Votes: 40 2.9%
  • There was enough of Triss in the game

Votes: 128 9.1%
  • I don't like Triss

Votes: 38 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You are absolutely right.Yen really care about Geralt and she is not a bad character at all.

"I found it quite hard to really identify her personality"

There is the difference between you and me. This is the key.
If you really understand who she is (what she means with every word ,
what her realtionship with Geralt really is) there is no way
you can choose Yen over Triss (or at least i can't) :)

I think I should clarify what I meant when I said that specifically. I do like Triss as a character and I think she definitely has been interesting over the course of the games. Notwithstanding, I haven't read the books so my comparison here is in the context of the games, and in my opinion as an extended fanfic I think it's good sometimes to be conscious of that. So what I mean is: when I think over the interactions between Geralt and Yen and the compare them to the ones he has with Triss, especially regarding their personality, is not about the depth of the character in regards to the story or their meaning of words (because there are definitely things that Triss says in a short sentence but manages to say a lot, for instance when you ask her about the Rose of Rememberance I thought the reply was very well crafted) but rather their organic interaction.

Yen, like Geralt, actually says many things unrelated to the task, she jokes with Geralt and she does things that simply make her character pop out. You get a really good feel for what sort of humor she has, you can sense her temperament and the sort of mood she has. While for Triss, as this thread shows, does not have that sort of exposure in her dialogue or banter. Despite having all that potential to be just as good as Yen in these regards we don't hear Triss nearly as much in that relaxed/organic exchange. So when I said that I had a hard time identifying her personality I was essentially agreeing with you. Triss has a personality, obviously, but what I meant was that the dialogue and banter that we have in the game doesn't bring it out. What happened was that we got a lot of task related banter and dialogue with the next populous being the romancing dialogue. As I said in my op, there is a lot of dialogue that should be there but isn't. What's most disappointing is that it renders Triss quite monotone in the game and you don't see her pop out as much as Yen. You don't see much humor from her or non-relevant observational banter, etc,. And that's what I meant by hard to identify her personality, and not that she has no personality. Just by going back and examining Geralt's and Triss's relationship in the previous games one would think that in W3 she would've had a lot of character development and exposition but she doesn't.

I get that you understand Triss and what sort of character she is, but if you were to strictly go by the game on it's own (since CDPR said you can play W3 without having played previous games) I find it very difficult rationalizing the existence of a romance between Geralt and Triss over Yen. When I compare the moments of the Last Wish quest to the Pyres of Novigrad I just can't imagine myself saying no to Yen, even though this is the first time I have seen her character, and have in mind that I liked Triss a lot in the previous games. Yen's quest basically revolves about her insecurity about their relationship, she thought that there would be some immense physical sensation, etc., she has at that point completely exposed herself which makes the moment all the more emotional. With Now or Never the entire quest revolved around Triss's objective of getting the mages out and whatever romance achieved in it was a side dish ultimately climaxing in the, "Noooooo, don't go, I love you!", choice that the player is presented with. Clearly, as the player, if you have invested into the romance up to this point it's still going to be emotional, but that moment was more spontaneous, forced to due to her impending departure. You know that she is hoping, but there is also the knowledge carried by both characters that despite their re-connection and that it would hurt to say no to her, it would also not be the end of the world for her; whereas for Yen, as she exposes herself completely vulnerable, saying no to her at that moment seems like it would be much more than a heartbreak.

That is what I mean by that Yen, as far as how the game is currently, just has so much more weight. Every moment Geralt spends with her, regardless of what they are doing, you can see their interaction as something more than ordinary and even though I never knew Yen it still imparted a feeling of cherished history between the characters. Triss on the other hand, regardless of what the opinions are, we can objectively say that between W2 and W3 there is enough to reasonably think there should be tension and that the way you can instantly begin to romance her, if you choose, really doesn't make sense. Not only that but the lack of Triss's presence in the game makes it much harder to appreciate any progress in the relationship between the two, so much so that by the end of Now or Never the weight of the situation is not even near to that of Last Wish.

Last edited:
I would even say better appropriate treatment. I do not care if there is a sex scene and more or not, I especially want more interactivity and intimate moments with Triss! Better dialogues with Geralt and Triss and better development than has been done after selecting Triss as a romantic advantage in the game...

Otherwise, I wanted to share a thought:

I am currently reading the novels (I started) and arrive at the end of "A Grain of Truth" I imagine the best ending (for me) with Geralt and Triss (something simple):

3 years later, Kovir, Geralt arrives home with Ablette after a contract Witcher accomplished. On the threshold of the house awaits Triss, now long red hair and in her arms a little girl or boy about 1 year ½ . Triss laying on the ground and it runs towards Geralt who takes her in his arms. All this accompanied by a narration by Geralt and Triss (voice off):
Geralt "There's a grain of truth in every fairy tale. Love and blood. They both possess a mighty power. Wizards and learned men have been racking their brains over this for years, but they haven't arrived at anything except that…"
Triss "It has to be true love."

I know, Geralt and Triss are sterile, normally. But in the novel, I feel that Andrzej Sapkowski insists that "true love" is capable of anything and that is the most powerful magic that exists. The above narration, for those who have not read the novel, is something that Geralt said in "A Grain of Truth". ^^

Obviously not everything. Yennefer dies trying to revive her true love at the end of the Saga...

My sentiments. To classify everyone who has posted in this thread as narrow-minded shippers is totally immature.

A good deal of us have posed arguments on why it appears that Triss content is lacking in light of in-game lore. Some of us are concerned with the integrity of CDPR porducts, which have been outstanding even in Wild Hunt but could have been better. The Lambert, Geralt, and Eskel moment in KM is a perfect example of what could have been done in the third act to show the intimate involvement between Ciri/Yen/Geralt/Triss. Statements by Yen and Triss' "little sister" comment are inadequate in demonstrating a tangible tight bond between the four of them. Funnily enough, Yen nor Geralt make disparaging remarks about Triss, so this shows some degree of protectionism over her on their parts that should be respected from gamers regardless on who you prefer. The devs clearly didn't want to display Triss as some vile degenerate as they have rarely have done with any character throughout the series.

Because the bond between Triss and Ciri is minimal compared to the bond that Ciri and Yennefer share. This isn't even a matter of a debate.

---------- Updated at 08:05 PM ----------

Yeah, and was has this other thread got to do with this one? A true detective, right here.

You hate Triss, we got that. You hate Mass Effect, Dragon Age and Bioware, we got that too. Now, could you please stop bitching around? That would be great, thanks.

I'll stop "bitching around" when all of you stop begging for more dating simulation. It's pretty simple what the other thread has to do with this one. Triss fans are complaining specifically about Triss not having enough sex scenes. They are complaining about Triss not having enough "romance moments". They're complaining about nonsense. Not only that, but as I said, people were complaining in this thread about the cut sex scene with Triss.

I think Triss is a good character, not one that I can say I'd like if she were a real person, but nevertheless she is a good character. I'm just saying that adding anymore Triss content would be a detriment to adding content for other, better characters, or new storylines. Which is completely true. I'll make that argument to the end.

Last edited:
I found that it wasn't just Triss' act 3 that was poor, but the entire act in general.
Act 3 was the worst part of the game and the lack of Triss isn't even the biggest reason
Agree! ACT3 is a bit rushed. Lack of interaction, boring story (compare to ACT1 and 2)... When I played ACT3 I had no interest in exploring or something, I just wanted to finish all the main quests asap.
And even the combats. Many players complain the BOSS fights are NOT well designed.

Because the bond between Triss and Ciri is minimal compared to the bond that Ciri and Yennefer share. This isn't even a matter of a debate.

I'll stop "bitching around" when all of you stop begging for more dating simulation.

I think Triss is a good character, not one that I can say I'd like if she were a real person, but nevertheless she is a good character. I'm just saying that adding anymore Triss content would be a detriment to adding content for other, better characters, or new storylines. Which is completely true. I'll make that argument to the end.

Again the better character argument is subjective, a term you don't seem to get at all

And quite conveniently you didn't respond to my post, TW3 is already a dating sim if we go by your definition
Your bitching is getting tiresome

I think I should clarify what I meant when I said that specifically. I do like Triss as a character and I think she definitely has been interesting over the course of the games. Notwithstanding, I haven't read the books so my comparison here is in the context of the games, and in my opinion as an extended fanfic I think it's good sometimes to be conscious of that. So what I mean is: when I think over the interactions between Geralt and Yen and the compare them to the ones he has with Triss, especially regarding their personality, is not about the depth of the character in regards to the story or their meaning of words (because there are definitely things that Triss says in a short sentence but manages to say a lot, for instance when you ask her about the Rose of Rememberance I thought the reply was very well crafted) but rather their organic interaction.

Yen, like Geralt, actually says many things unrelated to the task, she jokes with Geralt and she does things that simply make her character pop out. You get a really good feel for what sort of humor she has, you can sense her temperament and the sort of mood she has. While for Triss, as this thread shows, does not have that sort of exposure in her dialogue or banter. Despite having all that potential to be just as good as Yen in these regards we don't hear Triss nearly as much in that relaxed/organic exchange. So when I said that I had a hard time identifying her personality I was essentially agreeing with you. Triss has a personality, obviously, but what I meant was that the dialogue and banter that we have in the game doesn't bring it out. What happened was that we got a lot of task related banter and dialogue with the next populous being the romancing dialogue. As I said in my op, there is a lot of dialogue that should be there but isn't. What's most disappointing is that it renders Triss quite monotone in the game and you don't see her pop out as much as Yen. You don't see much humor from her or non-relevant observational banter, etc,. And that's what I meant by hard to identify her personality, and not that she has no personality. Just by going back and examining Geralt's and Triss's relationship in the previous games one would think that in W3 she would've had a lot of character development and exposition but she doesn't.

I get that you understand Triss and what sort of character she is, but if you were to strictly go by the game on it's own (since CDPR said you can play W3 without having played previous games) I find it very difficult rationalizing the existence of a romance between Geralt and Triss over Yen. When I compare the moments of the Last Wish quest to the Pyres of Novigrad I just can't imagine myself saying no to Yen, even though this is the first time I have seen her character, and have in mind that I liked Triss a lot in the previous games. Yen's quest basically revolves about her insecurity about their relationship, she thought that there would be some immense physical sensation, etc., she has at that point completely exposed herself which makes the moment all the more emotional. With Now or Never the entire quest revolved around Triss's objective of getting the mages out and whatever romance achieved in it was a side dish ultimately climaxing in the, "Noooooo, don't go, I love you!", choice that the player is presented with. Clearly, as the player, if you have invested into the romance up to this point it's still going to be emotional, but that moment was more spontaneous, forced to due to her impending departure. You know that she is hoping, but there is also the knowledge carried by both characters that despite their re-connection and that it would hurt to say no to her, but it would also not be the end of the world for her; whereas for Yen, as she exposes herself completely vulnerable, saying no to her at that moment seems like it would be much more than a heartbreak.

That is what I mean by that Yen, as far as how the game is currently, just has so much more weight. Every moment Geralt spends with her, regardless of what they are doing, you can see their interaction as something more than ordinary and even though I never knew Yen it still imparted a feeling of cherished history between the characters. Triss on the other hand, regardless of what the opinions are, we can objectively say that between W2 and W3 there is enough to reasonably think there should be tension and that the way you can instantly begin to romance her, if you choose, really doesn't make sense. Not only that but the lack of Triss's presence in the game makes it much harder to appreciate any progress in the relationship between the two, so much so that by the end of Now or Never the weight of the situation is not even near to that of Last Wish.

Agreed! This is why the Triss romance option was problematic in light of where the devs were deciding to go with Yen and Geralt. I still stick to the opinion that the devs hit a snag when they made the decision to incorporate the Triss romance at the end of development to try to appease the immediate backlash. They tried to develop something that had no place in the overarching story they had fashioned from the start.

The current view from Saricc's webcam.

Attachments

• Fishing.jpg
    Fishing.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 45
Again the better character argument is subjective, a term you don't seem to get at all

And quite conveniently you didn't respond to my post, TW3 is already a dating sim if we go by your definition
Your bitching is getting tiresome

I don't see or reply to every single post. Sorry I'm not at your beck and call. And you're talking to me about bitching? This thread is literally for people bitching about Triss not having enough content... even though she has more than enough.

Saying Triss is a better character than Yennefer, Dandelion, or even Zolton, is like saying that Jar Jar Binks is better than Chewbacca. I mean I guess you can have that opinion, but not all opinions are equal.

Seriously though... You might think Triss' personality is better than Yennefer's, but as a fully fleshed out and developed character Yennefer is about 100x better. It's not really a comparison that can be made.

---------- Updated at 08:17 PM ----------

Mate you had gone mad...
What we want here, in this thread, is just more interactions.

You want more interactions specifically with the character you romanced, even if that means making other things worse. Not just more interactions.

---------- Updated at 08:19 PM ----------

The current view from Saricc's webcam.

