The unofficial watchlist of cards needing balance or rework

+
In my mind Treant Boar needs to be reworked aka just get rid of the cooldown and allow the order only once. Otherwise, without removal that card alone can win a round and it's not even a high cost card like say a scenario card.

In my mind Treant Boar needs to be reworked aka just get rid of the cooldown and allow the order only once. Otherwise, without removal that card alone can win a round and it's not even a high cost card like say a scenario card.

It's a card easy to remove or lock, and it does only 1 damage per turn (2 per 2 turns), it's like most turn based damage card, except perhaps a little cheaper.

It's a card easy to remove or lock, and it does only 1 damage per turn (2 per 2 turns), it's like most turn based damage card, except perhaps a little cheaper.
Treant Boar costs 8 and is 5 power with two abilities that can be used again and again. Dorregaray of Vole costs 7 and is power 5 and only locks a unit. So this counter is pretty much useless other than it is 1 cost less. I appreciate the challenge to my opinion but it's clear that Treant Boar is way more value than it's counters (or locking cards like Dorregaray of Vole need to be cheaper but I suspect that would lead to really boring play and not fully balance things out because of deck restrictions).

Muirlega and Etriel is way too disurptive and their floor is too high, so they always give good value.

Compare them to Unicorn and Chironex which was nerfed to BAD.

they should remove scenarios from the game, every deck has same tactic is becoming to boring

I do not play scenario in my MO deck and I actually I'm seeing less and less scenario being played besides nilfgard, who can play it twice.

Bear in mind that when I say this I am speaking as someone who is still fairly new to Gwent, so I might be completely off-base with the actual state of the card(s) I'm about to mention. As an avid SY fan (though I haven't quite found a deck that works for me), I fear the strength of Savolla is exceptionally high. I understand that he's a legendary card with a high cost both to craft and to utilize his full potential, but I consistently see him paired with Madame Luiza for specifically this purpose. As a result, the two have become a staple in nearly every SY deck I find online.

Not being a professional game designer or well-versed in Gwent's competitive scene, I don't know how I would necessarily fix this issue (or even if it's a true issue in the first place), but I still think that the pair's near-universality merits keeping an eye on them.

Yghern and Ozzrel is the same way except you can yen ino or heatwave Yghern and Ozzrel will be weaker, plus Bribery can high roll Ozzrel and eat your Yghern or Yghern can be banished in the graveyard.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Yghern and Ozzrel is the same way except you can yen ino or heatwave Yghern and Ozzrel will be weaker, plus Bribery can high roll Ozzrel and eat your Yghern or Yghern can be banished in the graveyard.

Not at all. I already said this here - Savolla, paired with Luiza, is the tall point slam play MO wish they had.

Sorry i cant backup this with provision values since i dont know these by heart, but while with MO, you can deal with an Yghern or Ozzrel with Invo/Heatwave or other tall removal, even if you deal with Savolla's frightener, the SY player still has 12 points on 2x 6pt bodies and 2 coins.

This is one of few cases i wouldnt change the provisions but the points - Luiza should be around 4pts and Savolla just 2 or 3 pts, there's no reason for these units to have such large "bodies".

[...] This is one of few cases i wouldnt change the provisions but the points - Luiza should be around 4pts and Savolla just 2 or 3 pts, there's no reason for these units to have such large "bodies".
In that case Luiza Savolla becomes an 19 for 18 play that requires 2 specific high provision cards, which mostly just work with each other, while the average play exceeds provision cost.
I mean you might as well say "make them so incredibly unplayable that they never see the light of day again".

That aside I agree that the distribution is the culprit and an option ("without" needlessly killing them) would be to just reduce Luiza's body and provisions and stack Savolla's points on the Frightener (e.g. Luiza becomes a 4 for 7 and savolla a 3 for 8 that summons a 14 or 15 point frightener), in that case the Frightener getting aimed at by tall punish might actually be game losing.

they should remove scenarios from the game, every deck has same tactic is becoming to boring

I think so to. I've been running a "toxic meta" deck, so you can imagine what it is. Not only is poison an underdeveloped mechanic, but scenario is quite preposterous. It must be utterly annoying to play against for my opponents. I just spam poison at everything basically.

Then I Assire so I can hopefully play the scenario once more too. It's difficult for the opponent to keep up when I play two cards at once and poison their units too. I mean, even OP cards which is part of the toxic meta.

Skellige play their scenario all at once. Monsters replay gold to get max value from their scenario, ST just spams elves (toxic meta) and NR is boring too, just the same decks with all the machines.

You're right, scenarios does create way more one dimensional decks. It was perhaps an idea to try, but it's not exactly doing the game any favour. Meta decks was one dimensional enough. Not sure if it was the scenarios that was the final nail in the coffin, but at one point only a few decks became viable. Before that "other" decks were still viable.

Perhaps it is just all the currently OP cards making it like that, perhaps scenarios contribute.
Post automatically merged:

In that case Luiza Savolla becomes an 19 for 18 play that requires 2 specific high provision cards, which mostly just work with each other, while the average play exceeds provision cost.
I mean you might as well say "make them so incredibly unplayable that they never see the light of day again".

That aside I agree that the distribution is the culprit and an option ("without" needlessly killing them) would be to just reduce Luiza's body and provisions and stack Savolla's points on the Frightener (e.g. Luiza becomes a 4 for 7 and savolla a 3 for 8 that summons a 14 or 15 point frightener), in that case the Frightener getting aimed at by tall punish might actually be game losing.

It's one of the dumbest combos in the game. I would like to see people pay the tribute for Savolla if they absolutely want to play that. I NEVER EVER see that. Perhaps just remove Luiza from the game, it's a one trick pony card anyways, doing nothing but working with Savolla, or rework her ability to something else, or make her row bound and lockable/removable instead of deploy ability. Like "melee order".
Post automatically merged:

Well, I think this combo should also come at a higher risk. Yghern was not exactly a great addition to the game, but it would be solved if Yghern banishes himself when losing shield instead of going to the graveyard.

That way it does not punish people for not having tall removal or banish, and it gives them a chance to banish without Heatwave/Yen. The card also become a bigger risk for monsters (most likely solved with consume, but then it's a trio) that way and the order of things change and the risk/reward better balanced.

Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran

Expensive golds, particularly point spam ones, always have a negative point/provision ratio, but then have a specific combo to convert that combined ratio into a positivo one (e.g. Yghern/Ozzrel). You make it sound like its hard in SY to get those 2 on a single turn, but i dont remember the last time i saw them bricked (even if you dont get Luiza, paying for Savolla's tribute is still easy and valuable).

You say these 2 together are 18 provisions (thank you for the info). And currently they provide 23 pts (not to mention lots of armor on the frightener). Please tell me one card or combo that is able to offer that many points for so little provisions, without any other setup required.

And currently they provide 23 pts (not to mention lots of armor on the frightener).

Everyone forgets that Luiza has Intimidate and Savolla has Profit 2.

It's almost always more than 23 points. I would say 27 points for 18 provisions. It's not that OP with all the other powercreep around though. Aren't all scenarios at least 20 points? There's bigger balance injustices is all I'm saying.

[...] Please tell me one card or combo that is able to offer that many points for so little provisions, without any other setup required.
Djikstra + Caesar should be 20 or 21 provisions (cannot open the game right now, so that has to suffice) and gives one 7 points an intimidate engine as well and 18 coins, so it is the same with 2 points and 2 provisions more (and requiring a spender is not exactly an additional task for Sy).

DRK3

Forum veteran
Djikstra + Caesar should be 20 or 21 provisions (cannot open the game right now, so that has to suffice) and gives one 7 points an intimidate engine as well and 18 coins, so it is the same with 2 points and 2 provisions more (and requiring a spender is not exactly an additional task for Sy).

Forgive my ignorance, but is Caesar the one that reactivates adjacent profit units? I've never actually seen that play, it sounds interesting.

However, it has downsides that Luiza-Savolla dont - if you kill Dijkstra on a turn, Caesar bricks. You need a 3rd card to spend the coins, which also needs to stick. If it damages, needs viable targets, if it boosts, it becomes vulnerable to reset and perhaps tall removal.
Meanwhile the Luiza+Savolla combo, its almost impossible to stop (the only - hilarious - way i found is to Kambi the savolla, but only works if they leave it for last turn or if you're lucky), and provides a ton of base points (not boosted), on 3 bodies.

Forgive my ignorance, but is Caesar the one that reactivates adjacent profit units? I've never actually seen that play, it sounds interesting.
[...]
It is, in fact Djikstra is an actually worthwhile Renew target, given that Djikstra is 3 points + 9 coins + an engine, although I am unsure if that is not putting it a little too far.
It is interesting but rarely played.

[...] However, it has downsides that Luiza-Savolla dont - if you kill Dijkstra on a turn, Caesar bricks. You need a 3rd card to spend the coins, which also needs to stick. [...]
Yes, however I have seen someone play Renew to expolit an opponent killing Djikstra, which, while expensive, does sound funny, however you have a point that this combo can be stopped, although with cards like Savolla, Street Urchins etc one can easily get 2 adjacent units with combined Profit of 3 or more to break even on Caesar if Djikstra gets answered.
And beyond that, while Caesar's spending is 3 coins for 2 points it is still a decent emergency spender to ensure one can use those coins and it can spend the full 9 coins.
Furthermore Coerced Blacksmith can be used to immediately use the coins Djikstra profits to boost him to 6 or more, spend the remaining coins immediately and as long as Djikstra survives it does not matter if it gets locked for Caesar to get the Profit 9.

[...] Meanwhile the Luiza+Savolla combo, its almost impossible to stop (the only - hilarious - way i found is to Kambi the savolla, but only works if they leave it for last turn or if you're lucky), and provides a ton of base points (not boosted), on 3 bodies.
My point was never that Luiza Savolla can be stopped, however one can force out one of those pieces (with a bleed in round 2 or something like that).

Just to make this clear, I was never of the opinion that Luiza Savolla is balanced, however just reducing the overall points until they become unplayable fails to account for the reason for the combo being strong.
The fact that Luiza Savolla gets out this many points on several seperate bodies is the problem, if the points would be more concentrated in the Frightener the whole combo would be a lot more vulnerable to tall punish (which it is not, if one uses something like Geralt on the Frightener one still uses 1 card to get a 3 point body while the opponent uses 2 cards for 12 points (and the situational intimidate tag), so one still needs a 9 point play, just to get an even result, with something like Heatwave that situation gets even worse).

Edit: In the whole argument before I forgot to account for Djikstra being able to immediately tutor out The Flying Redanian (so Djikstra can be counted as 3+3+9= 15 with an intimidate tag, which means that one could more than break even with Renew during another round).

DRK3

Forum veteran
@InkognitoXI I do not think a severe nerf would make the Luiza+Savolla unplayable. It might make then unplayed, but that's a different thing. The Gwent playerbase is extremely susceptible to nerfs, so it has happened that when an incredibly OP card is nerfed to "just good", it will stop seeing play, even if it's still better than most cards out there.

And another reason why this combo is super popular and the foundation of SY right now is because its super simple and good in every situation, and super simple cards are very popular, that's why Falibor is in every NR deck, Yghern on every MO deck, Oak on every ST deck, etc.

@InkognitoXI I do not think a severe nerf would make the Luiza+Savolla unplayable. It might make then unplayed, but that's a different thing. [...]
There is no reason for a silly nerf like the one Savolla did get.
Savolla was an 11 for 9 when one would play him at exactly 7 coins, now he is up to a 10 for 9.
Luiza is a 15 for 9 with Initimidate, if you want to nerf the interaction focus on Luiza, as Savolla alone is perfectly fine and not really above average.
It is honestly ridiculous how Luiza was able to avoid being hit for the interaction, when it is Luiza being over the top.

DRK3

Forum veteran
There is no reason for a silly nerf like the one Savolla did get.
Savolla was an 11 for 9 when one would play him at exactly 7 coins, now he is up to a 10 for 9.
Luiza is a 15 for 9 with Initimidate, if you want to nerf the interaction focus on Luiza, as Savolla alone is perfectly fine and not really above average.
It is honestly ridiculous how Luiza was able to avoid being hit for the interaction, when it is Luiza being over the top.

I still think leaving Savolla as it is now, it's no good, individually and without considering the tribute cost, its a 17pt play on 1 turn, it just doesnt feel right being SY with the highest point spam play in the game, more than any possible with MO or SK (without using leader ofc).

Turns timer(Like Ciri: Dash) to Luiza could make the card balanced...risk - reward.

"The next tribute (up to 6) this round is free"
Turn start: Increase tribute limit by 1

This way, you have something if Luiza is killed, and the same time your oponent has the chance to figth the combo.

Top Bottom