The Ultimate Witcher 4 Thread

+

Do you think there might be The Witcher 4 after Cyberpunk?

• Yes

• No

• Not sure

• No response

Results are only viewable after voting.
It's gonna be called Northern Kingdoms Episode I: Return of the Monster Slayer. No, not Witcher. Absolutely not.

We built something that's totally not a flame thrower.

We built not-a-flame-thrower, it's absolutely not a flame thrower. We made sure to write it on the box. Big bold letters. Not a flame thrower. It shoots fire like one, but it's just a big blow torch.

1587583017009.jpeg

I don't understand why the Geralt saga needs to be over. Why just end his arc when we and the creators have invested so much time into developing and understanding his character, his personality, his romances, his loves and hates. He's by far the best thing about the series and I don't know why he wouldn't be the protagonist in the fourth game.

The creator of Geralt killed him most likely via heart attack... let him drift into the wind or bring him in for the briefest of cameos in the next witcher game. You play him at a Gwent tournament or face him in a knight's tournament.

Last edited:
Why not give the player the choice in the next game.. Play as Gerald or another Witcher. Everybody happy.

I think such a mechanic would be almost impossible to pull off. One of the defining characteristics of CDPR's games were finely crafted narratives told from the perspective of an established character. Love Geralt or hate him as a playable protagonist, it's hard to dispute that the progression of dramatic action in the games was entirely based off of that character's unique persona.

Hard if not impossible to craft a game that does what TW3 does...and also leaves itself open to a random, main character. If the story is not catered to Geralt (or some other established protagonist), bye-bye to that magical, nuanced story-telling with our main character directly entwined in it. If the game is built according to an established persona for the player character, bye-bye to that random, open-ended, sandbox game that many people seem interested in.

I think it would be wholly impractical to attempt both. They would be inherently different games.

(Side-note: I seriously hope we do not return to the main characters at all. At least, not directly. They reached a very nice conclusion at the end of TW3, and I would not want to explore that any further. It's a wonderful resolution, and I personally find re-opening such resolutions to be "cheap". It disqualifies the resolution. If we do return to the world of The Witcher, I think it's time for a new cast.)

Last edited:
Please something new, Geralt and Ciri Story is over. I want more variety in the game, after Cyberpunk i expect a game that is more rpg than tw3. Only Sword gameplay is boring and please not only combat skills. I want Skills like Stealth, Pickpocket, Trade, Lockpicking, Alchemy, Rhetoric, Athletics and Blacksmithing.

I think such a mechanic would be almost impossible to pull off. One of the defining characteristics of CDPR's games were finely crafted narratives told from the perspective of an established character. Love Geralt or hate him as a playable protagonist, it's hard to dispute that the progression of dramatic action in the games was entirely based off of that character's unique persona.

Hard if not impossible to craft a game that does what TW3 does...and also leaves itself open to a random, main character. If the story is not catered to Geralt (or some other established protagonist), bye-bye to that magical, nuanced story-telling with our main character directly entwined in it. If the game is built according to an established persona for the player character, bye-bye to that random, open-ended, sandbox game that many people seem interested in.

I think it would be wholly impractical to attempt both. They would be inherently different games.

(Side-note: I seriously hope we do not return to the main characters at all. At least, not directly. They reached a very nice conclusion at the end of TW3, and I would not want to explore that any further. It's a wonderful resolution, and I personally find re-opening such resolutions to be "cheap". It disqualifies the resolution. If we do return to the world of The Witcher, I think it's time for a new cast.)

Which time period / country would you have the new game set?

Which time period / country would you have the new game set?

You have to move forward. There's a reason the Witcher took place when it did, after the events of the books. So at least a couple years after the events of B&W. The witch trials end in 1276... and there's a lot of gray in the timeline after that.

Personally I would say a minimum of 4 and maximum of 10 years, ideally landing in the middle, and it also depends how much work and effort they want to put into the history of the time that's elapsed since the end of B&W.

I wouldn't jump too far ahead unless you want to set it up for a prequel, RDR style. Which is never a bad design if executed properly.

I'd like to eventually meet Jan Calveit, even if it's a really young Jan, but you might have to jump too far ahead to make that happen. Late 1280's? 1290's?

To answer your question directly without all the variables, I would like to see it start around 1280's. I want to see the game set in more than just one country. I.E. Start in Lan Exeter in Kovir and end somewhere in the south, Vicovaro. Or even visiting Cidaris and seeing it's bazaar, there's really so many options for setting, it'll be hard for them to F it up. Don't confine it to one area. Allow for travel into multiple countries. That's what I would like.

they can make a game following Ciri story but with a new lead character where we can choose our gender (male or female) , that will be nice for those of us that dont want to play as Ciri, i will love to have her as companion in the game and romance her ( on another note Geralt is too old at the end of witcher 3 so there was/is no reason for them to do a witcher 4 with Geralt).

Maybe even be a source or a witcher from one of the schools.
(Alvin is alive and hated elfs so.... maybe another Elven vs human war )
Since Sapkowski wont write anymore books about a continuation of this, Cdpr will have full freedom to write them and follow up on some new story, having their own canon ending of witcher 3 into the new witcher (bioware has done it with mass effect and dragon age.. too).

I don't think Geralt is too old, there's evidence in SoS that he's still slaying monsters 100 years post W3
Post automatically merged:

You have to move forward. There's a reason the Witcher took place when it did, after the events of the books. So at least a couple years after the events of B&W. The witch trials end in 1276... and there's a lot of gray in the timeline after that.

Personally I would say a minimum of 4 and maximum of 10 years, ideally landing in the middle, and it also depends how much work and effort they want to put into the history of the time that's elapsed since the end of B&W.

I wouldn't jump too far ahead unless you want to set it up for a prequel, RDR style. Which is never a bad design if executed properly.

I'd like to eventually meet Jan Calveit, even if it's a really young Jan, but you might have to jump too far ahead to make that happen. Late 1280's? 1290's?

To answer your question directly without all the variables, I would like to see it start around 1280's. I want to see the game set in more than just one country. I.E. Start in Lan Exeter in Kovir and end somewhere in the south, Vicovaro. Or even visiting Cidaris and seeing it's bazaar, there's really so many options for setting, it'll be hard for them to F it up. Don't confine it to one area. Allow for travel into multiple countries. That's what I would like.

I like it. Post Witch trials is a must I think but pre- fourteenth century. Although there is an interesting period in the canon called the "War of the the two unicorns" (1309 - 1318) which would be fun to dive into.

It is such a difficult question and decision the creators are faced with. As mentioned above, you need to find the right balance between effective story telling and world building.

I would love an RPG which details the entire continent and you can literally walk from Nilfgaard to Kovir. We'd finally get to explore all of the lands we have heard so much about. BUT, I would not sacrifice the detailed nuanced story telling that CDPR have become so good at for a giant sandbox.

A bigger version of Witcher 3 (preferably with faster loading times) with 3 - 4 nations is realistic in my view. If they can allow us to walk from map to map without fast travel as well that's a bonus.

Personally, I think it's time to venture South :)

Last edited:
I don't think Geralt is too old, there's evidence in SoS that he's still slaying monsters 100 years post W3
Post automatically merged:

I like it. Post Witch trials is a must I think but pre- fourteenth century. Although there is an interesting period in the canon called the "War of the the two unicorns" (1309 - 1318) which would be fun to dive into.

I would love an RPG which details the entire continent and you can literally walk from Nilfgaard to Kovir. We'd finally get to explore all of the lands we have heard so much about. BUT, I would not sacrifice the detailed nuanced story telling that CDPR have become so good at for a giant sandbox.

A bigger version of Witcher 3 (preferably with faster loading times) with 3 - 4 nations is realistic in my view. If they can allow us to walk from map to map without fast travel as well that's a bonus.

Personally, I think it's time to venture South :)

I'd like to see Jan Calveat as much as anybody in the story, but I'd be concerned with how much space they'd have to fill between that. It could easily be done though, and they could tip toe around it with grace.

I just don't want another save the world or the universe story. Let's prevent world war 4, help colonize/protect a new city or village, but I would really like to go through a story that's different than Geralts.

I like the idea of exploration. South, North, middle. Good on going back to Skellige, prefer to see Cidaris and the seaside bazaar. Like the idea if Lan Exeter and Pont Vonis too.

Beauty of it is that they can pick just about anywhere, even the same places, and still make it interesting.

I just don't want another save the world or the universe story. Let's prevent world war 4, help colonize/protect a new city or village, but I would really like to go through a story that's different than Geralts.

Amen. This is a pretty important sentiment when coming up with new and exciting plots.

There's that great excerpt from Time of Contempt at the beginning of the second war about of the group of Aedernian special forces and mercenaries making their stand against the scoia tel at the mountain pass. It was only around four pages long but it's so well written that you're immediately invested in these characters and how they're relationships have developed through the beginning of this war, and honestly could have been my favourite part of the book.

I would love to see this story expanded in a game, maybe not substantial enough for W4 but a shorter campaign format would be incredible.

Top Bottom