Votes: 40 2.9%
  • There was enough of Triss in the game

Votes: 128 9.1%
  • I don't like Triss

Votes: 38 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know what Sapkowski said, and he's obviously right, the books are independent from the games.

However, the games are not independent from the books. The games rely heavily on the books and basically are direct sequels to the books with little to no alteration to the plot.

Just because the games are not written by Sapkowski and he doesn't consider the games canon doesn't mean that there is no connection.

So the books have no connection to the games, but the games do have a connection to the books.
Yes your right in the sense that the games are connected to the books, however the events in the game especially in terms of romance differ, you say Yen is his one true love, that really only applies to the books and to those that choose Yen in the Witcher 3, someone could easily argue that Yen was his true love and stayed that way when he recovered his memory, but after meeting her and Triss again decided that Triss was the one he wanted to be with - and to reinforce that, since this is a rpg game, we get that option to choose her, and think about it, Yen and Geralt were together for what 15-20 years well going by the ending of the game, then Geralt and Triss can be together for the next 50 years and then it would be easy to say that Triss is his true love.

Yen is his true love in the books and at the start of the third game, but unless you choose to be with Yen throughout the game then she is not the true love as the story progresses and especially not by the end. Since this is an adaptation, it is the player who makes that choice without having to worry about following the books (you can follow the books if you want, but it is an option).

---------- Updated at 06:01 AM ----------

Yeah! We don't ask less of Yen. We ask more interactions with Triss if You pick her as romance.

This right here sums it up, i got nothing against Yen fans, and we certainly do not want to affect the Yen character in a negative/adverse way, asking for more interactions with Triss should never start an argument about Yen vs Triss, there are other threads about it, but here this is about the interactions with Triss.

@msanx let's keep the discussion of book/game continuity to a minimum here, please. We have already established that this argument doesn't apply to what we are discussing.

Since when did TW become a Disney movie? Are all adult relationships supposed to be tossed out the window over some idealistic opinion of "True Love".

Since the ''The Last Wish'. I suggest you read it (here's a summary of the story: http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/The_Last_Wish_(short_story) ). Then you'll figure out that what I say isn't about idealism, it's about a wish that created a powerful magical bond between Geralt and Yennefer. Geralt and Triss don't have such a bond.

So the first person you decide you love you must stick with them forever. No changing your mind or your heart. You must be with them for the rest of your life simply because at one time you wanted to spend the rest of your life with them?

No, Geralt must be with Yennefer for the rest of his life because of a spell from a genie that created a powerful magical bond between him and Yennefer.
Obviously The Witcher games prove that it's possible for Geralt to have relationships with other people than Yennefer, but at the same time the games also prove us that the bond between him and Yennefer is still very much in tact, based on the fact Geralt immediately became obsessed with Yennefer as soon as he started to regain his memories of her.

And what you say about Triss can also apply to Yen. Present Day Geralt only tells Yen he loves her if you pick the dialogue options.

You're missing my point. My point is that up until the very end of Triss's story arc you didn't even get the chance to confess any kind of feelings for Triss. In TW1, TW2 and the vast majority of TW3 Geralt never treats Triss more than someone he fancies and has a good time with. Only in the very end do you as the player get the chance to turn it into something more than just a fling.

Meanwhile there is clear and obvious chemistry between Yen and Geralt right from the start when they meet again. As the player you get the choice not to act on those feelings, but regardless of how you play the game there is always some chemistry between Geralt and Yennefer.

This right here sums it up, i got nothing against Yen fans, and we certainly do not want to affect the Yen character in a negative/adverse way, asking for more interactions with Triss should never start an argument about Yen vs Triss, there are other threads about it, but here this is about the interactions with Triss.

This is true - I've said it a lot. I don't want less Yennefer just more Triss. I also would like it if the main plot was more romance-neutral; it doesn't matter who you pick, a lot of it is roughly the same. Barring some dialogue during the downtime (Witcher party night for example). But take the possible romantic moments and add them to the side of the main plot. Also, as it has been said before, I am okay with Yen having more screen time, it is her first game after all. But is okay that the Triss side of things is so utterly unfulfilling? I say no.

They are indeed separate entities. The game's characters and the universe and only based off of the books.

They games aren't "only based off the books", they literally continue the story of the books. You make it sound like the games are merely loosely inspired on the books. They aren't. They're literally a continuation of the story from the books.

To add something about Triss: I actually liked Triss in the games more than in the books. Book-Triss is boring. Game-Triss is quite awesome.

I hope we'll get some more Triss and Yennefer concent in future DLCs.

You are right, but if You unbound and pick Triss You will not see changes in interactions with Yen, Triss and Geralt in Kaer Morhen.

Oh I know, and it is annoying. That and the Skellige "Well?" dialogue was very disappointing. It sticks out as an odd flaw in an otherwise stellar game.

@luc0s not a Yennefer vs Triss thread either. They have one of those. Ultimately though, doesn't it seem silly to compare them when we the player can make the choice? It all comes down to personal preference. We got that you prefer Yennefer. A lot of us here prefer Triss. Just live and let live. I doubt you're going to change any of our minds and I doubt we will change yours.

And I will update the OP today, I promise. Apologies for the delay.
Had much more work than expected yesterday and could barely read a few pages. ^^'

Wanted to formally thank you for making this thread. It is a big help. Even if nothing comes of it, it is helping my frustration to talk it out with others.

Could you possibly post another update when you finally do update it? I'd like to go back and read it & I don't check the front page often. :p

And I will update the OP today, I promise. Apologies for the delay.
Had much more work than expected yesterday and could barely read a few pages. ^^'

You owe no-one an apology. Your work to make concise, yet well detailed, the semi-rambling and oftentimes chaotic thoughts of the myriad of posters here, is a service to the community few have the willpower and neutrality of expression to provide.

EDIT: @xE1NSTE1Nx2049 shaedhen is neutral in his expression of user's opinions. His summations or elaborations do not detract nor alter the original theme of the post. This is a rare gift, and I'll dare guess they are, or could be, an effective journalist. Which themselves are rare.

Last edited:
You owe no-one an apology. Your work to make concise, yet well detailed, the semi-rambling and oftentimes chaotic thoughts of the myriad of posters here, is a service to the community few have the willpower and neutrality of expression to provide.

Not totally neutral though. I think @shaedhen prefers Triss too. :p

Well said!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom