The small things that need changing

+
The small things that need changing

First let me personally thank you for the game you ve let me enjoy. It is nothing less than a masterpiece. Thing is even a masterpiece has some details that can be improved. So I d like to make a list of things that will cost developers a few minutes to hours at most to change, any suggestions are appreciated as I will update my first with the specifics.
(I personally own it on a PS4)

Everything easy to implement (I am still in my studies, but as I study Computer Science I dare to give them a difficulty to implement rating. can be wrong though since I do not know the sourcecode)

Important:
It is not about personal preference but about generall improvement. Things that you think most People would like.

Details:

Difficulty 1 (probably just a number that needs to be changed)
Gwent:
It starts at 5 crowns, allmost all People tend to take it up to 10, why not start at 10 or make it so that it remembers the last bet?

Difficulty 2 (adding a new oil is easy)
Oils
Problem: every time we have a new enemy we have to go to the inventory and set up a new oil. Since it would be to timeconsuming no one does it.
Possible solutions:
1) We have so many different oils to make more damage to a certain type of enemy (necro, vampire etc) This, if we want to play it the right way will also always take us to our inventory. My suggestions here is to make a "vs all" oil, which is a bit less effective so it is still worth to take on a specific oil for a hard mob, but takes of the pressure to always visit the inventory to change oils.
2) Like the potions, a solution interfacewise, so we can access different oils with hotkey etc.

Crafting:
It was a nice idea to let us pin our recipes, thing is we can only pin one recipe, while we have many potions we want to complete.
Let us instead pin Ingredients, and not just one but many. This way we can complete many potions at once, let rare ingredients we may need in the future be pinned etc.

Razor:
A Razor for immersion, why should we pay a Barber when every 5. Bandit is supposed to have one?

Difficulty 3 (Probably a new class for switching, don t know the sourcecode)
drinking potions (PS4 + XBox)
We have to check the inventory each time we want to switch potions. That tends to keep People off the alchemy tree.
Long click up or down instead of a short one to switch between a potion we have on shortcut. Best if we can give them an order on when to appear.
Example, cat is on our shortcut on the button up, we keep pressing it for 1-2 seconds and the whale potion which is second to it is placed there.
(Alternativly you can use R3 and L3+ something similar on Xbox)

PS: not a native english speaker, you ll find mistakes for sure, keep them.
PPS: The thread is mainly for details which can improved. as I said, I ll update the first (main) post. so give your ideas.

Last edited:
I disagree about the oil vs all....this one will kill the spirit of the old games "prepare to battle". I think the problem with the oils is the same problem with potions: we need shortcut and dedicated interface for them.

That is why it shouldn t be as effective.

It is always a balance between lore and comfort. But atm it keeps me from setting up different oils at all. I ll add your posible solution to the main post.

jj284b

Forum veteran
few things i'd like to see in game:

- ability to shave using the razor - no need for special beard shape, razor would make Geralt clean shaven and would be spent by using it. whoever wants to have some custom beard can use barber instead.
- ability to cook - in books, there were occasions when Geralt and his party cooked a food (fish soup), while seeing him eating all that raw mean and wolven livers is a bit strange. Simple recipies could be added.
- meat should get rotten over time..
- overall reduction of alcohol availability in the containers.. alcohol should be rare, mostly available from inns to force player to actually spend money instead of hoarding huge amounts of alcohol and money..
- food effects - food should have a long term effect (let say few hours) that would give Geralt some bonuses, while if he is hungry, his abilities would be reduced.
- eventually probably simpler change would be make all food only heal outside of combat, while potion like swallow would be healing inside and outside of combat.

jj284b, I really like your ideas :)
But lots of them are gamedesign choices, not necessary improvement for all People and sometimes not easy to implement. (new crafting "cooking", adding a date of expiry etc)
I ll get into detail since you took your time to write a reply yourself.

- ability to shave using the razor - no need for special beard shape, razor would make Geralt clean shaven and would be spent by using it. whoever wants to have some custom beard can use barber instead.
This I can add, it s easy to implement and should be an improvement to most people, if it isn t, they don t care.

- ability to cook - in books, there were occasions when Geralt and his party cooked a food (fish soup), while seeing him eating all that raw mean and wolven livers is a bit strange. Simple recipies could be added.
a whole new profession, lot s of work from the devs, while cool for immersion, I d say it doesn t fall under details (that is what this thread is about).

- meat should get rotten over time..
Date of expiry, a whole new gameplay mechanic to add, also a gamedesign choice, not necessarily an improvement.

- overall reduction of alcohol availability in the containers.. alcohol should be rare, mostly available from inns to force player to actually spend money instead of hoarding huge amounts of alcohol and money..
- food effects - food should have a long term effect (let say few hours) that would give Geralt some bonuses, while if he is hungry, his abilities would be reduced.
- eventually probably simpler change would be make all food only heal outside of combat, while potion like swallow would be healing inside and outside of combat.
gamedesign choices. lot s of people would like it, lot s of people would hate it.

jj284b

Forum veteran
my idea about cooking would be that those recipies could be in the alchemy list, just under separate list, so they would not count towards toxicity bonuses. you would be able to cook that meat you have in your inventory instead of eating it raw..

Top Bottom