The things that The Witcher 3 did better than Cyberpunk 2077

+
-Atmosphere and Vibes
When it comes to one of my favorite aspects of the witcher 3 is how each area has its own unique atmopshere and vibes ,think of Velen ,Novigrad ,Skellige and toussaint ,each area has its own culture ,its own problems and the fleshed out side quests help in that regard (il explain that later on) in Cyberpunk i sometimes had to check on the map to see where which district im in because every area is pretty much the same only difference is what gangs you will fight

-Enemy Variety
While Cyberpunk my have more Gameplay and sure it may sound unfair to compare monsters from the witcher 3 to enemies from Cyberpunk but the variety the enemies are very lackluster with similar behavior ,fighting experienced soldiers like Militech feels exactly the same as fighting Gangs only difference is how they look like and it does not help that the AI are incredibly stupid

-Environmental/Text Storytelling
Cyberpunk relies extremely heavily on this in Gigs and NCPD scatter hustles ,but the witcher 3 does it way more effectively by doing it in treasure hunts ,you are usually not fighting and all you are doing is collecting diagrams and clues to what happened which leads to ALOT of interesting stories that are way more well written than the ones in Cyberpunk.

-Side Content
its kind off ironic to see this especially when Cyberpunk relies heavily on it to make up for the extremely short story yet it still fails to live up to the quality of the witcher 3 ,the main side quests in Cyberpunk are phenomenal dont get me wrong and in many ways are even better than the ones from the witcher 3 ,but sadly thats just a very small portion of the side content.

Cyberpunk's most side content are made up of Gigs and while some of them are incredibly good and more than worth doing ,the overwhelming majority are shit tier copy and paste filler garbage with some dumbass shard thrown in to give more context ,this brings me back to the atmosphere and vibes ,gigs are pretty much the same which ever district you are ,go kill X go steal Y plant a virus at Z ,the same shit different shard ,same thing with Cyberpsychos and the worst part are the fixers instead of talking to new NPCs like you did with the witcher 3 you only talk with these dumbass fixers telling you what to do ,i feel gigs could have been slightly improved if they were areas for you to discover something like dungeons ,fixers ruin whatever sense of discovery you could have got.

imo the game should have had way more side quests that are connected with characters or even help flesh out each area the same way the witcher 3 side quests did

-Mini games
while The witcher 3 lacks in terms of interactivity it still has Gwent as a mini game which is a fun side activity to do away from the monster killing and drama it also had its own unique fun side quests ,Cyberpunk on the other hand has NONE and its even more jarring to see all these potential mini games such as board games ,Arcades and billiards what bothers me even more is in here
they said their focus is to have a world that is interactable and what can you interact with in the final product? A FUCKING VENDING MACHINE

-Quality and Quantity
The witcher 3 has its flaws yes but overall it was a very fulfilling experience it left me satisfied without thinking that its in desperate need of an expansions or DLCs Cyberpunk on the other hand left me wanting more WAY more than i was hoping for ,the main story was very short ,the side content were disappointing and overall the game is just smaller and unfulfilling in so many ways
View attachment 11122208
100% agreed.
Post automatically merged:

I was actually talking to my brother the other day about why the fixers are such a huge problem with the same reasoning. When most of the side content is delivered by the same few static characters via non-interactable conversations, it limits all of the 'tales of the city' type interactions you get from quests like Barry/PTSD cop and the monk etc. The fixers don't develop as characters, they have no depth, no roleplaying potential or relationship building with the player character. They just nag you with empty side fluff. If they'd distributed the VA budget from the fixers to other NPCs about the city with interactable conversations and branching dialogue trees, perhaps the biggest (non-bug related) issue with the game wouldn't exist, which is how lonely and superficial the city feels.
Quest hubs, quest and interaction small hubs each with it's own theme depending on the district. This is what this game desperately needs.

TW3 satisfied that need that drives us to play open world games - exploration. There were a lot of interesting things to find. Cyberpunk doesn't have anything other than pretty graphics to see around each corner, and doesn't offer a better open world experience than your average Assassin's Creed reskin.
This.

CDPR's done, after this. I don't see how they can come back.

Oh I don't know about that mun, Bethesda has been releasing disappointing titles for years and even after Fallout 76 people are still hoping they can bring it back with Starfield.

I mean sure Cyberpunk may have failed to live up to the quality standard of the Witcher 3 but it isn't a bad game (at least on PC), sure it could be the start of a downward trajectory where everything they do goes from bad to worse but it could also be the kick to the gonads the studio needs to refocus it's efforts. I don't think the game will ever be amazing from a gameplay perspective but if they fix up the bugs and roll out some stellar story based DLC that shows off those CDPR writing chops then I am sure they could bring it back from here, even if that doesn't happen there is always the sequel.

Admittedly though I don't really have much faith in the multiplayer mode, will be interesting to see what they do with that but really don't have high hopes for it.

Hey, one's got to do SOMETHING to pass the time in a medieval setting. ;)

But seriously - it's... not really a requirement. It was a fun side-game, but if you dislike it then, hey, there was no need to engage with that, really. I think the only quest related to Gwent was a tournament...? Other than that, a bit of chit-chat with some characters that's unrelated to the story as a whole. That one bit of the game, thankfully, didn't really have an impact on the story proper.

Don't know if you read my post fully or just that one setting but my problem with Gwent is not from a gameplay perspective but rather a worldbuilding one.

I like Gwent fine, it is a fun little side activity and collecting the cards is also kind of fun in it's own way, it is just that a game like this existing in the context of the Witcher universe does not make any sense at all.

W3 did everything better than CP and more.
I’m just hoping that CP will get more, better, content later on. Unfortunately it seems CDPR is becoming or in the path to be like all the other game developers.

The most important thing that W3 did better, was conveying the feeling that your decisions matter throughout the game. That is something that I'm missing in CP.

at least the combat is better, but one cannot deny that in terms of world detail and immersion we are well above the W3 and any other city world game (Assassin Creed, GTA). The city really impressed me.

A bit off topic

What was really missing though were the fixers. They all should have had a kind of quests arc like we had in the prologue with Dexter. Each one maybe with some sort gimmick (e.g. the spiderbot) or theme (gang warfare with padre, corpo with Hanako, media with Regina, etc) to dish out better the world of CP and Night City.

Also where the fuck is NetWatch?

Can anyone imagine trying to play any kind of MP from CDPR at this point? With how The Witcher's mechanics were poorly balanced and fairly generic, and given what a mess the gameplay balancing of CP77 is... can anyone imagine how utterly broken any sort of GTA Online game from them would be?
This may sound crazy but honestly ? At this point the right thing to do for Cdpr is completely axe the multiplayer mode and pour the resources back into single player but i seriously doubt it since the investors are coming in expecting an online mode with the same success of GTA Online ,releasing a multiplayer mode is just a suicide at this point and will be a much bigger train wreck than the single player mode.

One of the main reasons why GTA online is where its at today is because Rockstar have been working on these types of mechanics and physics ever since 2001 ,Cyberpunk even if its fixed will not have anywhere near the same quality of mechanics/physics of GTA Online

The game needs so many updates ,patches ,DLCs and expansions for it to reach most of its potential and Cdpr winning back the fans even if the cost was pissing off some suits

And the best one: It didn't had a Hollywood actor appearing every five minutes trying to shove his extreme ideological views and opinions in your head. :giveup:

They're not his views, they are Johnny Silverhand's views. Keanu Reeves is playing a decades old character that already had a set personality and goals, and he did not write the script.

Also, if you're offended by the character's anti-corporate viewpoint...

....a skeptical view of capitalism is in the genre's DNA. It's not Cyberpunk without it.

Witcher 3 did diverging paths way better than Cyberpunk definitely. One questline could end up in so many different ways. Quests like the Bloody Baron, King's Gambit, The Night of Longs Fangs, and many more. Ironic how they marketed the various choices you can make in the game and how Witcher 3 was just a warm up for them. They even said they want to make their projects bigger and better than the last smh

This may sound crazy but honestly ? At this point the right thing to do for Cdpr is completely axe the multiplayer mode and pour the resources back into single player but i seriously doubt it since the investors are coming in expecting an online mode with the same success of GTA Online ,releasing a multiplayer mode is just a suicide at this point and will be a much bigger train wreck than the single player mode.

One of the main reasons why GTA online is where its at today is because Rockstar have been working on these types of mechanics and physics ever since 2001 ,Cyberpunk even if its fixed will not have anywhere near the same quality of mechanics/physics of GTA Online

The game needs so many updates ,patches ,DLCs and expansions for it to reach most of its potential and Cdpr winning back the fans even if the cost was pissing off some suits
yeah better off to scrap MP entirely it will cost them even more money in the long term plus server running costs. not worth it in the end. plus you got griefers and toxicity all over the place

They're not his views, they are Johnny Silverhand's views. Keanu Reeves is playing a decades old character that already had a set personality and goals, and he did not write the script.

Also, if you're offended by the character's anti-corporate viewpoint...

....a skeptical view of capitalism is in the genre's DNA. It's not Cyberpunk without it.
I as well have my own pro-animal/anti-meat industry views but i'm not gonna bomb the ***** out of the local slaughter house and everyone around it. :3

As for Keanu, i know, it was mostly a lighthearted joke.

I like Gwent fine, it is a fun little side activity and collecting the cards is also kind of fun in it's own way, it is just that a game like this existing in the context of the Witcher universe does not make any sense at all.
Given the cards in Gwent feature the characters you talk to, it's more like a meta-joke AND a mini-game, and shouldn't be taken too seriously.

I mean sure Cyberpunk may have failed to live up to the quality standard of the Witcher 3 but it isn't a bad game (at least on PC)
This one's highly subjective. I'll just say that, for me, the game delivers on one aspect alone: visual design. Everything else is mediocre or sub-par.

