Votes: 40 2.9%
  • There was enough of Triss in the game

Votes: 128 9.1%
  • I don't like Triss

Votes: 38 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
More people are supporting a Citadel-dlc like content but honestly, this wouldn't even come close to solving my issues with W3 shafting Triss in favour of Yen. That dlc was a super obvious parody fanservice after all and had no impact on the rest of that game.

As everyone has expressed clearly, Triss in Novigrad was good, pretty great even but afterwards she just stops being important to the game world compared to Yen in almost every regard. Triss said she'd be at Kaer Morhen. I fully expected I could choose who to invite there prior to finding Uma. The fact that I had to wait for Yen to invite Triss there only to be simple manpower support in an upcoming battle was incredibly disappointing. I expected something similar to W2's Roche and Iorveth's main plot split to reward the player in W3 depending on who you favoured be it Triss or Yen. That sorceress would then have more content and import in the main quest-line making the player feel that the choice of romance actually had weight with Triss (Yen already has this by default). Yen having two sex-scenes while Triss only has one sex-scene that leaves much to be desired compared to W2's elven ruins scene (I couldn't believe how tasteful that one turned out, in a game!). And significant interaction between Triss and Yen was a sorely missed opportunity. We got nothing like that. Yen acts like her and Geralt are back together (even the other Witchers just assums this as well with no option to correct them). Yen even throws a fit sending Geralt into a portal in anger which I think only works if the player chose to romance Yen. Triss is almost like a non-character/out of character in and after Kaer Morhen making her seem really insignificant to the overall game. I would most assuredly only dread the impending revisit during a replay (took me 90+ hours first time getting there and I skipped a ton of side-content)... even if I managed to want to replay despite constantly being reminded that, well the game world doesn't actually want Geralt to be with Triss. Seriously what is with that kiss Yen gives toward the end when Triss is just standing there?! Why does the player not have an option here? Or CDprojekt Red could have better presented it with Triss doing something to Yen in return. Choosing how Geralt's personal life progresses, which was a vital part in previous games as I feel it should be, feels completely devoid of any weight to the overall game world if you choose Triss over Yen.

I fully expected, wanted and hoped that W3 would give equal treatment of quality to both Triss and Yen. Triss because of previous games and Yen because of fanservice to the book lovers. We got nothing close to that. A Citadel-type dlc would just be a frustrating reminder that Triss was clearly shafted in favour of Yen in the overall main game.

With the exception of a few other small gripes I have with the game that doesn't really detract from an otherwise brilliant game. This debacle with Triss IS killing the game for me.

Last edited:
I wholeheartedly support this. Patch for the main game issues and some further interaction in the expansions.

They haven't specifically said if they are stopping at two. I'd be surprised if that was it though. They said the second one comes out Q1 of next year - they also said 2015 and 2016 are Witcher-centrique years. That still gives them 9 months to release a third, fan service DLC. I am hopeful. ^_^

Actually I think they'll support the game up until the end of 2016, which actually caused delays in their other games. They have more than enough time to make DLCs for us loyal fans :)

I would imagine this being explained as follows: because Yen expected more from you than from Triss, book-readers said that Triss was in-love with Geralt for quite some time and even if Geralt somehow didn't notice - I bet Yen did. Also, Yen is very practical, I can't recall a single moment in the game where she let her emotions/personal feelings to get in the way of her goals - which can be a pro as much as a con.

Thou all of that might be just a rationalization on my part.

Everyone is fully aware Triss is in love with Geralt in the books.
There's an awful sad and sweet part i remember where she's deathly ill on the road and Geralt tends to her needs intimately. In her sickly state she's trying to be overly intimate and while Geralt clearly cares for her deeply at that time he's determined to be with Yen.

Everyone is fully aware Triss is in love with Geralt in the books.
There's an awful sad and sweet part i remember where she's deathly ill on the road and Geralt tends to her needs intimately. In her sickly state she's trying to be overly intimate and while Geralt clearly cares for her deeply at that time he's determined to be with Yen.

