The six month montage after the prologue should have been the main bulk of the game. [Opinion!]

+
I would have liked +5 hours of you being corpo/nomad/streetkid
+5~10 hours of the montage
the rest follows as before

Why not the whole game as Corpo, Street Kid or Nomad. Imagine building reputations specific to each life path (replayability). I see no reason the game can't do this.

Why not the whole game as Corpo, Street Kid or Nomad. Imagine building reputations specific to each life path (replayability). I see no reason the game can't do this.

...isn't that asking a bit too much? Or maybe I am not understanding you....

I don't see how it's asking too much. Other major RPGs have multitudes of reputations to build.

Well it means that you have to ditch your character and get 1/3rd of the content. You act like it's gaining content but it means that if I want to play my Corpo interacting with Nomads, I can't, and have to buy an entirely new game. One of the things I hated about the Witcher 2 was I had to restart the game to get all of the content.

You mean like Morrowwind? LIKE MORROWWIND!!! Where becoming deathly ill is part of a larger more open story. Even how you tackle that quest line has consequences. Once you get blighted your character temporarily has a debuff and npc's have a change of attitude towards you. I think there might have been an actual timer too, but I could be making that up.

Still would get Silverhanded in the alley. It would just put it in a better place for a more branching story.

This game is super new and the latest rage. Check it out.

but to me, this game is not about your character, it's rather all about Johnny Silverhand.

That's the thing that's bothering me the most about this game, aside from technical issues. It's the first time I play an RPG where the character I'm playing becomes a supporting character. What a bizarre notion in an RPG, honestly. It's like as if in The Witcher 3 Geralt would spend the whole game learning about Triss's life, her motives and her relationships. Wtf.

i tend to agree. if i'm being honest i could care less about every character i come across. i've known them for what? 2 or 3 days? honestly can't bring myself to care about them. i still haven't finished the judy or panam quests because it's hard to be invested into the well being of people you've only just met. especially as a ex-nomad merc.

if the game had progressed in month increments, and acknowledging the peeps he'd been acquainted with before and after, i could imagine V having a stake in their wellbeing. as it stands now i couldn't care enough about these NPCs to walk across the street to piss on them if they're on fire

That's the thing that's bothering me the most about this game, aside from technical issues. It's the first time I play an RPG where the character I'm playing becomes a supporting character.

Gave me flashbacks to playing the pen and paper 7th Sea RPG. In that system, main characters were very fleshed out with massive story arcs that fundamentally affected the game world , largely relegating the player characters to filling in the margins. If your GM was trying to keep your adventure in canon (as ours was) you basically ended up playing supporting characters.

There are lots of games where the player character isn't necessarily the "solution to main problem" but is still the hero. Take Oblivion where Martin is the heir to the throne, but it is the player character who has to reshape the world in a way that makes him king or dooms the land. In that the player is not lugging Martin around. We are presented with the problem and we choose how to "solve" it. V could have been that. The guy who's decisions shape the world and its inhabitants for "the big change" in the world.

Ultimately V is just a vessel for Silverhand to tell his story. Like being locked in a movie theater and forced to watch whatever is thrown on the screen. You might have your gripes, but you aren't going anywhere. You can change the order the movies are shown, but not the actual movies on the playlist.

If I'm not mistaken Square enix almost went bankrupt after the flop release of FF14 and previous FF flops.
Exactly, the re release of FFXIV saved the company from Bankruptcy. They managed to do that within less than a year with less manpower and less resources than CDPR. To this day FFXIV is the second most popular subscription based MMO, only behind WoW. It was for many years a massive success after it's great re release.

That's the thing that's bothering me the most about this game, aside from technical issues. It's the first time I play an RPG where the character I'm playing becomes a supporting character. What a bizarre notion in an RPG, honestly. It's like as if in The Witcher 3 Geralt would spend the whole game learning about Triss's life, her motives and her relationships. Wtf.

It's a buddy comedy not a supporting character since Johnny cannot do anything and makes it explicit he doesn't want to be resurrected at the cost of your life.

The thing about the game is attempting to find out a way to save YOUR life and what sort of legacy you leave behind. I think that's an interesting story by itself because the best part of the game is the fact there's absolutely jack all you can do to change the world. The problems of Night City are systemic and brought about by greed, capitalism, poverty, and corruption.

Its very much like the Continent.

So, really your legacy are the lives you save and take because you can't really change the world but can maybe do a little good on the way. It's a fascinating alternative to, say, Morrowind or games that make you Darth Revan.

Top Bottom