The two main problems of gwent

+
I think it is quite a common ground that right now gwent has serious balance issues. Being not a game designer I consider my self quite an experienced player and I wanted to give my humble opinion of wich are the two out of control horses that are guiding this game to the abyss.

1. Uninteractive card everywhere:

The frist main problem of the game is the increasing number of cards that get their full value with out any posibility of response from the other player. I am not only talking about deploy habilities or zeal, but also cards that keep coming back to the savety of the deck with out any chance to answer them. I am sorry but these are terrible game experience in wich you can only watch how your doom comes to you with out you having any posible response. The solution to this problem is quite obvious stop doing cards that get their full value on deploy, give them order or at the end of the round instead. Gwent should be a game of preparation faint and bluffing not brainless point slams. We need more cards like Damien de la Tour and less Simlas.

2. Continue powercreep:

This may be an unpopular opinion but we need more nerfs and less buff or reworks. I understand that new content is needed to keep people engaged but the truth is that these reworks and buff are not increasing the number of viable decks, they are limiting it to the new shinny OP deck. Two year ago I manage too get from 25 to Pro with a Nilfgaard soldiers deck, not even then was a top meta deck, but I knew it really well and people didn't, now after 2 years of 0 support I don't think the deck will be able to get my past ranke 7 or 6, the deck is not worse of what it was simply the meta has moved forward too much. We need that some months the path are of pure nerfs, the game is like a tower that continues to add more levels with out a good foundation maintenance.

Those are my too main points of why the game is getting out of control, sorry if the text has spelling or grammar errors but english is not my mother language. What do other players think about it?

Uninteractive card design is such a problem that I believe the top NG deck this season is mill, for simply no other reason than being able to delete OP deploy cards like Highland Warrior or Travelling Priestess before they are played. It's really sad things have gotten to this point.

The frist main problem of the game is the increasing number of cards that get their full value with out any posibility of response from the other player. I am not only talking about deploy habilities or zeal, but also cards that keep coming back to the savety of the deck with out any chance to answer them. I am sorry but these are terrible game experience in wich you can only watch how your doom comes to you with out you having any posible response. The solution to this problem is quite obvious stop doing cards that get their full value on deploy, give them order or at the end of the round instead. Gwent should be a game of preparation faint and bluffing not brainless point slams. We need more cards like Damien de la Tour and less Simlas.
100% agree! Card design got a lot better over the years, but every single time they release new cards there is some support for uninteractive pointslam - Giant Toad, Terranova, Viy, most evolving cards, and many Many MANY more.

This game has become beyond ridiculous, clowny fun ridiculous though, ridiculous nonetheless, calling this an esport well haha maybe in clown land it is, still a fun game and as bonus sometimes also not fun, in the end it is what it is, just a game not a sport orso something serious.

Maybe there should be a difference between Ranked cards and Casual cards:

Ranked cards can always be used in the deck.

Casual cards can only be used in Unranked matches.

Ranked can have professionel status, like profession starter deck consisting of ranked card starter decks instead of the starter decks we have now which can't be removed.

Some cards can get the tag 'Casual', like e.g. Vey, Vypper, Archgriffin. Rioghan, these can only be used in unranked decks. So unranked becomes clownmode or call it freedom or creative mode or sometjng

Last edited:
Traveling Priestess needs nerfed. Way ridiculously overpowered... I'm not talking a 1 provision nerf. I'm talking beaten to a bloody pulp with the nerf stick, I mean at the very least get rid of zeal. There's not a damn thing wrong with Giant Toad. In fact I think it's a fun card. There's nothing overpowered about it.

I think it is quite a common ground that right now gwent has serious balance issues. Being not a game designer I consider my self quite an experienced player and I wanted to give my humble opinion of wich are the two out of control horses that are guiding this game to the abyss.

2. Continue powercreep:

This may be an unpopular opinion but we need more nerfs and less buff or reworks. I understand that new content is needed to keep people engaged but the truth is that these reworks and buff are not increasing the number of viable decks, they are limiting it to the new shinny OP deck. Two year ago I manage too get from 25 to Pro with a Nilfgaard soldiers deck, not even then was a top meta deck, but I knew it really well and people didn't, now after 2 years of 0 support I don't think the deck will be able to get my past ranke 7 or 6, the deck is not worse of what it was simply the meta has moved forward too much. We need that some months the path are of pure nerfs, the game is like a tower that continues to add more levels with out a good foundation maintenance.

Those are my too main points of why the game is getting out of control, sorry if the text has spelling or grammar errors but english is not my mother language. What do other players think about it?
Agreed. Sihil for example is just broken. A special that returns to your hand instantly and gets stronger every time. Sure you need to destroy a 1 power enemy unit at first, but with spies or patricial fury this isn't hard at all.
It's not a coincidence that I keep encountering the same combos everytime. This doesn't encourage creative deckbuilding at all, which is the main reason I like card games.
Unless they follow your advice, I think I'm done playing this game.

Agreed. Sihil for example is just broken. A special that returns to your hand instantly and gets stronger every time. Sure you need to destroy a 1 power enemy unit at first, but with spies or patricial fury this isn't hard at all.
It's not a coincidence that I keep encountering the same combos everytime. This doesn't encourage creative deckbuilding at all, which is the main reason I like card games.
Unless they follow your advice, I think I'm done playing this game.
I am new to this game and had the unfortunate experience of playing someone with Sihil, it just kept coming back out and destroying higher and higher power cards of mine, it was impossible as my deck wasn't at the level of my opponent's in the first place, it just destroyed me.
Post automatically merged:

2. Continue powercreep:

What is the thing with the huge boost effect of Sir Scratch a Lot, I played several opponents in the Plus One version and OMG it was unbelievable, I just sat there watching my opponent spawn kitty after kitty and ended up with over 200 points, I on the other hand could do almost nothing!

DRK3

Forum veteran
What is the thing with the huge boost effect of Sir Scratch a Lot, I played several opponents in the Plus One version and OMG it was unbelievable, I just sat there watching my opponent spawn kitty after kitty and ended up with over 200 points, I on the other hand could do almost nothing!
Dont bother with Plus One seasonal, its so unbelievably broken even the devs gave up on it, and on the last dev stream they said this is the last time its going to be active, they will retire it (and replace it) instead of trying to balance it. :giveup:

they will retire it (and replace it) instead of trying to balance it.
And that's utterly disappointing. This is one of many interesting and original seasonal modes that will get scrapped, because of some cards breaking them. And instead "simply" blacklisting the problematic cards, whole modes are being dumped. In case of Plus One, removing Idarran would make the mode much healthier and interesting to play :shrug:

Top Bottom