The Tutorial Compendium

+

Guest 3841499

I created a custom texture folder by uncooking several texture packs into it and over-writing files based on the priority I wanted. Now I need to cook/pack that folder. How do I do it? Many tools ask to point to directory where the entire game is uncooked - why would I need to uncook the whole game???

Guest 3841499

Where's the guide on importing XML files? I had a mod with a bunch of textures and meshes incorrectly packaged in bundle file and I repackaged it into proper format with texture.cache, but I keep getting "duplicate XML file not found" errors from W3Oven and Mod Merger. Is there a guide on how to properly import XML files?

MonarchX xml files are already cooked so the only thing you need to do to them is pack them and generate a metadata file for them. So this is the command you would use for witcher3 modkit tools.

cd C:\Witcher3ModTools\bin\x64

call wcc_lite pack -dir=C:\W3\mods\modAXML -outdir=C:\W3\mods\cookedxml

wcc_lite metadatastore -path=C:\W3\mods\cookedxml

all the directories can be changed to whatever you want. Your outdir and path (on the last line) need to be the same folder.

Edit : cd C:\Witcher3ModTools\bin\x64 this is the location of where your modkit tools are located at so change it to where its at on your pc.

Guest 3841499

But can XML mods come with other non-XMl material, such as textures and/or meshes? I just re-packaged NitPicker's Patch because it includes textures and meshes without the texture.cache file. Instead of using texture.cache, it bundles everything. I repackaged it appropriately, including XML files which I included only as cooked material when finalizing the mod with W3Edit. The issue is that Mod Manager keeps spitting out "Copy of 'dlc\bob\data\gameplay\items\def_item_gloves.xml' failed: input file does not exits", even though it very much exists and gets uncooked with W3Oven and unpacked with QuickBMS...

Another thing I wanted to know is how to crate your own "fallback dependency" . I see that with texture mods that have their own custom textures that do not exist in vanilla game.

MonarchX i just use ModMerger to create my own bundles of textures etc. First go to File menu at the top then settings now the section that says misc options select the last 2 boxes and put checks in them hit ok. Now select all the mods you want to merge. It will pause after its done uncooking them you can add or remove files at this point in the uncooked folder. Now hit ok on the message and it will now go to the cooking process part. It will pause again and delete or add files again and this is the stage where you add your w2mesh files, env, w2anim, w2p (fx or particle files), xml files, swf files hit ok again and it will pack and finish up the mod.

For creating your fallback folder for texture mods you need to edit the files with mod editor. I will take brutal blood for example. You will see the w2p files open up bies_blood.w2p file go to the 2 line that is CMaterialInstance halfway down you will see this CBitmapTexture:fx\textures\blood\blood_4x2.xbm this is the line that deals with where the texture files are located for
that fx file. What i did is expand out or stretch the window out for the values section because it makes it easier to select CBitmapTexture:fx\textures\blood\blood_4x2.xbm. Sometimes you have to click CBitmapTexture:fx\textures\blood\blood_4x2.xbm 2 or 3 times then a window will pop up that says handle followed by fx\textures\blood\blood_4x2.xbm. This is the box that allows you to edit the texture location.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/27ok9...%20example.jpg

the window i stretched out is highlighted in blue

Last edited:

Guest 3841499

Thanks! Its so cool that there's a feature like that!

I'm in the process of that myself. The hair meshes are found in characters\models\geralt\coif\model folder once you Uncook the files.

There's some terminology i'm having a hard time with, and i wonder if anyone can help me (i wanted to make a thread asking about it, but i'm new).

There are three seemingly identical meshes for the same piece of hair, with just slightly different size (in the 100KB range, thereabouts) and just ending in a different suffix. As in "c_02_mg__halftail_long", then "c_02_mg__halftail_long_br" and "c_02_mg__halftail_long_inq", with no discernible difference otherwise.

There's also a variant on the prefix, where one will be "c_02_mg__halftail_long", and a little ways down the list there will be c_02a_mg__halftail_long, with the difference being the hair mesh being slightly weighted down in it's pose (maybe when the hair is wet?).

Not all hair sets seem to have all of these variations, but enough of them do that i need an understanding of what they're for. Is anyone able to help?

EDIT: I understand the _br and _inq suffixes seem to be different instances of it being tucked, though i'm not sure i understand the difference beyond perhaps different types of armor. Still no idea as to where the prefixes apply, though.

Last edited:
Hello guys!
Faced the following problem - I can not change stats for witcher's set armor. Witcher's-set weapons is changes, as well as any others armor or weapon (made a fully working mod with Ofir's-set armor, Ofir crossbow, Olgierd sabre, Aerondight.), but not the armor... Can anybody help?

The link to changing Gwent cards doesn't work (error 404). I'm new to modding and have been trying all day but when I uncook the game files the gwent card textures are not uncooked. I think they are supposed to be in gameplay\gui_new\icons\gwint\xxx but after uncooking, with Modkit 1.30 and Motkitchen the texture files are not there. I've also tried adding the -redswf command (I saw someone in another thread mention this but that also didn't work.

Any tips on how to proceed from here? I never thought that changing some static images would be this hard lol.

Hi, I need help with the dlc I've created. I made overpowered swords just for fun and everything actually worked except for the name of the swords and armors. Normally weapon names is on top and below it is the description.

For example:

WITCHER WOLF STEEL SWORD
STEELSWORD

For example its supposed to look like:

RUDRA
STEELSWORD

My problem is that the name disappeared, and only the description "STEELSWORD remained. The overpowered stats are all there and it really works in combat.

I've attached my xml code in the notepad

P.S. some of the names have capitalized and some are not, some have spaces too so that I'll know the difference.
UPDATE: looks like it has something to do with localisation_key_name / localisation_key_description now I just need help with this because I've already tried putting "", underscore and even if I don't put any space its still the same.

UPDATE: after days of research I've finally found my answer. Looks like all I need to do is to change the UsePlaceholdersForMissingStrings to True and that's it. Now, whatever I put in with localisation_key_name gets into the game.

Attachments

• swords.txt
    23.7 KB · Views: 93
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Hello everyone.
I ran into a small problem. I can’t understand how to add a text for the created book? I mean what the key should be in the localization file because in the XLM file it is not indicated.

Is there anyway to add the bracer (wore by the blacksmith in the black circle) as a outfit for glove for Geralt?

Attachments

• The Witcher 3 1_15_2024 1_28_03 AM.png
    The Witcher 3 1_15_2024 1_28_03 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • The Witcher 3 1_15_2024 1_28_03 AM.png
    The Witcher 3 1_15_2024 1_28_03 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
Top Bottom