Come back with an argument if you actually have the capacity within your brain to make one.

Agreed. However, we don't get much of the Yen and Ciri dynamic either. It is, in fact, nonexistent with the exception of passing comments by NPCs. The respect and protectionism Yen has for Triss is also flat, as it is presented. Again, I don't have any serious issue with the writing for Wild Hunt because, like I have said before, I lavish praise on the devs for what they have produced. I have also said that others may find my criticism as minor, even trivial, and I totally understand and respect those sentiments. I may be even setting a high standard for CDPR to hold too, but I think that is what has made their team such a success. They accept the challenge and pressure expected of them from their fans, and they want to excel all the time. The only thing that I have argued for is character development, which translates to story development from how I have absorbed the game. I have also said that if this cannot be done for Triss, who I feel was a bit shafted given what she has been presented as by in-game characters and CDPR's PR and marketing teams, then so be it. I am not going to have a tantrum over what is a wonderful product as it stands, but I do hope that CDPR does take our concerns to heart when crafting future games.

Last edited:
Saying Triss is a better character than Yennefer, Dandelion, or even Zolton, is like saying that Jar Jar Binks is better than Chewbacca. I mean I guess you can have that opinion, but not all opinions are equal.

Not sure what you're talking about now or where you get these ideas from, but I'm not going to bite.

It's a bit bigoted to consider your opinion on characters final and attempt to force this on others.

You may have read the books, but you've not read this thread's main points... shame really.

You want more interactions specifically with the character you romanced, even if that means making other things worse. Not just more interactions.
WHY more interactions = making other things worse?
And Triss is not the only character lacking of interaction in late game, she is just one typical example (but the serious issue if chose her as lover).
Your points are based on your dislike of Triss, we don't want to argue she is good or bad, but can you show some respect to other fans?

Seriously? This is like some garbage comment you would read on YouTube.

Like I have said a thousand times... Triss is a tertiary character in the books. Yennefer is a main character. Overall her development is way better and she is WAAAAY more important than Triss is to the overall story.

People just calm down and stay on topic please.

We all know what we want. We talked about that for like 200 pages. Dont let someone bug you for no reason and chillout. Since we dont talk 24/7 about Triss and also about conversations with Yen and Ciri and others (which you cant romance by the way lol) you all know that we dont want a romance sim ;)

Keep being constructive as always and some day a RED will appear and tell us whats the plan.

I don't see or reply to every single post. Sorry I'm not at your beck and call. And you're talking to me about bitching? This thread is literally for people bitching about Triss not having enough content... even though she has more than enough.

Seriously though... You might think Triss' personality is better than Yennefer's, but as a fully fleshed out and developed character Yennefer is about 100x better. It's not really a comparison that can be made.

---------- Updated at 08:17 PM ----------

---------- Updated at 08:19 PM ----------

Come back with an argument if you actually have the capacity within your brain to make one.

Are you seriously comparing Triss with Jar Jar Binks? Sry but you just lost all credibility
Talk about all opinions not being equal damm

Triss is a better character than Yen ever was BUT contrary to you I know that thats just my opinion not a fact

WHY more interactions = making other things worse?
And Triss is not the only character lacking of interaction in late game, she is just one typical example (but the serious issue if chose her as lover).
Your points are based on your dislike of Triss, we don't want to argue she is good or bad, but can you show some respect to other fans?

I don't mince words.

Adding more interaction with Triss would be a detriment because it would take time away from adding to better, more important characters, specifically for sake of appeasing some fans that feel they didn't get enough time to romance Triss. Hence the dating sim comments.

I don't mince words.

Adding more interaction with Triss would be a detriment because it would take time away from adding to better, more important characters, specifically for sake of appeasing some fans that feel they didn't get enough time to romance Triss. Hence the dating sim comments.

Dude pls stop you are embarrassing yourself at this point

Are you seriously comparing Triss with Jar Jar Binks? Sry but you just lost all credibility
Talk about all opinions not being equal damm

Triss is a better character than Yen ever was BUT contrary to you I know that thats just my opinion not a fact

No, I wasn't seriously comparing her to Jar Jar Binks, hence why I said "seriously though" right after that. Glad you have such great reading comprehension.

I mean the characters really are not comparable. Yennefer is by far a better character. You might personally feel that Triss has a better personality, but she has nowhere near the amount of depth and development that Yennefer has. This is a given considering Yennefer is a main character in the books, while Triss is more of a minor character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom