The unfulfilled love between Yennefer and Ciri and an incomplete family

+
Again a very good and solid post @Kallelinski . As usual.
Tjo, i can only agree....

:like: und hut ab ;)

The worst thing is that the game is simply perfect at times and almost perfect most of the time. But then there are some moments that make you wonder what the hell is happening to this masterpiece and why.

This->This->This !

I asked this myself too, many many times....

Basically, hit the nail on the head. I hope CDPR read this

And change its location on the forums....
/sign......

Last edited:
not even 3 full pages...either I already said everything that needs to be said or....

I thought more people would support this, even if they don't romance Yennefer, she is still her mother no matter what, so I thought even those who didn't romance her would be in favour of this, good to know...that so many only care about something, if it only affects them :(

I tried to show the differences between the book and the game, so even non-book readers could see it with their own eyes.

In the end I really hope CDPR does care just like I do (and how they did care so far) and at least a few among us. It's not like they tried to hide it, they tried to show it subtlely, it's still a game about Geralt, but I still wished there was at least one real family moment. One where all 3 are just happy to be together for the moment

"The world won't end, if we sit here for a while."

Let Ciri show how much she loves Yennefer and not just hint it or just assume it is so, I mean, what it is the worst that could happen with such a scene? That people see a side of Yennefer that isn't bitchy, but caring? A motherly side?

I can imagine that for Yennefer it is already enough for her that Ciri is back and healthy, but imagine how much it would mean for her, if Ciri wants to be called Ciri of Vengerberg again. Especially in the witcher ending it would even make sense that she changes her name a bit, just like Geralt did and why not use the one she wanted to use back then?

Sigh, I seriously don't understand why the thread was moved almost immediately, since I almost exclusively talk about what happened in the books and in the game and compare it, so in my opinion it belongs to story, because Witcher 3 is the personal story of Geralt and therefore Yennefer and Ciri. So talking about it belongs to story and not to "suggestions". I didn't make a list of things I want to see in the game and how is that comparable to "remove slow walk" or "why is F5 not a manual save"?

Now even less people will notice this thread and the problematic I see in this story, because let's be honest, who goes into the subforum "suggestions" to talk about a story element? I didn't.
I also wanted to see if more people see it this way.

I mean look at the responses here, those ain't suggestions, but a discussion about the story.

I hope CDPR cares more about this than the treatment of this thread suggest it, haha, a pun...I could cry...

---------- Updated at 11:24 PM ----------

Oh, I also linked it at reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/3hvqna/the_unfulfilled_love_between_yennefer_and_ciri/

I wanted to see what others think about this and it got more replies than I expected, while this thread here got less than I hoped...

not even 3 full pages...either I already said everything that needs to be said or....

I thought more people would support this, even if they don't romance Yennefer, she is still her mother no matter what, so I thought even those who didn't romance her

I do!

I expect more Yennefer than I had and I'm not buying "it's a self contained story" arguments. This should be fixed before other fixes already promised, but looks like it's not Red priority.

This forum is correctly for discussion of suggestions. Nobody who is not a developer has any right to propose a change to any part of the game as more than a suggestion or a bugfix. No matter how compelling, well thought out, or seemingly necessary. Indirect criticism of the moderators, including criticizing the decision to run this thread in the Suggestions forum, is out of order.

*Raises eyebrow*
*Re-reads topic*
*Stifles laughter... barely*

@Kallelinski

Truth be told you really did kinda exhaust the topic... OP is near perfect. I can not really think up of a way to enrich it...
Except linking some of your own stuff with some of Scholdar's posts on the thematic core of the books. That is a possible thing that should be done. Hmmm. I should probably try.

Again. You basically nailed it with a MOAB on your first try :p

Yeah, I get it...still hasn't changed what I think about this full knowing the consequences.

Well, maybe people could post some actual suggestions then, better than just mourning.

from here
Ciri:
“I thought you didn’t believe in destiny.”

Yennefer:
“I don’t. It’s just a nice saying, my ugly one.”

“Why do you call me that now!” Ciri cried, irritated. After all, it had been many years since Yennefer had called Ciri “ugly one,” something she used to call the girl on a regular basis when she had been a child.

Yennefer smiled. “Because you now know without a doubt that you are not ugly. I called you so when you were a child for the pure sake of the irony, Ciri. You don’t know how lucky you are to have such natural beauty.”

Hearing the almost sad note in Yennefer’s voice, Ciri lifted her head and studied the sorceress.

“Now to get ready for bed,” Yennefer said suddenly, briskly. She waved her hands. “Up, up, you are killing my thigh, girl.”

Ciri got to her feet. “Can I brush your hair tonight?”

Yennefer sighed. “If you must. I was going to just pass out where I was sitting. . . .”

When they had changed into their nightgowns, Yennefer sat at the vanity, yawning as she allowed Ciri to brush her hair. It was getting very late, and they both knew Geralt would not return that night. No, he would pass out drunk at The Cauldron and sleep it off on the floor of Dandelion’s room there.

I also support and really like this topic (had to register account, so I can write this post, my first on this forum), but - like it's been said - first post tells pretty much everything. I must admit, that despite being a big fan of The Witcher Saga and choosing Yen in the game, at first I hadn't notice this problem. Maybe it's because I read the books a long time ago and I just didn't remember that for Ciri Yen was as much important as Geralt. Thanks for making me aware of it, cause now I definetely agree that it's very important and should be noticed.

I'm not following this forum on daily basis, so maybe I'm wrong, but I think that it'll be very hard to make CDPR explain their decisions. Especially that for now I can't see any way to change or repair it, even in incoming DLC's, cause - unfortunately - Ciri probably won't be involved in it's story. I'll probably expand it later, now I'm already late for work. ;)

BTW, I can't go that link o reddit, you're sure it's correct? Or maybe just reddit is down at the moment?

I have nothing left to say on this topic, that already hasn't been said in the previous one that got locked.

By reading the indirect speech and reactions to any Yen suggestions we've brought up, I'd say they want us to chill out and give it a rest.

Trying to force anything from this point on feels icky, so until they give any single positive sign, this is dead and buried for me.

It's a bit shit, but such is life.

I also support and really like this topic (had to register account, so I can write this post, my first on this forum), but - like it's been said - first post tells pretty much everything. I must admit, that despite being a big fan of The Witcher Saga and choosing Yen in the game, at first I hadn't notice this problem. Maybe it's because I read the books a long time ago and I just didn't remember that for Ciri Yen was as much important as Geralt. Thanks for making me aware of it, cause now I definetely agree that it's very important and should be noticed.

Me too, at first I thought everything was just as fine, even after finishing the game, but after thinking about it, reading other peoples opinions here and so on, it made me realize that maybe I am content with it, because I already know it from the books. I already know how important each one of them is for the other one and I transferred this onto the game. But if I look closely to the game and only to it, I begun to see some flaws.

I'm not following this forum on daily basis, so maybe I'm wrong, but I think that it'll be very hard to make CDPR explain their decisions. Especially that for now I can't see any way to change or repair it, even in incoming DLC's, cause - unfortunately - Ciri probably won't be involved in it's story. I'll probably expand it later, now I'm already late for work. ;)

I think with some minor changes it could have a huge impact.

Just let Ciri and Yennefer call each other mother and daughter, it would be such a huge difference in my opinion.

Change those unnecessary dialogues where Ciri is doubting the reason why Yennefer was finding her. She always wanted just the best for her. Going to Emhyr and listen to him for once is not such a bad idea at all, Ciri is grown up and have to make her own decision now and Yennefer is letting her do that. She didn't force her to go to Emhyr, on the contrary Geralt can decide whether she should go or not.

My biggest wish though were that Ciri wants to be called "of Vengerberg", but only when Yennefer can hear it too :)

In my other -still closed- thread we already talked about it a lot, but since it's closed, there was no place to talk about it anymore, so I wanted to take out the biggest problem (for me) and make it an own discussion. Of course a lot people think they already said everything they wanted to, but I thought also people outside of this thread would want to talk about it. It's a huge thread and I doubt so many people can follow it on a daily basis.

Edit: could follow, past tense...

BTW, I can't go that link o reddit, you're sure it's correct? Or maybe just reddit is down at the moment?

The link should be correct:
https://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/3hvqna/the_unfulfilled_love_between_yennefer_and_ciri/

---------- Updated at 09:50 PM ----------

Hmpf...what could have been

---------- Updated at 11:19 PM ----------

I also have the fear that with each day passing, the chance for changes is decreasing dramatically. There will come a day, when they say that's it, The Witcher Series is done and I fear that if we don't address the problems as soon as possible, they might be no more time so it can be addressed by CDPR, if they have the ressources for it.

CDPR said that they didn't plan to make an enhanced version, so that's already limiting our chances for ANY changes in the first place.

I really hate all this criticizing actually and that wasn't my intention in my other thread at the very beginning, I just wanted to talk and read what people think of this Ciri-Geralt-Yennefer relationship, since it was the first appearance in the games and they had such big roles in the books.

As I said once that thread was almost the only one that was pleasant to read, because every other thread was just about criticizing the game.

Especially since my thread got locked I don't know anymore what I can do to make them aware of those issues. As many others also mentioned, it's not like they have to rewrite half of the game to improve it by a lot.

I also doubt they did this intentionally, I think they just thought the same like any other book reader see it, they also already know how much the characters mean for each other, so maybe they just thought that it is good the way it is just like many of us did at first. Sometimes you miss the trees for the forest.

The problem is so obvious and yet I didn't saw it until I had finished the game after >70 hours (I am at 192 hours right now) and spending a lot of time here in the forum, so I don't blame them for not noticing it as well or maybe they just focussed too much on Geralt in this aspect, I don't know, but it would be shame, if it stays like this.

Now without a real RedKit we can't even mod such things into the game, even if we wanted, so our last hope is as always CDPR themselves.

Last edited:
It's fair to assume that Red priority list is weighted by fórum feedback.

Issues like Eredin few lines or lack of Ciri interaction had less posts than Merigold romance. I won't blame them for adress that first.

As we are moved to suggestions maybe it's wiser for us to suggest ways in which Yen - Ciri relationship could improve.

My top priority would be their first meeting. Ciri must say something. Ciri must treat Yennefer at least the same she does with Visemir.

As voicing probably is expensive could be some silent moments in Kaer Morhen, before the battle. Everybody dinning, including Triss and the witchers.

What more?

It's fair to assume that Red priority list is weighted by fórum feedback.

Issues like Eredin few lines or lack of Ciri interaction had less posts than Merigold romance. I won't blame them for adress that first.

As we are moved to suggestions maybe it's wiser for us to suggest ways in which Yen - Ciri relationship could improve.

My top priority would be their first meeting. Ciri must say something. Ciri must treat Yennefer at least the same she does with Visemir.

As voicing probably is expensive could be some silent moments in Kaer Morhen, before the battle. Everybody dinning, including Triss and the witchers.

What more?

I've noticed that it's heavily favored in the opposite direction outside of the forums. Other platforms seem to favor actual plot holes and other seemingly lore-related issues as a higher priority than romance. This is where I stand completely and I'm shocked that more people aren't backing the idea here, but it goes to show just how little people care for actual lore, story arcs and well ... the books, essentially.

As for suggestions, even little things like looking at facial expressions between the two characters could enhance the atmosphere immensely. CDPR did an astounding job in character interactions in general, so I would have faith in them having another go at further establishing said relationship between the family members.

Last edited:
To clarify some points in relations between Ciri - Yenn - it would be great. About "Yenn's plans" and so on. Maybe more dialogues between them could help. (Mini quest or somethink like that).

I thought more people would support this, even if they don't romance Yennefer, she is still her mother no matter what, so I thought even those who didn't romance her would be in favour of this, good to know...that so many only care about something, if it only affects them

Oh, really? :lol: I didn't see your thanks/redpoints under request of "The Triss content and the inconsistency of our romance's choice". :lol:

Guest 3847602

To clarify some points in relations between Ciri - Yenn - it would be great. About "Yenn's plans" and so on. Maybe more dialogues between them could help. (Mini quest or somethink like that).

Oh, really? :lol: I didn't see your thanks/redpoints under request of "The Triss content and the inconsistency of our romance's choice". :lol:

Yes, any clarification is welcome about this issue. Maybe that "Yen's plans" are remainings of some dropped subplot that still exist in the game. Far more likely scenario is that writers simply didn't feel the need to reconnect Ciri with other characters such as Yen, Triss, Mousesack (poor Hjalmar in Kaer Morhen still wonders what would be like to see Ciri again).
About Triss additions - no problems for me, even if I don't get to see her expanded romance in my game, there's no denying that she is pushed aside for majority of the TW3.

Yes, any clarification is welcome about this issue. Maybe that "Yen's plans" are remainings of some dropped subplot that still exist in the game.
This subplot, perhaps?
But around that were wrapped so many layers that things soon got out of hand. For instance, there were once more islands in Skellige, including one called the Isle of Trials, where you'd be imprisoned by none other than Yennefer.

Geez, perhaps its better to stop complaining, the story we got doesn't seem that bad after all :)
To be honest, I would like to see Yenn's plans in motion...

Like this : Yenn's plans are actually good for Blinky...But Blinkilla, annoying brat she is, disagrees and cries to her daddy...And Geralt must choose who to support...

Ah, decisions...I like it complicated... :D

Guest 3847602

To be honest, I would like to see Yenn's plans in motion...

Like this : Yenn's plans are actually good for Blinky...But Blinkilla, annoying brat she is, disagrees and cries to her daddy...And Geralt must choose who to support...

Ah, decisions...I like it complicated... :D

Yennefer's plan - good for Blinky... gather yourself together, man :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom