The things that The Witcher 3 did better than Cyberpunk 2077

+
-Atmosphere and Vibes
When it comes to one of my favorite aspects of the witcher 3 is how each area has its own unique atmosphere and vibes ,think of Velen ,Novigrad ,Skellige and toussaint ,each area has its own culture ,its own problems and the fleshed out side quests help in that regard (il explain that later on) in Cyberpunk i sometimes had to check on the map to see where which district im in because every area is pretty much the same only difference is what gangs you will fight and how some buildings look like and thats pretty much it.

-Enemy Variety
While Cyberpunk my have more Gameplay variety and sure it may sound unfair to compare monsters from the witcher 3 to enemies from Cyberpunk but the variety of enemies are very lackluster with similar behavior ,fighting experienced soldiers like Militech feels exactly the same as fighting Gangs only difference is how they look like and it does not help that the AI are incredibly stupid

-Environmental/Text Storytelling
Cyberpunk relies extremely heavily on this in Gigs and NCPD scatter hustles ,but the witcher 3 does it alot more effectively by doing it in treasure hunts ,you are usually not fighting and all you are doing is collecting diagrams and clues to what happened which leads to interesting stories that are way more well written than the half assed shards in Cyberpunk.

-Side Content
its kind off ironic to see this especially when Cyberpunk relies heavily on it to make up for the extremely short story yet it still fails to live up to the quality of the witcher 3 ,the main side quests in Cyberpunk are phenomenal dont get me wrong and in many ways are even better than the ones from the witcher 3 ,but sadly thats just a very small portion of the side content.

Cyberpunk's most side content are made up of Gigs and while some of them are incredibly good and more than worth doing ,the overwhelming majority are shit tier copy and paste filler garbage with some dumbass shard thrown in to give more context ,this brings me back to the atmosphere and vibes ,gigs are pretty much the same which ever district you are ,go kill X go steal Y plant a virus at Z ,the same shit different shard ,same thing with Cyberpsychos and the worst part are the fixers instead of talking to new NPCs like you did with the witcher 3 you only talk with these dumbass fixers telling you what to do ,i feel gigs could have been slightly improved if they were areas for you to discover something like dungeons ,fixers ruin whatever sense of discovery you could have got.

imo the game should have had way more side quests that are connected with characters or even help flesh out each area the same way the witcher 3 side quests did

-Mini games
while The witcher 3 lacks in terms of interactivity it still had Gwent as a mini game which is a fun side activity to do away from the monster killing and drama it also had its own unique fun side quests ,Cyberpunk on the other hand has NONE and its even more jarring to see all these potential mini games such as board games ,Arcades and billiards what bothers me even more is in here
they said their focus is to have a world that is interactable and what can you interact with in the final product? A FUCKING VENDING MACHINE

-Quality and Quantity
The witcher 3 has its flaws yes but overall it was a very fulfilling experience it left me satisfied without thinking that its in desperate need of an expansions or DLCs Cyberpunk on the other hand left me wanting more way more than i was hoping for ,the main story was very short ,the side content were disappointing and overall the game is just smaller and unfulfilling in so many ways
length.jpg

Last edited:
I was actually talking to my brother the other day about why the fixers are such a huge problem with the same reasoning. When most of the side content is delivered by the same few static characters via non-interactable conversations, it limits all of the 'tales of the city' type interactions you get from quests like Barry/PTSD cop and the monk etc. The fixers don't develop as characters, they have no depth, no roleplaying potential or relationship building with the player character. They just nag you with empty side fluff. If they'd distributed the VA budget from the fixers to other NPCs about the city with interactable conversations and branching dialogue trees, perhaps the biggest (non-bug related) issue with the game wouldn't exist, which is how lonely and superficial the city feels.

i could forgive Witcher series the lack of mini-games Gwent, Dice Poker. Because setting is in medieval fantasy world.
But CP2077 is big dense metropolitan city, the lack of activity and interactivity is beyond understanding.

Also most promotional CP2077 videos scream and repeat Night City this Night City that, Night City dreams Night City life. While Witcher 3 promotional videos didn't make focus Novigrad this Novigrad that.

the story the endings were things i felt they failed against witcher 3 length maybe ..
witcher 3 had some of the best story telling even to that of last of us 1 NOT 2 ewww
even though they had some great material to start with the ciri /geralt/ triss/ yennifer dynamic to say the least made for top story telling!!
even the emotional parts felt like MEH jackie wells yeah jackie who after 10 minutes..
A lack of real meaningful decisions that made any difference..
it should have been a introduction game give us a simple no deaths story that got us familar with night city the characters the cyberpunk world and hit us hard at the end then set us up for a new game or a expansion dlc to further the lore and story telling later

I love this game, but to me GIG's are (by far) the worst aspect of Cyberpunk in comparison to TW3. In The Witcher games almost every NPC has some story to share. Here ? most side NPC's intaractions feel like this is an MMORPG.
Boring phone call + shallow explanation in text message + phone call after completing it = Experience points and E$

I am dripping with excitement, every time. Wakako please call me again...

Main characters in Cyberpunk are beyond great, but everything that is side activity or GIG ? It has no soul. Most of the times game fails to make me care about what I am actualy doing. Don't even get me started about how stupid it is that buying a car counts as a "mission" from a Fixer... polluting my journey tag with FAKE QUESTS.

TW3 Contracts > GIG's.

With W3 main quest i personally spent more time doing side content to be a relevent lvl to do the main quest, with CP im not "gated" as much nor travelling as often, so that said if i could go from main quest to main quest, start to finish i'd probably complete W3 before CP, the side content in W3 was better in some cases but then some of the side quests in CP are better than whats ih W3 and some individual missions/characters in CP far surpass anything i came across in W3 though both set a high bar in the industry in that regard.

Both have there pro's and con's but as a personal preference i'd choose CP every day, luckily i dont need to an can just enjoy both

Witcher 3 is on Sale in the MS-Store and I bought it today for my XSX. After I already got it für PC&PS4 and spent about 400-500h. You never can have enough Witcher-Copies and I got the Vesemir coffeecup, too!

Topic:
A "few" people are unhappy about the start in CP2077: super short lifepaths, not really building up a relationship with Jackie, because 6 months of gameplay is pressed in a 20? Sek. cutscene.

In Witcher the first 20 minutes, you get a cinematic with Yennefer (important character), then the tutorial with little Ciri (important character), Vesemir the old dog and mentor (important character) and Lambert, Eskel introduced (important characters). And the Wild Hunt shows up, too (important villan).
Then you visit the first village and you get the information, how the society reacts towards Witchers (not so good). First Mission etc.

So.
Look at CP2077.
Look at W3.
Again CP2077.

I think the beginning of W3 is perfect. Every relevant information you need for a good start and playing your Role as Geralt of Riva.

Then the Jackie-Problem.
You got so many social contacts and friends in W3. Ciri, Yennefer, Triss, the Witcher-schoolmates, Dandelion, Zoltan, Mousesack, Keira etc. You build new ones with the children of Crach an Craite. Or the Bloody Baron (important character).
Sidecasts Philippa, Dijkstra etc.
What you get in CP2077 you can count on one hand. Jackie...hmpf... Judy.... Panam... River...Takeforgothisnamealready... Oh, and of course Johnny, the allmighty Silverhand. Double-Hmpf.
That's it.
Regina is no comparsion to lets say the old lady with the estate and the melodram about her brother and husband or the werewolf-husband, if you know what I mean. Or the spooky "Pestmaid" in the tower like she is called in german.
(okay, I played W3 often as you can see). Even the troll looking for colors got more vibes...

*sigh*

Maybe they lost a few really important Questdesigner, Storywriter, whatever. I don't think that tabletop vs books is the problem. Maybe the thougth: Hey, it is an Action! Adventure! Looter! Shooter! Nobody cares about V as the Player-Role in a RPG and his/her friends.
Well, I do.
I don't know what went wrong. But... it is what is it.
(not buying a CP-coffeecup!)

