The Tide Rises Card Reveals

+
I like the new trap cards in general, I do hope this comes with some reworks to existing ones. I feel like Mahakam Horn just shouldn't be a trap, though I don't know how to change. I also don't think Treant Mantis really really fits into the current trap archetype, though it might fit into this new one a bit. Honestly, I'd like to see it get something similar to Brehen's ability (Spring: destroy a enemy unit on a row with at least 5. Ambush: a row with 3). Though again I'm not sure how to change Brehen in that case.
I like the point slam potential Trapmaker offers though I feel like it might outshine Scout in most cases.

Can anyone tell me what the Might keyword does?

I hope with these new flanking cards they'll change Light Cavalry, to me that card feels unfun to play against, and this seems to make it worst.

I like how vice isn't gang specific. I hope it can fit into multiple archetypes. I really like magpie, it seems like a cool way to save coins between turns.

Can anyone tell me what the Might keyword does?
Might: a unit with 10 or more power on each of your rows.

1688798776117.png

That Acherontia Deckhand looks mighty slow. Maybe with Tidecloak-tag I could mastermind it. Syndicate meaning gangs and such, these new cards should have gang-tags. I like the card art and the cat.

Vivaldi bank should be a crime card.

Magpie looks pretty. The card seems a bit underwhelming and slow play. Could use Tidecloak-tag.

Acherontia can be strong but rng, so more an 11 provisions card. Ixora depends on what opponent plays, it requires setup for ok-ish ability.

7rwszc.jpg

Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran
The update seems interesting, if im not mistaken it will be the biggest card drop in several years, since in 2022 and 2023 so far, they have consisted of 4 new cards per faction or less, and this one has 6 for each.

Still, not enough to draw me back in, but i might check shinmiri or moshcraft streams in the upcoming days, or maybe see any interesting posts / decks in this forum :howdy:

OK, so quick rundown of the new ST cards:
Angus and Riordain : solid.
Deception: solid.
Sticky: Hot garbage. You can literally only play this 8p card in R1. If you play it in R3, it will actually still do the cute little animation as it boosts the adjacent units by zero. Lmao. Amazing stuff.
Hostage taker: situational and tricky, but solid.
Trapmaker: Absolutely ATROCIOUS. You have to LABOR to get 5 points out of this card and to get 8 requires genius level IQ, which I'm sure everyone who's responsible for designing this card has.

I‘m most likely far from being qualified to evaluate if cards are busted (being gone many months for multiple times) but what happened to the „1 point roughly equals 1 power“? Just looking at the monstercards they are basically flipping the table saying „f* this sh*t“. This is just ridiculous. No wonder pretty much every old card sucks nowadays.

I haven’t had a chance to play much, and it might be a poorly constructed deck, but I am finding the new Ogroids very awkward. Maintaining might is tricky; there’s anti synergy between thrive and might, and drawing the right cards is surprisingly critical. And I haven’t even encountered an opponent with Heatwave for King Chrum or Xavier to mess up my graveyard!

DRK3

Forum veteran
Trapmaker: Absolutely ATROCIOUS. You have to LABOR to get 5 points out of this card and to get 8 requires genius level IQ, which I'm sure everyone who's responsible for designing this card has.
Sorry to go back to such an old comment, but i remembered it and just had to show you and our other ST fan here in the forums @rrc , who bashed trapmaker a lot, what i got :ohstopit:

Screenshot_20230801_145203_Gwent[1].jpg

I had to try Elf traps, as they've been my two favourite ST archetypes even since before Homecoming. Even though im not a big ST fan, my biggest winstreaks on ranked have actually been with elf swarm.

And i decided to include Trapmaker in this deck as the first version was Shupe, and so i couldnt use the useful bronze elves twice, and decided to give him a chance.
I dont mean to imply you were wrong in your criticism, but i do think trapmaker works very well with Riordain, its quite easy to get him to 8, possibly more with a little bit of luck and planning.

Screenshot_20230801_150702_Gwent[1].jpg

And here i wanted to talk about Heist. That card is absolutely insane. The streamers i've heard complaining that sometimes is just a 0pt brick or its only useful on R1 dont know what they're talking. There had to be a seriously hard control opponent who leaves nothing on your side to completely deny value.
And its not like there's only 1 or 2 good targets for it, as it works wonders with Angus, RIordain, Vernossiel, Isengrim, Vanadain and Yaevinn. The fact you can use it on Units of any provisions is crazy, i would expect it to be capped at units of 10pr or less, like Fucusya or Amphibious Assault, but that's not the case, and with cheap ass purifies these cards can be replayed even more. This card would be worth it even without echo IMO.