That's just sad

As everyone has expressed clearly, Triss in Novigrad was good, pretty great even but afterwards she just stops being important to the game world compared to Yen in almost every regard. Triss said she'd be at Kaer Morhen. I fully expected I could choose who to invite there prior to finding Uma. The fact that I had to wait for Yen to invite Triss there only to be simple manpower support in an upcoming battle was incredibly disappointing. I expected something similar to W2's Roche and Iorveth's main plot split to reward the player in W3 depending on who you favoured be it Triss or Yen. That sorceress would then have more content and import in the main quest-line making the player feel that the choice of romance actually had weight with Triss (Yen already has this by default). Yen having two sex-scenes while Triss only has one sex-scene that leaves much to be desired compared to W2's elven ruins scene (I couldn't believe how tasteful that one turned out, in a game!). And significant interaction between Triss and Yen was a sorely missed opportunity. We got nothing like that. Yen acts like her and Geralt are back together (even the other Witchers just assums this as well with no option to correct them). Yen even throws a fit sending Geralt into a portal in anger which I think only works if the player chose to romance Yen. Triss is almost like a non-character/out of character in and after Kaer Morhen making her seem really insignificant to the overall game. I would most assuredly only dread the impending revisit during a replay (took me 90+ hours first time getting there and I skipped a ton of side-content)... even if I managed to want to replay despite constantly being reminded that, well the game world doesn't actually want Geralt to be with Triss. Seriously what is with that kiss Yen gives toward the end when Triss is just standing there?! Why does the player not have an option here? Or CDprojekt Red could have better presented it with Triss doing something to Yen in return. Choosing how Geralt's personal life progresses, which was a vital part in previous games as I feel it should be, feels completely devoid of any weight to the overall game world if you choose Triss over Yen.

I fully expected, wanted and hoped that W3 would give equal treatment of quality to both Triss and Yen. Triss because of previous games and Yen because of fanservice to the book lovers. We got nothing close to that.

I didn't expect a branching narrative. It wouldn't work well in open world anyway but the main reason is that they all have reason to be there because the heart of the story is about Ciri. Removing one of them would have been bad just as sidelining Triss to the degree they did was bad.

I like the Yen telepopting Geralt into a lake. It's understandable if she's upset if dumped or dealing with notion of Geralt having been with Triss if they are back togetehr. What annoys me is the dialogue choice during that sequence lacks any reactivity to the choice and implies a Geralt who's still with her.

The kiss and the whole of Kaer Morhen treatment for Triss is bizarre. Like the cinematics of her jealous stare was added at the last minute and for some reason they couldn't change the Yen kiss to a moment of re-uniting for Triss or at least something neutral involving yen. Like i 've said multiple times something is rotten in the state of Kaer Morhen when it comes to Triss. Hopefull it'll be addressed by the devs.

I wanted much closer to equal treatment. Was worried we'd get Yen as only choice, so right now i'm in a more positive frame of mind because she's there and a real option even if i'm frustrated by some of the decisions they made to exclude her and exclude reactivity towards her choice.

I would imagine this being explained as follows: because Yen expected more from you than from Triss, book-readers said that Triss was in-love with Geralt for quite some time and even if Geralt somehow didn't notice - I bet Yen did. Also, Yen is very practical, I can't recall a single moment in the game where she let her emotions/personal feelings to get in the way of her goals - which can be a pro as much as a con.

If I recall correctly, there are some scenes in the books where Yennefer scolds Triss for her feelings, but Geralt wasn't there at these moments, or just couldn't hear them. Pretty much like this game.

More people are supporting a Citadel-dlc like content but honestly, this wouldn't even come close to solving my issues with W3 shafting Triss in favour of Yen. That dlc was a super obvious parody fanservice after all and had no impact on the rest of that game.

I fully expected, wanted and hoped that W3 would give equal treatment of quality to both Triss and Yen. Triss because of previous games and Yen because of fanservice to the book lovers. We got nothing close to that. A Citadel-type dlc would just be a frustrating reminder that Triss was clearly shafted in favour of Yen in the overall main game.

With the exception of a few other small gripes I have with the game that doesn't really detract from an otherwise brilliant game. This debacle with Triss IS killing the game for me.

I actually agree with you BUT I think the odds of them patching the game so we get a more satisfying Triss romance are very low (sadly)
A Citadel-like DLC is a bit more probably (or any other DLC with Triss for that matter). It would still be disappointing of course since Triss was shafted in the main game but one can't say no to more Triss right?

I actually agree with you BUT I think the odds of them patching the game so we get a more satisfying Triss romance are very low (sadly)
A Citadel-like DLC is a bit more probably (or any other DLC with Triss for that matter). It would still be disappointing of course since Triss was shafted in the main game but one can't say no to more Triss right?

I too agree but think it's very unlikely.
That however doesn't mean we should stop advocating for our ideal situation. Lets let CDPR decide what's feasible and what's not - that's their job after all. Our job is to simply tell them what we want.

I feel like I'm mostly repeating myself sadly. This whole thing has just turned me bitter. I fully know it's a long shot that CDprojekt Red'll adress these issues we all have but it certainly doesn't turn me away from voicing my apparent despair...

I agree with most of the points you raised. With hindsight, Triss in Witcher 3 is almost comparable to Keira Metz. A character that is using for several quest and disappears toward Kaer Morhen with a scene of romance (according to the choices).
What I do not understand is that Triss stay with Geralt (the scene of the boat). It was a sex scene between them then nothing. IShe stays with Geralt for better go away? Why do not we have the choice of take Triss on Skellige with us?

This would not prevent Yennefer of Skellige shined. But knowing how it behaves, we could have funny scenes in adventure Skellige with Triss, Geralt and Yennefer ^^ For those who wanted Yennefer, by not taking Triss, Yennefer was the only on Skellige. Where is the problem?

In addition, Triss is concerned Ciri too. But it is not directly related to the main quest. Here Keira Metz accompanies us still facing an important moment to find Ciri (when the wild hunt we meet for the first time ...).

And this problem : Kaer Morhen where Triss is absente when Yennefer is present ... It's just weird. Same for Keira who would normally go to Kaer Morhen directly ...
I remember that once arrived at Kaer Morhen, I searched the castle to find Triss and Keira but nothing! :wall:

Is there someone who has tried to do Skellige before Novigrad? (What would have been the most logical sense for the unfolding of history.) Is this might have an impact?

Last edited:
@xxggxx

When I think of it, I see no reason Triss couldn't have gone with Geralt to Skellige since there were no active Witch Hunters on Skellige. It's people were mostly refleshingly positive toward witcher's and sorcerers which I liked a lot. But CDprojekt Red purposefully chose Skellige to develop an attachement to Yen for the player. That I can understand minus the automatic flirtation the player has no control over.

I too was rather bewildered that, when finally arriving in Kaer Morhen, there was not even a mention of Triss being there or Keira for that matter, since you know, she said she'd go there. I searched in frustration for quite awhile... just a bizarre design decicion all around.

Last edited:

I would accept that somehow but Geralt broke up with her after 20 years. Dont u think she wants to know why if Geralt was the whole last year with Triss?

@phyxius

The main reason why I've not been suggesting a Citadel DLC type of solution is because, like you said, it's just fan service. I'm nowhere near as invested nor disappointed as sometimes this thread makes people seem, but what I do care about is telling a compelling story.

The only real way to fix the Triss disappointment properly is to take a few steps back and put more emphasis on showing Geralt's own thoughts and feelings about his hunt for Ciri. By extension, he'll have to find answers to some tough questions that you mostly avoid during the course of the game. Sure, you get to choose between Triss/Yen but you never really get to voice what Geralt thinks about Triss taking advantage of him or that Yen never went out of her way to go find and help him. I firmly believe that getting to make some choices on Geralt's stance on questions like that would also feed back into the romances AND the main story to make both more fulfilling.

There are a few really nice moments where you see the cracks in Geralt's tough-guy routine, like when you allow Dudu to transform into Ciri. Those moments remind us that Geralt's character is driven by a strong bond and they end up enhancing the whole experience. I just feel his brain needs to be picked a lot more by his best friends throughout the game.

Couple that with an extended epilogue along the lines of what I suggested in my second post in this thread and you'd have a much more rewarding experience without having to rework major elements of the story.

Last edited:
I'm with you guys!

I'm also really depressed right now at how they handeled Triss ;(. But as far as I can read most, if not all, has already been said. So I guess I'll just voice my support.

More Triss is what we want!

@Zeroscape

Great insight. Touching upon things I felt unresolved but should have been during my playthrough, I never thought to bring up myself - About never getting to actively voice Geralt's reasoning behind these important decicions in front of him to his closest and most dear to him. Another missed opportunity sadly.

Last edited:
Yeah but he tried to justify the lazy writing with some poor excuses
It seems like CDPR doesn't think that they did anything wrong regarding Triss

I actually had the impression @GingerEffect does favor Triss over Yennefer as well. Furthermore I think he alone can't give us more Triss consistency in the story, nor a Triss DLC/Expansion. BUT maybe he can bring the other devs to do so ---> we can talk and write here all day long, 24 hours, 7 days a week and so on and so forth, this is not a guarantee for change.
If GingerEffect does bring this point up in some meetings and discussions, there's a lot more hope for us ... So let us hope, he is as magically bounded/fascinated by Triss and her charming smiles and flashy eyes as we are.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom