The Unexpressed Potential of CP77 (a constructive discussion)

+
Apart from stroy expansions to tie the frayed main story-threads together and give V a chance to extend his life, what this game really needs in my opinion, is more story-based side content that digs deeper into the street life. I think not using the Afterlife as a questhub that evolves with V's street cred gains was one of the biggest mistakes they made.

They could dive deeper into the relationships between the different gangs, introduce interesting gang leaders and individuals, evolve the info brokers from some annyoing people who send V infodumps via phone to some real NPCs with personalities and agendas...I would really like to be able to feel the difference between Street Cred 1 and Street Cred 50 V when you interact with people in the Afterlife and on the streets...
I really, really think that this was ciminally underused and it really takes away from the grit and down-to-earth-vibe you can feel in some other Cyberpunk stories. Vic could have also been a regular quest giver with some freaky body modification-quests, Rogue could have given V really high-level missions...The Mox as described in the artbooks etc had such an interesting story and position in the game world, but you rarely get to interact with them in a meaningful way in the story...And so on and so on.

So much potential...

I think not using the Afterlife as a questhub that evolves with V's street cred gains was one of the biggest mistakes they made.
I think that matches a bit with what you're saying, but I would find it great that instead of having icons on the map, that you have to go and see the Fixer in person to get jobs (and that avoids looking "manually" for jobs if there was no icon, and maybe miss a lot of them).

Example (but could be the same for each Fixer).

Wakako calls you at the start of the game (after "The Heist") and says:
"I have jobs for you V, come see me"
(or she just tells you about it when you go back there to get paid for "The Rescue").
V goes there, and chooses from the list of available jobs, but can only take one at a time (the others are unavailable until V has finished the current one). And for the dialogues, no need to add more, just use the dialogue by phone to a Shard as for "The Heist" with maybe only one more line for V, "Ok, I'll do that" .
V does the job and has to go back to Wakako. If all goes well, she pays you and sends you to an access point to get the bonus (if there is a bonus). If that doesn't go well, she can yell at V in person.

And if Street Cred isn't enough for other jobs, she'll tell you:
"Sorry V, I have nothing left for the moment, come back to see me later".
And she "re-call" V when the V reaches sufficient Street Cred.

(I hope, that make sense and it's clear...)

I'll probably repeat myself, but what Night City needs bad is some dynamic content on the streets / in megabuildings, some events that can pull V in and start a quest (should we choose to intervene) or just to witness. Some unexpected stuff, generating randomly, so that riding or walking along a certain street for the 20-th time isn't exactly the same. Making us actually go talk to fixers in person for each gig wouldn't help much if the city is still so stationary and predictable. I'm pretty sure that after a while it would end up being an unnecessary chore to actually go to the same place, to the same person, and many people would just use fast travel.
Night City needs to be a bit more dynamic and surprising.

I'll probably repeat myself, but what Night City needs bad is some dynamic content on the streets / in megabuildings, some events that can pull V in and start a quest (should we choose to intervene) or just to witness. Some unexpected stuff, generating randomly, so that riding or walking along a certain street for the 20-th time isn't exactly the same. Making us actually go talk to fixers in person for each gig wouldn't help much if the city is still so stationary and predictable. I'm pretty sure that after a while it would end up being an unnecessary chore to actually go to the same place, to the same person, and many people would just use fast travel.
Night City needs to be a bit more dynamic and surprising.

They need to eliminate the fast travel system and add player pilotable vehicles. That alone would expand the scale of the world exponentially.

I mean, what kind of cyberpunk world doesn't have flying cars for anyone who can afford it? o_O

Hm, I get the idea of encouraging people to travel on foot or by vehicle more and explore the city, but removing fast travel altogether would be a bad move, I'm afraid. Fast travel has become a standard in huge open world games these days, especially big titles like CP2077 that are usually aimed at vast audience and high income. I already imagine this uproar among players if CDPRed started subtracting standard functionalities from the game :)
Flying cars though - mmm, that would be SWEET :)

Last edited:
Hm, I get the idea of encouraging people to travel on foot or by vehicle more and explore the city, but removing fast travel altogether would be a bad move, I'm afraid. Fast travel has become a standard in huge open world games these days, especially big titles like CP2077 that are usually aimed at vast audience and high income. I already imagine this uproar among player if CDPRed would start subtracting standard functionalities from the game :)
Flying cars though - mmm, that would be SWEET
Even though I never use it, the fast travel cannot be removed, sound impossible for me. Flying cars (AVs) could be a good alternative :)
But it must be expensive. A flying car for everybody in a city like that could be a nightmare and also insanely dangerous to use... I imagine all the Parisian with a flying car, damn, I will never "fly" in a car there... o_O

Even though I never use it, the fast travel cannot be removed, sound impossible for me. Flying cars (AVs) could be a good alternative :)
But it must be expensive. A flying car for everybody in a city like that could be a nightmare and also insanely dangerous to use... I imagine all the Parisian with a flying car, damn, I will never "fly" in a car there... o_O
I guess implementing it into the game would be problematic, especially that ground traffic is still a bit underdeveloped in the game. Aerial traffic is another level of complication, with changing altitudes, collisions with other cars, buildings etc.
There's an indie game on Steam called Cloudpunk, which focuses on flying cars mechanic: https://store.steampowered.com/app/746850/Cloudpunk/
I guess a simplified system like this would be nice, but like I said, they would need to improve ground traffic and AI first.
Also, just like you said, AVs wouldn't be for everyone, a luxury only for the very rich, so there wouldn't be any intense trafic up in the air, just a handful of cars usually, with one or two defined altitude corridors, so that you can't fly literally everywhere and change height as you will.
Still, a tempting idea!

There's an indie game on Steam called Cloudpunk, which focuses on flying cars mechanic: https://store.steampowered.com/app/746850/Cloudpunk/
I know, I almost bought it while waiting for Cyberpunk :)
But yes, that would require a "big" work, and there is more "urgent" for the moment. in my opinion (or simply a "flying taxi" like in the Corpo lifepath, you say where you want to go and wait during the trip admiring the view).

I know, I almost bought it while waiting for Cyberpunk :)
But yes, that would require a "big" work, and there is more "urgent" for the moment. in my opinion (or simply a "flying taxi" like in the Corpo lifepath, you say where you want to go and wait during the trip admiring the view).
Yes, a flying taxi is actually doable, I think, an automated alternative to fast travel - you just watch the scenery outside the window.
As for Cloudpunk, I recommend trying it. It's an indie game and it shows in design, voice acting and gameplay mechanics. But the story is really nice and the futuristic city has a great atmosphere, closer to Blade Runner mood.

"THE UNEXPRESSED POTENTIAL OF CP77 (A CONSTRUCTIVE DISCUSSION)"

"So, what do you think could make this game REALLY express its full potential? What kind of addition could make you feel more invested in it?"

Cool topic. I'll tell you. One gigantic virtual social lobby with cross-play for every platform, even these forums.

Sony did something like that on their platform and it was a hit. You could play all kinds of games on it together. There were real life 3rd party shop owners that sold all kinds of outfits, costumes, features, places, spaces, houses, games, capabilities for players to use, via microtransactions.

Every week they would offer new content for real life money, and people bought it. Trust me. One player stated they invested over $20.000,00 in it. People made lots a friends on that platform that became friends in real life. Heard even some got married because of it. It was a place to hang, to get back to after work, a place to vent, to unload, to be with friends, that were your real life friends too.

Sony said it even made a profit despite it being a beta throughout its entire life time.
The only reason it ended was because it was said it was a "technological dead-end". Also, though not confirmed, it was a black stain on their brand that its shareholders loved to see wiped yesterday.

I find CP77 very well fitting for a role of social platforming, but it would take very careful planning, and even more very careful executing, as it will easy be one of an unprecedented scale.

"THE UNEXPRESSED POTENTIAL OF CP77 (A CONSTRUCTIVE DISCUSSION)"

"So, what do you think could make this game REALLY express its full potential? What kind of addition could make you feel more invested in it?"

Cool topic. I'll tell you. One gigantic virtual social lobby with cross-play for every platform, even these forums.

Sony did something like that on their platform and it was a hit. You could play all kinds of games on it together. There were real life 3rd party shop owners that sold all kinds of outfits, costumes, features, places, spaces, houses, games, capabilities for players to use, via microtransactions.

Every week they would offer new content for real life money, and people bought it. Trust me. One player stated they invested over $20.000,00 in it. People made lots a friends on that platform that became friends in real life. Heard even some got married because of it. It was a place to hang, to get back to after work, a place to vent, to unload, to be with friends, that were your real life friends too.

Sony said it even made a profit despite it being a beta throughout its entire life time.
The only reason it ended was because it was said it was a "technological dead-end". Also, though not confirmed, it was a black stain on their brand that its shareholders loved to see wiped yesterday.

I find CP77 very well fitting for a role of social platforming, but it would take very careful planning, and even more very careful executing, as it will easy be one of an unprecedented scale.
You talk about something like > Second Life ?
It makes me think of Ready Player One this thing.
"You can sell and fill 80% of a player's visual field before causing a seizure, imagine the potential !!!"
Sorry, but I hope that will never happen for Cyberpunk. At worst, I even prefer a GTA 5 multiplayer :(

FIX the BASICS first!

Entirely REBALANCING COMBAT is a big one for me. This should include better AI including more unpredictable add/reinforcement system. Revamping weapons, armors, mods/slots, cyberware and perks. Less dynamic scaling on enemies to limit overleveling and underleveled issues (also less xp for lower level enemies and more for higher level ones).

Yes, a flying taxi is actually doable, I think, an automated alternative to fast travel - you just watch the scenery outside the window.
As for Cloudpunk, I recommend trying it. It's an indie game and it shows in design, voice acting and gameplay mechanics. But the story is really nice and the futuristic city has a great atmosphere, closer to Blade Runner mood.

You talk about something like > Second Life ?
It makes me think of Ready Player One this thing.
"You can sell and fill 80% of a player's visual field before causing a seizure, imagine the potential !!!"
Sorry, but I hope that will never happen for Cyberpunk. At worst, I even prefer a GTA 5 multiplayer :(
Just FYI: Cloudpunk on consoles doesn't have all the features of PC version and console version seems abandoned. Recommend checking CloudPunk Reddit for relevant information.

That said, it's surprisingly similar to old adventure games what comes to visual style and content. It's very linear and flying cab is just one part of game play, but I can't say I regret purchasing it. It isn't long game by any means but it really doesn't need to be. What is relevant to CP 2077 is that Cloud Punk is one of the reasons why I don't feel like AV's are something I really miss and it's that game isn't really designed for them. I can see they could be cool feature to sightseeing, but that's about it.

Something I remember, though I don't have source at hands. CDPR actually originally had idea about having player having AV's available and it was Mike Pondsmith who slammed the brakes and said, don't do it, it's too complicated. While CP 2077 is, I'm pretty sure about it, future classic, it has its issues even today and people are waiting for patches for good reasons, I think Pondsmith made the right call there.

Something I remember, though I don't have source at hands. CDPR actually originally had idea about having player having AV's available and it was Mike Pondsmith who slammed the brakes and said, don't do it, it's too complicated. While CP 2077 is, I'm pretty sure about it, future classic, it has its issues even today and people are waiting for patches for good reasons, I think Pondsmith made the right call there.

Yet World of Warcraft introduced proper flight to an MMORPG for THOUSANDS of simultaneous players on a single server 14 years ago.

Pondsmith knows shit-all about video game mechanics. He's not a dev. This is a single player game with ZERO server architecture required. People are all too eager to buy into the "we didn't do it because it's too complicated.... from a technical standpoint" nonsense. I sense a theme running amuck here.

Bethesda said the same shit in the early days of Skyrim. Two years later, a modder came up with this: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/61101

Yes. A lone modder. So spare me the "too complicated for our team of pro developers". It's utter nonsense, and AV flight should have been a fully fleshed out core mechanic of the game.

Yet World of Warcraft introduced proper flight to an MMORPG for THOUSANDS of simultaneous players on a single server 14 years ago.

Pondsmith knows shit-all about video game mechanics. He's not a dev. This is a single player game with ZERO server architecture required. People are all too eager to buy into the "we didn't do it because it's too complicated.... from a technical standpoint" nonsense. I sense a theme running amuck here.

Bethesda said the same shit in the early days of Skyrim. Two years later, a modder came up with this: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/61101

Yes. A lone modder. So spare me the "too complicated for our team of pro developers". It's utter nonsense, and AV flight should have been a fully fleshed out core mechanic of the game.
Your post doesn't address at all what I wrote about technical state of the game in release and that including something like players usable AV's sure as heck wouldn't had helped the situation.

I have never played World of Warcraft or Skyrim nor I have any intention to do so.

I think it can be done but i dont think the engien will support it. Im just guessing here but have you noticed the LOD popin when driving cars? Most cars have slower speeds then the Mph meter shows as some ppl have demonstrated in mesuring the time for the car too travel a fixed distance. im guessing they did this to make it stream in assets better(it still cant keep up but), deliberaty lowering the speed too make the game "work" Wow also took forever too allow flying mounts in the old world since they hade no proper textures for looking from above and other issues. Also this city seems not really designed for flying cars not that it cant be fixed but i really really doubt they will ever do it. meby as a fast travel system, but free flying? nah i doubt it.

I think it can be done but i dont think the engien will support it. Im just guessing here but have you noticed the LOD popin when driving cars? Most cars have slower speeds then the Mph meter shows as some ppl have demonstrated in mesuring the time for the car too travel a fixed distance. im guessing they did this to make it stream in assets better(it still cant keep up but), deliberaty lowering the speed too make the game "work" Wow also took forever too allow flying mounts in the old world since they hade no proper textures for looking from above and other issues. Also this city seems not really designed for flying cars not that it cant be fixed but i really really doubt they will ever do it. meby as a fast travel system, but free flying? nah i doubt it.
Yep, my guess is that as well: They can't stream the world around player fast enough. Now with an AV, player naturally has higher vantage point so there would be even more to render in player field of view.

Top Bottom