And here i wanted to talk about Heist. That card is absolutely insane. The streamers i've heard complaining that sometimes is just a 0pt brick or its only useful on R1 dont know what they're talking. There had to be a seriously hard control opponent who leaves nothing on your side to completely deny value.
And its not like there's only 1 or 2 good targets for it, as it works wonders with Angus, RIordain, Vernossiel, Isengrim, Vanadain and Yaevinn. The fact you can use it on Units of any provisions is crazy, i would expect it to be capped at units of 10pr or less, like Fucusya or Amphibious Assault, but that's not the case, and with cheap ass purifies these cards can be replayed even more. This card would be worth it even without echo IMO.
Thats probably the best possible description for this Gift the devs gave to us. :beer:

I love the direction this latest release has taken the game. It's made all previous cards obsolete. Super-duper job guys!

Sorry to go back to such an old comment, but i remembered it and just had to show you and our other ST fan here in the forums @rrc , who bashed trapmaker a lot, what i got :ohstopit:

View attachment 11358697
I had to try Elf traps, as they've been my two favourite ST archetypes even since before Homecoming. Even though im not a big ST fan, my biggest winstreaks on ranked have actually been with elf swarm.

And i decided to include Trapmaker in this deck as the first version was Shupe, and so i couldnt use the useful bronze elves twice, and decided to give him a chance.
I dont mean to imply you were wrong in your criticism, but i do think trapmaker works very well with Riordain, its quite easy to get him to 8, possibly more with a little bit of luck and planning.
OK, when it's "easy" to get a 4p card to 8 by tutoring it with a 13p card, that card doesn't "work very well." I do keep one of those stupid cards in my trap deck and I did get 11 out of it on occasion, when I tried to get value out of the damn thing, WITH Riordain of course, but more often than not, I'd rather use Riordain to tutor an actual good card I didn't happen to draw. Getting 14 means you have to start playing overpriced things like Horn and/or having VERY bad luck with Sticky Situation, neither of which are optimal. If there was a game mode for getting value out of horribly designed ST cards, we'd have a lot of fun with it I guess, but in the real world it is garbage.
View attachment 11358700
And no, Heist is not insane. It's an 11p echo card that is clunky as hell and plays for 0 points of tempo, twice. And while tempo doesn't really matter in R3, to deny value, the opponent doesn't need to "leave nothing." They just need to remove high value R3 cards such as Verno and Isengrim, leaving you to replay tricksters, bowmen or sappers, for a whopping value of, like 6 points. It does work well with carryover cards in R1, such as Angus and Vanadain, but unfortunately tempo DOES matter in R1, so it often ends up costing you the round. And if the opponent pushes R2 after winning R1, the Heist is a completely dead card in your hand, and you better hope you drew Simlas to bail you out by using all of those waylays you worked so hard to heist-spam in R1.

Overall, it's fun when you manage to make it work, but it IS a brick more often than not, certainly more often than 11p warrants. To imply that it's on the level of Fucusya and AA and needs to be "capped" is completely ridiculous.

Actually, you missed a few good , high-value targets. But it’s not just the flashy targets that get good value. I probably use it on Ciaran more than anything. But I’ve also gotten good value from Tricksters and even Sappers (because with multitudes of locks, bounties, poisons, etc., four purified just isn’t enough!)

DRK3

Forum veteran
And no, Heist is not insane. It's an 11p echo card that is clunky as hell and plays for 0 points of tempo, twice. And while tempo doesn't really matter in R3, to deny value, the opponent doesn't need to "leave nothing." They just need to remove high value R3 cards such as Verno and Isengrim, leaving you to replay tricksters, bowmen or sappers, for a whopping value of, like 6 points. It does work well with carryover cards in R1, such as Angus and Vanadain, but unfortunately tempo DOES matter in R1, so it often ends up costing you the round. And if the opponent pushes R2 after winning R1, the Heist is a completely dead card in your hand, and you better hope you drew Simlas to bail you out by using all of those waylays you worked so hard to heist-spam in R1.

Overall, it's fun when you manage to make it work, but it IS a brick more often than not, certainly more often than 11p warrants. To imply that it's on the level of Fucusya and AA and needs to be "capped" is completely ridiculous.
I admit i am still in quite low ranks due to prolonged inactivity, so i havent faced much fierce opposition. But i have to disagree with you:
Heist is definitely best in R1 and R3, but on R1 opponents rarely have the tools to deal with multiple 7pt cards, and since Angus is guaranteed to be in hand i only need to find Heist. And that i can commit leader charges because in R3 it can overswarm easily.

On R3 tempo matters less, as you said, and trap decks love to play uninteractive for as long as they can, having an extra turn of uninteractivity is great, and playing Riordain is great, as it can play multiple threats in 1 turn which not even the most control-heavy decks can deal with.

On a R2 push by opponent, im pretty sure you are supposed to mulligan it, try to get it later on R3 if it's long enough to get value. I cant believe ive seen streamers in pro rank do this mistake again and again, dont they know Gwent tryharders always push R2 even when they are not supposed to, and against elf / traps they are actually supposed to (unless they're Svalblod and can do massive wide damage with last say).

Overall, i agree Heist is not as reliable as Fucusya and AA, but it does have a much higher point ceiling.

Top Bottom