Votes: 40 2.9%
  • There was enough of Triss in the game

Votes: 128 9.1%
  • I don't like Triss

Votes: 38 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't you argue that the minute he got amnesia, the "real" Geralt ceased to exist? That was the moment the new Geralt was born. When he got his memory back he didn't lose the new memories post-amnesia. The Geralt we control in W3 is a combination of the two. While it is true that "real" Geralt's true love is Yennefer, it is also true that "new" Geralt's true love is Triss. That is why we are given the choice in the first place - the current Geralt clearly has unreconciled feelings for both of them.

The 'real' Geralt ceased to exist at the end of the books (like you said), the games and their stories are told by a different author/s. Sapkowski said that the games and books are different, he even said "no mixing is allowed" . Just as you said, when Geralt regained his memories he had the experiences from the books, and the experiences from the previous games to influence who he wanted to be with, and since this is a game where we control Geralt and focus on his new story, there is in no sense having to choose a character because of a different medium (in this case - books) unless they like that character . If people choose Yen or Triss, you could argue it is because the player (us) likes that character more, it should never be forced or told that we have to strictly follow the books, heck if i wanted to do, what would be the point of playing through the games story. Anyway the point is that the character we play in the Witcher 3 is not the 'real' Geralt.

If you didn't romance Triss it obviously makes sense. But judging from what you say it's the same if you did romance her?

Yup :X that's why this thread exists. We don't get any meaningful interaction with her even if we picked her. If you romanced Yennefer, that part would have been great. For us Triss-faithfuls, we got next-to-nothing.

The 'real' Geralt ceased to exist at the end of the books (like you said), the games and their stories are told by a different author/s. Sapkowski said that the games and books are different, he even said "no mixing is allowed" . Just as you said, when Geralt regained his memories he had the experiences from the books, and the experiences from the previous games to influence who he wanted to be with, and since this is a game where we control Geralt and focus on his new story, there is in no sense having to choose a character because of a different medium (in this case - books) unless they like that character . If people choose Yen or Triss, you could argue it is because the player (us) likes that character more, it should never be forced or told that we have to strictly follow the books, heck if i wanted to do, what would be the point of playing through the games story. Anyway the point is that the character we play in the Witcher 3 is not the 'real' Geralt.

I completely agree with you that the books shouldn't have any influence on what is happening in the game - they're totally separate entities at this point. Some people don't separate them though so I was trying to set it up using logic that would make sense to them. The Geralt we play as is a combination of "old" and "new" and has the collective experiences of both. He loves them both and that is why we are given the choice.

Who want eat fruit, must climb the hill. So I hope we can do something even in small amount. We don't ask for impossible.
Exactly i agree and hope. Even if we are the minority, this thread is still one of the most (if not the most) popular threads on this forum, so the developers will see it and it is up to us to make sure that when they do read through this thread, the posts will be constructive, have good reasons and of course show our support for the character.

ICouldn't you argue that the minute he got amnesia, the "real" Geralt ceased to exist? That was the moment the new Geralt was born. When he got his memory back he didn't lose the new memories post-amnesia. The Geralt we control in W3 is a combination of the two. While it is true that "real" Geralt's true love is Yennefer, it is also true that "new" Geralt's true love is Triss. That is why we are given the choice in the first place - the current Geralt clearly has unreconciled feelings for both of them.

You're quite right, but the part of your message that I highlighted is not true.

Triss is Geralt's lover in the games, yes. She's not his one true love however, no matter how you play it. Geralt's relationship with Triss in the games just doesn't compare with his relationship and bond with Yennefer in the books, it not even on the same level.

Triss was always more like a fling to Geralt, at least that's how I feel. Not until TW3 do we finally see Geralt expressing sincere love for Triss (but only if you decide to pick the "I love you" dialogue option).

Soooo I'm new here. Just completed my first play through, went with triss.

Pretty disappointed with the lack of content from romancing her.

Even more disappointed that there seems to be no interaction at all with her or yen post game.

Has anyone found out if we can interact with them?

On topic I read through the majority of this thread, and I agree that it seems like the devs just forced this pick yen for a true romance type of feeling.

I'm about to start a second play through soon picking yen just to see how much triss seems to get screwed over in this game.

Honestly I would love it if the devs would push an update or free DLC that allows you to spend time with your romances after the end game. That would actually be wonderful lol.

If you didn't romance Triss it obviously makes sense. But judging from what you say it's the same if you did romance her?

I wouldn't know because I romanced Yennefer and didn't stop Triss from going to Kovir.
It is ridiculous that it is a same romance Triss or not. It shows how devs treat those who chose Trisd, it very sadly and painfully to understand that all bonuses in game receive who chose Yen - more interactions, more love scenes, more dialogues.

I completely agree with you that the books shouldn't have any influence on what is happening in the game - they're totally separate entities at this point. Some people don't separate them though so I was trying to set it up using logic that would make sense to them. The Geralt we play as is a combination of "old" and "new" and has the collective experiences of both. He loves them both and that is why we are given the choice.

I completely disagree. They're not separate entities. The games rely heavily on characters, plots and stories from the books. The Witcher 1 felt like it's own story, it's own separate thing, but with The Witcher 2 it became clear that CDPR wanted to continue the story of the books. I could argue that The Witcher 3 doesn't even make sense if you haven't read the books. Many things in TW3 could be confusing and don't make sense if you have no knowledge of what happened in the books.

Even more disappointed that there seems to be no interaction at all with her or yen post game.

The story of Geralt of Rivia in relation to his friends and conspirators is meant to end after the main quest. Those you refer to are removed from the game-world.

It is ridiculous that it is a same romance Triss or not. It shows how devs treat those who chose Trisd, it very sadly and painfully to understand that all bonuses in game receive who chose Yen - more interactions, more love scenes, more dialogues.

Well, let's be fair here. You've got 3 games with Triss. Us Yennefer lovers only have 1 game with Yen. I feel that CDPR wanted to give a little extra to the fans who have been waiting so long for Yen to return and make an appearance in the games. Do you really think that's unfair? Do you really think it's reasonable to throw a fit like this over it?

I agree that a little acknowledgement of your romance with Triss at Kaer Morhen would have been nice, but to act as if CDPR shafted the Triss romance is a little extreme if you ask me.

I agree that a little acknowledgement of your romance with Triss at Kaer Morhen would have been nice, but to act as if CDPR shafted the Triss romance is a little extreme if you ask me.
I will be satisfied if they add more romantic interactions with Triss in Kaer Morhen.

I completely disagree. They're not separate entities.

The author of the books considers the games "free adaptations" containing "loose elements" of his work, so while you may think that they are connected, the games took the lore and the storylines from the books and created their own story, that is how Sapkowski considers it anyway (you can easily find what he said about the games through a quick google search).

Triss is Geralt's lover in the games, yes. She's not his one true love however, no matter how you play it. Geralt's relationship with Triss in the games just doesn't compare with his relationship and bond with Yennefer in the books, it not even on the same level.

Sorry but I disagree. They went through a lot together and in his new life he had nothing even remotely as strong with anybody except Triss. While they may not have as much history as Geralt and Yennefer do, they do have history. Consider it as a separate entity. In Geralt's new life, does anybody have anything even close to what he and Triss have together? She may not be his "one true love" in comparison to Yennefer, but imagine if Yennefer didn't exist in his new life. She'd come about as close as anybody could in that time.

Maybe my wording could have been better in my original point but I am trying to say that they love each other just as Geralt and Yen do. That is why we are given the choice. If Yennefer was his one true love forever and ever, then after getting his memory back, we wouldn't even have the option between the two of them. Love developed between Geralt and Triss over their time together and upon recovering his memory he found himself torn between two points.

Soooo I'm new here. Just completed my first play through, went with triss.

Pretty disappointed with the lack of content from romancing her.

Has anyone found out if we can interact with them?

On topic I read through the majority of this thread, and I agree that it seems like the devs just forced this pick yen for a true romance type of feeling.

I'm about to start a second play through soon picking yen just to see how much triss seems to get screwed over in this game.

Honestly I would love it if the devs would push an update or free DLC that allows you to spend time with your romances after the end game. That would actually be wonderful lol.

Welcome to the club bulldawg, remember to vote and keep visiting the page often. It is a very lively discussion.

To answer your first point, we are all disappointed with the lack of Triss. Secondly, no you cannot interact with either of them after the credits roll. The game reverts to a state before the final battle where a lot of major characters are missing. Sadly, all you can do are side quests, treasure hunts, or Witcher contracts. I think we too would all welcome some sort of update for more romantic interaction. Hence the thread with almost 1200 posts. :p

P.S. Good luck picking Yen - I couldn't send Triss away if my life depended on it.

You're quite right, but the part of your message that I highlighted is not true.