-Atmosphere and Vibes
When it comes to one of my favorite aspects of the witcher 3 is how each area has its own unique atmopshere and vibes ,think of Velen ,Novigrad ,Skellige and toussaint ,each area has its own culture ,its own problems and the fleshed out side quests help in that regard (il explain that later on) in Cyberpunk i sometimes had to check on the map to see where which district im in because every area is pretty much the same only difference is what gangs you will fight

-Enemy Variety
While Cyberpunk my have more Gameplay and sure it may sound unfair to compare monsters from the witcher 3 to enemies from Cyberpunk but the variety the enemies are very lackluster with similar behavior ,fighting experienced soldiers like Militech feels exactly the same as fighting Gangs only difference is how they look like and it does not help that the AI are incredibly stupid

-Environmental/Text Storytelling
Cyberpunk relies extremely heavily on this in Gigs and NCPD scatter hustles ,but the witcher 3 does it way more effectively by doing it in treasure hunts ,you are usually not fighting and all you are doing is collecting diagrams and clues to what happened which leads to ALOT of interesting stories that are way more well written than the ones in Cyberpunk.

-Side Content
its kind off ironic to see this especially when Cyberpunk relies heavily on it to make up for the extremely short story yet it still fails to live up to the quality of the witcher 3 ,the main side quests in Cyberpunk are phenomenal dont get me wrong and in many ways are even better than the ones from the witcher 3 ,but sadly thats just a very small portion of the side content.

Cyberpunk's most side content are made up of Gigs and while some of them are incredibly good and more than worth doing ,the overwhelming majority are shit tier copy and paste filler garbage with some dumbass shard thrown in to give more context ,this brings me back to the atmosphere and vibes ,gigs are pretty much the same which ever district you are ,go kill X go steal Y plant a virus at Z ,the same shit different shard ,same thing with Cyberpsychos and the worst part are the fixers instead of talking to new NPCs like you did with the witcher 3 you only talk with these dumbass fixers telling you what to do ,i feel gigs could have been slightly improved if they were areas for you to discover something like dungeons ,fixers ruin whatever sense of discovery you could have got.

imo the game should have had way more side quests that are connected with characters or even help flesh out each area the same way the witcher 3 side quests did

-Mini games
while The witcher 3 lacks in terms of interactivity it still has Gwent as a mini game which is a fun side activity to do away from the monster killing and drama it also had its own unique fun side quests ,Cyberpunk on the other hand has NONE and its even more jarring to see all these potential mini games such as board games ,Arcades and billiards what bothers me even more is in here
they said their focus is to have a world that is interactable and what can you interact with in the final product? A FUCKING VENDING MACHINE

-Quality and Quantity
The witcher 3 has its flaws yes but overall it was a very fulfilling experience it left me satisfied without thinking that its in desperate need of an expansions or DLCs Cyberpunk on the other hand left me wanting more WAY more than i was hoping for ,the main story was very short ,the side content were disappointing and overall the game is just smaller and unfulfilling in so many ways
View attachment 11122208

Witcher 3 is better than CP in almost every category. CP is just shallow and the story is boring.
Post automatically merged:

In Witcher the first 20 minutes, you get a cinematic with Yennefer (important character), then the tutorial with little Ciri (important character), Vesemir the old dog and mentor (important character) and Lambert, Eskel introduced (important characters). And the Wild Hunt shows up, too (important villan).
Then you visit the first village and you get the information, how the society reacts towards Witchers (not so good). First Mission etc.

So.
Look at CP2077.
Look at W3.
Again CP2077.

I think the beginning of W3 is perfect. Every relevant information you need for a good start and playing your Role as Geralt of Riva.
i also want to add white orchard is an amazing starting area ,like the other areas in the witcher 3 it had its own unique atmosphere and vibe ,in the case of white orchard it has this depressing post war feel and how nilfgaard are occupying the area and its equally fleshed out by its well designed side quests and contracts
Maybe they lost a few really important Questdesigner, Storywriter, whatever. I don't think that tabletop vs books is the problem.
There are ALOT of devs especially in the writing team that left Cdpr after the Witcher 3 and on top of them was Sebastian Stępień who was the creative director ,some of them are working on a new game but most of them are currently working on dying light 2 and sadly it had a huge negative impact on the game despite the size of Cyberpunk development being doubled compared to The Witcher 3 ,i was honestly expecting more from the new open world team that Cyberpunk had not some copy and paste ubisoft tier content.

