The single worst decision in gaming history

+

rackj

Forum regular
I played my first RPG on a C64 in 1984, Exodus III by Lord British. From Soho down to Brighton I must have played them all...
Cyberpunk is no Witcher III, but it is the best PC game since then.

Had the decision been made to put back the release on legacy consoles well after the PC release, Cyberpunk would have been no different in bugs than any other big release. The world would be talking about all the neat stuff, the beauty of the graphics, the big world to play in and the fun of it rather than the constant headlines about lawsuits, take downs, money back, failure... Someone should have seen that coming and weighed it better in lieu of initial revenue.

100 hours in with just a dent in it. Almost three months not a hint of been there done that boredom yet. Very well balanced.

My favorite thing is a bug where an NPC has a twin right next to it AND on the same script. Hilarious. Found it twice, followed them and of course had to kill one or the entire game would crash to desktop. It is such a good game I can make my own games inside the game.

I only have two pieces of advice. First, stop the DONT WALK BEEPING. Second give us 3rd person in SIT, STAND and GET IN.

Nay, worst was when another DEV decided to try to make a loot box infected multi player cash cow with zero talent and experience for doing it instead of what they do best. Killing a decade of goodwill with their previous fiercely loyal fan base. Arguably loosing money as well. As of the last time I looked (last year) 2.6 Million copies sold compared to the game they immediately made before that sold 15 million copies.

But this company unfortunately may end up doing something similar down the road. I cannot predict the future so I hope I am wrong.

Last edited:
. As of the last time I looked (last year) 2.6 Million copies sold compared to the game they immediately made before that sold 15 million copies.

This is pure misinformation they sold 13m copies by the 22 december. When in comparision Witcher 3 sold 10m copies AFTER ALMOST A YEAR. You can say what you want about the game but buisness wise it was a succes for them.

This is pure misinformation they sold 13m copies by the 22 december. When in comparision Witcher 3 sold 10m copies AFTER ALMOST A YEAR. You can say what you want about the game but buisness wise it was a succes for them.

Please try reading what I wrote again, you missed the words ANOTHER DEV. If English is your secondary language then we will just chalk it up to a misunderstanding because I was being a little ambiguous about WHO I was talking about for civility.

Last edited:

Well this one went a bit wide of the target.

I'm pretty sure that @SpookyFX was referring to a different developer, that might now be owned by a different parent company that sometimes has a $ in its name.

Please try reading what I wrote again, you missed the words ANOTHER DEV. If English is your secondary language then we will just chalk it up to a misunderstanding because I was being a little ambiguous about WHO I was talking about for civility.
Sry I thought we were talking about Cyberpunk on Cyberpunk forum :shrug:

Did you have Anthem of Fallout76 in mind?

Well this one went a bit wide of the target.

I'm pretty sure that @SpookyFX was referring to a different developer, that might now be owned by a different parent company that sometimes has a $ in its name.

It is sad that there is enough parallel there that he thought I was talking about CDPR. I REALLY hope CDPR does not go down that road or I will lose all hope of a AAA game company with soul can still exist.

Last edited:

FkzAz

Forum regular
The worst decision in gaming history is when gamers started deciding that having no AI is acceptable and that the product should be praised by their graphical achievements (?) instead.

Best PC game of all time?.. Humm..

Civilization series, Paradox games even Football Manager (or Cm), World of Warcraft or even a little mod called Dota, that came from one of the best PC games of all time..

There is so many on the list that is hard to describe, but only a very very few, are from this last decade.

And CP is most definitely not one of them.

yes and no. When you read the investor call they were expecting 20million. so that's about 400mil loss they were expecting.
Post automatically merged:

worst decision for me was when I realized I'm a free QA for the 2077 mmo.

Worst decision in gaming history was deciding it was okay to release the same games for both PC and console... resulting in drastically simplified control schemes for PC games, despite having many more buttons available and a completely different method of control entirely (controller vs mouse + keyboard). Or, on the other side, resulting in glitchy console games that are barely playable due to the inferior system specs of consoles vs PCs.

Worst decision in gaming history was deciding it was okay to release the same games for both PC and console... resulting in drastically simplified control schemes for PC games, despite having many more buttons available and a completely different method of control entirely (controller vs mouse + keyboard). Or, on the other side, resulting in glitchy console games that are barely playable due to the inferior system specs of consoles vs PCs.

Yeah, on the same page. And who thought such a massive game could run on PS4 and Xbox One without crimping the experience for the rest of us? If it's been a PC-game only, they could focus on their AI a lot more instead of limiting to the lowest common denominator.

Guest 4519094

bioshock tapes as sole narrative device, yes there's that supposedly tense moment with some libertarian crazy dude but even that is pretty wooden. Those tapes ruined the industry because of their convenience for production, most soulless decision in the last couple decades.

Rudo_

Forum regular
Yeah, on the same page. And who thought such a massive game could run on PS4 and Xbox One without crimping the experience for the rest of us? If it's been a PC-game only, they could focus on their AI a lot more instead of limiting to the lowest common denominator.
Yes, sounds wise to make a game just for the 5% who can (or want) afford a 2000$ pc able to run cp77 in ultra.
Besides, it's not true. Proof: red red redemption 2 in ps4 base. That would be your "lowest common denominator" For an also massive game, but, surprise! That one works.
They should do smug2077 just for you.

Yes, sounds wise to make a game just for the 5% who can (or want) afford a 2000$ pc able to run cp77 in ultra.
Besides, it's not true. Proof: red red redemption 2 in ps4 base. That would be your "lowest common denominator" For an also massive game, but, surprise! That one works.
They should do smug2077 just for you.

You can't compare RDR2 to CP2077... RDR2 is a piece of flat paper, while CP2077 is a box. The latter has an extra dimension to work with! And the AI's needs to work in this (boxy) environment, while in RDR2, it's far easier as it's just a flat piece of paper for all the NPC's to act upon. Think of CP2077 as several RDR2's stacked on top of each other, and were the NPC's should be able to navigate everywhere... See the difference?

Guest 4519094

Lots of people have tried to hijack a free ride on CDPR's coattail this last decade, but now they're taking it one step further, also starting to believe those comments are not just from fans of a company or franchise but a more professionally organized impetus might be behind them.
It's not just about having your silly product mentioned just next to the witcher in the hope people will believe those are comparable, it's about blind hate that federates, why make a good game and have people come together around it, when you can make a shit game every six months (or even make no game and just make a trailer) and have people federate around hating your direct competitor, heard Christianity as a religion did that a lot, adopt gods of other pantheons as demons in theirs.

Rudo_

Forum regular
You can't compare RDR2 to CP2077... RDR2 is a piece of flat paper, while CP2077 is a box. The latter has an extra dimension to work with! And the AI's needs to work in this (boxy) environment, while in RDR2, it's far easier as it's just a flat piece of paper for all the NPC's to act upon. Think of CP2077 as several RDR2's stacked on top of each other, and were the NPC's should be able to navigate everywhere... See the difference?
No, i don't see it. I mean, i don't get why you say the CP77 npc have that extra dimension. Rdr npc's react accordingly to the situation. You can even have small talks with them (talks that can be pleasant, or end up in fist figh or shootout). With every single one. And depends who they are and where they would react differently: run, scream, get cocky, shoot at you, beg for mercy....
Once, in CP77 I jumped and landed over some glass that broke. The whole street crouched, some just ran.
If thats a nultidimensional heavy layered AI, i think I prefer the flat ones...

Top Bottom