But the problem I have with CDPR as a company right now isn't that they released a mediocre game. It's that they lied and mislead. Deliberately so. They had the reputation of being the pro-consumer developer and because of that I believe a lot of people took their marketing at face value. And if the only problems with the game were the bugs and performance dips - I suspect that their reputation would have been enough to keep them going strong. But the game's got so many problems besides the bugs... :/

Last edited:
The Witcher 3 ... most of the side quests were also just redundant garbage. There where huge highlights, but after the 20th whine about the monster behind the bush I didn't care and I just followed the blue steps to kill it. Really doesn't matter if I get a call or if a character I don't know is whining about something. The fixer are at leasts persons with homes and I can get the fealing of dealing with someone.

The clothing was also a joke, Geralt looked like a clown for 90 of the 100 hours until you found a complete set of witcher gear.
My first comment when my friends and I started with CP was, "Oh no, I have the Geralt issue again ... just a clown!"

The main story of W3 ... it was long, true, but was it good? I don't know, it started promising and the story around the red baron or bloody baron (was he called so?) was awesome but then ... meh. I gave it a 7 / 10.

Difficulty was unbalanced as s***. On normal it was good at the start and far far too easy after 40 hours and I was invincible at the end and killed the main guy in 5 seconds. The timed events just started after his death and I had to wait until they were finished. I thought the game was broken ...
On hard the beginning is too hard and half through the game it became good.

Characters felt good but unnatural and the interactions were stiff ... but up to the time these days.
Here CP really is a new standard. The interactions ... wow

So in summary, the W3 was a good game, but it was far from perfect.
CP is in my eyes a very good game, but also not perfect.

And do you wanna know something? I haven't seen a perfect game in the last 30 years.
And why is this? Because everyone of us would label something different perfect.

Regards

Hm. I had a few levels where Geralt looked like an idiot (this armor with red ribbon on it). But there were a few non-set items, and from Level 14? a few sets.
Nothing compares to the punch if I had do put male V in pink hotpants.

i could forgive Witcher series the lack of mini-games Gwent, Dice Poker. Because setting is in medieval fantasy world.
But CP2077 is big dense metropolitan city, the lack of activity and interactivity is beyond understanding.

Also most promotional CP2077 videos scream and repeat Night City this Night City that, Night City dreams Night City life. While Witcher 3 promotional videos didn't make focus Novigrad this Novigrad that.
Yea even FFvii remaster has a few minigames that were fun little distractions. I wouldn't say it is important, but anything that helps players live in the world is a win IMO.

Yea even FFvii remaster has a few minigames that were fun little distractions. I wouldn't say it is important, but anything that helps players live in the world is a win IMO.
I think Cdpr should have researched a game like yakuza ,but the fact that you cant interact with even the most basic stuff makes the open world shallow AF ,i saw this meme earlier and its quite baffling to see it not having mini games despite having a massive budget

yakuza.png

What is the history with the minigames?

Seriously why buy and play a 60 bucks AAA game to end wasting time playing a copy of any free web browser game?

And compare to the W3 you can say that both have the same number of minigames, one. Yes gwent is more fun that the hacking minigame buth at least it have sense in the game.

Gwent have no reason to exist lorewise as have been mentioned before, they create a cool card game, think can sold it and use W3 to test and alfa version

The problem with the fixers is they just auto call you as you are driving past mission locations. So you get spammed and your quest list turns into a bible.

My whole family are full of avid gamers, and some of my co-workers who played the game had the same complaint. It always seemed to come up.

Me, I like to try to manage my quest list, I don't like it when it gets full. It's distracting.

The Witcher it was a lot easier to manage your quests because you had to do more than just being near. You had to engage an NPC or a billboard before it got added to your quest list.

----

I think the aesthetics in CP77 are a lot better than the Witcher. That's just my preference. The best art should make you the most emotional, and I definitely got that more from CP77 than TW.

[...]
Witcher 3 in many ways is worse game than Cyberpunk.
Atmospehere and vibe: subjective, personal preference, what kind of genre do you prefer more.
Enemy Variety: similar games, human enemies are more varied in Cyberpunk, combat is much better.
Envoirmental/Text Storytelling: Cyberpunk is much, much better, city is filled with it, when W3, is some wilderness plus medieval style cities...
During quests W3 Geralt tells you everything....
Side content is better in Cyberpunk. I don't know why gigs should be different in different districts. Gigs are better than linear Witchers contracts: talk with people, follow tracks, kill/not kill monster, get your reward. Even in Cyberpunk you can do some quests, with similar aproach, and you feel like you seen it before. Level design for missions in Witcher 3 is not really even that important, because of their structure.
Mini games:
Gwent was good, but out of place, also I think Witcher 1 had more mini-games than W3. You can see how studio evolved around these things...
Quantity over quality: subjective.

Top Bottom