploring nothing but Night City.

Definitely. Arkane's world might not be big by open world's standard but they have the best sense of a real lived in place to me. Specially with their interior designs. If Cyberpunk can manage to have memorable levels close to any of the Dishonored games or Talos 1 from Prey then i think it would be a blast.

Assassin's Creed Unity's Paris may have been bigger. But it's up there with the big 'uns.

[edit]: Ok, in terms of accessible size, AssCreed Unity was small afterall. So NC is back on top.

What do you mean "accessible size"? Im sure night city will have inaccessible areas as well.

What do you mean "accessible size"? Im sure night city will have inaccessible areas as well.

Basically, someone had stated as the size of the Paris in AssCreed Unity as being the area of modern Paris, rather than Paris of 18th century.

Modern Paris is larger than Night City, but 18th century Paris is smaller than Night City.

I've seen someone did a comparison to the GTA5 city and Night City came out quite alot larger, not counting the badlands... :)

Some fantastic scenes of the Badlands from the second episode of Night City Wire...

ncw02-01.jpg

ncw02-02.jpg

ncw02-03.jpg

ncw02-04.jpg

...which also work pretty well as showcases of the map’s scale.

Some fantastic scenes of the Badlands from the second episode of Night City Wire...

View attachment 11055365

View attachment 11055368

View attachment 11055371

View attachment 11055374

...which also work pretty well as showcases of the map’s scale.

I feel like the Badlands are a bit too small. The city looks quite large and close by in the horizon, They could have easily made the badlands way bigger by increasing the area and making the city appear smaller in the horizon.

Though this is just wishful thinking on my part, I'm sure the Badlands are big enough already.

I feel like the Badlands are a bit too small. The city looks quite large and close by in the horizon, They could have easily made the badlands way bigger by increasing the area and making the city appear smaller in the horizon.

Though this is just wishful thinking on my part, I'm sure the Badlands are big enough already.

I agree with you, BUT remember one thing,
unlike what happens in GTA V for example where the desert is only on one side of the map (in this case to the north)

Here in cyberpunk, the badlands is surrounding Night City from both the south, west and part of the north.

so that makes it bigger in perspective.
Post automatically merged:

Rancho Coronado (1).jpg

20200811_223838.jpg

20200811_224919.jpg

Last edited:

Remember the Reaver gif. ;)

Sooo... who wants to break down the parts of the city shown in today’s videos? Free time has taken a hit on my life lately so I’m depending on people on the web like y’all to catch stuff I didn’t :LOL:

For now, I’ll post an album I found on the game’s subreddit of some of the best shots seen in this Wire [Edit: found an even larger album, with gang renders incluided]:

[Edit, again] And a short video of some of those shots:
https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/ivajl2
They weren’t kidding about the city’s amount of verticality by the way, and I don’t mean just “look, a tall building!”

Last edited:
I love that they've given the city such verticality without going for the entire "two level city" that some games/movies/etc have, with an upper and lower level of the city.

So that’s what they did to Morro Rock in 2045! :think: In later years it was transformed into the space center island, judging by its position. Interesting 2020-to-2077 transition they’re doing with the districts, by the way.

Also, I wonder if the university is still there in 2077 and, if so, if it can be visited at all... [Flashbacks of the time I happily strutted towards the Oxenfurt Academy only to sadly find it closed to the public.]

Top Bottom