Last edited:
i think its "last winter was better" syndrome... both Witcher 3 and CP2077 have very similar structure... W3 had single minigame - Gwent, in CP you have Breach Protocol minigame.. In W3, as well as in CP, every possible activity is on map marked with "?", but at least in CP you don't have 1/2 of them just ordinary chest floating in the water... In W3 human enemies were practically just 2 types - guys with one hand weapon or guy with two hand weapon (plus bows or crossbows)... and NO, ordinary NPC in W3 did not all have some story, ONLY NAMED characters had some, others were just props moving around same was as in CP. (same is true in CP, named characters have a story behind them)

Neither W3 nor CP has random stuff happening. everything is scripted. both games have single racing miniquest (But W3 had it spread out on all maps).. but hey, at least CP has multiple of possible short stories linked with the Gig, where some of them get into quite interesting longer story (Crucifiction) or have potential impact on main campaign (Jatoro Shobo killing before entering Clouds to interrogate Woodman)...

People are not objective right now.. hype and disappointment from that hype was just too big.. so they tend to judge the game unfairly.. those who came into it without huge expectations, enjoy it more.. just give it some time... patches will roll out, some DLCs, expansions, and it will be completely different game... and for those who like more hardcore game design, just wait for overhaul mods...

But.... ;) Witcher 3 was released 2015 and CP2077 is a 12/2020 game (and it should have maybe 1-2 years more).
The horses in Skyrim 2006 was just facepalm, W3 2015-Roach was realistic, if it didnt bugged and in RDR2 2018, my horse was a Super-Pony.
Know what I mean?
I don't see a development, so many things seams to be rushed out.

TW3 satisfied that need that drives us to play open world games - exploration. There were a lot of interesting things to find. Cyberpunk doesn't have anything other than pretty graphics to see around each corner, and doesn't offer a better open world experience than your average Assassin's Creed reskin.

-Enemy Variety
While Cyberpunk my have more Gameplay and sure it may sound unfair to compare monsters from the witcher 3 to enemies from Cyberpunk but the variety the enemies are very lackluster with similar behavior ,fighting experienced soldiers like Militech feels exactly the same as fighting Gangs only difference is how they look like and it does not help that the AI are incredibly stupid

It's perfectly fair, Cyberpunk could've had just as much enemy variety as TW3 you don't need mythical monsters when you have cybernetics and bots, there are only two "boss" mobs in the game Adam Smasher and Royce (which is also replicated for a few other minibosses with the same junkyard mech suite), Smasher's weakspot in the back is also the same one as the Animal with the hammer in the Mall but that's it.

We could've had a much larger miniboss variety each with its own mechanics and weakspots just like TW3 had but no.
Heck things would've been so much better if even the only thing we got is that Cyberpsycho woiuld've been a unique monster that needed prep and a unique way to take them down but because every other system in the game including the combat system is broken the only thing you can do is either shoot them in the face or tranq shot them.

Everything in this game reeks unfinished because it is, I don't know how things went so wrong and what problems they had encountered that every system is in such incomplete and messy state.

I love this game, but to me GIG's are (by far) the worst aspect of Cyberpunk in comparison to TW3. In The Witcher games almost every NPC has some story to share. Here ? most side NPC's intaractions feel like this is an MMORPG.
Boring phone call + shallow explanation in text message + phone call after completing it = Experience points and E$

I am dripping with excitement, every time. Wakako please call me again...

Main characters in Cyberpunk are beyond great, but everything that is side activity or GIG ? It has no soul. Most of the times game fails to make me care about what I am actualy doing. Don't even get me started about how stupid it is that buying a car counts as a "mission" from a Fixer... polluting my journey tag with FAKE QUESTS.

TW3 Contracts > GIG's.
The gigs are a replacement for the question marks on the map in Witcher 3. You go there, kill all the monster, destroy the nest, kill all the bandits, maybe find some treasure, no story involved. I don't think they are "real" side quests.

Top Bottom