The solution to unitless decks as I see it.

+
I wanted to make this thread because I know this is going to be a hot topic over the next patch or two. Unitless decks have been increasing in popularity and players hate playing against them. Even the streamers who create these decks agree that they are bad for the game.

The solution to fixing this issue is not to do something like put a cap on spells or anything like that. The reason unitless decks are so effective is because of ARTIFACTS. Players have been telling CDPR ever since homecoming came out that artifacts are only going to cause problems with the game. Their binary design with only artifact removal being a counter is going to hurt the game. Unitless decks are a direct result of this issue. Without artifacts these decks wouldn't be super powerful. Players could still create them but they wouldn't be able to progress very far in rankings with them. This is because if you aren't putting points on the board then you can't close the gap enough to win the round at the end. With artifacts you are effectively putting points away for a later play. That is why they are so unfair. Without tons of artifact removal these cards just sit there safely until the final play when the player can throw down an insane amount of points.

So just to be clear. All the devs have to do to stop these unitless decks from hurting their game is to remove or rework artifacts.

I would not necessary say remove but a rework on Artifact(s) is suffice. Though, rework to what degree I have no clue on how to change Artifact(s) but, there is a few that came to mind which is an Artifact can only be activate if there is at least 2 units on the board, or if adjacent to 2 units, boost 2 random allies by 1 and destroy self, or if adjacent to 2 units, damage 2 random enemies by 1 and destroy self.

I'd say all that we need is more units with artifact removal as an additional ability.

I'd say all that we need is more units with artifact removal as an additional ability.

Technically that could help. I feel like the game would be in a strange place though if it keeps adding strong artifacts and slapping artifact removal on a ton of cards as well. It's like a bad mini game of playing tons of artifacts vs hoping to draw your artifact removal cards. I don't see how artifacts are a good design decision. Every deck you play must have a bunch of artifact removal cards or else you will get steam rolled by them.

That would ruin legitimate decks that use artifacts in a normal way.
Post automatically merged:

Every deck you play must have a bunch of artifact removal cards or else you will get steam rolled by them.

Perhaps most/many artifacts could have a timer on them and expire. It would make things more predictable and it would rework to make them less useful to just have on the board.

I think artifacts definitely have their place in the game and definitely is a very good thing, and removing them seems like an absurd suggestion to me. Removing them would hurt the game alot.

That would ruin legitimate decks that use artifacts in a normal way.
Post automatically merged:

Perhaps most/many artifacts could have a timer on them and expire. It would make things more predictable and it would rework to make them less useful to just have on the board.

I think artifacts definitely have their place in the game and definitely is a very good thing, and removing them seems like an absurd suggestion to me. Removing them would hurt the game alot.

If they have a decent idea to rework them then go for it but I don't have much optimism. So far they have just hard nerfed artifacts because they didn't know how to fix the issues. Spears and Sihil being prime examples.

A timer is actually a pretty good idea. Each card can be balanced that way. If it's a boost card then maybe you have to use it within two or three turns. Honestly though players will just find a way to abuse that as well.

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
The solution to artifacts is having to equip them on a unit before they can be used. If the unit dies, the artifact can be re-equipped on another unit. Of course, this only applies to things that can be equipped in the first place, not artifacts like Frightener. It's probably the easiest way to "fix" artifacts. Visually, it would just be playing the artifact adjacent to the unit. It doesn't have to be anything fancy.

On a side note, there is another reason why artifacts are being used in a unitless deck; because you need something to play when you have to go first or when there are no targets on the board.

Top Bottom