Triss was always more like a fling to Geralt, at least that's how I feel. Not until TW3 do we finally see Geralt expressing sincere love for Triss (but only if you decide to pick the "I love you" dialogue option).

Since when did TW become a Disney movie? Are all adult relationships supposed to be tossed out the window over some idealistic opinion of "True Love".
So the first person you decide you love you must stick with them forever. No changing your mind or your heart. You must be with them for the rest of your life simply because at one time you wanted to spend the rest of your life with them?

Flings and affairs become relationships all the time. People fall out of love and in love with other people. It happens every single day.

And what you say about Triss can also apply to Yen. Present Day Geralt only tells Yen he loves her if you pick the dialogue options.

The author of the books considers the games "free adaptations" containing "loose elements" of his work, so while you may think that they are connected, the games took the lore and the storylines from the books and created their own story, that is how Sapkowski considers it anyway (you can easily find what he said about the games through a quick google search).

I know what Sapkowski said, and he's obviously right, the books are independent from the games.

However, the games are not independent from the books. The games rely heavily on the books and basically are direct sequels to the books with little to no alteration to the plot.

Just because the games are not written by Sapkowski and he doesn't consider the games canon doesn't mean that there is no connection.

So the books have no connection to the games, but the games do have a connection to the books.

Well, let's be fair here. You've got 3 games with Triss. Us Yennefer lovers only have 1 game with Yen. I feel that CDPR wanted to give a little extra to the fans who have been waiting so long for Yen to return and make an appearance in the games. Do you really think that's unfair? Do you really think it's reasonable to throw a fit like this over it?

I a but to act as if CDPR shafted the Triss romance is a little extreme if you ask me.

Reading this whole thread is next to impossible now, however, there's a summary in the OP.

The best however way however to see our point is for you to see for yourself, in your next play through go Triss way and see how many changes from your Yen's play through you actually get.

---------- Updated at 05:51 AM ----------

I know what Sapkowski said, and he's obviously right, the books are independent from the games.

However, the games are not independent from the books. The games rely heavily on the books and basically are direct sequels to the books with little to no alteration to the plot.

Just because the games are not written by Sapkowski and he doesn't consider the games canon doesn't mean that there is no connection.

So the books have no connection to the games, but the games do have a connection to the books.

You are entirely correct.

Yet the story of the game, unlike the books, is shaped by two things, the devs setting the boundaries and the player deciding what to to do. There is no set path. And everybody's play through is bound to be different from one another, even in some small ways perhaps.

Imagine for a moment that in the your quest journal, instead of a brief description, you have the entire books written there (or at least the parts that they decide to take). Then you start your adventure and you're in charge. Your geralt decided to take take the money from the Black One, mine didn't. (actually he did but I reloaded). Your Geralt banged keira, mine didn't (same scenario as before lol, I reloaded and played in the swamp, I'm a cronic reloader). You can decide that Yen is Geralt's true waifu. You can break the djin wish, then declare. Or break her heart. Or not even embark on the quest in the first place.

Last edited:

Nobody is asking for less Yen. We are just asking for our choice to have some more impact. Especially since this is the last one.

I feel that Yennefer got a proper sendoff if you choose to romance her. Triss just didn't. There is simply no contesting this point. We are simply asking for a meaningful resolution. I don't think we are being unfair at all.

I completely disagree. They're not separate entities. The games rely heavily on characters, plots and stories from the books. The Witcher 1 felt like it's own story, it's own separate thing, but with The Witcher 2 it became clear that CDPR wanted to continue the story of the books. I could argue that The Witcher 3 doesn't even make sense if you haven't read the books. Many things in TW3 could be confusing and don't make sense if you have no knowledge of what happened in the books.

They are indeed separate entities. The game's characters and the universe and only based off of the books.

We aren't arguing game/book continuity here. Please look for a different thread regarding those points. We welcome anything more you have to say on the Triss side of things though.

Nobody is asking for less Yen. We are just asking for our choice to have some more impact. Especially since this is the last one.

I feel that Yennefer got a proper sendoff if you choose to romance her. Triss just didn't. There is simply no contesting this point. We are simply asking for a meaningful resolution. I don't think we are being unfair at all.
Yeah! We don't ask less of Yen. We ask more interactions with Triss if You pick her as romance.

Why there are not difference if You romance Triss or not in Kaer Morhen? Where benefits of our previuos choices? Is it RPG or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom